Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
phisig137

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

A- Pours a hazy dark pink color, with virtually no head. No lacing, minimal foam cap.

S- Little to speak of... a hint of sour cherry, and wisps of dry malt husk. A little bit of christmas spices work their way in the back as well, but only just barely.

F- I will say without a doubt, that this improves as it warms. Sour cherry is the dominant flavor, but doesn't quite taste natural. Cherry flavor is very generic, sourness feels fake... acidulated malt or citric acid perhaps? There is still that ethereal sense of christmas spice that may or may not be there. Medicinal finish.

M- Thin, heavily carbonated, yet smooth.

D- decent at best...

Overall, a huge disappointment from Founders. They are MUCH better than this. Granted, fruit beers are very difficult to do well, especially cherry, but this just doesn't make the mark. I wouldn't buy it again....

04-30-2009 23:39:48 | More by phisig137
mikereaser

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

A - pours an amber pinkish red with no foam to speak of

S - slight hints of cherry and some light malt

T - strong sour cherry flavor that gets you in the back of your jaw

M/D - nice carbonation, the mouthfeel is a little weird to me, i like the sour cherries but its almost too fruity. Its like drinking a wine cooler

04-30-2009 18:34:51 | More by mikereaser
tigg924

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: high carbonation, medium head that fades away, clear fruit punch red

Smell: sour cherry

Taste: sour cherries dominate--some malt

Mouthfeel: very smooth, I can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A slightly sweet and sugary aftertaste that is borderline syrupy.

Drinkability: This is an above average fruit beer but nothing I feel is spectacular. I feel Rubeaus is a better drink. I will have this again and could have two in a sitting but will not actively search for it.

04-28-2009 14:17:05 | More by tigg924
Blakaeris

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours hazy red-orange with a slight head that dissipates quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is lightly sweet with a strong cherry character.

Taste is completely cherry, with a massively tart finish that I was not initially prepared for. Flavorful for what it is, but lacks any malt or hops to give it a definite 'beer' quality. There does remain a subdued yeast funkiness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mild syrupy quality.

Flavorful, but doesn't taste like beer at all. More like a very well made wine cooler. Worth a try to satisfy my curiosity, but I probably wouldn't get it again.

04-27-2009 23:11:17 | More by Blakaeris
Brent

Kentucky

The cherry flavor is well managed. Too often in cherry-flavored beers you get something more like a Jolly Rancher or cough drop, but here the cherry is very mild, almost more of a background flavor. Not too sweet, with a some tartness to balance. Finish was a little dry, with cherry pit bitterness.

04-27-2009 13:40:50 | More by Brent
avalon07

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dull red color and a cloudy consistency. There was no head to speak of, but some OK lacing.

S: The cherries and malt dominated the taste.

T: Surprisingly, the cherries weren't as overwhelming as I would've thought. Had an almost sour quality to it. Somewhat malty. Not as well defined as others of the style.

M: Highly carbonated beer with a slightly slick finish. Light-bodied.

D: I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but I figured I'd give this one a shot if Founders made it. It's not bad, and definitely drinkable, but didn't wow me.

04-27-2009 12:57:08 | More by avalon07
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours out a hazy. reddish-orange color. The head is very thin and loose, but the carbonation is very vibrant, bubbles fly all through the beer and cling to the side of the glass. The smell has a very deep bready sweetness. The cherries are faint, somewhat medicinal, but the fresh grain, barley, maybe wheat are very strong. I kind of hoped there would be some tartness, but I don't sense it in the smell. The taste delivers though, I'd say. Really is quite like cherry juice, some tartness, then a very nice pleasant maltiness, bready, sweet, but not cloying. The cherry taste is not like cough syrup, like I expected, but instead just delivers on the cherry. Reminds me of those tart cherries, not the dark sweet ones, but the yellowish-orange ones. I'm really liking it. The mouthfeel kind of clings with its sweetness, and it sort of reminds me of cola. The carbonation is spot on. At points it gets kind of thin. You kind of expect a fruit beer to be tart (at least I do, like the dry sour kind of beers). But this one really works, with brilliant fruit flavor without being either too sweet or too dry. It drinks very quickly, and the 6.5% won't hit you too quickly if you just have one. Though I could imagine drinking a few more if I had them. I would recommend it.

