Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a red/pink color with about a half inch light pink head. Head retention is low, lacing is good. Aroma is sweet and tart cherries. Neither the sweetness or tartness overpowers the other, there's a good balance between the 2. Taste is similar to the aroma. It's all cherries, but I think there's more sweet than tart in the taste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit rich and is well carbonated. Drinkability is OK, I could have a couple of these every once in a while if in the mood for a fruit beer. It's a decent enough brew, but this isn't something I could drink all the time.

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- This beer pours a very light semi-hazy reddish color. Almost a pink color I think but not quite. 1 finger head that is a shade of red as well fades quite quickly but leaves traces of lacing the entire beer.

S- This beer has a one sided nose to it. All I really smell off the bat is cherry. It smells to be a little tart...I don't know how to explain it but once you smell it yourself you'll know what I mean. No hint of the ABV at all in this. Kind of expecting it to shine through for some reason.

T- Tart cherries right off the bat. This made my mouth pucker a little bit from the first sip. A pleasant suprise to say the least. I can really get into this summer beer. I feel kind of weird calling it a beer when it almost has no qualities of one. The alcohol in this is not detectable at all and could make for a dangerous clash if you start to slam it.

M- Light mouthfeel to it. The tartness of the cherry slides across the palate with this beer. The carbonation helps it move along. The taste of cherries on your tounge after makes this beer a little less enjoyable in the mouthfeel catagory since I'm not the biggest cherry fan.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. Nice beer to sip on with friends who don't like craft beers because well....it doesn't really taste or drink like one. Overall not a bad beer at all and I plan on picking some more up for my friends who don't drink.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pink and red grapefruit colour, spritzy head fizzes and shrinks away, not much head remains. Lots of sediment, I avoided most but there is still a hazy suspension of flakes, most fall to the bottom of the glass in due course. Smell is cherry, rhubarb. Tastes like a cherry juice spritzer, some bitterness, muted sweetness of strawberry, cleansing mouthfeel. I like that the fruity taste is not too sweet, no syrupy texture, crisp green apple at times, rhubarb. Body is a bit thin, aftertaste not bad, berry fruit mainly, alcohol not a factor. Well worth trying.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Live review. Poured into my Samuel Smith clean, clear pint glass. $2.84 as a single at Heinen's near Cleveland.

A Light pink body, kind of basic with a minimal and short lived very light pink head. Slight lacing. Nothing special.

S Nice gentle and sweet cherry nose with possibly an authentic tartness. Interesting and different.

T Very nice...this is the nice tart cherry taste that you get sometimes in a good cherry pie...I always appreciate when a beer (or any drink really) accurately reflects the taste of the fruit that is included. This beer delivers on an accurate (and delicious) cherry taste in a nice ale.

M Fair. There is a hint of a smoothness.

D Very good, and judging from the ABV this is a dangerous beer. I cannot taste the alcohol very much at all and I could see that it would sneak up on you and you might be three sheets to the wind.

Notes: Another good beer from Founders which I am beginning to doubt has ever made anything but a bad beer.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

A- Pours an odd red color with smallish light lavender head (yes, lavender). Laces nicely.

S- Strange, at first I thought it was a Miller Light with some cherry syrup in it. It moves into a nice sweet cherry smell though. Not too strong.

T- Tastes like cherry cobbler. What the hell, is this a beer? Some cinnamon, cherry syrup, more cherries. Tasty, but I don't know what to think of it. I didn't know there were beers that tasted like this. Tastes good I guess, just not like a beer. Sweet, light on the tart.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slight dry finish.

D- Not bad, the sweetness makes this hard to drink too many.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Founders Cerise is an odd, although not unappealing, shade of bright reddish orange. The whipped creamy crown is cherry blossom pink and is starting to leave sudsy patches of lace on the upper reaches of the glass. Much more sticks once the beer falls with drinking. It's a good look and is perfectly in keeping with the style.

After a single sniff, it's obvious that tart (Michigan) cherries are the centerpiece of this beer. That doesn't mean the nose is aromatic enough, because it isn't. Rubaeus was bursting with raspberries, so I'm not sure why this one isn't bursting with cherries.

Fruit beers don't need to hit the drinker over the head, but they do need to be more bold than this. The total amount of flavor is roughly half of what it is in the Sam Smith Organic Fruit Beers. If you think that's okay because you don't love cherries, then what the hell are you doing drinking a cherry fruit beer?

