Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Previously known as Hand of Doom.
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 1,603
1.62/5  rDev -60.2%

Well thankfully everyone else seems to have enjoyed this one. I on the other hand (and everyone one else drinking it with me at the same time), did not.

Pours nice enough I guess with a clouded gold. Everything is downhill from there. All I get is a burning sensation as if the beer was mixed with rubbing alcohol or some solvent. I guess the barrel is to blame for this, but it is completely abrasive and undrinkable. All DIPA characteristics are also overshadowed by this harsh bite. Hopefully this was just a bad keg, but I waited 15 minutes in line at a bar to get this and there were 7 Founders employees in the house (all of whom got to skip in front of us waiting in line lol...). There is really no excuse for this one. Atrocious. (740 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -48.9%

A - a typical, nice IPA color. Orange, caramel like color with a small white head that fades quickly. Thin white lacing .

S - the bourbon and vanilla are right up front with small traces of maltiness underneath. I didn't pick up any traces of floral smell as I was expecting. I figured it wouldn't be a main aroma with this beer but thought there'd be small traces of it, but I didn't pick up any.

T - in the first sip I took I tasted nothing but vanilla. Each drink i took after it was nothing but bourbon. There was an IPA bitterness to the beer but the bourbon and vanilla dominates this beer. The flavors didn't really work well for me.

M - left a dry, bitter finish. the taste of vanilla was leftover after each drink but faded pretty fast.

O- I flat out did not like this beer. I was weary to begin with about an IPA aged in bourbon barrels and how the bourbon and vanilla flavors would interact with the floral, possibly citrus flavor of the hops but this beer just might be the worst I've ever had. My buddy with whom I split the bottle with said he got the flavor of Robitussin. I am usually a fan of Founders and like most of their stuff, but this one needs to go away and never come back. (1,203 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Kept refrigerated since purchased at release. 750ml capped bottle.

A slightly hard pour gives this a huge white head. Hazy golden body picks up some orange hue at the widest points of the glass. Lacing is good but not as good as other similar beers.

Aroma is biscuity, sweet, doughy. Hint of bourbon. As this warms and gets lower in the snifter the hops sneak through but are still dominated by sweetness.

Taste matches. Almost a cloying malt sweetness which is very offputting. Very low bitterness. Doughy. Vanilla sweetness, likely from the barrel. Some fleeting hop flavor on the finish, along with some barrel and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Carbonation is good. Alcohol is very well hidden. The finish seems astringent and that feeling lingers.

Overall this is a very mediocre beer. Hop presence is low, the sweetness is almost entirely unbalanced, and the barrel seems to add sharpness rather than complexity. Reminds me more of an imperial Kentucky Bourbon Ale than a respectable offering from Founders. I couldn't recommend this to anyone but the sweetest of sweet tooths - it is a borderline drain-pour for me. (1,144 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39.6%

Ok the beer looks good when poured into a glass with a rich thick head. The aroma is strange but not totally unattractive. The taste...well this bourbon bomb is not my cup of tea. The hop character in nonexistent and the aftertaste is repulsive. This is the perfect beer if your stranded in the Congo and are being eaten alive by insects as this insect repellant of a beer would save you. I should have buried this in the back yard as a time capsule for generations to discover in the future to see just how far civilization has come.

Bottom Line: taste test this against a can of raid! (588 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is gold and clear. Good white head that stays the entire glass.

Smell is creamy vanilla. Cake icing. Not much hop at all.

Taste is overpowering creamy vanilla with just a touch of bitter hops at the finish. Sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but very smooth.

Overall I absolutely did ot want to finish this beer. The vanilla was cloying, the lack of any real hops for a DIPA was suprising. A sweet vanilla-bomb. (456 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Well, let's see what all the rage is about.

Golden on apricot colored with a thin white sheet. Smells like sweet bourbon and bubble gum and diacetyl. Taste is malt, some nougat, vanilla, artificial caramel, alcohol, very, very sweet. Medium bodied with moderate carb and an off dry finish. Well, this is not what I expected. I have have barrel aged IPA and DIPA's, but this is shit. Sweet, alcoholic, sweet and not very much like the style at all. That being said, if somebody is looking for a desert beer, I'd suggest this as it reminds me very much of a higher end Samiclaus. (578 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%

Bottle into a snifter. I'm inherently distrustful of infusing bourbon and wood into an IPA, even one as bold as Double Trouble. But if any brewer can do it gracefully, it's Founders.

