Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CeriseFounders Cerise

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Reviews: 604 | Hads: 1,492
1.49/5  rDev -59%

My wife bought this for me because she said the bottle was pretty. Poured into a chalice and she loved the color. It is quite different.

The smell seemed sour to me and less fruity than it looked. I was not expecting good things from the smell.

I am a big Founders fan as most of you are but this was awful. It tasted like the juice from a jar of marachino cherries that had gone bad. I am so glad my wife only bought me one. It was disgusting and horrible. Would have been a drain pour but it was a $3.00 bottle and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

This was so flat that I could detect no mouthfeel at all. Water has more.

Drinkability is only for the brave. If you can finish one you need a medal pinned on your chest.

Buy anything else from Founders but stay far away from this one. I say this as one of the great lovers of Ephemere and other fruit/vegetable beers. This is not a beer, it is a poison...

1.61/5  rDev -55.6%

Bottle to pint glass. Bottled on 5/19/10, reviewed on 7/10/10.

A: One and a half foamy fingers accumulates on a vigorous pour. Cumulus cloud white in color. Diminishes quickly but the film is long lasting and so is the collar. The body is vibrantly clear, light orange with a hint of crimson red. Pretty. Spare splatters of would-be lacing try to stick but can't. Small, dark particles have settled at the bottom of the glass.

S: Toasted malts of indistinguishable variety with a light grassy hop contribution. The nose is dominated by sour cherries. Fermented fruit funkiness as well.

T: Fresh Michigan tart cherries were added at 5 different stages throughout the brewing process, which was about 4 stages too many. The flavor is overwhelmingly cherry dominant. I expected more subtlety from Founders. Barely recognizable flavors of grenadine, strawberry, pomegranate, cranberry and cinnamon flavored candy come in to play.

M: Medium-light body with a thin, slick, syruppy, cloying texture. Not good. At all. Fine fizzy carbonation is of average intensity. Heavy sweetness is only withstandable because the tartness begins to cut through it.

D: My first drainpour. I'll put a bucket next to my bed tonight. Just in case.

1.99/5  rDev -45.2%

Free bottle from work, bottled 4/23/10 haha! Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Hazy orange amber with a pink hue. Minimal white head with lots of sticky lacing.

S: Musty malt aroma, some candy sweetness, and just old skunky aroma. Smells like fruity dust.

T: Super sweet and mildly tart cherry flavor mixing with funky skunky malt flavor.

M: Light bodied yet syrupy, with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: I had to pour this out. It was just horribly unenjoyable. Then again this bottle has been light-struck on a sales floor for 1.5 years. I would love to try a fresh example of this beer because I do thoroughly enjoy fruit beers, lambics, and sours.

2.21/5  rDev -39.1%

A- Pours a red color with a pinkish colored head. Right then I knew I was in trouble.

S- A touch of malts and quite a bit of tart cherries.

T- Wow this is a beer. My first thought is that this is some sort of wine cooler. Taste like it smells tart cherries dominant.

M- Light to medium in body and ok carbonation.

D- No thanks I'll pass only the second Founders I didn't like and yes, they were both fruit beers.

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

Poured into a tumbler.

Pours a clear golden with very little indication this is a cherry beer. Smell on the other hand is nothing but sweet cherries. Cherry pie filling would be the overwhelming aroma. No tartness to be found.

Taste is very much what I expected from the smell, except more grenadine like instead of cherry pie filling. Extremely cloying and difficult to hold in my mouth for very long. Not particularly enjoyable. I have a very difficult time drinking one in a sitting.

Not sure what Founders was going for here. Shirley Temple flavored beer? The only conclusion I am able to.come up with is that this is an intended mixer to go with other beers. Will mix some with an RIS to see if I can enjoy it that way.

4 pack will last me at least a year.

2.31/5  rDev -36.4%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Should be fresh; Founders just arrived in CT.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch fizzy pink head that dissipates quickly. Pours a hazy pink. No lacing.

Smell: Faint cherry (indistinct variety). Malt underneath. Best I can say is there's no foul odors.

Taste: Very sweet. Slightest suggestion of sour cherry among the sugar. Decent malt backbone comes out as the beer dries way the hell out.