Founders did a better job with Cerise than with Rubaeus in one way (and only one way). This offering has a moderate sweetness, which is a nice complement to the fruity tartness. Bitterness is virtually absent (15 IBUs), as it should be in most beer of this style. The finish lingers for a bit, and is where the fruit flavor makes its biggest splash.

It looks like appearance and mouthfeel are the highlights. The sugars are on the high side (let's go with moderately to significantly sweet), which lends a lightly syrupy quality. The bubbles are fine and dandy, being neither too prominent nor too scarce.

Word is, Cerise is a replacement for Rubaeus, presumably due to the relative costs of the fruit. That's a shame because the raspberry beer is better than the cherry beer. Oh well, there's plenty of other stuff from Founders to love. Like most all of it.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

We have the standard 12 fl oz brown bottle. The label is a pinkish label with a picture of cherries on it. The name of the beer is in a fancy handwritten looking script under it. In a red banner it states Cherry Fermented ale.

When poured into a glass, there is a pink, ruby grapefruit like color to it. The beer is clear, with no signs of floaters or cloudiness to it at all. You can see right through it, albeit with a pink tint. The head that forms is a light cotton candy like pink color that fades to a film on the top. There is some lacing on the side of the glass. Did I mention it's pink?

The scent is a strong tart cherry scent. There is a mild malt scent to the background that gives the beer a slight musty smell. The taste is much like the smell, cherries and malts. The cherries have both the tartness of real cherries and a bit of a sweetness of cocktail cherries. The flavor is very mild with almost no bitterness to it at all. The aftertaste is barely noticeable. At 6.5% ABV you couldn't taste the alcohol.

This is a light bodied beer, with a mild carbonation. There is no coating to the mouth.

Fruit beers are not normally my forte, yet this one I actually found pleasant to drink. The cherry flavor wasn't overpowering like in some other cherry flavored drinks I've had. Also for 6.5% ABV, this was very easy to drink, almost too easy. In fact I could see myself accidently drinking a six pack of this way too fast.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Dark pink, with a pinkish head that seems rather fizzy and fades quickly.

S: Cherry, tart and sour.

T: Sweet, very good fruit flavor.

M: Spritzy is a good word to describe it. It works well for the style. Keeps it light, refreshing, doesn't wear on your palate too much.

D: Pretty solid, I found it enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark pink, almost red, color with a light pink fluffy head that stuck around for a while.

Smell: Tart cherries and a hint of malts.

Taste: Just as the smell suggests, very tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and well carbonated

Drinkability: Couldn't have probably more than 2 of these due to the tartness. My wife likes them, so I will probably keep some on hand.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a nice burnished copper color with some decent head ad cice lacing. Excellent cherry scent, with just a hit of malts in there with it. Nice tart flavor, wonderful cherry attributes that don't overwhelm, with just a hint of hops and a nice malty hit going through it. Goes down fairly smooth, but does have an odd mixture of after tastes.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a hazy ruby color with a one inch light pink foamy head. The beer has decent head retention, and as it receeds it leaves a full curtain of lace behind.

The aroma is decent. The cherry tone is obvious, and is quickly followed by a lightly grainy malt, more of a bready profile. It's slightly sweet as well. Nothing to write home about really, but decent.

The taste is ok. It has a big cherry presence, which I really enjoy. It's slightly tart, and full of fruit flavor which many fruit beers lack. It finishes with a decent amount of pale malt, which I would like to see played down even a bit more than it is. Overall not too bad though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated with a very fine yet crisp and tingley bubble.

Drinkability is moderate to high. The beer is definitely easy to drink as it has good flavor. The ABV is well incorporated, and I would have never guessed it to be at 6.5%. I can see this beer wearing on the drinker though. The fruit flavor is a bit much to enjoy more than one of these. A pleasant experience nonetheless.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe Glass

Color is a peach pink mixture. Head is hued light pink. Good lace along with some decent retention. Pretty appealing beer.

Aroma is very light. Tart cherries, but that's all I am getting. It is good, but too light for me.

Taste is of very tart cherries and a mixture of berries. Maybe a slight like leines berrywiesse, but way better in quality and taste. Has some raspberries and strawberries here.

Mouthfeel is very tart. Medium bodied and well carbonated. I really like the sour pucker with this beer.

