Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Previously known as Hand of Doom.
Ratings: 1,598 | Reviews: 320
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Founder's Doom a couple weeks ago for 12.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a big fan of Double Trouble and I'm interested to see how the Bourbon barrels work with the base DIPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, this was a late spring release from the Backstage Series, it isn't super fresh, but it isn't old either. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's pretty simple but it has a nice clean and classy look it. It poured a nice slightly clear golden yellow color that took on some nice orange hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left tons of sticky lacing behind. This is one great looking beer, the color, head and lacing were all really good looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the bourbon barrels, there's some nice vanilla, oak, and wood aromas with a lower medium amount of bourbon coming through that doesn't seems to smell boozy. Up next comes some big and juicy tropical and citrus fruit hops aromas with no one fruit sticking out with some piney aromas in the background. Towards the end I get a light butterscotch aroma. The aroma was pretty good, the tropical and citrus hops seems to blend nicely with those great aromas that the barrel imparted.

T- The taste seems to fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some caramel and dark bread like malt flavors that give way to some nice barrel flavors with some vanilla, oak, and bourbon coming through that has a little more booze to it then did in the aroma and it's a little warming. On the finish comes the hops which take on a pretty noticeable piney flavor with some citrus hops showing up a little in the background with a medium amount of bitterness and a oak and vanilla like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, but the hops weren't as juicy and fruity as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly sticky, on the slightly fuller side of being medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly fizzy. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good a beer and a good example of the style, the barrel aspect wasn't too overpowering and blends well with the hop profile, but it lost a good amount of that juicy citrus and tropical fruit hop aspect from the aroma which made the finish fall a little short. This beer had decent drinkability, I could drink a whole bottle to myself, but this is the type of beer that I wouldn't mind sharing so half a bottle is good with me. What I like the most about this beer is how balanced the barrel aspect is, Founders has some skills when it comes to barrel aging beers and it really shows in this odd clash of styles, I got a lot of nice barrel flavors and aromas without all the booze that sometimes comes with it. What I like the least about this beer was how muted the hops were when I got to the taste, the barrel must have cut down on some of the juicy and tropical fruit hop flavors, I missed that, and I wish there was a way that the hop profile wouldn't lose it's intensity by going in the barrels. I don't know if I would another bottle if they released this again, it's solid but it is a little pricey, but I could see myself ordering a glass of it if I saw it on tap, I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of barrel aged beer since I felt the barrel is really represented well in this beer. All in All I liked this beer, I thought it was good, but it wasn't as great as I think it could have been, being such a big fan of Double Trouble the somewhat muted hop flavors left me wanting a little more, but I was completely satisfied with the barrel aspect of this beer. I have had a couple Barrel Aged IPA's and while this isn't my favorite, it's a good beer nonetheless, I have a feeling that we will be seeing more of this style in the future. Good job Founders, If anybody could nail the barrel aspect in an IPA it's you guys and that just what they did, but the hops left me wanting a little more. I really like how creative Founders is, they showed they can take risks and I'm all for future experiments, keep up the great works guys.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a sam adams utopia glass. Purchased at Wakefield Liquors in Wakefield, RI.

A- Pours a clear amber body with a 2 finger white head that reduces slowly to chunky foam. Leaves spotty lacing.

S- Lots of pine, resin and I definitely get the bourbon baarrel notes, including caramel, vanilla, and subtle whiskey. Smells pretty nice.

T- Tastes like a very malt-forward DIPA with pine, citrus, resin notes and finishes with both the vanilla/caramel notes of bourbon and a pretty astringent feeling from the hops. A little cloying.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Not the easiest drinker.

This beer would be a lot better without the overly bitter, astringent hops that dominate the bourbon character. I am cellaring one for at least a year to see if they tame.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle into a tulip , golden wheat field color to this beer , one finger head with spotty lacing

The smell on this one is a mixture of floral and citrus hops with the bourbon and oak coming in and taking over pretty quick

The feel of this beer is as expected , maybe a little over carbonated for my taste but not too bad

The taste is very nice , the hops kind of hit you forward then the bourbon kicks in with the oak in the background , very nice but the balance of this beer is kind of loopy

Over all a complex beer that is for sure different from anything I have had before , not really sure what to compare it too but I would buy it again , well trade for it again I guess.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes.

