Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Is this really a beer? Who cares is what I say. It's pretty darn good and definetly something to search out if you want a different experience. It looks like cherry 7-up and smells like a bowl full of cherries. The taste is wine-cooler, but refined, expertly crafted wine cooler. I don't know if I would want more then one, but on a hot day as your first drink for the evening this will do you quite nicely. If you want to rip it because it doesn't really seem like a beer, I suppose I can understand. To me, it was a fun and refreshing experience.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Bright ruby red in color with large bubbly head that leaves lacing down the glass like sticky sugar. Subtle notes of cherry yogurt, candied sugar, bubble gum, and candied apples in the nose. Forceful flavors coat the tongue: light cherry puree and then sour candied sugar zest breaks through; conquers, burns, pillages the palate and leaves behind a sweet-sour note that sticks around. Light and a bit dull in mouthfeel; a light body strawberry daiquiri. Wise choice to sell in 4 packs, the fruit zest can overwhelm a palate if drank over a long period of time. All in all a very pleasant cherry sensation worth a dive into.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pinkish red with a thin off white head with pinkish hues showing through from below. Some trails of sticky lace remain behind.

S - Fruity cherry, a touch of honey and a sweet maltiness. A bit cherry pie filling like.

T - Cherry sweetness followed by slightly tart cherry, a touch of bready malt and ending with a lingering cherry tartness that bites the tongue.

M - Light and crisp with a lingering dry, tart finish.

D - Slightly like fizzy cherry juice with a bit of tartness but makes for a nice fruity summer refresher.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very decent fruit/vege beer but not in my top 5.
Appearance is good, marchiano cherry red, with some fizziness and zero lacing.
Smell is cherry, but fainter than expected for dumping them in 5 times.
Taste is similar- I get a bit more cherry here but not as rich as expected. Some sweet malt is present as well.
Mouthfeel- light to medium in body with medium carbonation.
Drinkability- a very good summer beer.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

My first Founders beer!

Poured into a pint glass. Pours redish pink. No head whatsoever. Maybe Minnesota got some old bottles or something, literally no head produced. Slight carbonation, no lacing.

The aroma is very light. There is a bit of cherry and maybe apples. I suppose you could say watermellon too, but that is a stretch. I'm also getting some malt here too.

Taste is pretty much what the aroma leads you to believe. Slightly watered down cherry flavor is pretty much all you get. Not very impressive at all. Sort of reminds me of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss, definitely not a compliment.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. There is some carbonation here, finally. Drinkability is ok, I definitely couldn't drink a lot of these, I feel like I'd get sick.

Overall, a pretty big disappointment. But I wasn't expecting a knockout. It's ok, my view of Founders is not tarnished. I still have 3 new brews to try and hopefully love. This one just didn't do it for me.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

The beer pours a very pretty ruby red grapefruit color with a itty bitty wispy head that laces pretty well but goes away quickly.

The smell is kind of a one note sour cherry, nice, very natural-smelling, but lacking some depth.

The flavor really positively surprised me, you can really tell this is a beer. The fruit takes front and center stage, this sour cherry tartness that balances with some gentle hopping and a wee bit of malt backbone. Delicious.

A nice feel, very light, well hidden alcohol, excellent lingering tartness and flavor. High carbonation carries the beer well. Not sweet or cloying at all.

I could drink this all day long....very nice beer.

From notes 4-9-09

Eye: This one pours a clear light red in color with hues of orange and yellow in there as well. This one is clear enough to make out the inscription and logo on this Ommegang glass. Looks quite nice in the glass, almost like an amber or red ale. I think if you saw this at a bar you might not be able to tell that its a fruit beer. Head is poor, just a sickly looking algae-like film that covers the top of the beer becoming thicker as it nears the sides of the glass. Color and clarity are great, but the head needs some work.

Edit: Its kinda funny, I've got my hand about an inch behind the glass where ambient light is passing through it....it creates a red circle on my hand...like the head piece to the staff of Ra in Raiders of the Lost Ark...Hahah, as soon as I saw that I instantly though of Raiders. End tangent.

