Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the 12 oz. stubby screw off bottle that Founders likes into a nice tulip sort of glass.
A: A steady pour revealed little in the way of head, but what formed was a reddish tinged wispyness that quickly dissipated to almost nothing. The fluid poured is a cloudy dull "strawberry Starburst" color with bubbles collecting on the glass and then releasing to the top.

S: The aroma has small elements of the added cherry puree but it is fairly subtle. The more dominant smell is the toasty malted backbone. The cherry element is definitely reminiscent of red cherries as opposed to black cherries.

T: Taste is aggressively tart cherry with a slightly sweet finish. The tartness is so present the beer has a pucker factor to it. Somewhere in the middle I am detecting some notes of toasty malt and a slight bit of alcohol.

MF: The mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat thin with little carbonation retained.

D: I dunno... I think one is enought for a sitting.

ahalloin, Jun 05, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours almost pink at first. Like a fruity tropical drink, except not really cloudy. By the time it settles is is a slightly darker shade of red. Smells malty, and lots of cherries. Something like graham cracker in there also. Taste, is a slightly tart cherry blast. But the great thing is unlike many cherry beers, it doesn't cloy at all. Not too sweet, just right. Nice malt base, and what I think is cinammon to go with the graham crackeryness. It's a little thin through, as to be expected, but very drinkable. I'm liking the second bottle of this a lot more than I liked the first.

damienblack, Jun 03, 2009

Solid offering here. I had heard this one was out for a while now, but I had never gotten around to actually trying it. After a month or so, I was delighted to be able to receive one if the mail. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one while cooking out on 05/31/2009.

The pour was nice, light pink in color with a light fizzy head of white on top. Nice amounts of carbonation were tossed in as well and the overall look of it was very very, and very light. Smooth, mellow aroma of cherries here with a very nice balance struck between the tartness and light sweet notes that permeated throughout. Lightly dry on the finish here and the fruit flavor was done in such a way as to not take overall offense to it. Rather this was not a big, fruit heavy flavored beer, it was nice and clean, crisp, refreshing. Very solidly done with a light, easy drinkable nature to it that made the day go by quick.

Overall an easy drinking, smooth, clean and very seasonable light fruit beer. I would have no issue at all with having this again any day, In fact I think it would be well worth it.

mikesgroove, Jun 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Big fan of this beer. Decanted into a pint glass. It's a hazy deep red with a white head. Good retention. Aromas are a little bready, emphasized with tart cherries. Flavors are fantastic. Starts with a sweet and tart cherry flavor, then moves into a bready center. Tastes like real cherries - not an overly-sweetened syrup. The flavors are well balanced, too - this still definitely is a beer, not kool aid. Medium mouthfeel. A very drinkable fruit beer - I will gladly return to this one!

ndekke39, Jun 02, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours an appropriately cherry-hued body that's a tad hazy and layered with a small-sized, wispy, white head.

Smell: Juicy, ripe cherries provides some sweet-scented accents, but mostly tart notes come through. Also, some meager hints of spice.

Taste: Cherries! With a well-balanced intermingling of both toothsome sweetness and puckering tartness. There's an apparent maltiness to the beer, but, really, it just seems to serve as a modest base for the added fruit. Pinch of cinnamon in the background. Very subtle hint of bitterness. Still, the beer finishes with final sweet/tart flourishes and that cinnamon note moving to the front.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability: An ideally refreshing cherry beer and one I enjoyed. It's no New Glarus Belgian Red, but it's no slouch, either. Give it a try if you're an admitted fan of fruit beers.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 01, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Red tinged medium darkened brew. Nice thick pinkish head that slowly fades to fine lacing. Made me question my manhood for a moment as I looked at it.

S: Slight sour smell; otherwise, nothing too interesting.

T: Sweet cherry flavor at first followed by a puckering sour taste. A nice contrast in flavors.

M: Sour carbonation on the front and sides. Syrupy medium bodied over the tongue and at the finish.

D: Not something I'd drink on it's own. Perfect for the right dessert, salad or lighter appetizer.

Served in a cervoise glass.

eljefe21, May 30, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz single purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a red color with a pink head that disappears before you put the bottle down. No bubbles remain to leave any lacing.

S: All I can pick up is a tart cherry aroma. I can't pick up anything else.

T: The taste is pretty much what you would expect based on the aroma. Its a tart cherry bomb. Its definitely an interesting experience even if its not my favorite flavor.

M: Very thin and has very little carbonation in the mouth. What is there is overly prickly which makes it even less enjoyable for me.

D: The tartness and prickliness of this one makes me take it a bit slow.