A- Clear as day pour into a goblet with a light amber hue. Foamy white head builds up to about a finger in height and retains decently. Spotty lacing.

S- A ton of vanilla feel from mellowed out Bourbon barrels. These barrels remind me of the ones used in 2011 Backwoods Bastard. Not a ton of actual whiskey feel but good oak. Nice citrus and tropical hops in the background.

T- The vanilla feel from the Bourbon is unreal and almost dessert like, very nice. I recognize these barrels from certain batches of other Founder's brews but they work quite nicely with this beer. IPA flavors build with time and a good citrus juice, pine and floral feel comes into play. Slight caramel backdrop.

MF- Creamy overall feel with a moderately thick body. Carbonation on the lower end but it works out fine here. Slight alcohol warming.

Really awesome barrel feel with big vanilla and smooth oak notes. IPA feel substantial enough to add complexity and give this one a unique feel.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle served in a snifter.

L - clear copper color with a white head that thinned to a ring.

S - the bourbon barrel is the first to hit with some faint citrus in the distance.

T - once again the bourbon barrel shows up first before citrus rind bitterness takes you to the drying finish.

F - medium bodied it's smooth and easy to drink.

O - very good all around.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is clear yellowish amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of tropical fruits are present in the nose - pineapple seems to stand out in particular.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and has lots of tropical fruit flavors along with a moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink considering its strength but is a pleasant one to sip due to its interesting tropical fruit flavors.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours lightly hazy honey colored with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some peach + apricot highlights, The beer has a finger tall dense foamy white head that slowly reduces to a medium sized patch of very thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of tropical fruit/pineapple/mango hops with lighter aromas of citrus/grapefruit hops, oak barrel, and just a touch of caramel malts.

T: Upfront there are light to moderate amounts of malts with just a touch of caramel sweetness. Moderate to strong flavors of tropical/pineapple/mango hops and citrus/grapefruit hops along with some moderate flavors of oak barrels, bourbon, and vanilla. Light amounts of lingering bitterness in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: I really like the combination of bourbon barrels and DIPA tropical hop flavors - a really nice complexity to the flavors and aromas. Very enjoyable and the alcohol is well hidden.

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Falling off the wagon with Doom is a delight. It spills out in a gorgeous honey coloured pour and has a decent dusty white head a pinky tall. The glass is laced with jagged remnants looking like snow covered mountain peaks.

The nose is full of bourbon immediately after the vessel is filled. The ale qualities bring up the rear where caramel notes, which seem to be the most abundant, are beautifully drizzled over the pine sap qualities of the hop additions.

The taste is wrapped in bourbon. Belches of bourbon heat and hoppy green ale are lovely. Caramel notes flourish within the swarming bouquet of sappy pine flavour. Describing this thing of beauty is quite difficult. This is one of the best things to come down the pipes around this reviewer's hideout in quite some time.

The mouthfeel has a syrupy thickness that carries the flavours well without becoming too heavy.

Overall, I am quite overjoyed with this one. I stopped at the right place at the right time and got a brew that has grabbed me by my neck and pulled me back to the ales I love. Another masterpiece from my favorite brewers on the planet. God, thanks for the luck I have. Thanks Top Shelf for letting me take this one home with me.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%

A - A hazy golden brew, with little to no head in my 5 oz glass.

S - A lot of bourbon and vanilla notes. Subdued grapefruit and mango from IPA.

T - Smooth bourbon flavor. Vanilla follows suit, and the mango and grapefruit flavor are underneath the barrel. The hoppy bitter bite is gone for sure, but the flavor remains. The oaky dryness rounds out the flavor.

M - Light to medium bodied brew,with low carbonation.

O - Interesting to try an IPA barrel aged. The barrel preserves the flavor, but the hop bite leaves. It worked much better than I thought. As with all Founders brews the alcohol is non detectable. Not their best barrel beer by any means but still great.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Pours a yellow color with some head. Blocked lacing. Really deceiving - external characteristics hide well the strength.

S: Bourbon present and tough to find much behind there.

T: Again bourbon presence from front to pack with a pinch of bitter and sweet in the middle (one of few indications this is an IPA).

M: Medium to heavy and not sessionable.

