Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
4.2/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a tangerine color, hazy, with a short white head. Decent retention and bit of decorative lace down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Tart cherries. Wow, the smell is just dead on. White grapes and green apple skin add more to the tart aroma.

Taste: Barely any malt here, just tart fruits. Cherries, white grapes, green apples, in that order. With only 15 IBU's, I wouldn't expect much hops, but I would guess there are some light floral notes here, even though they get washed out by the stronger flavors. Finishes tart, with a bit of a kick.

Mouthfeel: It feels like champagne - dry, crisp, and fully carbonated, with a surprisingly light feeling body.

Drinkability: I just had a reviewable sized pour of this, but I was greatly impressed. Delightfully sour, slightly sweet, this is a great one .

KickInTheChalice, Dec 03, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked this up via the single bottle from Gary's in Wayne since I never tried this and have enjoyed the Founders beers that are available in this neck of the woods. I'm not the biggest fan of fruit and vegetable beers but with the colder weather here now, I figured that this would be appropriate for the season!

Sure enough, this smelled like cherries when I poured it out but it wasn't an overwhelming aroma. The hue was a ruddy brown with not a lot of head and a nice amount of lacing. The taste was malty and fairly sweet with some tartness thrown in for good measure. I felt a bit of rye in the mouthfeel and this was certainly fuller than I expected it to be, even in the aftertaste!

This isn't a session beer but it's not the alcohol that's the deal breaker. Rather, it's the sweetness and pie-like mouthfeel of this beer. Is this great after dinner. Sure, and it's not a Stout either. I could easily see myself having another one of these on a holiday night after dinner and this is certainly one of the better beers in this category that I've tried - a nice surprise indeed.

JerzDevl2000, Dec 02, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice lacing on the glass, tinge of pink in the yellow amber color. Kept a thin collar most the way down the glass.

S: Cherry blossom, light and airy, some sweetness, light green apple and raisin.

T: Sweet, but a sour cherry skin tartness cuts it back to leave a clean finish. The beer base is a little light, leaving this almost malternative.

M: Surprisingly heavy given the fairly light and airy taste. Low carbonation helps give it a silky texture.

D: A nice fruit beer. Think I'm happy with the half glass, but wouldn't mind another. Too sweet to make a session out of, but a nice treat now and again.

Many thanks to IlludiumQ36 for the generous trade!

HardTarget, Nov 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

Enjoyed on tap at Urbana's wonderful The Crane Alley, right after Troubadour's Magma Belgian IPA.

It might have been serendipitous that I enjoyed this distinct beer right after another, contrastingly distinct beer named above, for I had long avoided this. I am admittedly not a big fan of fruit beer, even with "Founders" emblazoned atop the case or, in this case, tap. However, somewhat on a whim, I tried and loved this.

A lush finger of white foam tops a clear bright ruby body in a 10 oz. tulip glass. The amount of lacing impresses me; good-looking beer, no doubt. Indeed, this is loaded with cherry, and I also detect a big of cranberry; very fruity nose.

The taste strikes an ideal balance between sweet and tart, remarkable for its delicate approach. The start is more sweet, the finish is a bit more tart, perhaps drawing in the wary with an overt appeal to one's sweet tooth. As good as anything, and unlike a good many fruit beers, this is so NOT like a wine cooler in taste. Nor is it cloying, with the tart quality nailed just right.

Terrific effervescence, with a little caramel malt balancing out Cerise. Wow. This is like liquid sorbet.

It isn't so much that I didn't want to like this. Rather, my wariness about the style led me to even doubt that Founders could pull a gem out of this. Yet this brilliant brewery did. There seems to be nothing that Founders cannot do well, and this sweet and somewhat tart brew is no exception. It isn't quite my style, but I won't hesitate to grab a four-pack of these if the mood strikes me; a wonderful surprise.

Gehrig, Nov 23, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

The beer pours to a reddish chestnut body with a creamy white head. The aroma is cherry juice and malts. The flavor starts off with sweet and tart cherries. With a smooth malt body. Almost tastes like Cherry Pie with that malt. The palate is sweet and Tart at the same time. Mouth watering. Texture really works. probably my favorite Fruit beer so far. Time to expand my taste profile.

beergod1, Nov 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

09 vintage served on tap. Poured into a tulip.