04-27-2009 01:08:37 | More by taylorhamrick
scifan

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours kind of an amber color with a definite pinkish hue. A small light pink head forms but fades quickly into a small ring around the glass.
Getting mostly sweet bready malt aromas, the cherries don't come through as strongly as expected. Also some earthy yeasty aromas in there as well.
Taste is tart and sour cherries. Kind of reminds me of a kriek without all the funkiness. However there are some noticeable yeast flavors as well. Very crisp and refreshing.
Very lively, well carbonated feels almost like a soda in your mouth.
Very interesting and different beer but I couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

04-26-2009 03:13:23 | More by scifan
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Bottle into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours watermelon pink, crystal clear, very thin pink-white head despite the aggressive pour. Almost clear at the edges, which is odd - I've seen my share of Kriek, Framboise, and cherry/rasberry fruit beer pours, and this one seems to lack the depth of color most of them have.

Nose is sweet, smells like an apple cherry turnover. Seriously. Straight from MacDonalds.

Taste is quite sweet. Almost soda-like. Cherry shows up loud and clear, though I get a lot of apple-juice like sweetness as well. Biscuity malt note is hinted at towards the finish. My grandmother in law makes homemade apple and strawberry wine, and this kind of reminds me of that. It's not bad, doesn't taste artificial, etc., but to me this tastes more like a sparkling apple-cherry juice than anything I would call beer. It just doesn't really distinguish itself from the fruit sweetness in a way that, say, the New Glarus fruit beers do. They taste like fruit beers. This tastes like fruit soda. Still, not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light, light carbonation, a bit syrupy.

Drinkability is ok; would be able to drink more if I didn't feel like I was getting a sugar high.

04-26-2009 00:51:00 | More by JohnQVegas
tempest

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

Had a pint at Pearly Baker's in Easton, PA. This beer was a disappointment. It came out a clear cherry red with no head. The aroma and flavor are basically of cherry juice while there's also a vaguely nutty malt flavor in the background of the taste. Juicy but flat and not satisfying as a beer.

04-25-2009 13:33:40 | More by tempest
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

What's amazing is this isn't a lambic, tart cherries carry the flavor. Appearance is like ruby red grapefruit juice with a light pink tinted head, fine bubbly carbonation forms evenly with lacing down the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up tart cherries more so the peels bringing alcohol and sweetness together along with the smell of evident grain infused within potent tart cherries. Flavor is excellent it lands some where between a sour ale and some cherry flavor jam. Reluctantly sweet and sour is thrown my way, but in the mix I find cherry peels carrying some booziness and some light cereal grains blending so well with the juices of mother nature. What an excellent blend touch of vinegar like acidity in the lightest vinegarette imaginable. Sweet syrupy layers of cherry sweetness quickly fade to dry tartness excellent creation very interesting like cherry cider. Great stuff I remember Rubaeus, right up there with that fruit ale. Founders doesn't offend I detect real fruit with a balanced profile mouthfeel is light at times with a reduced simple syrup border at times. Carbonation is perfect that's where everything carries out so well, quite the experience here. Girls will dig it and beergeeks will try and figure out how they did it. Drinkability is nice I don't get tired of the tartness or the cherry sweetness a great yin and yang offered up in a glass this one is good for your chee.

04-24-2009 22:33:15 | More by WVbeergeek
BarrelO

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Light red, almost pink. Not much of a head, which is pretty common among the Founders beers I've had.

S: Sweet bready malt with a generous hint of cherry tartness.

T: All about tart cherries, but more in essence than in flavor. Almost like a red ale in its sourness. Amazingly refreshing.

M: Light and fizzy, kind of like cherry soda.

D: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's been my experience that as far as beer goes, cherry flavors don't play well with others. They either dominate completely or leave an unpleasant sour sensation that clashes with the main body of the beer. This one, however, has just enough cherry essence to be distinctive without it completely taking over. In all, an excellent summer beer. If you like Duchesse de Bourgogne or Rodenbach Grand Cru, this'll be right up your alley.