A - Rich, hazy gold with a healthy foam head, about two fingers. Pours more like a Belgian Pale Ale than the Double Trouble base.

S - This is exciting. The toffee/smoke/caramel of the bourbon barrel stings the nose immediately, but the hop presence is not totally overpowered. The citric notes mix with the booze to create something like a peach cobbler nose. Really very well balanced.

T - Honestly, the balance of the bouquet is nowhere to be found in the taste. What you get is a massive bourbon character against a totally diminished Double IPA. It's sickly sweet and smokey, with the booziness smacking you squarely in the face.

M - Heavy, sticky, oily. Pleasant perhaps with a more robust brew, but in Doom its oppressive.

O - As I said, I'm distrustful - probably unfairly so - of any lighter ale getting aged against bourbon (though I loved the Jai Alai White Oak, where the wood complemented the hops perfectly). The smell of Doom promised this might be a genuinely well-balanced brew, but the taste was barely an improvement on swill like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Real disappointment.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph (1,408 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Picked up from a generous local BA. Thanks bro!
Poured into duvel tulip
Pours a deep gold, bit of haze, nice white head, looks good, inviting.
Huge bourbon on the nose, hops hiding in there, some pine touch of citrus. Where my hops at?
First sip... huge boozy bourbon, big bitter... second sip, booze and bitter. third sip oh, theres some citrus in there, bit of orange zest. but this is all barrel here. Honestly, tastes like orange cough syrup to me.
good mouthfeel, not to thick.
I don't think im a fan of the style. The barrel, booze, and hops just don't come together for me. the barrel kills the attributes that I look for in an ipa. (640 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It looks like an IPA and has the clarity to match. NIce orange color, smallish head when poured that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing as you drink it down, though.

Upon first smell, bourbon comes through front and center. I think the bourbon smell overpowers everything else. If you think long and hard while you're smelling, you can detect the hops slightly and the malt/bread smell even more slightly.

Bourbon comes through on the taste as well. But as you drink it, the hops leaves that familiar bitter feeling on the back of your tongue. But the hops does not come through over the bourbon flavor. You more sense the hops presence than actually taste the hops.

Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, nice body. I enjoyed tasting this one, but it leaves me wishing for a true DIPA rather than feeling like I just did a shot of bourbon, tastewise. Glad I tried it but probably won't try it again. (898 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

I had this on tap into a tasting glass at NotB.

The beer is light gold with a hint of orange. Not much carbonation here at all, looks thick.

The aroma is super strong and dominated by hops. Its the strong grain alcohol hops of an imperial that is either great or too strong like in this beer. There is the slightest citrus note at the end.

Like the aroma the taste is way too grain alcohol hoppy sucking on a pine needle pine cone bitter. Some people love this, but for the all around beer drinker its not a pleaseant taste, feeling or experience. Its not at all balanced which if only it was might make this beer drinkable.

The feel is actually pretty nice.

Overall, another too hopped up imperial that is going for all ibu's and nothign else. (749 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

On tap at Capone's yesterday.

Clear orange in color, my 13oz pour of this beer shows excellent clarity and a thin white head is present, receding to a disk rather quick, leaving a little lace. The nose is great, really reminding me of Double Trouble, with citrus and pineapple present with plenty of bright citrus character. Malt character is reserved/non-existent. As this beer warms up, the vanilla and bourbon grow in strength, along with a mild caramel sweetness. The flavor palate opens with a strange combination of hop flavor and booze. The hop character is quite excellent, with pineapple,citrus, lemon and floral character. Malt sweetness is minimal. Vanilla and bourbon are present mid-palate, with the booze lingering on the finish. Bitterness is low, this is all about the flavor hops. The light body, medium carbonation and great hop flavor with low bitterness make for an extremely drinkable beer, but the bourbon heat just detracts from what is an excellent base beer. Why does a DIPA need to be aged in a bourbon barrel?
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5
Reviewed on: 11-28-2009 17:57:09

*Edit: I tried it again at Pizzeria Paradiso on 25 July 2010. The bourbon and oak just don't do it for me, there's too much heat, vanilla and tannins. I couldn't drink more than 2 sips. I'm reducing scores accordingly (1,344 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a brilliantly clear light golden color with medium white head that leaves substantial lacing on the glass. The look is right on for DIPA.

The aroma is very bourbony, vanilla, and wood. There is a VERY faint hint of earthy minty hops in the background but this is pretty far off the mark from what Double Trouble is. I make that comparison as I'm under the impression, Doom is essentially bbal aged DT. This is not what I'd want in an IPA.