There's sort of a medicinal flavor up front, along with some coffee (???). Cherry and strawberry donut aftertaste. Weird. Sour cherry again comes out in the finish, sharing the same long-aftertaste flavor as dried tart cherries... it's as if my mouth ate some delicious sour cherries, but didn't tell me about it (in fact, it gave me this story about going to Dunkin Donuts instead).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Almost no bitterness. Sugary up front, really dry at the end. Low side of moderate carbonation.

Overall: Michigan tart cherries are some of the most delicious things to eat in the world. As a celebration of that ingredient, this beer is a travesty. The people at Founders really ought to have eaten the cherries and used the fermenters for their good beers.

That said, the ridiculous strawberry donut flavor isn't *that* bad. Maybe I'm slightly more forgiving since I can still remember the similar (but several orders of magnitude worse) Ommegang Aphrodite. This beer is cloying and, to get right down to it, bad, but I can probably finish the glass. I like donuts every so often I guess.

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured a reddish amber and you could smell the strong cherry-ness easily. It had a decent-bodied mouthfeel but at the end of the day, the cherry flavor was just too much. It tasted as if it was half grenadine and was just entirely too sweet for me. As for the poster than referred to it as a "chick drink", my girlfriend said it was way too sweet for her too. I supposed it would be an interesting one to try a shot-sized sample of during a fruity beer tasting festival or something of the like, but the entire bottle was just too much for me. Possibly the first founders I didn't love. I guess it was bound to happen sometime!

2.37/5  rDev -34.7%

A: Cloudy reddish brown, with a slight pink tinge. Not much head or lacing, but a lot of carbonation.

S: Cherries, of course, very tart, and not much else, with just a little malt underneath.

T/M: A mix of sweet and tart cherry flavors dominate, naturally. Not much else going on here, so after a few sips it becomes way too sickly sweet and one-dimensional. Prickly carbonated mouthfeel. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

O: For what it is, this is about as good as expected, but it's just not my thing. The cherries dominate, as of course they should in a cherry beer, but there's not much else to this beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Looks very cool, pink with light pink/white head. Not a typical color for a beer, which is very unique.

S - Light smell of cherries, but sweet cherries, not tart like I was hoping. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to the smell of this beer.

T - Sickly sweet with no tartness to balance this out. If this had the nice tartness of a typical cherry, I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed. I don't like the taste of this.

M - The mouthfeel might be the one redeeming quality of this beer, it finishes clean and crisp.

Overall, this beer is a disappointment. I can confidently say that this is the first time I've ever been disappointed by a Founders beer. Unfortunately, this is a drain pour, which is a first for Founders.

2.49/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottled 13 May 2011.

Pours clear, a slightly reddish deep amber color. Is the red just my imagination, or is it actually there. I still can't tell. Fluffy off-white head with a pinkish hue. Good retention and lacing.

Smells of sweet malts and tart cherries, with some kind of weirdness lurking in the background. That weirdness has a chemical feel to it, though I can't identify it, and really doesn't make me excited about drinking it.

Tastes starts out tangy and fruity, a bit like a powdered drink mix. Then tart cherries come through, but are quickly displaced by an odd bitterness that doesn't fit well in the beer and really puts me off. It's got that same chemical air to it that I picked up in the smell, and it sticks to the back corners of my tongue. Finish is dry but persistent, and dominated by that chemical bitterness, which lasts for way longer than I want it to. Feel like I need a glass of water, or a better beer, to rinse it out.

Mouthfeel is fairly light but syrupy, a little sticky. Medium carbonation, could probably use some more. Finish is an odd combination of drying and sticky - I'm almost convinced it's going away, but then it grabs on tight and stays there, just barely detectable.

A bitter fruit beer? Yuck. Not sure if that's what they intended, but I am most definitely not a fan of this. It has an odd combination of flavors that just don't work well together at all. By far the worst beer I've had from Founders. Compared to my standard for cherry beers (NG Wisconsin Belgian Red), this isn't on the same planet.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Got a pack of this because I saw it on the shelves at Wegman's and was something new. I was more than disappointed by Rubeaus and was hoping this would make up for it. Wrong.

12oz bottle poured into Delirium Tremens bubble glass last night.
Bottle Graphics: 2/10.

A: Pinkish light red color with a thin head that lasted pretty long. Carbonation was distant.

S: The smell was not horrible, slightly tart but something unique. The good ended here though. It smelled of true fruit but that did not carry over in the taste. While not a fan of fruit beers, I would rate it high if it was a good version but didn't get it.