04-24-2009 02:18:14 | More by BarrelO
webmanspidey

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

This one is a pale pink fizzy color, looking similar to Faygo red pop. Smell is sweet malt and cherry, but neither are particularly overwhelming. Flavor is sour and tart cherries, much more sour than I was expecting. Not much of a hop profile here. Pretty light and easy drinker.

Best way to describe this is tart and sour. Good if you like cherries.

04-24-2009 00:58:40 | More by webmanspidey
bashiba

Iowa

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured a bright blush color with just a hint of white head, looks like strawberry soda with less carbonation.

The smell was very light and a bit tart with a touch of yeast.

The flavor is dominated by the cherries, slightly sweet and a bit tart. There are some faint hints of some malt and a bit of yeast, but pretty much all cherry.

The mouthfeel is a bit sticky and syrupy.

Its ok for a fruit beer, at least they went all in with the cherries instead of the slight hint that is so typical of most fruit beers, and it doesn't have that fake extract taste to it. Not bad if you want a cherry beverage.

04-23-2009 20:42:08 | More by bashiba
JoeMayo

A- Pours a bright pink/red color with amber/orange hues when held to the light. A small head forms, but reduces to a sticky ring around the edge of the glass.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a very strong honey aroma, followed by a bready smell, reminiscent of a yeasty sweet-roll. The cherry is much more subtle than I was expecting, but definately present.

T- The cherry is far more present in the flavor. Sweet cherry pie filling, but slightly tart as well. I taste a little honey as well, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma.

M- Light, crisp, pleasantly effervescent and slightly sticky. It feels more like a cherry soda than a beer, but not necessarily in a bad way.

D- Goes down easy. Sweet, but not too sweet and just a hint of tartness to balance it out.

04-23-2009 14:46:43 | More by JoeMayo
Yetiman420

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz bottle fresh bottle in a Unibroue tulip glass.

Pours a light pink with a one finger pink head.

The first thing that comes to mind is I would not want to be drinking this in a clear glass at some of the rural establishments I'm forced to frequent with my extended family. Defending my honor would most likely be a physical proposition.

The second thing that comes to mind is, this is different and different is good.

I'll make a painful comparison to the appearance of a wine cooler.

The aroma is just not right. It's musty and lacks identity. It has a canned fruit essence to it, but I can't pick up what kind of fruit.

First couple of sips and I get a strong cherry pie filling flavor. I eat a lot of fresh cherries in the summer so I don't automatically associate cherries with pie filling.

Not overly sweet but it does have a tart tang finish.

A unique beer that I appreciate as well done, just not to my tastes.

04-23-2009 01:45:44 | More by Yetiman420
NCSUdo

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle

A: Deep, hazy pink under nearly no head to speak of. Some lace, no retention.

S: Mostly a faint malt and tart cherry. Nothing too great.

T: Malty with a decent tart, sour cherry mixed in. A bit grapefruit like at times. Again, nothing too great.

M/D: Light bodied, prickly carbonation but seems appropriate. OK drinkability. A good bit of cherry, but the taste is just too off make this a very drinkable beer.

04-23-2009 01:19:56 | More by NCSUdo
marcpal

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

Got a pack of this because I saw it on the shelves at Wegman's and was something new. I was more than disappointed by Rubeaus and was hoping this would make up for it. Wrong.

12oz bottle poured into Delirium Tremens bubble glass last night.
Bottle Graphics: 2/10.

A: Pinkish light red color with a thin head that lasted pretty long. Carbonation was distant.

S: The smell was not horrible, slightly tart but something unique. The good ended here though. It smelled of true fruit but that did not carry over in the taste. While not a fan of fruit beers, I would rate it high if it was a good version but didn't get it.

T: I just found no real pleasure in the taste of this. It was borderline hard to drink and is up there on the list with Bells Cherry stout. Got some more to share with somebody, I'm positive someone will like this. Being generous, it has a cherry maraschino syrup flavor that is not like real fruit though in any way.

M: I would've expected this to be a bubbly mess but was the opposite, a milky flat mess.

D: Founders is a great brewery, this is not a great beer. This is not a good beer, this was flat out hard to drink.

04-22-2009 18:56:14 | More by marcpal
ltjska04

Kentucky

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Coming out of the bottle this ale is pink, but then once in my glass it is the reddest beer I've ever had. There's not much head at all and it smells a bit sour and very reminiscent of Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic.