The taste is similarly disappointing in that it is seemingly a very bitter bourbon barrel aged alcohol bomb with little-to-no malt foundation to carry the heavy bourbon flavors. Very little hops in the flavor and a quite astringent bitterness in the back end make this beer subpar for me.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy like a good bbal beer should be. It almost rounds out at the finish but there is a definite astringency in the finish that seems to be a combination of high IBUs and barrel chat character.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of this beer. I'm usually a big Founders fan but there barrel offerings recently have been over extracted or off the mark. (1,106 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -26%

Golden body with an orange hue to it. A soapy white head produces thick sheets of lace.

Loads of vanilla, honey, sweet syrupy citrus, a bit of melon, caramel. The bourbon is pretty tame on the nose.

Well THIS is weird. I found the bourbon - it's on the palate. Cheap, artificially sweet Kentucky Beau overwhelms what would have been a tasty IIPA. Sweet honey and citrus flavors beneath that... vanilla and caramel, brown sugar.

I hope this concept doesn't catch on. Bourbon + IPA = confusion.

I'd love to see more IPA's aged in fresh oak or with oak chips. That there is a style I could jump on board with. (613 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to Eric (Holland ) for the share! I've been wanting to try this, but haven't gotten around to opening my bottle, or going out to get it on tap.

Definitely an "interesting" beer here. Poured seemingly normal for an IPA, as I would've expected, golden-honey color with a slight haze, and a small white head that receded to a retaining ringlet; dabs of lacing on the glass. There was quite a pronounced bourbon/vanilla profile right up front in the nose, which was pretty nice; soon thereafter, the hops came in, bitter, fruity, piney, more bitter; underlying notes of fusel alcohol. The taste was similar...I liked it for about 0.5 seconds or so, as the vanilla and bourbon came through right up front, but soon the hoppiness struck, and the flavors just clashed so much, it just wasn't enjoyable at all. Any smoothness from the bourbon melded with the otherwise intense Double Trouble hoppiness, producing an uncomfortable grainy booziness, with an extremely bitter finish and aftertaste. I was skeptical about this beer from the start--as were many people, I suppose--and my skepticism was pretty much justified. This beer really just didn't work. Mouthfeel was harsh, body was about medium, drinkability was...well, I had enough after 5 ounces.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to age my bottle for at least 5 years and see what this beer turns into. I doubt aging could cause any further damage, so why not? (1,420 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance: Relatively clear copper. Some burnt orange thrown in there as well. Head is off-white and creamy. Drops to a small cap and light bubbly collar in short order. A bit more carbonation than I would expect from a barrel aged beer. Some splotches and streaks of lacing.

Smell: A nice soft bourbon influence. Woody with some vanilla. Loaded with caramel malts and some caramel sweetness. The citrus heavy hops manage to push through, but they definitely carry that sense of age. Warming pulls a bit more bourbon. Cooked and caramelized malts come up on toffee. A bit leafy and herbal on the back. Gives a nice complexity to the base beer. A hint of mint and alcohol in the back.

Taste: More of the same. Slightly sweet with a syrupy element. Loaded with bourbon, but it's not hot. Vanilla, wood, caramel, and something almost smoky. Warming pushes tons of bourbon through. A bit hot on the finish. Some heavy citrus, mostly grapefruit, comes through as well. Some mint, oily pine, and pith. Caramelized malts run the gamut. Caramel, toffee, and even some brown sugar sweetness in the back. Very woody. Something like smoke lingers in the back.

Mouthfeel: A bit thing for the style, but that's par for the barrel. Medium to low carbonation. Surprisingly clean on the finish. Nothing to write home about, but not terrible either.

Overall: Harold Camping approved.

Not bad, not great. It tastes like you poured some bourbon in Double Trouble and let it sit for a couple days. Not as hot as the usual Founders barrel aged beer, which is nice. (1,551 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Draft offering at Al's of Hampden served in a snifter. The brew pours a beautiful polished clarity of amber orange with a finger of quickly dissolving white head. A swirl revies a finger and paints spots of lacing effect on the glass.

The aroma is what you would expect. As advertised, it smells of vanilla from the barrel aging blended with a fruity note of hops/alcohol. As more smells are taken, it gets progressively more solvent/fusel with the vanilla character almost coming across fake and candy-like.