T: I just found no real pleasure in the taste of this. It was borderline hard to drink and is up there on the list with Bells Cherry stout. Got some more to share with somebody, I'm positive someone will like this. Being generous, it has a cherry maraschino syrup flavor that is not like real fruit though in any way.

M: I would've expected this to be a bubbly mess but was the opposite, a milky flat mess.

D: Founders is a great brewery, this is not a great beer. This is not a good beer, this was flat out hard to drink.

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the brewery on 7/9.

A: Light pink color. A small fizzy head appeared and quickly faded to nothing. No lace.

A: not much going on here, some cherry aroma and that's about it. Not really impressed at all

T: tart cherry and some sweet malt. Not much hop presence. Really reminds me of a not so flavorful Chablis or something.

M: light, again not much to it.

O: Really let down by this. Was hoping to get something along the lines of Belgian red, and got something that fell way short of that. Would not have again. Skal.

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Sampled on tap at the Founders taphouse.

Light strawberry-looking thing. Smells sweet enough to make my nose hair pucker up.

Yup. Too sweet to drink more than a swallow or two. Cherry, with cheery overtones, backed by some cherry with cherry highlights. My wife asked if this was Founder's "chick drink" & the bartender agreed.

I'm sure this isn't a bad beer, just not my thing. I'd stick to Mike's Hard if I wanted something this sweet & summery.

2.61/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- translucent ruby red color, no head to speak of

S- faint fruity/ peach/pear scents, not as strong as I expected

T- faint hints of sour cherries, also some peachiness that comes through at the end.

M- nondescript mouthfeel, pretty smooth but nothing that strikes me as worthy of noting.

D- this beers drinkable, but it hasn't given me an excuse to want more of it. It's not offensive by any means, but there's just not a whole lot calling me back to this brew.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a wine taster. There is a nice ruby color. There is a small off-white head.

The aroma has a little bit of cherry, with a good dose of typical malt and yeast sprinkled in. The aroma isn't super strong, but well balanced.

The taste is mostly sweet medicinal flavor. There is a sweet aftertaste. This isn't super sweet, but there isn't anything to balance out the sweetness. I thought the look was good and the nose didn't turn me off. But I won't finish drinking this.

I'll pass, but for those who like sweeter fruit beers, I could see the appeal for this one.

2.64/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a clear vibrant red with a cap of light pink head.

The aroma is full of sweet cherry aromas. A bit to sweet though, almost makes it seem artificial. The pallet gives off the super sweet cherry flavors. Again, it's just a bit too sweet.

The body is full and sticky with soft carbonation. It really coats the pallet for sure. Overall this one isn't very good. I think it's just too sweet. I was hoping for something lighter and more refreshing. This seems to be more of a dessert.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer is best served over vanilla or peach ice cream. As a component in a beer float, it can be tasty. It can also work when mixed with juice. (I liked it when mixed with an orange juice/carrot juice combo.) Unfortunately, it's more difficult to drink straight. Although I enjoy fruity beer such as lambics, I was not overly impressed with Founders Cerise when drunk as-is. The beer's flavor has the cherry taste and not much else, more like a juice-flavored kid's drink than a fruit beer. I would have appreciated more nuance of flavor.

2.71/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Pours a deep cranberry red with a small white-pink head.

S - A very light aroma of sweet, tart cherry.

T - Taste follows the nose, with a very sweet cherry flavor throughout. Slightly tart. Reminds me of a dollar store cherry soda. There is a slight medicinal quality to the finish. Not undrinkable, but very disappointing.

M - Light body, prickly carbonation, watery. Slightly astringent.

O - I tend to enjoy fruit beers but this one really missed the mark for me. The flavor is weak and very one dimensional. It was hard to finish the bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass produces a dark reddish brown and cloudy liquid with a well sustained, faintly pink, creamy looking head that subsides very slowly while leaving some very nice lacing.
Smell is faint with notes of malt, cherry cough syrup and floral, maybe gardenia.
Taste is a weird mix of the floral and cherry syrup with the malt very faint, not a main participant.
Medium bodied at best with a tingly effervescence, much like a lambic which is my best guess as to what they were aiming for. I like lambics, but I'm glad I only have two of these to drink. The overly artificial flavor/nose is depressing. Being from Michigan myself and aware of the heritage of cherry growing in the state, I really wanted to like this a lot but I can't honestly say I do. Finally a Founders beer I don't want more of.