O: Really good.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark yellow, with a bit of fine lacing around the collar. Scents of vanilla, bourbon, citrus, and pine. Taste is quite similar, opens up with bourbon, vanilla, butterscotch, malt, and ends with a bit of citrus. Wow, what an interesting blend, and very well done too considered. Overall balanced, but, it is certainly a heavy beer, despite its appearance. Mouthfeel is thick, buttery, and with light carbonation. This is a fine brew, and an interesting one at that, recommended.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours cloudy light straw, with a creamy one finger head which disappears quickly. Little bit of lacing hanging around. 3.75

Aroma-strong bourbon profile, vanilla, oak and butterscotch. Some coconut in there too. Grapefruit is hiding behind the bourbon. Some tropical fruits, pineapple and mango. 4

Taste-vanilla and butterscotch right away come to the forefront. Most of the citrus gets overwhelmed by the barrel. It's slightly hoppy in the finish, but this one seems to be all about the barrel. As it warms the bitterness is starting to come thru at the finish. 4.25

Feel-medium bodied, alcohol is noticeable from the get go. Mouthfeel doesn't last is long as I would like. 3.75

Overall-I'm totally glad I tried this. It's a little weird, but the flavors compliment each other well. I wish the citrus was a little stronger but that's to be expected. The barrel seems to conquer all but the some flavorful stouts. Even then, the barrel seems to be the most upfront flavor. If they ever bottle this again or I see it on tap I will get it again and enjoy. 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (much appreciate the hook-up!). Bottle date apparently rubbed off but it aint all that old. Served in a Founders snifter.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a finger and a half near white head. The head neither lingers nor laces.

The bourbon is fainter on the nose than expected. I get a little more piney and citrus hops mixed with the oaky bourbon and sugary sweetness.

Tastes is very interesting. At first it hits the typical IPA notes of pine, oranges and wet grass but almost immediately the bourbon heat rushes in. Bourbon, orange peel, resinous pine, butterscotch, vanilla-tinged oak, wet grass, leather, cracker, pepper and a pretty heavy handed bite of booze. It goes back and forth between the IPA notes and the bourbon, with a slightly different blend each sip. It drinks a tad hot.

Mildly slick medium body with fairly soft carbonation. Lingering dry bitter bourbon hop finish.

I wasn't sure what to think about this counter untuitive blend at first but I grew to like it more as I drank it and got my mind wrapped around it. A unique experience but I couldn't see myself coming back to it much if it were available. It's just a little too hot (despite the fact that I have no issues with the likes of Mephistopheles or 120 Minute) and although the IPA and bourbon are tasty, it seemed a bit disjointed to me.

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%

Hazy orange color nice creamy white head. Poured this into my BHB tulip glass. Smell is sweet, toffee, orange, some bourbon not a lot of hops on the nose but that is too be expected given the barrel aging. Not overly boozy on the nose either. The taste is much like the smell low hops, little boozy but not bad... creamy mouthfeel, bourbon on the back of the tongue. Not really picking up and citrus notes. I like this goes down well. Kinda reminds me of backwoods bastard after it has been cellared. Really like this but at the price point don't know if I'd buy another.

2.62/5  rDev -35.8%

Bottle into a snifter. I'm inherently distrustful of infusing bourbon and wood into an IPA, even one as bold as Double Trouble. But if any brewer can do it gracefully, it's Founders.

A - Rich, hazy gold with a healthy foam head, about two fingers. Pours more like a Belgian Pale Ale than the Double Trouble base.

S - This is exciting. The toffee/smoke/caramel of the bourbon barrel stings the nose immediately, but the hop presence is not totally overpowered. The citric notes mix with the booze to create something like a peach cobbler nose. Really very well balanced.

T - Honestly, the balance of the bouquet is nowhere to be found in the taste. What you get is a massive bourbon character against a totally diminished Double IPA. It's sickly sweet and smokey, with the booziness smacking you squarely in the face.

M - Heavy, sticky, oily. Pleasant perhaps with a more robust brew, but in Doom its oppressive.

O - As I said, I'm distrustful - probably unfairly so - of any lighter ale getting aged against bourbon (though I loved the Jai Alai White Oak, where the wood complemented the hops perfectly). The smell of Doom promised this might be a genuinely well-balanced brew, but the taste was barely an improvement on swill like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Real disappointment.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

P: Pours a hazy pale straw color with a massive milky head. Intricate lacing accumulates along the edges.

