Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Reviews: 604 | Hads: 1,495
4.45/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first beer review! I have wanted to do this for a while and I wanted to review one of my favorites for my first review. My wife found a Founder's Cerise deep in the refrigerator that I didn't realize I had. As most of you already know, Founder's did not brew Cerise as a seasonal in 2013 due to the poor Michigan cherry crop in 2012. I hope they bring it back next year.

Appearance - cloudy ruby red. Very little head was produced from the pour and it slowly faded away in about 3 to 5 minutes. Man, I want to drink this beer on appearance alone!

Smell - what else? Nothing but cherries. I barely pick up some bread notes but only because I desperately try to detect anything but the cherries.

Taste - cherry dominates as is expected. I get all sweet cherry on the entry with only minimal sour cherry aftertaste. I couldn't taste that bread note that I smelled.

Mouthfeel - very light and smooth drinker. The sour cherry aftertaste left a tart dryness in my mouth. The dryness make me want that next drink even more.

Very very easy to drink. I could knock down several Founder's Cerise and not think twice about it. It is one of my most refreshing beers to drink during the summer. I can't wait for Founder's to make Cerise once again.

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

poured from 12oz bottle into Fullers goblet. Given to me by a friend who didn't care for the style. bottled on 6/6/12.

poured aggressively, nice head initially which dissipated to ring of foam. nice medium claret coloring. Clear

Smell was faintly cherry, no too strong at all.

Taste was initially tart, but finished on the sweet side. Goes down well in the warm weather.

Mouthful was fruity, medium. not cloying at all.

Overall, a nice beer on a hot day. Would wonder how it would taste fresh, but pleasant after a year in the bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass produces a dark reddish brown and cloudy liquid with a well sustained, faintly pink, creamy looking head that subsides very slowly while leaving some very nice lacing.
Smell is faint with notes of malt, cherry cough syrup and floral, maybe gardenia.
Taste is a weird mix of the floral and cherry syrup with the malt very faint, not a main participant.
Medium bodied at best with a tingly effervescence, much like a lambic which is my best guess as to what they were aiming for. I like lambics, but I'm glad I only have two of these to drink. The overly artificial flavor/nose is depressing. Being from Michigan myself and aware of the heritage of cherry growing in the state, I really wanted to like this a lot but I can't honestly say I do. Finally a Founders beer I don't want more of.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

For a Fruit Beer, this is good. At the end of the day, it is still a fruit beer. It has a red hue to it and it tastes like cherries. If you want a beer, look for something else. If you love cherries, then you will love this. I'd definitely get it again, but I would have to be in the right mood (and also I would have to make sure that none of my friends would see me drinking it).

4.51/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company is a great beer. The appearance is both red and murky. The aroma or flavor of the beer has strong notes of cherry which is obvious when looking at the name. The mouthfeel was very light and refreshing. The taste was light, bubbly fruity and sweet. I would strongly recommend this beer to non-beer drinkers as a great place to start.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours ruby red with minimal head, dissipates very quickly to a webbed cap and small but sticky lacing.

S - Dark cherries and bread take up the majority of the nose, possible spice in the background.

T - Flavor matches the scent well. Dark cherries with a hint of sweetness gives way to the slight tartness you would expect from real cherries. Light breadiness throughout.

M - Light body that goes well but too much carbonation in my opinion.

O - Overall not a bad beer, but a bit too much like a cherry soda. Needs less carbonation and the sourness is a little overpowering in the end. Not on the top of the list for fruit beers.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, alongside a few other Founders brews. )First brew back after a bit of a stomach bug, so I wanted something easy drinking to wean me back in!)

Poured into a Founders glass. Bright cherry red, a half inch of head that recedes into a fluffy ring.

Nose is tart cherries, a bit of bready malt and citrus.

Tastes like sweet cherry juice and not much else. I'm really not getting the tartness of the cherries that others are getting. I know it's not supposed to be a kriek, but man this could have used some sour, muskiness to balance the sweet cherries. It's tasty, went down way to fast, but offered no resistance.

Tasty, but not something I'd get again. There's other cherry brews out there that offer more of a diverse palate than this one. Though to their credit, I don't think I've drank a faster 6.5% bottle of beer before.

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Violently poured into a tulip.

This beer looks like dessert. A nice red tint to the foamy head.

It smells of wet lumber to me but in the best way possible, like walking outside after a rain to go back to splitting logs.

The taste is a pleasant tart and a dry finish like a Malbec. As it warms up I have a hard time not downing it in large gulps.

Overall I like this beer a lot.I wish I had more.

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the brewery, 12oz into a tulip. Dated June 6, 2012.