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled 05/24/2012.

Into a pint glass (also a snifter, nothing changed):

A: hazy strawberry red body that is too cloudy to see any carbonation. A small white head mushroom capped and turned into the body within ten seconds.

S: cherry and alcohol up front with some grains and malts very lightly in the background.

T: tart and sweet through the cherry combining with the malts, reminds me a bit of cherry pie once I noticed how the malts combined

M: light to medium with slight carbonation felt on the tongue.

O: well, I never had a cherry pie for a beer, but with the alcohol smell I can tell its a beer. Two more, I probably will be able to finish, but will probably not buy this again.

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.

The beer pours a clear bright pink with little head and lacing.

The aroma is light very sweet, a little bit of cherry, but I wish it was more balaned and provided a little tartness.

The taste is like the aroma, very sweet, cherry flavored, but its somehow just plain and boring. No complexity here at all.

The feel is very bad, worse than water if that's possible.

Drinkability is low.

Overall, this is a horrible fruit beer. It should not be consumed.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Pours a hazy dark pink color, with virtually no head. No lacing, minimal foam cap.

S- Little to speak of... a hint of sour cherry, and wisps of dry malt husk. A little bit of christmas spices work their way in the back as well, but only just barely.

F- I will say without a doubt, that this improves as it warms. Sour cherry is the dominant flavor, but doesn't quite taste natural. Cherry flavor is very generic, sourness feels fake... acidulated malt or citric acid perhaps? There is still that ethereal sense of christmas spice that may or may not be there. Medicinal finish.

M- Thin, heavily carbonated, yet smooth.

D- decent at best...

Overall, a huge disappointment from Founders. They are MUCH better than this. Granted, fruit beers are very difficult to do well, especially cherry, but this just doesn't make the mark. I wouldn't buy it again....

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%

A- Pours an off-white head with a small pink hue. Head stays for a while. The beer itself is a well carbonated pink and reddish brew. Looks similar to a cherry 7-up. Laced up glass.

S- A decent amount of cherry presence. A bit of cherry juice. I don't know if it is but I detect a yeast that smells like lager. Fairly bland though as far as aroma.

T- Cherry beer. Oh a flavor description? It is that. Sweet cherries that feel natural, I expected a nasty medicinal flavor but it's not there. Thankfully there's enough malts to give it the beer flavor on the backend. Not overly sweet, but wouldn't want more than one.

M- Easy drinking and smooth. Light to medium bodied, a bit of carbonation felt.

O- If you love cherries this would be your beer. A bit one dimensional but I wouldn't expect more from these beers. Probably on the bottom end of what Founders makes. Even so, being made by founders makes it not a horrible brew.

2.83/5  rDev -22%

A: Pours a copper color with a finger of prickly white head. Minimal lacing.

S: I get plenty of plain sugar sweetness, and definite cherries.

T: Sweet cherries, followed by a pleasant tartness. The sweetness continues, and becomes a bit much as I continued working on the bottl.

M: Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation.

O: I liked the tartness to finish the beer, but the overall heavy sweetness was too much for me.

2.83/5  rDev -22%

Completely forgettable fruit ale, while not awful this is nowhere near the reputation typically attributed to Founders.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. Label with Founders branding surrounding a curvilinear font with the name of the brew, light pink background with cherries presiding it. Short description as " Cherry Fermented Ale". Shows date of bottling (06/02/10), IBUs (15), and Alc. (6.5%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pink/medium amber pour, short head with moderate to low retention, and little but fair lacing.

S - Lightly fruity nose, cherry, sweet with a faint malty sense, a bit medicinal.

T - Cherry character over a medium malt backbone, medicinal syrup touch.

M - Medium-light body with medium carbonation. A bit hefty in the Alc. by Vol. for what it is without much of a sense of balance.

D - While drinkable, it's lack of remarkable qualities makes it quite boring before one hits half a serving, and it made me wonder what to do with the rest of the four pack...

Notes: Probably the least remarkable brew I've tried so far from Founders. It feels one dimensional without much of an incentive going in any direction to make it worthy, not a refreshing side, or a funky touch, or a rich cherry profile... Boredom on a bottle.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company