S: Sugary pound cake, butterscotch bourbon aroma, subtle whiffs of garlic bread. Complex hop aroma thst is hard to identify the type due to the sweet bourbon.

T/M: Sweet butterscotch bourbon, saltine crackers, herbal tea, toasted toffee, hints of pine resin, spices and a floral bouquet. Bitterness really overtakes the sweetness in the finish and leaves with a waxy feeling of just eaten carrots. Bourbon really shines once warm. Medium body with a moderate effervescence that really creates a great atmosphere for the palate.

O: Hands down the best Founders offering I have had. Bourbon is strong but the hops still shine through at the end. Great dryness and balance between bitter and sweet. Great beer that should be sought out.

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 release, poured into an 8 oz tumbler. Review based on tastings in April and June.

When poured, it leaves wide bubbles that span the neck of the bottle. This happened when There's not much head, it's a bit syrupy and pours somewhat flat. There was an irridescence to some of the foam, rainbows like soap.

The smell is sweet vanilla bourbon and hop forward. Pineapple, citrus, bitter piney ganja, malt, warmth, alcohol. There is definitely some hop complexity that you gotta look for in between the whiskey bloom. At the back end I taste what reminds me of line dried laundry gone a tad sour, from a lighter Founders taproom pilsner that showcased a single strain.

Mouthfeel is great for this style. It's pretty flat, a bit viscous.

Overall, I look forward to another release of Doom. I love the hop selection they've used here, and the barrel aging adds a complementary element of flavor that other DIPAs lack.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lots of vanilla, oak, & sweet malt with this one. Let it warm up a bit, and you get the hop back that makes you set your world on fire. This beer is great. The sweet bourbon helps balance out the hops amazingly. Hops are barely noticeable cold but the sweet malt & bourbon flow through. Great beer overall!

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with one finger of persistent white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Concentrated pine foliage marries well with the overt presence of oak. Toasted coconut seems to simultaneously take the place of grain and honest bourbon qualities. Alcohol vapors add weight to the presence.

T: Begins off-dry, with bright fruit-affected pale malt and well-matched acidity. Vanilla is featured during the middle, alongside the complimentary toasted oak that is hard to miss with any of the senses. The finish is mildly bitter, definitely spirituous, and occasionally infused with some apricot fruit.

M: Medium viscosity, balanced and slightly resinous and syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Like almost all of Founders pale ales, this beer is very well in-tune with its malt bill--but that is not to say that it is malt focused. Doom is very much focused on its barrel qualities, presenting a pale (yet strong) alternative to the usual roasted or heavily crystal malt-centric beers that benefit from the spirit-and-oak treatment. Unlike some barrel-aged IPAs from other brewers, it is not in possession of clear hops-derived flavors impareted from the usually obligatory post-barrel dry-hopping. Nevertheless it does not suffer for the lack of hops aromatics, instead standing alone and dignified in the presence of more rarified company.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter on May 31, 2013.

A: Light amber with some excellent head retention. But honestly besides that, not a whole lot else to say. Rather average looking beer.

S: To me this has some remarkable similarities to a Barley wine, both in smell and taste. Typical Barley wine smells of burnt sugar, butterscotch, caramel, with some citric fruits thrown in there as well. Nothing real special going on with the smell, but it is still quite inviting.

T: Follows the nose, first taste is of burnt sugar and butterscotch. As it sits, flavors of citrus fruits and vanilla come out as well. The taste of vanilla is actually quite strong in fact, and goes along with the other flavors quite well. There is also a bit of spice and peat, which I am assuming comes from the fact that the beer has been aged in bourbon barrels. The malty backbone in this brew gives way to the taste of freshly baked bread. Flavor tones of copper also seem to come out, bringing to mind something more akin to an amber ale. This is a very complex beer. On the swallow, there is a definite presence of alcohol, but it is not biting by any means, in fact it complements everything else quite well. Very good tasting brew.

M: It's very creamy, and the carbonation is in perfect harmony with the beer, adding to the effect of the spicy undertones that come to the fore as the tasting session goes on. Very, very bitter on the back end. This beer is not kind and I would strongly advise against following it with a beer of less intensity. Seriously, you will not be able to taste anything for at least a few hours. That being said the taste is pleasant, leaving a bitter back bone that brings out the grapefruit as well as the other citric fruits present within the brew (i.e. oranges and something akin to lemon rind). A very satisfying mouthfeel.