Deep pinkish red, transient white head with a ring of retention, no lacing. Nose has cherry/raspberry, light cracker and some yeast character. Taste has some sweeter cherry pie, raspberry and general berry notes. Some grainy notes, and a touch of bitterness. Medium body, and good carbonation. A passable fruit beer, but not something I'd actively search for.

3.16/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a dark ruby red in color with fucia highlights and a thin bubbly pink head that barely left any lacing sticking to the glass. Big on the grains upfront on the nose with hints of cherry fruit, slight citrus and a little malty sweetness presence. Like the nose suggested it was filled with a variety of grains in the flavor alongside muted cherry fruit character, malty sweetness, hints of citrus and a touch of juice. The brew was light in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, grainy, slightly fruity and thin crisp finish. Just a decent fruit beer and nothing more.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Date is smudged, but appears to be 05/10/2012. 12 oz bottle into a Founders 15th anny glass.

A - Pours a hazy dark red body that almost borders on purple. Looks like a fruit soda. A small messy cap of light tan foam dissipated quickly. Thin lacing with moderate lacing and retention.

S - Strong cherries. Yaaaa...I don't know. That is it really. Its tart and smells natural, but that is all there is to the aroma.

T - Tart cherries with a sweet and syrupy finish. Again, very natural tasting. It does capture some of that spiciness that a real cherry has, almost cinnamon like but very subtle.

M - Medium bodied, almost syrup like but a moderate level of carbonation cuts through.

O - I won't miss this beer. Its a step up over the faux-fruit lambics, but at the end of the day its just a solid cherry ladened beverage. Bring on the Rubaeus!

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Type: 12 oz bottle
Glass: Snifter
From: Founders
Price: $10 for a mixed 4-pack (I got Cerise and RIS)

Appearance: clear pinkish read color. almost no foam whatsoever. pretty nice looking cherry beer

Smell: Cherries a bit sour, but nothing else to apparent.

Taste: Cherries, slightly sour cherries. some wheat that mixes with cherries in a bad way. almost tastes like blood for a second

Mouthfeel: Light in body and pretty pleasant body.

Overall: Not overly impressed but it was worth a try. but probably the best cherry beer i have had.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a wellington glass. Bottled 05/24/2012, poured 01/11/2013

Appearance: The color is unique right off the bat, a really light red amber (or dark pink) color that is very transparent. Very few bubbles on the body with a subtle head that is a white-pink color maybe 1/4".

Smell: Has a strong fruit scent, disapears quick through. Smells strong of cherries and

Taste: Holy cherries, It's defintely a sweet beer but definitely not like soda more like a champagne. Light bitterness to it with a strong feeling of fruit

Mouth: Like some champagnes comes off a touch dry. Medium body, after taste is a light light sour.

Overall: Definitely exceeded my expectations, I don't normally lean towards fruit beers sometimes because I think it takes the "manliness" away. This brew is feels like a belgian ale with the wrong label. Would I buy it again, of course though now that i found out that it's retired, would be a little harder. Salud!

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured Cerise into snifter. Served chilled.

A - Somewhat cloudy light red with small pinkish head.

S - Tart cherries.

T - Tart cherries. Refreshing and tasty.

M - Decent body, yet good carbonation for a fruity summer ale. Refreshing- not cloying at all.

O - Nice change from my usual dark ales. Not Blushing Monk quality, but a good beer. Similar, but better that a 'cooler.' Nothing bad to say. Worth a try for this style of beer.

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle I grabbed in a mixed six at Nikki's Liquors.

Appearance - Poured a rosy or garnet red body with a frothy white head that left some pretty light lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - A faint fruity or floral aroma. Nothing spectacular but not awful.

Taste - Hints of sweet malt overpowered by tart cherries; the sourness is off putting to me but might be appreciated by someone who enjoys wine.

Mouthfeel - It drinks almost like a lambic or a goze, but the body is very thin.

Overall not a horrible example of the style, and definitely one that would appeal to those who enjoy fruit / vegetable beers or lambics. I think I had higher expectations for this one simply because everything else I have ever had from this brewery has been so phenomenal, but this one is definitely still worth a try.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured into a wine glass
A - Pink and hazy, translucent
S - Tart, definitely can taste the cherry but has some sourness to it
T - Heavy on the cherries throughout, biscuity malt comes through on the finish and with the aftertaste
M - Crisp, not flat, not too much, just right
O - Not the most fruity, sour, or malty beer on the planet, but for the style it is above average. Get it while you can!

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

A: Murky brownish red with small pink white head.

S: Syrupy cherry juice, slightly earthy.