The flavor of this brew is an absolute trainwreck. The first couple of sips arnt that bad and by a couple of sips I mean an ounce or 2. The vanilla inclusion is present but it blends into solvent alcohol that immediately tastes like burnett's bottom shelf vodka. (You know, that vodka that costs like $5 a gallon.) The interplay between artificial tasting vanilla, neutral alcohol and faint hop inclusion makes for a very clashing brew that just isnt that good.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. I was really excited for this one and really wanted to like it. However, I am glad I got to try this on draft at a modest price. Had I shelled out the money for a 22oz bottle of this I would be pissed. I dont know whats going on at Founders but these past 2 backstage releases have been borderline atrocious. Unless you like 1-noted alcohol bombs, this should be avoided. (1,413 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a totally translucent ginger ale dark piss sort of color with a nice two fingers of head on it that holds nice retention and lacing on the glass.

S= The smell is quite hot to be honest. A lot of the bourbon barrel comes through in the nose. There is a nice hop aroma that comes through as well but the aroma is dominated by bourbon, vanilla, and hot alcohol.

T= The taste is similar to the nose. A little lighter on the alcohol but that may be bacause the hop profile is amplified hiding a bit of the booze. The bourbon comes through greatly and there is a nice vanilla aroma. It actually isn't as bad as I though coming from the nose but I still don't think it's on par with some of the other bourbon barrel IPAs I've had.

M= The mouth is great on this one. Nice soft beer.

O= Founders makes some amazing beers. This just so happens to not be one of my favorites. It's still a solid beer but it's not as mind blowing as I was hoping. This beer is good but not great. Try it and see for yourself. I was hoping for a bit more of a hop punch. Maybe another dry hopping or something. Who knows. (1,125 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Bomber poured into snifter:

Hazy dark orange with minimal white head, very little lacing. Head fizzles away within seconds.

Big nose of oak, charcoal, caramel, malt, some citrus and hops. Makes a good impression.

Mouth is filled with malt sweetness, confronted with bitter hop goodness, followed by the whiskey barrel taste. It's not that well-balanced, and comes across as schzio. I think the whole "barrel-aged" crap is out of hand, and brewers should just lay off of it.

Medium body, with average carbonation.

I think "barrel-aging" any kind of IPA is a disgrace. This isn't bad, and is certainly more than drinkable, but give me a straight up, unaltered DIPA or IPA anyday. (682 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

On-tap at Churchkey, served in a snifter.

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of white head, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Pretty even blend of vanilla and piney hops, there's some oak and bourbon in there too. The bourbon/vanilla character isn't bad, but the hops are pretty muted.

T- Some piney bitterness at first, again the hops are very bitter but none of the hop flavors really jump out at you. After the initial bitterness subsides the barrel takes over. Lots of vanilla, bourbon and oak. The barrel character is actually pretty nice, but doesn't fit with the other things going on here.

M- Medium-bodied, slick, slightly sticky feel, considerable amount of boozy heat on the finish.

O- Before I tried this I would have told you that a bourbon barrel aged DIPA was a really stupid idea. That is exactly what I would still tell you now. These flavors don't work together. It's a shame, because Double Trouble is actually a very good DIPA, what a way of putting it to waste. (991 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A DIPA thrown into a bourbon barrel, OK I guess, let's see how this goes, i'm game. Served in a tulip.

A- Hand Of Doom does not look all that DOOM dayish to me. The color is nice with a mix of bright orange with some light amber appearence shown as well. Im going to say this looks exactly like Founder's Double Trouble(because hat's what this is essentially) but without a strong head. The head was a bright white color but was just a few centimeters high with no lace. I know this was thrown into a barrel but I would of thought this tap version would bring some liveliness to this.

S- Well, this one is mainly giving off a lot of bourbon and some wood from the barrel. With that a big whiff of alcohol is detected. The DIPA portion of this is really lacking in the smell department. Under the hard alcohol the hops do give off very minimal traces of grapefruit and pine. What's odd is that I'm smelling peaches which I did not find in the regular double trouble. What I do like about the barrel is it gives off just a whiff of vanilla.

T- Well the hops seem to have faded in this, or they are just overpowered by the bourbon, I believe it's a mixture of both. At first Im getting big shots of Kentucky bourbon and the heat and alcohol that comes with it. After that some underlining wood with the ever popular vanilla taste that goes with it. And after that Im greeted by the base beer with faint traces of it's former self (pineapple, grapefruit, slight mango) I do get some of those peaches in taste as well. This ride is finished by a malt sweetness which is welcomed by me. All in all DOOM is not that well balanced IMO.