Please don't let this be as bad as Cranberry Lambic.

Good news... it's not! It actually tastes somewhat like real fruit. I'm detecting some sour cherries, sort of like a frozen cherry pie filling. That's the dominating flavor and after that I'm not getting much else. The beer coats the mouth with sweetness and goes down smooth and easy. I usually don't like fruit beers and this doesn't really change my opinion, but it's one of the best I've had so far. It actually has some real fruit flavor instead of having some fake syrupy taste. I could see myself drinking this again some day.

04-22-2009 02:52:45 | More by ltjska04
ClockworkOrange

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce stubby bottle purchased at Abe's in Bethlehem for $3. Bottled on 3/16/09. Poured into my shaker glass and appears a hazed color akin to blush wine with about a finger of light pink foam. The head fades to a thin layer within a few minutes leaving a slight lace on the inside of my glass. Smells and tastes of bread, cherry pie filling, tart cherries, cherry pie, crust and all. Medium bodied with a notch below medium in carbonation. I could see myself going through a 4-pack or two of this while it's around.

04-22-2009 02:16:42 | More by ClockworkOrange
johnd513

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer pours a deep rose color with a thin offwhite head. Smells of tart cherries. Simple, but right on for a fruit beer. The taste is cherries and that's it really. The mouthfeel has a light body with lots of carbonation. Drinkability is surprisingly really good. I opened this one (the first one in the 4-pack) after a long day and was worried that a fruit beer like this might not satisfy my fix. I am not usually a fan of fruit beers but this one is top notch. Simple, to the point, does not pretend to be anything its not. This may be my favorite fruit beer to date.

04-22-2009 01:32:23 | More by johnd513
atsprings

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle into a Founders pint glass a surprisingly rose tinted brew with a thin off-white head that lasts and leaves spotty lacing. Aroma was loads of cherries and slight sweet malts. The taste was a very tart abundance of cherries, almost like Three Philosopher's light. Not quite as tart as some Flemish reds I've had, but close. The beer is medium bodied with slight alcohol presence and a bit of carbonation. This is certainly one of the more interesting beers I've had from Founders, a bit of a change of pace for them, but still enjoyable.

04-22-2009 01:17:57 | More by atsprings
paco1029384756

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a nice deep red color with a small pink head.

Scent of cherries and yeast, very simple scent. Nothing to write home about, but pretty good for a fruit beer.

Taste of cherries, cherry syrup, and yeast. Doesn't taste overly artificial, which I like, but I couldn't have too many of these.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth with a bit of carbonation.

04-21-2009 22:35:38 | More by paco1029384756
alexgash

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz. bottle.

Dazzling copper rose with a slight haze. Small, lacy, eggshell-white head. Nose shows off tart cherries, cherry syrup, fruit punch, light graininess, and a hint of floral hops. Mildly tart cherries start off the palate. Reminds me of cherry pie. Toasted grains and pie crust malt follow, before the sweetness comes in. Fruit punch and cherry sweetness swells, pushing any tartness aside. Finish brings in some cherry pits, and faint bitterness. Lingering tartish cherries. Medium-bodied, with a creamy feel. Not a bad cherry ale, in the vain of New Glarus's Belgian Red. This one is not quite as good, but is decent. I would prefer a little more tartness and a little less sweetness, but that's just me.

04-21-2009 22:18:49 | More by alexgash
tjwarren

1.43/5  rDev -60.6%

My wife bought this for me because she said the bottle was pretty. Poured into a chalice and she loved the color. It is quite different.

The smell seemed sour to me and less fruity than it looked. I was not expecting good things from the smell.

I am a big Founders fan as most of you are but this was awful. It tasted like the juice from a jar of marachino cherries that had gone bad. I am so glad my wife only bought me one. It was disgusting and horrible. Would have been a drain pour but it was a $3.00 bottle and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

This was so flat that I could detect no mouthfeel at all. Water has more.

Drinkability is only for the brave. If you can finish one you need a medal pinned on your chest.

Buy anything else from Founders but stay far away from this one. I say this as one of the great lovers of Ephemere and other fruit/vegetable beers. This is not a beer, it is a poison...

04-21-2009 03:42:46 | More by tjwarren