GatorBeerNerd, May 29, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +16%

Pours a very clear pinkish red, with a pink-tinted head. Globs and threads of lacing show up. This beer has good retention.

Smells like cherries. No surprises here, but it's a very nice aroma.

Tastes like tart cherries and cherry pie.

Cerise is medium-bodied and feels slippery. Nice amount of carbonation. Very drinkable.

I much prefer Rübæus over this, but Cerise is leagues better than most fruit beers I've had.

sarahspat, May 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy pale red color with a small pink head that unfortunately does not linger for long. Just some wispy suds is left behind. Plenty of sticky lacing is left on the glass. The aroma consists of cherries and a musty malt that might hint to some tartness. Has a nice slightly tart cherry flavor. A bit like cherry syrup. Finishes sweet with a cherry aftertaste. Nothing surprising in the flavor. A little bit of a sour/funky component would work well with this beer. Light body with a slightly fizzy carbonation. Perfectly suitable in this beer. Easy drinking for cherry lovers. More serious beer drinkers may prefer a lambic however.

morimech, May 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer pours a light red color that fades to pink when held up to light. The head is small and pink, and recedes into almost no lacing within seconds. The aroma balanced between malt and cherries. The cherry character is more like a sweet cherry juice than a tart kriek beer. The taste, however, has the tartness in vast amounts. There is a little malt detectable in the background, but it is really all about the cherries. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriately moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, I'm quite impressed with this beer. The aroma could use some tweaking, but everything else is very nice.

KarlHungus, May 24, 2009

Pours pink with a small light pink head that was gone fairly quickly with no lacing. Aroma is tart cherries and a little musty, slightly yeasty. Taste is puckering with lots of tart cherries, sweet, almost has melted cherry popsicle-like flavor to it. I really do like this cherry flavor and the tartness, but it's not as fully consuming as something like Wisconsin Belgian Red. Prickly carbonation, pretty easy to drink actually. Very nice on a warm and sunny day. I can dig this. Not something I would drink all the time, but this 4 pack will do nicely for now.

KeefD, May 24, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

An awesome accomplishment. Beer is one of the top mediums for distributing flavor. This ale shows the potential to capture an ingredient and showcase it with careful balance. The ruby grapefruit body looks so natural. The off pink head sits beautifully ontop and drops lacing with each sip. The aroma is faint zest with a flash of acidity. The taste is a rollercoaster ride. Light, crisp zest hits sweet cherry flesh back to a zingy acid bite. The cherry flashes from tart, to sweet, to subsiding zing. This ale showcases brewer talent. In a world of starbuckesque, flavor shot fruit beers; this one marches to its own accomplished drum. To the man behind Founders; I salute you!

SeanRedd, May 23, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Is this really a beer? Who cares is what I say. It's pretty darn good and definetly something to search out if you want a different experience. It looks like cherry 7-up and smells like a bowl full of cherries. The taste is wine-cooler, but refined, expertly crafted wine cooler. I don't know if I would want more then one, but on a hot day as your first drink for the evening this will do you quite nicely. If you want to rip it because it doesn't really seem like a beer, I suppose I can understand. To me, it was a fun and refreshing experience.

SwiftyMcBeer, May 23, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Bright ruby red in color with large bubbly head that leaves lacing down the glass like sticky sugar. Subtle notes of cherry yogurt, candied sugar, bubble gum, and candied apples in the nose. Forceful flavors coat the tongue: light cherry puree and then sour candied sugar zest breaks through; conquers, burns, pillages the palate and leaves behind a sweet-sour note that sticks around. Light and a bit dull in mouthfeel; a light body strawberry daiquiri. Wise choice to sell in 4 packs, the fruit zest can overwhelm a palate if drank over a long period of time. All in all a very pleasant cherry sensation worth a dive into.

JRed, May 23, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pinkish red with a thin off white head with pinkish hues showing through from below. Some trails of sticky lace remain behind.

S - Fruity cherry, a touch of honey and a sweet maltiness. A bit cherry pie filling like.

T - Cherry sweetness followed by slightly tart cherry, a touch of bready malt and ending with a lingering cherry tartness that bites the tongue.

M - Light and crisp with a lingering dry, tart finish.

D - Slightly like fizzy cherry juice with a bit of tartness but makes for a nice fruity summer refresher.

brewcrew76, May 23, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very decent fruit/vege beer but not in my top 5.
Appearance is good, marchiano cherry red, with some fizziness and zero lacing.
Smell is cherry, but fainter than expected for dumping them in 5 times.
Taste is similar- I get a bit more cherry here but not as rich as expected. Some sweet malt is present as well.
Mouthfeel- light to medium in body with medium carbonation.
Drinkability- a very good summer beer.

supercolter, May 21, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

My first Founders beer!