Nose: Sweet cherry aroma is evident, like maraschino cherries, or like the sweet ones you find atop your icecream (not sure if those are marischino or not). Its weird, I've had this beer before, but never detected the following aroma. I'm getting a strong sweet malt aroma, it smells like the mash, very sweet and caramel like...this is, however, in the background. It doesn't smell bready or grainy like the mash just that sweetness, and it melds nicely with the cherry. Also a nice pie crust-like aroma...reminds me of the crust of a strawberry dessert my mom used to make, pretzels and butter cooked and allowed to settle to form the crust. You could just call it diacetyl but with the cherries here it turns it into something quite different, something that fits and helps the beer out. Its not right out front but its there. Its taken me about six of these (not all at onc sitting, or even this sitting) to be able to get all this, I knew that there was more to this beer than what I perceived when I first tasted it. This is quite different from other cherried beers, most others use sour cherries, this one is quite the opposite though and that makes it unique. I'd say they got just what they were going for.

Tongue: Sweet cherry right up front, tastes like you've just eaten that cherry from the top of the banana split. Finish is dry and fairly weak, it leaves me wanting. There may even be some slight metallic tang that comes out in tin the finish. It doesn't really hurt it but it definitely doesn't help it. The diacetyl and sweet maltiness are in here, but they are far behind the cherry character and are hard to divine, very very subtle. They come out briefly in the finish and are then usurped by cherry. Diacetyl character in this beer is actually very nice, in my opinion I think that it adds to it, I won't say helps it, but it gives it depth and a pleasing character that wouldn't be there were it absent. Without it this beer wouldn't be as subtle and complex as it is and would be much less interesting. The more I drink of it the less I get of the aforementioned metallic tang and the stronger the finish becomes, still dry but cherry character lingers. I think what I was perceiving as metallic is actually tannin from the cherry skin.

Feel and Drinkability: Feel is light and finish is dry. Carbonation is actually pretty light, you'd think that for something like this it would be spritzy, yet it is not. Its just right, not spritzy and not so low as to give this one a thick and medicinal cough syrup quality. This one is easy to drink and is quite quaffable, though if quaffed it becomes less interesting and its much more difficult if not impossible to pick up the diacetyl in here that really adds to the beer. This is one that I'd buy again. Not a bad deal at $9.99 a four-pack, hey the abv is 6.5% and its an easy drinker. Great for the summer and spring, fall and winter....no. Not going to lie, this is one of the better fruit beers out there, sure its no Kasteel Rouge and it doesn't stand up to Founders Rubaes, but its still one of the best out there.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

12oz. I'm a big Founders fan, so why not try them all? Poured a rosé pink with hues of orange when held to the light. Rigorous pour yielded a very thin white head. Aromas are obviously fermented cherries, faint yeast and maybe some wheat or dried grass. Tastes are sweet, ripened cherries; slight carbonation produces a nice mouth-feel. Very refreshing and finishes sweet but tart - good balance. Alcohol is unnoticeable. Reminds me of my grandma's cherry pie. For a fruit beer, this is well made and I think Founders got what they were going for here, therefore it is a good representation of the broad and variable style.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Beejay for this one.
Pours a pinkish rose color with a 1/4" white head. Not too flat or too rocky.
Smells pretty non-distinct at first. I get a typical blonde ale at first, but then there are some maraschino cherry aromas following suit. There are faint bready overtones that make it like a mild cherry pie. No wild yeasts or anything unusual.
Starts off sweet with lots of cherry and gets more tart in the middle. The finish is bready and then clean with a dash of bittering hops that round it out. Not bad. Nothing ground breaking, but a good "normal" American fruit beer.
Not too sweet or too sticky to keep this from being drinkable.
It's not necessarily a session beer, but I could imagine splitting a pitcher of this at a summer BBQ.
Again, nothing amazing - but no real problems either. A pretty solid American fruit beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

(Served in a large flute)

A- This beer pours a cranberry red clear body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a thin bubbly wisp of white head.

S- The clean soft fruity cherry note has a light sweet honey note that grows as the beer warms. There is a cherry jam aroma that finishes the sniff as the beer warms.

