Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ccozzi

05-29-2012 23:12:18 | More by ccozzi
seanchai

07-11-2014 23:01:23 | More by seanchai
NODAK

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Smell is pretty straightforward....seems to be some wheat in there along with a pretty obvious, mostly tart, cherry smell.

The taste is definitely an interesting one, but I will definitely say it's quite tasty. It's beers like this one that show the versatility of beer. Not surprisingly, the predominant taste is cherries, however it's the great balance between sweet and tart that make this a very tasty beer. Too sweet and it'd be cloying...too tart and it'd be another style and likely give me heartburn. The way this beer goes down, it starts off fairly sweet and then ends up fading into a more tart closing...but again, not too tart at all. Enough to wrap the beer up nicely. There's also a wheat taste I get on the backend, and I'm not sure if this beer is a wheat beer (I looked it up and couldn't find it)...but I get that taste here in a small way.

Some may look at this as a really weak link for Founders, but I feel that may be because of style bias because this really is a solid entry for a fruit beer.

08-21-2010 01:53:13 | More by NODAK

Wisconsin

04-04-2013 06:08:03 | More by BrownAleMale
becktone

From notes 4-9-09

Eye: This one pours a clear light red in color with hues of orange and yellow in there as well. This one is clear enough to make out the inscription and logo on this Ommegang glass. Looks quite nice in the glass, almost like an amber or red ale. I think if you saw this at a bar you might not be able to tell that its a fruit beer. Head is poor, just a sickly looking algae-like film that covers the top of the beer becoming thicker as it nears the sides of the glass. Color and clarity are great, but the head needs some work.

Edit: Its kinda funny, I've got my hand about an inch behind the glass where ambient light is passing through it....it creates a red circle on my hand...like the head piece to the staff of Ra in Raiders of the Lost Ark...Hahah, as soon as I saw that I instantly though of Raiders. End tangent.

Nose: Sweet cherry aroma is evident, like maraschino cherries, or like the sweet ones you find atop your icecream (not sure if those are marischino or not). Its weird, I've had this beer before, but never detected the following aroma. I'm getting a strong sweet malt aroma, it smells like the mash, very sweet and caramel like...this is, however, in the background. It doesn't smell bready or grainy like the mash just that sweetness, and it melds nicely with the cherry. Also a nice pie crust-like aroma...reminds me of the crust of a strawberry dessert my mom used to make, pretzels and butter cooked and allowed to settle to form the crust. You could just call it diacetyl but with the cherries here it turns it into something quite different, something that fits and helps the beer out. Its not right out front but its there. Its taken me about six of these (not all at onc sitting, or even this sitting) to be able to get all this, I knew that there was more to this beer than what I perceived when I first tasted it. This is quite different from other cherried beers, most others use sour cherries, this one is quite the opposite though and that makes it unique. I'd say they got just what they were going for.

Tongue: Sweet cherry right up front, tastes like you've just eaten that cherry from the top of the banana split. Finish is dry and fairly weak, it leaves me wanting. There may even be some slight metallic tang that comes out in tin the finish. It doesn't really hurt it but it definitely doesn't help it. The diacetyl and sweet maltiness are in here, but they are far behind the cherry character and are hard to divine, very very subtle. They come out briefly in the finish and are then usurped by cherry. Diacetyl character in this beer is actually very nice, in my opinion I think that it adds to it, I won't say helps it, but it gives it depth and a pleasing character that wouldn't be there were it absent. Without it this beer wouldn't be as subtle and complex as it is and would be much less interesting. The more I drink of it the less I get of the aforementioned metallic tang and the stronger the finish becomes, still dry but cherry character lingers. I think what I was perceiving as metallic is actually tannin from the cherry skin.

Feel and Drinkability: Feel is light and finish is dry. Carbonation is actually pretty light, you'd think that for something like this it would be spritzy, yet it is not. Its just right, not spritzy and not so low as to give this one a thick and medicinal cough syrup quality. This one is easy to drink and is quite quaffable, though if quaffed it becomes less interesting and its much more difficult if not impossible to pick up the diacetyl in here that really adds to the beer. This is one that I'd buy again. Not a bad deal at $9.99 a four-pack, hey the abv is 6.5% and its an easy drinker. Great for the summer and spring, fall and winter....no. Not going to lie, this is one of the better fruit beers out there, sure its no Kasteel Rouge and it doesn't stand up to Founders Rubaes, but its still one of the best out there.