M- Hot and bothered. This one holds no punches back in the roughness department. I wonder how much time this spent in the barrel. The hops really must of got the shit beat out of them by the bourbon because they are not bittering up my tounge which I love dearly. DOOM is medium bodied while the carbonation could of been upped just a tad in my book. This is not a smooth ride.

D- Well im glad I tried DOOM and am actually grateful that Founders sent a few kegs our way here in SEPA. With that said this was a one and done kind of beer for me. It was even a bit hard for me to finish my tulip of this elixir. I'm glad Founders had the balls to do something like this though because you don't see amny DIPA's in barrels. A good experiment with not so great results, hopefully founders can work out the kinks of this in the future, I have faith they will. (2,486 characters)

On-tap at Hopcat:

A: A light pale color with a little bit of head.

S: Similar to double trouble; citrus and pine aromas.

T: Taste is a little too piney and not what I'd hoped for. Malty and thick.

M/D: Decent drinkability, but frankly I'm disappointed by this brew. (269 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bright sunny orange in body with big, fluffy head that lasts. Aroma of sweet citrus syrup and stinging alcohol. Tastes of caramel, citrus syrup, booze, and aftertaste of elephant peanuts. Medium chewy body with light carbonation. The hops seemed to have disappeared in this bottle. Good but that not good. (305 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

I think Founders is a fantastic brewery and produces some of my absolute favorites (their stouts and porters are among the best in the world), but this one just bombed out, to be quite frank.

Starting out with the appearance, I would guess this was a weak pilsener from the pale color (slightly golden yellow) and thin fizzy head. It smelled more like an oaky wine than a beer and I had a hard time picking out any real hop presence in the aroma. Taste was the best part of the experience, with a nice punch and some decent bourbony flavor, but there was no substance behind it, nothing to back up the sweetness, nothing to follow up at the end to clean up the palate. The flavor just hits with some heat and spice, then fades away quickly with no mouthfeel or creaminess. I'm actually being generous with my rating, as I don't feel this brew was offensive in any way and it certainly seems better than BMC swill, but as a "complete" beer, it totally misses the mark. My personal rating gives this a B-, no higher. I would not buy this again.

EDIT: As this beer warms, the flavors definitely become more pronounced and the mouthfeel becomes more full. However, I don't believe this changes my review, as the overall product still seems inadequate and misses the mark. I would much prefer a good barleywine or fresh DIPA rather than this, at a much lower price. Again, it's decent and definitely qualifies as a "good" brew, but it misses the mark in terms of a fulfilling brew. (1,478 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Presentation: 750 mL bottle chilled and poured into my Hill Farmstead stemware. I figure this should be best fresh, so opening this up tonight.

Appearance: Light to medium orange in color with a little haze. Pours a decent white head that settles into a light lacing. So far, so good.

Aroma: Bright citrusy hop tones are a bit covered up by light bourbon, caramel, vanilla bean and butterscotch. The really bright tones from the hops are made a bit heavier but the barrel aromas.

Taste: The bourbon really hits hard on the first sip. Big brash bourbon and caramel combined with a really strong booze character. The bitterness from the hops seems to bring out the pure, raw bourbon character. There is some bright orange zest and lemon tones that come through but they really don't do much to increase how refreshing this is. Butterscotch and caramel provide some interesting tones as well. Cannot seem to make up its mind as to whether it wants to drink like a refreshing IPA or a heavy barrel aged ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but really nice and crisp. Drinks like a really tasty IPA. Just doesn't have the flavor to match.

Overall, this really doesn't come together under one coherent idea. It wants to be refreshing like an IPA but also wants the smooth sipping notes and complexity of a barrel aged beer. Classic example of a beer that tries to do a little bit of everything and ends up not doing any of them well. I really like the base IPA and the barrel aging also provides some nice tones, but the hops really bring out the worst characteristics of the bourbon and vice versa. Not upset I tried this but I was left a bit underwhelmed. (1,651 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Dark, hazy amber body. Good head height and good retention. Nice lacing.

S: Boozy, heavy malt presence. Mostly caramel. Some citrus hops shine through the booze and malt.

T: Tastes like a smooth, woody pot still Irish whiskey. Reminiscent of Redbreast 12 actually. Interesting since I really didn't get any bourbon notes. Light citrus hop bitterness. While I like my Irish Whiskey... it didn't quite work here.

M: I like my beer to feel like beer. Hand of Doom didn't quite have a burn to it, but rather was a thick, slick, oily, greasy like feel to it.

D: All in all, it was an interesting attempt. Personally, I think it failed to really hit the mark. (660 characters)

Founders Doom from Founders Brewing Company