Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
deuce9259

nrs207

04-25-2013 12:25:36 | More by nrs207
nootch23

1.95/5  rDev -52.2%

A - a typical, nice IPA color. Orange, caramel like color with a small white head that fades quickly. Thin white lacing .

S - the bourbon and vanilla are right up front with small traces of maltiness underneath. I didn't pick up any traces of floral smell as I was expecting. I figured it wouldn't be a main aroma with this beer but thought there'd be small traces of it, but I didn't pick up any.

T - in the first sip I took I tasted nothing but vanilla. Each drink i took after it was nothing but bourbon. There was an IPA bitterness to the beer but the bourbon and vanilla dominates this beer. The flavors didn't really work well for me.

M - left a dry, bitter finish. the taste of vanilla was leftover after each drink but faded pretty fast.

O- I flat out did not like this beer. I was weary to begin with about an IPA aged in bourbon barrels and how the bourbon and vanilla flavors would interact with the floral, possibly citrus flavor of the hops but this beer just might be the worst I've ever had. My buddy with whom I split the bottle with said he got the flavor of Robitussin. I am usually a fan of Founders and like most of their stuff, but this one needs to go away and never come back.

04-25-2013 12:06:41 | More by nootch23
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

750ml Backstage series bottle, vintage 2013, shared with a buddy in Russian River snifters today 4/24/2013.

Aroma: There's just something interesting about this that piques my interest. I definitely smell citrus- grapefruit, pineapple, orange zest at the beginning, plus some vanilla and oak which are presumably from the bourbon barrel. BUT, as it warms up, it all blends into something like peach, maybe even a little bit of apricot. Its hard to explain, but the smell starts out individually as the DIPA and the bourbon barrel contribution, but ends up blending into a peach sort of scent. I'm very surprised as I expected something like the first part only, something more separated but this comes together surprisingly well in a good way. (5)

Colour: Definitely a hazy dark amber body. But when I pour it, it starts out a really light, golden colour like a Belgian blonde, with tons of bubbles coming up and almost a minute later, it turns a very dark, hazy amber/copper body. I was transfixed by this particular transformation- never really saw a beer do that. Comes with a big fluffy 2cm white head that sticks around for more than a minute, and the lacing is pretty darn good. (4.25)

Flavour: Similar to the nose- the hops are very fresh and I get a good bit of citrus on its own when its chilled out the bottle. There's also some toffee and breadiness, which I imagine is from the Double Trouble contribution. And then there's a good bit of vanilla and oak, which I imagine is from the barrel. But I don't get a whole lot of actual bourbon. When it warms up, it starts tasting very similar to a White Oak Jai Alai- peachy and oakey. Very cool, balanced but nothing unique. Still a very enjoyable flavour set. (4)

Mouthfeel: Thinner side of medium body, great carbonation that leaves a good fizziness on the tongue after each swallow. The finish is dry and smooth yet refreshing. Its on the lighter side for a DIPA but isn't hard to drink- the heat is pretty well disguised or not there in the first place. Not difficult to drink for sure. (4)

Overall: Pretty cool beer. It took me back to when I drank the CCB White Oak Jai Alai that I bought back from the brewery- its really similar to that, but everything is a bit more intense. I wish there had been a little bit more bourbon to distinguish it, but overall it was a very interesting experience and I'm glad I picked up one bottle. That being said, I'm also glad I didn't go crazy and hunt down 5 bottles. I'll happily drink it again if offered but I won't necessarily pay the asking price to drink it again. (4)

04-25-2013 07:10:29 | More by Stevedore
Joey1566

04-25-2013 05:05:05 | More by Joey1566
kawilliams81

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a GI snifter.

A- pours caramel color with a 1 finger white head. Thin wall of lacing coats the edge of the glass on the surface of the beer.

S- huge vanilla aroma, bourbon, citrus (pineapple, orange)

T- honey, pineapple and grapefruit, vanilla, bourbon, and some bitter citrus rind.

M- medium body and carbonation. Very light heat but drinks surprisingly easy.

O- nice beer and better than I expected. Vanilla and bourbon works very well with the base beer, and the citrus is not as muted as you would think.

04-25-2013 03:15:49 | More by kawilliams81

Indiana

04-25-2013 01:23:29 | More by FlandersNed
JamesShoemaker

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml poured into my snifter. This is my first Backstage that I had to wait for, from announcement to release. It was awful, but worth it.

A - great looking beer. Pours like gold, yellows and greens on top that settle orange in the bottom of the glass. Very little head, even off the forced pour, not unexpected from an aged beer.