Overall, I really liked this beer. It was refreshing and nice for a hot summer day. I could easily drink another. I will be getting more of this.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear rose, with a 1/2 finger of tight pinkish-white head. Retains with a thin, yet foamy look, that leaves back some great looking thick lacing that COATS the sides of the glass. The aroma is straight up tart cherry juice that is mixed in with sugary bread and some really spicy and floral hop character. This mix actually gives this a bit of a spicy and fruity cookie feel. This isn't quite full in the nose but what's there is fairly vibrant.

The taste is pretty much exactly the same as the aroma but a little more robust. A flush of juicy tart cherries that's backed by a sugary doughy sweetness and some moderately assertive spicy hop bitterness. Finishes with some residual fruity sweetness and spice. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a relatively prickly feel to the carbonation that then mellows out towards the back of the swallow. The sharpness up front really helps the spicy hops pop. This actually drinks pretty good for the size, as I didn't really pick up a whole lot of beef in the body.

All around pleasant new fruit beer here from Founders. I dug the authenic taste of the cherries and this was definitely a steady sipper at 6.5% ABV. I think this one's at least worth checking out.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

This poured a hazy pinkish copper with a bit of white head. It smelled like refined wheat and bready yeast with lemon and a bit of cherry. It tasted like sour cherry and refined wheat and bready yeast, with some lemon and copper hops. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a tart aftertaste. Overall this was an interesting beer. The smell was subdued and misleading, while the flavor was very puckering cherry. It tasted clean but was more like a witbier or hefeweizen than expected. It had good body, but the sourness made this more of a sipping beer. I suppose this accomplished what the brewers intended, but it wasn't right for my tastes.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from the bottle a clean red color with a thin white cap.

Bright aroma of Michigan cherries and a hint of some spice.

My grandmother used to serve us large bowls of dark cherries sprinkled with sugar as a kid. That is the taste. Cherries, cherries, and more cherries. Any other flavors? I don't know and don't really care. This is good.

Medium bodied, rich and smooth, and moderately carbonated.

I'm not really a fan of fruity beers but this is one I really enjoy. Perfect for a hot St. Louis summer and a must try.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I haven't been real impressed with fruit and vegetable beers (except for Unibroue Ephemere Apple), but this one falls into the "not too bad" category.

Pours an orangey iced tea color when held up to the light, on the table it looks more reddish. Head starts out big and white but faces quickly to a covering of the glass. Leaves some lacing.

Smell is malty with a fruity/perfumey character as well. Fairly mild smell.

Taste is ok. Light, fruity but not too sweet or overpowering like some of the blueberry beers. Kind of a cherry soda type flavor ending with a bit of sourness at the end. Some malt presence as well. Mouthfeel is rich enough. Drinkability is ok. I'm not a big fan of this style. but this beer is more enjoyable than most of the fruit and vegetable beers I have tried.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up 2 of these to get the 6pk price break on my 4pk of KBS... Yeah i got no shame for a discount.

A. Kinda looks like Killians... Red body, thin white head...Nothing impressive

S. like funky fruit juice with malt...Again, nothing impressive.

T. Fuckin A! It's like a sour cherry pop with a bit of maltiness... I'm diggin it

M. good feel to it. goes with the beer.

D. easy drinker. I could probably toss back a few of these with ease. The tartness may be a problem but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

Overall, I'll have another

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

I bought this four pack for my wife for $9.99 because she loved it at the Winter Beerfest in Comstock Park, MI this past year. But her positive pregnancy test this morning now makes the beer mine! It looks like Cherry 7 UP. Rose colored body with a nice pink/white head. Sour tart cherry smell. Not much else. Faint malt, maybe. This beer tastes very much like those cans of tart cherry pie filling. Sweet and sour. Lacing rings are left behind with every sip I take. Well carbonated and medium body. Pretty easy drinker. Good novelty beer. Probably a good choice for girls who don't like beer.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm becoming less enamored with fruit and vegetable type beers, but the Cerise by Founders is the exception. I really enjoyed this spritzy little beer.

It pours a very carbonated and fizzy reddish color from the cherries of course, with not much white head or lacing. The nose was not overly fruity, a bit more subdued with vague hints of sweet malts, sweet florals, maybe a hint of yeastiness. The taste was just spritzy on the tongue, very cherry in flavor, lots of sweet seltzery cherry soda like flavors, with some solid malt underneath that gave it some body. This was just an enjoyable, not overly sour, not overly light, refreshing cherry seltzer like beer. It's worth seeking out.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Poured a light red, almost pink with a very small head that fizzled out quickly. In truth, it looked almost like a soda.