Poured into a pint glass. Pours redish pink. No head whatsoever. Maybe Minnesota got some old bottles or something, literally no head produced. Slight carbonation, no lacing.

The aroma is very light. There is a bit of cherry and maybe apples. I suppose you could say watermellon too, but that is a stretch. I'm also getting some malt here too.

Taste is pretty much what the aroma leads you to believe. Slightly watered down cherry flavor is pretty much all you get. Not very impressive at all. Sort of reminds me of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss, definitely not a compliment.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. There is some carbonation here, finally. Drinkability is ok, I definitely couldn't drink a lot of these, I feel like I'd get sick.

Overall, a pretty big disappointment. But I wasn't expecting a knockout. It's ok, my view of Founders is not tarnished. I still have 3 new brews to try and hopefully love. This one just didn't do it for me.

Mistofminn, May 19, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

The beer pours a very pretty ruby red grapefruit color with a itty bitty wispy head that laces pretty well but goes away quickly.

The smell is kind of a one note sour cherry, nice, very natural-smelling, but lacking some depth.

The flavor really positively surprised me, you can really tell this is a beer. The fruit takes front and center stage, this sour cherry tartness that balances with some gentle hopping and a wee bit of malt backbone. Delicious.

A nice feel, very light, well hidden alcohol, excellent lingering tartness and flavor. High carbonation carries the beer well. Not sweet or cloying at all.

I could drink this all day long....very nice beer.

grayburn, May 18, 2009

From notes 4-9-09

Eye: This one pours a clear light red in color with hues of orange and yellow in there as well. This one is clear enough to make out the inscription and logo on this Ommegang glass. Looks quite nice in the glass, almost like an amber or red ale. I think if you saw this at a bar you might not be able to tell that its a fruit beer. Head is poor, just a sickly looking algae-like film that covers the top of the beer becoming thicker as it nears the sides of the glass. Color and clarity are great, but the head needs some work.

Edit: Its kinda funny, I've got my hand about an inch behind the glass where ambient light is passing through it....it creates a red circle on my hand...like the head piece to the staff of Ra in Raiders of the Lost Ark...Hahah, as soon as I saw that I instantly though of Raiders. End tangent.

Nose: Sweet cherry aroma is evident, like maraschino cherries, or like the sweet ones you find atop your icecream (not sure if those are marischino or not). Its weird, I've had this beer before, but never detected the following aroma. I'm getting a strong sweet malt aroma, it smells like the mash, very sweet and caramel like...this is, however, in the background. It doesn't smell bready or grainy like the mash just that sweetness, and it melds nicely with the cherry. Also a nice pie crust-like aroma...reminds me of the crust of a strawberry dessert my mom used to make, pretzels and butter cooked and allowed to settle to form the crust. You could just call it diacetyl but with the cherries here it turns it into something quite different, something that fits and helps the beer out. Its not right out front but its there. Its taken me about six of these (not all at onc sitting, or even this sitting) to be able to get all this, I knew that there was more to this beer than what I perceived when I first tasted it. This is quite different from other cherried beers, most others use sour cherries, this one is quite the opposite though and that makes it unique. I'd say they got just what they were going for.

Tongue: Sweet cherry right up front, tastes like you've just eaten that cherry from the top of the banana split. Finish is dry and fairly weak, it leaves me wanting. There may even be some slight metallic tang that comes out in tin the finish. It doesn't really hurt it but it definitely doesn't help it. The diacetyl and sweet maltiness are in here, but they are far behind the cherry character and are hard to divine, very very subtle. They come out briefly in the finish and are then usurped by cherry. Diacetyl character in this beer is actually very nice, in my opinion I think that it adds to it, I won't say helps it, but it gives it depth and a pleasing character that wouldn't be there were it absent. Without it this beer wouldn't be as subtle and complex as it is and would be much less interesting. The more I drink of it the less I get of the aforementioned metallic tang and the stronger the finish becomes, still dry but cherry character lingers. I think what I was perceiving as metallic is actually tannin from the cherry skin.