05-17-2009 18:37:03 | More by becktone
bnes09

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bright strawberry red color. Descent, sudsy head with poor retention and no lacing. Typical for the style.

Sweet and tart aroma, lots of cherries. Mild floral spice for the hops.

Smooth and sweet flavor of cherries, no surprise here. Shortbread malt character blends well with the fruit. Hops are very light with leafy notes. Finish is mildly tart with lingering sweetness.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Smooth and slick feel without a syrupy texture.

As far as fruity beers go, this is one of the best. Sweetness is satisfying but not overdone. Just the right amount of tart character. Great balance as well. Not a style I will usually drink but exceptional for what it is.

06-03-2012 14:53:42 | More by bnes09
jk3

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

06-18-2012 14:06:06 | More by jk3
ToasterChef

Maine

4.23/5  rDev +16.5%

The beer is translucent and ruby colored. A thn head of pink foam rests on top.

Black cherry aroma with some musty yeast.

The beer has a very nice fruit flavor. Cherries are a bunny and provide a robust sweetness that canned cherry pie filling wishes it had. I detect no sourness, so Kirk fans be warned. A subtle black cherry flavor lingers after I swallow.

The beer has plenty of carbonation. The tiny bubbles play on my tongue. A coat is left behind, but it isn't a very sticky beer.

I like this one a lot. It is a well made fruit beer that doesn't feel gimmicky or overly sweet. I'll definitely have this one again.

07-08-2012 02:26:42 | More by ToasterChef
HopDerek

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

On-tap at The Drafting Room Exton.

Poured a clear ruby red with 1 finger of white head with some pinkish edges into a goblet. Good retention and some spotty lacing. Smells of sweet cherry syrup like in a pie, along with some brown sugar and grain. Tastes of tart cherries and cherry syrup followed by some honey, brown sugar, and doughy bread notes. A slight earthy hop finish as well. Medium in body with some prickly carbonation. Sweet with a touch of tartness, like a liquid cherry pie. Very easy to drink, definitely could see myself enjoying many of these while lounging by the poolside in the summer.

05-05-2009 23:20:19 | More by HopDerek
PatrickJR

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Very interesting looking stuff here! Rose-colored with quite a bit of haze, with a finger of pink head. Retention is fairly short but surprisingly some lacing is left behind.

S - I'm not sure if there's actual cinnamon in Cerise, but cinnamon is the first aroma to hit and very distinct. Underneath is a simple cherry tartness with trace of candylike or artificial notes. Nothing "beer-y" that I can find, just simple, clean, and upfront fruit.

T - For something called a "beer" this tastes very little of any sort of grain, and I can't find a trace of hops. That being said, it still tastes great. Moderately sweet cherry comes in immediately bringing with it a pleasant tartness that grows throughout the sip. Late palate with the sweetness at it's lowest and the tartness at its peak, vague notions of grain bounce around, but it's not a flavor I can pinpoint in every sip. The finish and aftertaste yeild more of the cinnamon from the nose.

M - Light to medium bodied with a soft carbonation. Curiously, other reviewers have described this brew as "spritzy;" I don't know if my bottle is off or what but the low carbonation suits it well, maintaining the sweet/sour balance.

D - As has been the case during this review, it's really hard to think of Cerise as a beer. The whole time I've been thinking of a sort of sparkling wine with some obviously lowered ABV. At any rate this stuff tastes great which is almost unheard of when brewers start throwing fruit in their beer. Although you won't find the seamlessness or pure synergy of fruit and beer as in the case of Bell's Cherry Stout, you will get a very clean beverage showcasing natural tasting fruit rather than a sort of fruit "esscence" superimposed on a weak, off-tasting American wheat. Cerise wouldn't be a bad choice to have a couple of, it certainly goes down without a fight. I can also pleasurably imagine finishing off a night with this brew.

06-23-2009 05:41:11 | More by PatrickJR
Hophead717

07-29-2012 04:40:04 | More by Hophead717
Patrick999

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Lookswise, a bit of a letdown. I guess I was expecting some intense lambic-like red, so I poured it into a goblet. It looks like...generic beer. Maybe a tinge of orange-red.

Aroma is of sour mash and cherry.

Hmm....now on the palate this strikes me as a pretty good straightforward refreshing fruit beer. It's pretty one-dimensional, with a generic "beer" underpinning, but at least there's strong real cherry, unlike something like SA Cherry Wheat. In the oft-maligned canon of non-lambic "fruit beer," this stands out as one of the better efforts.