This is what I'm talking about. The 2010 batch isn't nearly as good as this. I'm not sure if it is the aging or the crop of cherries-- the variety between 09 and 10 is incredible.
The 2010 is boring; it's one note,
The 2009 is incredible; it's complex and tart, with a light funk to it. This is delicious.

The smell and taste have sweet cherries, some boozy funk with light airy fruit notes.

The body is medium-full with good carbonation... A slightly oily feel is acceptable.

This is tasty and easy to drink. I will have another! Just delicious.

AleWatcher, Nov 22, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked up a single 12 oz. of this one to give it a whirl. I love cherry beers and Founders, so I hope it lives up to both.

Appearance: Unique color. It is almost a reddish orange color, but it almost glows in the glass. Hazy and not clear at all. Very little head that leaves just a trace of lacing.

Aroma: Not a big nose on this one. You get the cherries and very faint malt, but mostly just tart cherry goodness.

Taste: This is a mostly fruity flavored beer. The cherry hits on many parts of the tongue. It is sweet, tart, slightly sour, but there isn't a shred of bitterness in this one.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This is a light, crisp and clean beer. For such a sweet and fruit forward beer, it is still somewhat dry on the finish, especially towards the end of the glass. I could see having more than one of these easily, but more than that and I think the flavor would be too much.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. Very cherry forward without being a Belgian, which is unique. The only other beer that I've had with so much unadulterated cherry goodness is NG Belgian Red. Both are great beers.

soze47, Nov 19, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer pours with an orange color with a reddish tint. It had very little head, and no lacing. It smells like you would expect of a cherry beer, with nice cherry notes and a bit of malt character. The taste is much more cherry forward, with dried cherries, maybe dried apples and oddly enough a bit of alcohol. Mouthfeel is really nice and light and effervescent. Very refreshing and a joy to drink.

Agold, Nov 17, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Bright hazy orange with a distinct red / amber hue. Thin white head that slowly fades into a small ring.

Mild cherries and sweet malt. I was expecting a bit more from the aroma, but it was very subtle. Nothing all that interesting - I sure hope the flavor is a bit more exciting.

The taste blows the aroma out of the water. Delicious tart ripe cherries! There is a great mingling of sweet malt and tart cherries. What impressed me most was the fact that the cherries tasted authentic.

Slightly thin with solid carbonation.

When I was first hit with the aroma I was expecting the taste to be a let down, but I was blown out of the water with the flavor. The malts were rich and sweet while the cherries were mouth puckeringly tart! It almost felt like a lambic. I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I was.

jlandis, Nov 16, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz. bottle into glass tulip.
45°F

$3.49 / ea.

A: Hazy copper body that tends toward red with an enormous light peach head that slowly recedes leaving generous foamy lace and a thick rocky cover.

S: Sour cherries and sweet bready malt. No hop aroma. Smells like desert!

T: Sour cherry flavors dominate over a sweet malt backbone. No bitterness, and very little aftertaste. Very one dimensional, but that dimension is worth the cost of admission. Very well executed.

M: Medium body and heavy carbonation. Viscous sugar feel on the tongue and a strong carbonic bite that goes well with the tart flavors.

D: The style itself doesn't generally lend itself to sessioning, but it is flavorful without being overpowering. Great on a warm summer evening, or as an after dinner drink.

O: I only had one to try, but I will be sure to pick up several packs of this next season to share with friends and family.

dpnelson1978, Nov 16, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle at 42* into a Boon Kriek glass.

A: This pours a pink-ruby red color with a foamy and fizzy head that remains as a thin layer throughout.

S: It features aromas of ripe cherries, some faint notes of grain, and not much else.

T: It has slightly sweet and tangy cherries, a mild dose of maltiness, and a cherry-pit aftertaste.

M: It is medium-bodied and leaves some cherry juice stickiness.

D: This isn't very complex but it has a decent taste and is quite refreshing.

bucklemyshoe, Nov 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Glows an orange-tilting red color, bubbles working themselves up through the liquid extremely slowly. This head isn't huge or anything, but it's pink, if a washed-out looking pink. A pretty, delicate looking beer.

Very little aroma detected, just an extremely faint hint of cherries. Not gonna score it low because there's nothing off or offensive here, it's just hardly there.

Flavor is a really big blast of sour cherries up front, and there's a sweet grainy sort of essence here that for some silly reason reminds me of the subtle flavor of graham crackers or those artificial-colored cream wafers. The sweetness doesn't last too long, while the sourness turns into a tart ghost of flavor in the finish. And, as with many fruit beers of this type, I find that the back of the sip and finish brings on a plastic-y sort of vibe.