Overall, this is a very good DIPA from Founder's and I would expect nothing less from them. However, it may not be quite up to the bar set by the other beers in the Founder's line. However, considering how incredible those beers tend to be, it is only a slight con. This is a very good DIPA, and if you are able to attain it, it is most definitely worth checking out for yourself. Seek it out and cheers my friends!

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is chill-hazed golden-honey in color with a 1-finger foamy white head that retains well. Leaves a good amount of lacing behind.

S: Interesting - citrusy hops and tropical fruity hops with vanilla and bourbon noted.

T: Follows the nose, pretty much. Big malt foundation of toffee and vanilla nougat is followed by bourbon, vanilla beans, some wood tannins and the hops, which, when you can find them hiding behind all that booze, seem to be of the tropical fruit variety. Heat from booze noted immediately, both on the palate and on the way down and into the belly. Booze is too much, to be honest, for this style. It detracts from the hops and makes this seem more like a boozy barleywine than a DIPA. As it warms, however, and your palate adjusts to the booze, more citrusy hop bitterness is detectable. It just takes awhile to get past all that booze.

M: Full bodied, somewhat slick in feel. Carbonation is fairly modest.

O: I don't love this one. It's OK; I just think the booziness overwhelms the characteristics that I like in a DIPA - i.e., the hoppiness. It's there, but you really have to focus to find it, since your palate is pretty much overwhelmed by the booze.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a tulip glass

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a solid white head that goes away rather quickly to a thin head.

Smell is citrusy with hints of the barrel aging oak and vanilla.

Taste is sweet, almost too sweet for a DIPA but finishes with a bit more complexity. Alcohol warmth quite present on the finish.

A very unique twist on a DIPA but not something I would tend to go to at this price point. Would prefer a Burton Baton.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

I have had Doom twice at this point. Having been underwhelmed the first time, I decided to wait until my second experience to write the review.

Doom was poured into a snifter with an appearance that was rich in copper color. It produced a slight white head, though it showed little retention. The aroma was boozy with slight hints of the mustiness of hops. The aroma was fairly average for a barrel aged beer. My initial impression on the taste was how boozy the beer tasted. At the front, I received a shot of bitter alcohol almost like getting a mouth full of rubbing alcohol. But then the burn starts to mellow, allowing the detection of vanilla and hints of citrus and coconut. So once you get past the burn, it is a little like a dreamsicle. In the aftertaste, one gets the alcohol more than the citrus. The thick mouthfeel of an imperial IPA is present, but it only helps the burn to stay.

Other have harped on the Backstage Pass beers in the past and I defended them. I did not even mind FMB. This one I could do without.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cracked for Memorial Day bottle share

A - Orange pour with a frothy white foam head that created a pettern of lacing on the glass. Cloudy look and some visible carbonation is noted.

S - Has very little citrus notes. the barrel aging mellowed the hop profile to a more earthy smell. There are clear notes of wood pulp in the scent, and as it warmed there was a pronounced smell of bourbon.

T - This has a very unique level of mild bitterness to compliment the warming burn in the finish. Really tastes like a dry whiskey cocktail. A buddy who is a whiskey & bourbon drinker found it sublime. The oaken flavor from the aging reserves this well, and mutes the sharp bitterness that would otherwise come from this beer.

M - More of a sipper than I expected, this is a beer to be savored slowly and in my opinion with out food. It is smooth but the complexity does belie a heavy feel.

O - Was heppy to try this and I think I'm just a fan of most of these Founders Backstage Series offerings. I recall this is BBA Double Trouble and if that is true this is very different from that base beer. A true treat for those who enjoy the bourbon notes from aging.

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful slightly hazy golden orange with a huge soapy sticky bright white head. All IPA from here. Great nose of fruity and earthy bourbon and barrel. Sweet, sticky hops. Obviously a bit of booze. I had Southern Tiers oak aged double IPA before this and it was just as good. The barrel shows itself a bit more in this beer. This isn't a new style but it might be riding the trend and I'm cool with that because its delicious. All the good flavors of bourbon and barrel with the character of a double IPA. Don't see why this beer isn't getting more love. Can be a tad cloying and sensory overload at times but a great one time treat. Well done.

Founders Doom from Founders Brewing Company