Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Bottled 05/15/12.

A: Pours a bright red with a 1 finger pinkish white head. Fairly opaque but you can still see some carbonation. Head stick around for a while, leaves a hint of lacing.

S: First I get some over-ripened sweet fruits, obviously cherry, but also apple, peach and plum. An earthy aroma as well possibly from the yeast.

T: First taste is slightly sour as my taste buds adjust, cherry is what comes through the most. After my mouth adjusts you can see this certainly has beer like qualities. A nice change from other fruit dominated ales.

M: Medium to full bodied with lower than expected carbonation. A little sticky but overall easy drinking.

Overall good for the summer but not something I would want to drink all day. Even Founders struggles with this difficult style.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Glows an orange-tilting red color, bubbles working themselves up through the liquid extremely slowly. This head isn't huge or anything, but it's pink, if a washed-out looking pink. A pretty, delicate looking beer.

Very little aroma detected, just an extremely faint hint of cherries. Not gonna score it low because there's nothing off or offensive here, it's just hardly there.

Flavor is a really big blast of sour cherries up front, and there's a sweet grainy sort of essence here that for some silly reason reminds me of the subtle flavor of graham crackers or those artificial-colored cream wafers. The sweetness doesn't last too long, while the sourness turns into a tart ghost of flavor in the finish. And, as with many fruit beers of this type, I find that the back of the sip and finish brings on a plastic-y sort of vibe.

Smooth in the mouth, with some tingly bubbles giving it shape, although maybe just a little less aggressive carbonation would be better. For all the tartness, Cerise only puckers the mouth up very mildly, but it's there.

This is a full-flavored fruit beer that I found easy to enjoy; nothing to sneeze at just because it's a "fruit beer." Wouldn't be a daily pick for me, but this is probably better than most in its category because, you know, Founders rules.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. I'm always excited to see new offerings from Founder's so I've been looking forward to trying this one.

A- Founder's Cerise has an interesting look to it. Pours a clear light red/pink with a large fluffy pinkish white head.
S- Lots of cherries.
T- Sweet, tart cherries. Subtle light malty background.
M- Crisp.
D- I'm not quite sure what to do with a beer like this. It's a little bit too sweet to be sessionable, and it's not exactly refreshing but seems like it would be good on a hot day potentially. Probably some interesting food pairings could be thought up.

my bottom line: It's like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, but good. A 4-pack my girlfriend and I can agree on.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

You know, I couldn't help but wonder when I saw this brew. Cherry brews have never - and I mean that - agreed with me. When I got a free one on draft, though, I couldn't turn it down. Cerise ahoy!

The color is astonishing pretty, for starters. A clear amber shining in the glass, though there's a pretty thin at the top of the glass that makes look a bit flat. Smell of cherries is absolutely maxed out. I can smell it from a mile away. A nice strain of sweetness lies underneath, but unless I'm really pushing to get to it, I'm just going to have to settle with a cherry-pie esque brew without much else going on.

Taste isn't too much either, but there's a kicker for me: it tastes like real cherries. Not cough syrup, but cherries. A nice medium body with a smooth character makes it all the easier to take in. Clean finish doesn't linger on the tongue, but rather stops as soon as its down the throat. Easy drinking for its style, and given the flavor, I must say that I'm fully satisfied by it. Cherries, cherries... heck, this is the epitome of a fruit beer.

Overall/notes - Certainly one of the best fruit beers I've had, though my experience is limited. While this wouldn't go on my list of favorite brews in general, it would provide a nice alternative when I'm in the mood for something different. I can only imagine what eating a cherry pie with this would be like... probably would cause some sort of overload.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company