Smooth in the mouth, with some tingly bubbles giving it shape, although maybe just a little less aggressive carbonation would be better. For all the tartness, Cerise only puckers the mouth up very mildly, but it's there.

This is a full-flavored fruit beer that I found easy to enjoy; nothing to sneeze at just because it's a "fruit beer." Wouldn't be a daily pick for me, but this is probably better than most in its category because, you know, Founders rules.

Metalmonk, Nov 11, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to pwoody11 for this one!

A: Pours a clear ruby/orange with a very small head that dissipated quickly. Small circles of foam on the sides, but not what I would call lacing.

S: Cherries and some spicyness, and some rye. Slightly alcoholic as well.

T: Sour cherries and then malts and spices. Has a weak finish.

M/D: Medium bodied, with less carbonation than expected. Nice sour component as well. Overall, it is a well made beer, but just not really my thing. I like it, but would never want more than one.

mdaschaf, Nov 10, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours a golden yellowish-red color with no head to speak of.

S: Smells of cherries and other dark fruits, malty undertones.

T: Sour cherries and grapes. Very tart drink to start off. Malt characters resonate at the close of the drink.

MF: Very light, but bitter. Can't tell if the twang is carbonation or tart cherries.

D: Decent. Wouldn't drink much more than the bottle I had in one sitting.

russwbeck, Nov 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +21%

Michigan has a strong cherry heritage so it's no surprise that Michigan brewers have incorporated the fruit into their brews. Bells has their Cherry Stout, Shorts has their Black Cherry Porter; even Boston's Sam Adams claims to use Michigan cherries in their cherry wheat. I have for the most part enjoyed all of these brews. How I'm just now trying Founder's Cerise for the first time is beyond me. Let's check it out.

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. A pink one finger thick head forms atop a light amber beer that is mildly hazy. The head fizzles to nothing within a minute leaving some sticky lacing on the side of the glass. The color is very unique. It almost looks like peach-tea.

Scents are all over the board. Oddly enough, the first thing that hits the nose is yeast. Behind that are some fruity alcohol odors, not unlike cherry wine. Wheat is present but well hidden.

Cherry hits hard on the tongue. It's like a tart cherry concentrate but with the added benefit of fizzy carbonation. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Wheat is also present. The finish is incredibly light with a little bit of lingering fruity tang. This comes across closer to a wine for me than a beer, but that's just fine. If I had to classify this, the closest style that comes to mind is Pale Wheat Ale, but with cherry instead of citrus.

This is a lot of fun in the mouth. It's medium bodied with the aforementioned fizzy carbonation but it never feels like a cherry soda. It's very refreshing.

6.5% makes it a touch strong for a session beer (though a bit weak for a wine). However the flavor hides all of the alcohol. This is dangerously easy to drink. I'm glad that I only grabbed a single of this because I'd be tempted to drink these one after another. I think I have a new favorite cherry beer.

weizenbob, Nov 04, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: inert; no head; bright salmon red
S: a strong dose of tart apple/cherry smell
T: zoomy tart cherry flavor; very syrupy; sweet, not bitter; the cherry dominates; it is something like a dry Kerik
M: a bit too viscuous for my taste
D: too exotic to be returned to

Arithmeticus, Nov 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +16%

I picked up a single of this brew today since i haven't seen it on the shelves before and because I have been on a Founders bender lately. So lets give this cherry bastard a go. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 5oz sampling mug.

A- This beer pours a super hazy golden orange color with a thin layer of white head that was gone rather fast.

S- Smells like a sweet mixture of cherry and grapes, pretty fruity. Some yeast can be picked up also.

T- Sweet and sour, I was expecting the sweetness but wasn't expecting the sour, but it works will with this beer and is not overpowering and goes very well with the strong flavors of cherry. Alcohol is barely detectable.

M- A little thin but it works well with this beer, carbonation is spot on.

D- This beer is too sweet too have good drinkability. I am satisfied with just one of these, its good for switching things up a bit.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and it was a nice change of pace from the styles i am used to drinking. For me as of lately it seems that Founders can do no wrong and this beer was no exception. This beer was fun to drink and my brother liked it also.

StoutHunter, Nov 01, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Just kind of picked this one up on a whim after walking past my favorite bottle shop in State College. Looked interesting enough and figured I'd try something different.