S - subtle, but tasty. I get only traces of the hop profile from the initial whiff, but the bourbony sweetness is heavy throughout. Actually, it's a little bitter, almost chemical, towards the end, which isn't super pleasant.

T - I expect to find that same bitter unpleasantness, and I do for a moment, but it recedes into the bourbon barrel taste. Actually, the nice thing about the BBA DIPA is that it isn't overwhelming in the mouth. The flavors here are subtle and blend nicely, not one thing stands out in particular. Still, it's not my favorite taste, just balanced.

M - good, though a little booze heavy. The bourbon imparts sweetness, but it's not viscous at all. Hardly any carbonation.

O - a good brew, but not one that I would regularly pay $17.99 for. (I understand that that's lower than some, but still.) Founders has better seasonal barrel age stuff to go in for, and surely better barrel age releases to follow in their Backstage.

04-25-2013 00:55:41 | More by JamesShoemaker

04-25-2013 00:45:16 | More by pirmannt1
daledeee

Iowa

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%

Found a bottle of this at HyVee. The beer stores sold out right away. I quickly snatched it up and am drinking it as soon as I get home.

Poured a pretty clear golden color. Not overly heady but good lacing.

Immediate nose is oak/whiskey barrel with vanilla and booze.

Taste: Quite a nice twist to others. Plenty of bourbon flavor but also a nice hops profile. This is not on the Cascade side, it is more tropical and mellow. Some of the hop intensity probably mellowed with aging. You know what, that is OK once in a while. Other hints of sweetness and vanilla finish this out.

Mouthfeel is a true delight. Very creamy with average carbonation. I like this.

A very distinctive and enjoyable drink. I can't think of whiskey barrel aged IPA that I have had. Too bad it is limited to a few bottles.

04-25-2013 00:44:31 | More by daledeee

District of Columbia

04-24-2013 23:20:24 | More by Rhettroactive
oberon

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Glad to get one of the few bottles that Roger has over at Bestway.Poured into an imperial nonic a...like others have notes a honey tinged lighter golden with a nicely formed half finger white head atop that left multiple broken rings of lace behind as it settled.Aromas were lighter than expected but some nice vanilla/bourbon and sweet fruity notes were there,the hops were somewhat subdued giving off light resiny notes.One thing I will say about the flavor profile is that the bourbon barrel is a major flavor component but it doesn't smack you in the face,all the flavors seem to be more subtle but still providing enough.The hops are more leafy and slightly citric,a good shot of peppery spice hits in the back end.Not in your face bourbon or alcohol in my opinion but neither are the hops,a very good beer with out big hops.

04-24-2013 22:13:25 | More by oberon
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A – A vibrant, translucent, golden orange with a nice slightly-creamy head and lacing. It’s an attractive beer; it's just the color I like to see in my IPA/IIPA.

S – Bourbon booze, charred wood, and some slight earthy legumes in the background. The hops are certainly in the backseat. Pine and slight sweet citrus with a bit of candied lemon peel as it warms.

T – At first, it feels a bit muddled. There’s a big bourbon booze burn in the finish. The warmth that lingers is nice and woody followed by the hop bitterness. So far, I think the finish is the highlight of this brew.

M – Very smooth… Velvety and coats the tongue well.

O – Double Trouble is not my favorite IIPA, but I have a lot of faith in Founders. Also, I have to admit that it went really well with my spicy Chilean baked fish. I’ve got another bottle, so I’ll be interested to see what happens to this one over time. I think it’s a little too booze heavy, so I’m hoping that mellows out and allows some of the other flavors to not be over powered.

04-24-2013 22:05:22 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
BrianJohnson

South Carolina

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

It looks like an IPA and has the clarity to match. NIce orange color, smallish head when poured that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing as you drink it down, though.

Upon first smell, bourbon comes through front and center. I think the bourbon smell overpowers everything else. If you think long and hard while you're smelling, you can detect the hops slightly and the malt/bread smell even more slightly.

Bourbon comes through on the taste as well. But as you drink it, the hops leaves that familiar bitter feeling on the back of your tongue. But the hops does not come through over the bourbon flavor. You more sense the hops presence than actually taste the hops.

Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, nice body. I enjoyed tasting this one, but it leaves me wishing for a true DIPA rather than feeling like I just did a shot of bourbon, tastewise. Glad I tried it but probably won't try it again.

04-24-2013 21:21:26 | More by BrianJohnson