Smell: It has the cherry smell as it would be expected, however it wasn't as overpowering as I expected it to be.

Taste: Much sweeter than expected. To me, it almost tasted more like strawberries than cherries as it is so sweet.

Mouthfeel: This is a pretty thin beer, but it had a bit of character in some kind of thickness that was unexpected quite frankly.

Drinkability: Although this beer tastes pretty good, it's just too sweet for me. One or two at most for me.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Very interesting looking stuff here! Rose-colored with quite a bit of haze, with a finger of pink head. Retention is fairly short but surprisingly some lacing is left behind.

S - I'm not sure if there's actual cinnamon in Cerise, but cinnamon is the first aroma to hit and very distinct. Underneath is a simple cherry tartness with trace of candylike or artificial notes. Nothing "beer-y" that I can find, just simple, clean, and upfront fruit.

T - For something called a "beer" this tastes very little of any sort of grain, and I can't find a trace of hops. That being said, it still tastes great. Moderately sweet cherry comes in immediately bringing with it a pleasant tartness that grows throughout the sip. Late palate with the sweetness at it's lowest and the tartness at its peak, vague notions of grain bounce around, but it's not a flavor I can pinpoint in every sip. The finish and aftertaste yeild more of the cinnamon from the nose.

M - Light to medium bodied with a soft carbonation. Curiously, other reviewers have described this brew as "spritzy;" I don't know if my bottle is off or what but the low carbonation suits it well, maintaining the sweet/sour balance.

D - As has been the case during this review, it's really hard to think of Cerise as a beer. The whole time I've been thinking of a sort of sparkling wine with some obviously lowered ABV. At any rate this stuff tastes great which is almost unheard of when brewers start throwing fruit in their beer. Although you won't find the seamlessness or pure synergy of fruit and beer as in the case of Bell's Cherry Stout, you will get a very clean beverage showcasing natural tasting fruit rather than a sort of fruit "esscence" superimposed on a weak, off-tasting American wheat. Cerise wouldn't be a bad choice to have a couple of, it certainly goes down without a fight. I can also pleasurably imagine finishing off a night with this brew.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Pink beer? Yup. Translucent pink grapefruit color with a thin pink tinted white head. Clearly this would not be approved by the Miller Lite "Men of the Square Table" beer panel. Weak lace and think retention that can be swirled up on demand. I think pink beer is kinda nifty.

Smells like cherry and nutmeg with mild, stale yeast.

Cherry seltzer with a delightful nutmeg and cinnamon finish. Mouthfeel is slightly beery and though not as obnoxiously fizzy as I had firt anticipated, it's still pretty soda-like. One of the better fruit beers I've had but as with all of them, one is plenty.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A- Pours a light rose colour with a small pink head that recedes to nothing within a minute.

S-crisp smell of a light macro beer. A light hint of frutiness, but not much noticeable cherry scent besides a grenadine sweetness lingering in the background.

T-Sweet maraschino cherry flavour moving along for a crisp finish. Lingering cherry sweetness.

M-A little syrupy, but finishing crisp.

Not one of Founder's better offerings.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Had this on tap at the Founders Brewery. Poured into a pint glass. Appears an pinkish amber color with a thin head. Of course the aroma has plenty of cherries - boy this beer smells good. There were aromas of other berries coming in too. Taste starts off quite tart and then the sweetness kicks in mostly of cherries and some raspberry. Wow, I love the way this beer tastes. Very well balanced and a great dessert beer. My lady friend with me enjoyed it quite well too. Founders needs to be in TX soon.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Ruby red coloring with a white head that has just a tint of red. Head is less than one finger and soon gone, but there is active carbonation and a little lacing. Beer is dark and a little hazy, not at all crisp looking.

S: Smells of sour cherries and more malt than hops. The sour cherry smell is really the dominant note.

T: Tart and fruity, makes the lips pucker a little. Not sour in the funky Belgian way though, just sour. No boozy or hops taste, but a slight maltyness comes eventually. Maybe a more sweet, black cherry taste on the back of the mouth can be found

M: Great, has a nice consistency, refreshing and slightly fizzy, compliments the taste well.

D: Pretty good, not something I would want to get drunk off of, but something I could happily have a few of.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company