A - Right after popping off the cap, I got a very strong scent of sweet cherries. It poured a deep orange yellowish color and built about a one-fingered head that stuck around for a bit. Body is a bit cloudy and don't see much carbonation. Not much lacing.

S - Nose is strong cherry up front, with a bit of sugary, grape smell behind. Quite fruity and a little bit spicy. Besides that, not much going on the bouquet.

T - The taste actually really caught me off guard with this one. It's quite a bit more sour than I thought, and is certainly overwhelmingly cherry and fruity. Some malt at the end, but almost no alcohol at bite. It's tasty, but a bit too sugary tasting and kind of reminds me of not-so-good wine.

M - Very light-bodied with almost noticeable carbonation. This lack of carbonation aids in the comparison to a cheap wine.

D - Drinkability isn't very good. It's flavorful and hides the alcohol well, but the sugary and sour combination hurts it. A unique offering but I don't think I'll be seeking this one out again.

nhindian, Oct 27, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance: Golden orange with a little red tinge to it. This beer is topped with an off white head.

Aroma: Only a little hint of tart cherries.

Taste: A little sour with delicious sweet and tart cherry flavor. Like a cherry pie. The sourness and cherries cover up most of the malt.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent carbonation, almost champagne like.

Drinkability: Nice and light for such a beer, good drinkability.

Pentastar, Oct 20, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark burnt orange, brown, looks like a rye for sure

Smell - Cherries, malts, hops, barley. Has a nice rye and spice smell

Taste - Very bittey cherry flavor hits you first. I get grapes and lemon also. Really strong on the fruits, dont get much hop taste, but the malts and spices are there

Mouthfeel - Sweet, bitter, like drinking a wine really. Tounge gets that sour kick then palette gets the sweetness. After the sour dies down, very tastey in the mouth

Drinkabilty - For a hophead, or stout fan, not something i would drink regularly. A nice change, for sure a dessert beer. Id pick up a 6-pack annually and leave it at that. Wine fans, not-beer fans would enjoy this. Pretty cool and different but im 1 and done.

wvsabbath, Oct 16, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass. bottled 04/27/10.

pours a cloudy amber tone with maybe a finger and a half of a creamy white/off-white head that demonstrates decent retention and lacing.

i find the nose to be rather underwhelming... just very subdued. notes of cherry and malt but muted on bother counts, i was expecting more.

intereting flavor profile. tart cherries lead the way up front, followed by a maltiness i get more mid-palate and then some bitterness coming in the finish. not a bad beer, but not doing a lot for me, either.

medium bodied/carbed mouthfeel. glad i tried it, and would recommend it to anyone into fruit beers (especially cherry, obviously) but i'm not exactly jonesin' for another.

perrymarcus, Oct 14, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

It a very nice dark cherry like aroma that is not overly sweet. There are some malt and hops tones to the aroma as well. The head disappears quickly down to a thin line with minimal lace. The body has dark red hue. The flavor is well balanced. The beer has a good cherry flavor without the fruitiness being overly present. There is a fruity bitterness with some grain esters. The body has a medium and smooth mouthfeel.

MTNboy, Oct 08, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: pours from the bottle an appealing hue of rose/amber, extremely fine patchy, almost tiger pattern head, minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: a light fruity cherry aroma dominates the nose on this brew, although some sweetness from the grains is detectable.

Taste: good light refreshing taste, the tart cherry comes through as the main flavor.

Mouthfeel: very fine bubbles for the carbonation, sparkling almost like a champagne, very light bodied and refreshing.

Drinkability: very drinkable.

mcann2pu, Oct 07, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Nice random score after stopping at a hole in the wall bottle shop on my way home from a wedding in Jersey.

Poured a pleasant on the eyes Garnet color with a light pink head. Head was medium sized and left some nice sticky lacing behind as it was consumed.

Aroma is mostly cherry dominated, with malts in the background. Nothing easily discernible going on here.

Tastes pretty much follows the nose. A nice balance of tart cherry and a sweet malt backbone.

Thoroughly enjoyed this brew. Can't wait to crack open the others in the 4-pack.

pwoody11, Oct 04, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a fleeting off white head. This beer is amber colored. The aroma is cherries and malt. The taste is tart cherries. This is definitely a cherry beer. The mouthfeel is medium. It is good if you like cherries. I could drink this occasionally, but it would be tough to pound a bunch of them.

buschbeer, Oct 03, 2010