Feel and Drinkability: Feel is light and finish is dry. Carbonation is actually pretty light, you'd think that for something like this it would be spritzy, yet it is not. Its just right, not spritzy and not so low as to give this one a thick and medicinal cough syrup quality. This one is easy to drink and is quite quaffable, though if quaffed it becomes less interesting and its much more difficult if not impossible to pick up the diacetyl in here that really adds to the beer. This is one that I'd buy again. Not a bad deal at $9.99 a four-pack, hey the abv is 6.5% and its an easy drinker. Great for the summer and spring, fall and winter....no. Not going to lie, this is one of the better fruit beers out there, sure its no Kasteel Rouge and it doesn't stand up to Founders Rubaes, but its still one of the best out there.

becktone, May 17, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +5%

12oz. I'm a big Founders fan, so why not try them all? Poured a rosé pink with hues of orange when held to the light. Rigorous pour yielded a very thin white head. Aromas are obviously fermented cherries, faint yeast and maybe some wheat or dried grass. Tastes are sweet, ripened cherries; slight carbonation produces a nice mouth-feel. Very refreshing and finishes sweet but tart - good balance. Alcohol is unnoticeable. Reminds me of my grandma's cherry pie. For a fruit beer, this is well made and I think Founders got what they were going for here, therefore it is a good representation of the broad and variable style.

barnzy78, May 16, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Beejay for this one.
Pours a pinkish rose color with a 1/4" white head. Not too flat or too rocky.
Smells pretty non-distinct at first. I get a typical blonde ale at first, but then there are some maraschino cherry aromas following suit. There are faint bready overtones that make it like a mild cherry pie. No wild yeasts or anything unusual.
Starts off sweet with lots of cherry and gets more tart in the middle. The finish is bready and then clean with a dash of bittering hops that round it out. Not bad. Nothing ground breaking, but a good "normal" American fruit beer.
Not too sweet or too sticky to keep this from being drinkable.
It's not necessarily a session beer, but I could imagine splitting a pitcher of this at a summer BBQ.
Again, nothing amazing - but no real problems either. A pretty solid American fruit beer.

Domingo, May 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

(Served in a large flute)

A- This beer pours a cranberry red clear body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a thin bubbly wisp of white head.

S- The clean soft fruity cherry note has a light sweet honey note that grows as the beer warms. There is a cherry jam aroma that finishes the sniff as the beer warms.

T- The bright but no tart taste of cherries is just like drinking cherry juice with a slight cherry tart pucker in the finish. This turns to a soft pomegranate like bite in the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a little fizz that keeps the finish crisp.

D- I like cherries and I like beer but this is nothing but cherry juice with some fizz. I'm amazed that they could brew this with out any beer flavor. I would like some malt or hops or yeasty flavors to support the cherry flavor a little bit.

rhoadsrage, May 14, 2009

Thanks for tossing one my way, Devin! Bottled 1st April

A: A resplendent reddish pink with a thin pinkish head with decent retention and fine carbonation.

S: Slightly medicinal cherry character with a brown malt sweetness.

T: A very refreshing combination of cherry sweetness and tartness, this one is all cherries. There's a mild biscuity malt backbone to this, but this really is like a gourmet cherry soda. Awesome

M: Light and crisp with a very clean finish, the tartness mid palate contrasts the dryness on the finish really well. I'm a fan

D: I'm drinking mine in a hurry.

DefenCorps, May 13, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

I was happy to share this beer w/ tenderbranson69, thanks for the chance -served chilled in a double walled tumbler.

A - A beautiful red w/ an orange accent lightly hazed from chill w/ a quickly dissipating faint pink head. Bubbles stream lazily up and the lace appears like confetti on the glass.

S - A sweet juice-like cherry scent. The subtle stone fruit essence is there like the scent of liquid cherry pie.

M - The texture is mild and moderately light in body for the strength w/ a gentle malt feel and acid of cherry w/ med light carbonation. The carbonation carries a mild sweetness to the tip of the tongue

T - A slightly creamy sweet malt flavor is quickly enveloped by a tart yet sweet red cherry taste. The flavor has a sweet dry push/pull w/ a tasty malt echo and hint of spice from hops as it finishes w/ more cherry juice as it leaves the teeth feeling softer. The flavor is very natural and has flavor of soda in places. Very tasty and nice balance of sweet and tart cherry w/ malt.

D - Like drinking natural cherry soda, you forget it is beer. It really is one of the best fruit beers out there since it is so light and refreshing and incorporates the fruit so well.

Slatetank, May 12, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

(From notes)

A - Ruby, light red grapefruit juice color (kinda pink almost), with decent spidery lacing.

S - Light tart-sweentess; pretty yeasty/bready; definite cherries

T - Nice snap of tartness up front; only a little sour; fruity as expected with cherries being the dominant flavor, but in a fresh non-fake way. Not overly sweet was very appreciated.

MF - Thinner MF, subtle prickly carbonation...might've have been better if just slightly more body IMO

D - Just OK for me, nice and refreshing and could visit this one on a muggy evening. However, just a little too much fruit for my palate (yes, I know it's the style).

Overall, this was a nice change of pace brew for me but nothing that I would pick up regularly. Nice brew for the style, and definitely worth a look.

Nickls, May 12, 2009