T: Sweet pie cherries and some leafy bitterness. A bit tart.

M: Very light, high carbonation.

O: For syrupy cherry beers, New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red is better.

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance is a reddish amber color; the smaller-than-average head is a light red color. The scent is weak malts, with not much discernible cherry. The cherry really comes through in the taste. It tastes almost like a cherry soda, but some light malts flavors are present. Slightly sweet, but not overly so like other fruit beers. Mouthfeel is on the thin side. Not bad at all, but not great either.

3.34/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, light red-brown color with a fine peripheral ring of medium-sized off-white bubbles. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Mild fruit is dark and earthy. Cherry is deliberate but very honest--it smells like fresh fruit.

T: Begins off-dry, with dark fruit followed by metallic iron. Acidity is mute into the middle with more fruit that changes from something identifiably cherry to more generic-mixed. The finish sees fruit flavors retreat, leaving just an earthy metallic residue on the palate.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: While this beer presents some authentic evidence of fruit that makes it worthy of consumption, it also has some detracting features. Flavors are a mixed bag of appealing and otherwise, coming across as just a little too dark and metallic. Thus, overall appeal is constrained.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish brown color, with a thin pink head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains cherries, light caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a sweet burst of cherry flavor. Then a thin malt character comes in along with a mild hops presence to create a decent balance. I was expecting it to be a bit more tart but the cherry flavor isn’t overdone. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it’s a decent beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for a cherry-flavored beer that has some substance to it.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Pours a finger of pink head, body is a lightly hazed red, with red/amber hilights, and I'm getting some nice webbed lacing in my glass.

Smell - Wheat, sweet malt, wheat, ripe fruits, cherry

Taste - Whoah - CHERRIES! Begins with full flavored cherries with natural cherry sweetness, also some nice cherryskin tartness, I also get alot of wheat, but this becomes more prominent halfway through the sip. Longer into the finish i get some nice cherry pit bitterness and floral hops, with sweet cherry juice pockets in the mouth corners.

Mouthfeel - About medium, nice prominent flavors but not syrupy or mouthcoating, carb is medium and creamy smooth, with a few nice edges at the sides of the tongue. A very drinkable ale.

Overall - I'll tell you what - I Really Like This! There truly is a greaqt complexity and balance here - and the cherry truly tastes natural imho, not flavored or like candy at all. I eat cherries fairly often and that's what I traste - natural cherry. I get natural sweetness, and I also get that mouth-watering tartness that cherries have. I also get wheat beer characteristics, and just enough floral hop to really add an unexpected balance and depth. I think this is heads and shoulders above any wine cooler or flavored malt beverage - it'a cherry fermented ale, just like it says on the label. If you like cherries, I think you're going to LOVE this, and I like cherries ;o)

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottled served in a weizen glass

A - clear rose with 2,finger gorgeous white bubbly head with good retention and excellent sticky lacing

S - candied cherries, cherry pie, um yeah cheeries

T - sweet semi tart fresh cherry flavor with hints of oak wood an nice wheat background. Very refreshing. No booze. Light flavor overall

M - light body, mod-high carbonation, crisp

O - a nice light cherry beer, white a good touch of wheat. Doesn't touch the greatness of a new glarus fruit beer, but I would drink this one in the summer after cutting the lawn.

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Gordon Biersch 0.4l glass (13.53oz).

Appearance- Beautiful clear red with zero head. This is a very pretty looking beer.

Smell- Honestly, I do not care for the smell that much. Some fake cherry smell. Cherry candy like a lollipop.

Taste- This is where the beer comes through. Very nice cherry flavor. Some apple. Not very beer-like though. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, lightly carbonated. Very light. Doesn't coat the palate.

Overall- This is a nice, refreshing beer from Founders, whom I think make great beers. Totally a summer beer, but I'm still enjoying it in November.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Cloudy pink color. Head is vague and white, not much lacing, if any.

Tons of sweet cherries, but in a lighter fashion. Not sugary or overly sweet. Smell is slightly tart.

No tartness :( Not sweet. Very smooth cherry, but nothing exciting or fancy.

Great carbonation, not overly cherry or over tired.

An intriguing brew, but not well thought out. It's too light with no defining characteristics. It's relaxed and enjoyable, but not heavy or expansive. Not too recommended if your a lover of more tart fruit brews.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A-clear red and amber coloration with a smallish white head and little lacing

S-malt, sweet cherries, hints of herbal aromas

T-bready malt with sweet cherry flavor with some tartness, light herbal character

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, slight acidity

O-not bad with some solid cherry flavor, but overall I guess I'm just not a big fan of cherry beers

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company