Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)

josephwa, Apr 22, 2013

GRFounder, Apr 21, 2013

warnerry, Apr 20, 2013

MallyOMight, Apr 20, 2013

lorenwhite7, Apr 19, 2013
4.91/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this on tap, as well as from a bottle (750ml).
To start with, let me explain that my favorite Double IPA ever has been the Double Trouble by Founders. I was on board with this bourbon barrel version since I first heard of it.

A - Poured a low thin head, but was able to leave behind some lacing. The color was very clear, a bit more to a pale amber than gold, but very deep.

S - Sweet, Slightly Hoppy, Citrusy, Oak Barrel... All the factors of this beer come through in a very balanced way.

T - Surprised! I was not expecting the spicier notes of the barrel but more of the Bourbon that was not even as strong as I anticipated. Obviously built on the back bone of an IPA, this thing has balance. At 10% ABV, its too well hidden and this one goes down easy. EXCELLENT, too bad its not a regular beer for them, I could enjoy this for years to come.

M - Smooth, Full, yet complex and clean finishing with just enough sweet and hoppy tail to remind you you just tasted near perfection.

O - I want more, I want it often. Pricy but well worth the $$. I reccommed this to any beer drinkers that like bourbon barrel aged beers. Good luck trying to score some unless you can hit the taproom this week, this won't be lasting long.

Ken2Brew4taste, Apr 19, 2013

supa0525, Apr 19, 2013

MoreAbv, Apr 17, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle poured into a snifter.
10% ABV,

A - Vibrant golden in color, Doom pours with a firm white head that lingers with Swiss cheese-like holes letting the clear beer show through the cap below dots of lace which adorn the glass.

S - Doom's subtle barrel-aging imparts a smooth note of vanilla which pairs well with the plush, juicy tropical fruit hop aroma of candied passion fruit and mangoes. Blending in nicely is caramel and Munich malt sweetness before the aroma finishes with a soft touch of bourbon and oak.

T - While decidedly malt-forward, this double IPA doesn't lack hops, it's soft underbelly of robust tropical fruit flavors do give way to the sweetness and barrel-aging, however. Munich and caramel sweetness linger with a light (real) maple syrup-like flavor which works well with it's time in barrels. Oak and notes of vanilla are a unique addition to the fruity-hopped beer while the finish trails off with a touch of the liquor.

M - Full-bodied but quite smooth, Doom has a big feel that captures each essence of the beer nicely; soothing, warm alcohol from the barrel, sharp, almost tart hop bitterness, and plenty of sweet malt to balance it all out.

O - Doom runs the gamut of aromas and flavor profiles for a unique beer that works very well. The hops' respective qualities pair well with the barrel-aging process' natural characteristics. It's not too big, not too boozy; in fact, it's just right and surprisingly smooth!

BeerFMAndy, Apr 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

cadaugherty, Apr 16, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

YCantWeNotBeSober, Apr 16, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Founders right after I picked up my 2 bottles.

Appearance pretty standard. Small head initially froths up with some swirling. Decent lacing.

Bourbon and oak are the first thing I get on the nose but they're pretty deep and not overpowering. Would have expected a bit more hops up front and while they're there they take a back seat to the bourbon. Smells sweet and fresh.

For taste... Again the first thing I'm hit by is the bourbon and yet it isn't too aggressive. Oak's there too. As with the smell I think the hops are taking a back seat to the barrel aging qualities. The sweetness I associate with double trouble is for sure there but seems toned down. Creamy. I feel like all the flavors are blending well and in the vehicle of the medium body with low carbonation we've got quite a nice, well-balanced, quaffable beer. Really seems appropriate for this time of year, right between winter warmers and summer sessionable ales.

A really pleasant beer. Not something I'll be rushing out to have more of but next time I'm here I'll probably order again. Be interesting to see what happens with age as the hop presence already seems understated.

totalbangover, Apr 15, 2013

erlenmeyer, Apr 14, 2013

lpayette, Apr 12, 2013

dmorgan310, Apr 12, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston, TX. The first time Founders is officially available in Texas.

A: Pours a hazed orange/red color. A white head forms with small and fine bubbles rising to the top. Some lace is left behind as well.
S: At first, a juicy grapefruit aroma up front. After this warms a noticeable sweetness comes out. Just a bit of vanilla from the barrels.
T: Follows the nose with grapefruit and piny bitterness up front. A light sweetness. Then, as this comes to room temp, the barrel is apparent. Vanilla, and wood flavors. Alcohol as well.
M/D: A medium to full body that is a bit low on the carbonation. Certainly not under carbonated at all. Sticky and syrupy. This is a slow sipper for me. The alcohol is pretty potent.

Overall, fairly simple though I still enjoy it. Certainly not near the the quality of some other Founders offerings, and I will not take this over many of those. Still worth a try.

champ103, Apr 11, 2013

Tiernan, Apr 09, 2013

HattedClassic, Apr 08, 2013

ScaryEd, Apr 07, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was released early in Maine along with KBS. I drank this on 4/4 and in summation: "I liked it." Definitely worth $12.99, and if you like DIPAs and bal-aged beers, you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind that while there are still some hoppy notes to the beer, this tastes nothing like Double Trouble anymore. Also, the bourbon notes are very sweet. I like sweet, so 750 mL of sweetness didn't put me off, and I drank it slowly while watching a movie. However, if you're not ready for that strong Jim Beam-type sweetness, let it cellar. Little to no boozy burn, so for a fresh bal-aged beer it's not very hot, nor is there much resiny hop bitterness. There's some vanilla, oak, and coconut in there too: reminded me of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale but with a much better base beer. I'm curious to see how this morphs with aging (i.e., how long it tastes for the sweetness to mellow a little bit and head toward barleywine territory). Fresh, this beer is as advertised: it smells and tastes like a DIPA aged in bourbon barrels. I was a little iffy about this beer at first, but in the end I'm glad I tried it. Now then, where art thou Black Biscuit?

ElGallo, Apr 06, 2013