T- The bright but no tart taste of cherries is just like drinking cherry juice with a slight cherry tart pucker in the finish. This turns to a soft pomegranate like bite in the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a little fizz that keeps the finish crisp.

D- I like cherries and I like beer but this is nothing but cherry juice with some fizz. I'm amazed that they could brew this with out any beer flavor. I would like some malt or hops or yeasty flavors to support the cherry flavor a little bit.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks for tossing one my way, Devin! Bottled 1st April

A: A resplendent reddish pink with a thin pinkish head with decent retention and fine carbonation.

S: Slightly medicinal cherry character with a brown malt sweetness.

T: A very refreshing combination of cherry sweetness and tartness, this one is all cherries. There's a mild biscuity malt backbone to this, but this really is like a gourmet cherry soda. Awesome

M: Light and crisp with a very clean finish, the tartness mid palate contrasts the dryness on the finish really well. I'm a fan

D: I'm drinking mine in a hurry.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

I was happy to share this beer w/ tenderbranson69, thanks for the chance -served chilled in a double walled tumbler.

A - A beautiful red w/ an orange accent lightly hazed from chill w/ a quickly dissipating faint pink head. Bubbles stream lazily up and the lace appears like confetti on the glass.

S - A sweet juice-like cherry scent. The subtle stone fruit essence is there like the scent of liquid cherry pie.

M - The texture is mild and moderately light in body for the strength w/ a gentle malt feel and acid of cherry w/ med light carbonation. The carbonation carries a mild sweetness to the tip of the tongue

T - A slightly creamy sweet malt flavor is quickly enveloped by a tart yet sweet red cherry taste. The flavor has a sweet dry push/pull w/ a tasty malt echo and hint of spice from hops as it finishes w/ more cherry juice as it leaves the teeth feeling softer. The flavor is very natural and has flavor of soda in places. Very tasty and nice balance of sweet and tart cherry w/ malt.

D - Like drinking natural cherry soda, you forget it is beer. It really is one of the best fruit beers out there since it is so light and refreshing and incorporates the fruit so well.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

(From notes)

A - Ruby, light red grapefruit juice color (kinda pink almost), with decent spidery lacing.

S - Light tart-sweentess; pretty yeasty/bready; definite cherries

T - Nice snap of tartness up front; only a little sour; fruity as expected with cherries being the dominant flavor, but in a fresh non-fake way. Not overly sweet was very appreciated.

MF - Thinner MF, subtle prickly carbonation...might've have been better if just slightly more body IMO

D - Just OK for me, nice and refreshing and could visit this one on a muggy evening. However, just a little too much fruit for my palate (yes, I know it's the style).

Overall, this was a nice change of pace brew for me but nothing that I would pick up regularly. Nice brew for the style, and definitely worth a look.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a pommegranette color with a small, light pink head. Smells of lightly tart cranberries. Tastes of light tartness, cherries, kind of like a wine cooler actually. Mouthfeel is light medium, decent carbonation, semi dry finish. Fairly drinkable if your into this type of stuff, it's crisp anyhow. Pretty refreshing.

2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

A- Pours a red color with a pinkish colored head. Right then I knew I was in trouble.

S- A touch of malts and quite a bit of tart cherries.

T- Wow this is a beer. My first thought is that this is some sort of wine cooler. Taste like it smells tart cherries dominant.

M- Light to medium in body and ok carbonation.

D- No thanks I'll pass only the second Founders I didn't like and yes, they were both fruit beers.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

12oz bottle in my Bell's tulip. Appearance is very nice, light strawberry red with small white head. Not much aroma. Taste is tart cherries with a dry finish. If it had any earthiness, it would be like your run of the mill kriek. Mouthfeel is very light, maybe almost too thin.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

This is wrong on so many levels. To be fair, Founders Cerise should be reviewed for Wine Cooler Advocate; however here we are. It pours a pale red (I can't write "pi**") with some fizz on top, but not anything I'd call a head.

The smell, taste, and after-taste (!) are like cheap cherry wine. The feel is sparkly and refreshing. There is no denying that it's drinkable, it just should not be allowed to call itself "ale."

I can imagine a group of 21 year olds drinking Founders Cerise at a pool party, along with umbrella drinks; however, after finishing one today, I feel like I need to follow it with a beer (and possibly a shot of testosterone).