Soft, pleasing carbonation.

Easy to drink, but doesn't necessarily quench as much as you'd think, as this brings the sweet cherry juice pretty hard. I like it, I just don't think I'd crave it.

08-07-2010 21:26:56 | More by Patrick999
JDizzle

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Got this from Founders Tap Room. The bottle date is blurred?! Can't be to stale though.

Pours really pink/red and looks beautiful with a nice white head. Really bubbly.

The smell is of cherries, but does not blast out of the gat by any means. A let down.

Cherries are up front on the taste with a sour following. It's pretty refreshing I must admit. It had such a good cherry flavor(not fake-REAL, it's hard to not like. I have had the bourbon barrel version of this and it's much better. This is one dimensional, but Nywego is better.

Carbs are high and mouthfeel is thin.

Refreshing fo sho, but not the beer I'm wanting to settle down with.

07-13-2012 01:25:07 | More by JDizzle
BigMike

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Bottled on 5-19-10

Pours slightly orange with a pink tint and some hazyness. About 1/2 finger of thin white head.
I definitely get the cherries on the nose. Also some cinnamon pie crust.
Sweet and tart cherry and some bready pie crust. Not much else going on.
Pretty light bodied but refreshing and smooth with a good amount of carbonation.
Not bad for a fruit beer which is one of my least liked styles of beer. It's a little sweet to drink more then one of.

*From notes taken on 6-25-10

08-18-2010 00:25:55 | More by BigMike
JizackFH

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

A - This beer pours a hazy copper color, and also has a hint of red to it. It has a small white head, that left decent lacing on the glass.

S - It smells of sour cherries and sweet malt. There is no hop presence to be found here.

T - I can taste the sour cherries immediately, then some malt and spices come in. The finish is of sour cherry tartness. There is also just a touch of alcohol present.

M - This has a medium body and medium carbonation. There is a bit of a puckering cherry sourness to it.

D - The drinkability is pretty good. I think this is a pretty good beer for the style, but its really just not my thing. I would drink it again, but only once in a while and I could only handle 1 per sitting.

01-24-2011 07:20:29 | More by JizackFH

06-13-2013 13:51:18 | More by JMS1512
scottwurst

10-08-2013 22:14:34 | More by scottwurst
jamie2dope

Founders Cerise pours a pink color, with a bit of pink heading that doesn't hang around too long. It sort of looks like cherry flavored ginger ale. Smell is of very sweet cherries, although there is some hint of sourness at the end. A slight medicinal quality also comes through. Taste is of cherries, cream, pie crust, more medicine. A light bodied beer, drinkability loses a few points for the sometimes overbearing sweetness. Not a bad effort from Founders. I like the Rubaeus a little bit more, although they are two totally different beers. Grab a single and pair this with dessert.

04-19-2009 21:33:49 | More by jamie2dope
THEOPTIMATOR88

12-02-2011 05:20:27 | More by THEOPTIMATOR88
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

appearance: a hazy pinkish, reddish with a decent pinkish head.
smell: tart, sweet, fruity...yep, there's the cherries.
taste: Wow, I didn't think I was going to like this so much. Tart, and sweet but not too much of either. Balanced with an unexpected malt heft.
mouthfeel: Nice and full.
drinkability: Great. I thought this would be a one and done experience, but I'm ready for another and I don't even like cherries.

05-31-2010 21:10:39 | More by cindyjeffsmith
davey101

Connecticut

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Date is smudged, but appears to be 05/10/2012. 12 oz bottle into a Founders 15th anny glass.

A - Pours a hazy dark red body that almost borders on purple. Looks like a fruit soda. A small messy cap of light tan foam dissipated quickly. Thin lacing with moderate lacing and retention.

S - Strong cherries. Yaaaa...I don't know. That is it really. Its tart and smells natural, but that is all there is to the aroma.

T - Tart cherries with a sweet and syrupy finish. Again, very natural tasting. It does capture some of that spiciness that a real cherry has, almost cinnamon like but very subtle.

M - Medium bodied, almost syrup like but a moderate level of carbonation cuts through.

O - I won't miss this beer. Its a step up over the faux-fruit lambics, but at the end of the day its just a solid cherry ladened beverage. Bring on the Rubaeus!

01-20-2013 04:50:42 | More by davey101