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle: Poured a bright pink color ale with a large pink bubbly head with minimal retention and some lacing. Aroma of medium sour cherries with some discernable malt. Taste is also dominated by sour cherries though malt bill is present but somewhat neutral. Body is quite full with good carbonation. Well done with good balanced and not cloying in any way.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Brown twist top bottle with no best by date.
15 IBU's and 6.5% alc. by vol. Malt beverage brewed with cherry puree.

A: Light red, slightly cloudy with light pink head and minimal lacing.

S: Mild dark cherry/bing cherry scent. Not much of anything else.

T&M: Light body with medium to heavy carbonation. Tastes like cherries.... what a surprise. Very good flavor. Not too overpowering with a slightly dry aftertaste. Mild tangy and medicinal flavor, but overall better than average.

I probably still prefer a good batch of Sam's cherry wheat to this, especially for the price. Founder's is a high quality brew though, and this is a very good ale.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

It certainly looks good. Pinkish foam over a ruby body with orange highlights. It's hazy but it's obviously intended to be. Small particles of yeast can be seen floating within. Unfortunately, the head retention is a bit limited and it dwindles shortly to a thin collar and whispy surface covering.

The nose is fruit-pulp-like with a hint of watermelon rind, strawberry, cherry, and subtle tartness.

The flavor is sweet and tart, bursting with berry and cherry flavor. Intense! It's almost like a Jolly Racher, there's just too much flavor there! I should note however, that unlike candy, there's absolutely nothing artificial about the fruitiness here. Kudos for that!

Overall, it's loaded with cherry, just the right amount of tartness, and it's somewhat spritzy, light, and refreshing. Nicely done! One of the better straightforward fruit beers I've tasted!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Reddish pink colored beer with a rapidly fading head,Aroma is sour fruit.Taste is cherry and sugar cane.This reminds me of a Tastycake cherry pie.This is something a little different than yout normal beer,but in a good way.I enjoyed it and believe that it should be tried at least once.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Rosy orange color. Nearly clear. Moderate head but it leaves some spotty lace.

Sour strawberry. Smells a bit like a milkshake. Strong sweetness, raw sugar?

Sour cherry pie without the chew. Definitely a dessert beer; would go well with cheese. Good body with light carbonation. Sour-sweet aftertaste that is lip-smackingly long.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottled on 03/16/09:

Pours dark pink with pink head that thins. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of cherry, in a cough syrup way, with a musty touch.

Cherry stronger in taste than in aroma. Cherry-pie cherry - I've had ales reminiscent of cherry pie - this is cherry pie cherry. Slight breadiness with a touch of maltiness. Sweet with a touch of tart. Some "Fruit Roll-up" sweetness is there. Sweet finish.

Light-bodied with sticky cherry juice lingering in the aftertaste.

A pretty pricey fruit beer. Not that refreshing either. If I wanted a cherry flavour, I would take a lambic over this, easy. On the other hand, it does have more to it/more tartness than a typical American fruit beer. It's a sweet cherry-pie cherry in a beer (with a hint of breadiness so it's almost like drinking a cherry pie. No problems drinking one for the experience. Don't know that I could keep drinking it though (or would particularly want to have again).

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

On-tap at The Drafting Room Exton.

Poured a clear ruby red with 1 finger of white head with some pinkish edges into a goblet. Good retention and some spotty lacing. Smells of sweet cherry syrup like in a pie, along with some brown sugar and grain. Tastes of tart cherries and cherry syrup followed by some honey, brown sugar, and doughy bread notes. A slight earthy hop finish as well. Medium in body with some prickly carbonation. Sweet with a touch of tartness, like a liquid cherry pie. Very easy to drink, definitely could see myself enjoying many of these while lounging by the poolside in the summer.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

pour is pinkish red with a pink/white head. somewhat clear. the head smells doughy to my surprise. mild cherry tart and stale chamomile tea with honey. the taste is a mild sweet with a, not a flemish red, tart. not to complex. this beer was rather herbal though and actually somewhat easy to drink. good body. a lot better than i expected. good with shrimp.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company