Founders Cerise - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: philbe311 on 04-03-2009)
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Draft sample at MBGF Winterfest 2009.

Poured a hazy reddish brown color with a moderate frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate tart cherry and spice aroma. Medium body with a sticky texture and soft carbonation. Medium sweet flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

Solid drinkable fruit brew.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful pink champagne color with lots of bubbles and frothy white head that settles fairly quickly, leaving spritzy off-white / pink lacing on the glass.

Smell: Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and both sweet and tart cherries. It's heavier on the spice than I thought it would be, which I do like. Like a spicy cherry pie.

Taste: Initial hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and graham cracker, backed by lip-smacking tart and sweet cherries, almost simultaneously, and some interesting herbal earthiness. Finish isn't too long, and could maybe use some more malt backbone to keep the flavors rolling, but I love the lip-smacking nature of it, along with a brew using real fruit, fruit that's not just a compliment, but a huge part of the brew.

Mouthfeel: Thinner with prickly carbonation, as I expected, since this is more of a fruit beer than something like a stout. Good overall, though, as long as you're not expecting to be a chewy beer.

Drinkability: All around solid for me. This one's heavily infused with real cherries, and you can tell, so if that's not your thing, you may want to avoid. I don't know how many I could do in a sitting, as one seems just about right after sipping it out of a tulip, but I like it a lot, and it'd be a good dessert beer after dinner if you don't want all those pie calories.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 5/2/09.

A - Ruby-tinted amber with a pinkish hue and about a finger of bubbly white head that quickly dispersed into a patchy retention and left spotty lace around the glass.

S - Opens with an obvious sweet and tart cherry presence akin to candy or pie filling. Actually, the aroma pretty much consists of a balanced sweet and tart cherry character. Mission accomplished, Founders!

T - Tart cherry pie filling with a sweet and fruity character to complement. Finishes with a slight grainy malt character, lending to the overall flavor the essence of pie crust, for the proverbial icing on the... well, pie!

M - Medium bodied with a light effervescence and syrupy texture. Nice balance of sweet and tart on the palate. Pretty refreshing overall and not overly sweet.

D - Cerise tastes, quite simply, like liquid cherry pie (much like Southern Tier Pumking captures the essence of a pumpkin pie). This one tastes so good, make a grown man cry. Good God, I can't believe I just quoted Warrant in a beer review. Oh well, there's a first time for everything, I guess.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours out a bright red, resembling something along the lines of a wine cooler, but a bit deeper. Not usually the look I'd want in my beer, but I'm willing to open my mind.

Sharp, dry wine smell emanates from this one. Not really a cherry aroma, but a nondescript fruit smell, akin to a sangria.

"Malt Beverage with Cherry Puree" is right on the money. This strongly resembles wine coolers in texture and taste, with just a bit more complexity in the dry, slightly bitter finish. Taste would be good for a fruit juice or soda, but really doesn't possess any of the character I expect from a beer.

Mouthfeel possesses the tingle and carbonation of a soft drink, with a bit more character. The fruit flavoring doesn't feel artificial, and there's something to be said for that.

Positively, it's not sickeningly sweet, which increases drinkability and stopped me from dumping it out, which is an unfortunate habit I have when it comes to fruit brews.

This is a respectable stab at a really tough style to master. Founders does an admirable job and it is truly one of the better fruit/vegetable ales I've tried.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle split with and courtesy of Proteus93 at Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA - thanks, Sean! Poured into a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: A bright, lively-looking reddish auburn brew, nearly pink in places, with a surprising amount of great-looking, foamy, sticky lace. The bright white head has surprisingly good retention, eventually fading into a soapy, large-bubbled collar.

Aroma: Whew, smells like sweet cinnamon bread with hints of cherry - almost like a cherry muffin, really. It's very wholesome, breakfast-esque, with plenty of those sweet cereal-grain backing notes. A pleasant surprise.

Taste: Straight up bready cherries, both tart and sweet, and as a cherry fan I am just fine with that. A few stray spicy notes, some slightly green, earthy, overtones, and the aforementioned sweet, slightly wholesome cereal grain notes. Pretty straight up cherries, really.

Mouthfeel: The fruit beer's downfall in almost every case, and this one's not too different. Bubbly and spritzy, a little too thin, really, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not too bad. At least it's not sticky cloying.

Drinkability: A worthy replacement to the Rubaeus, really. It's not mindblowingly amazing, but the fruit notes are pleasant enough, the beer well enough balanced, and there are enough surprises thrown in to keep it interesting and relatively enjoyable, and at 6.5%, it's certainly not too over the top. Give it a go.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pour is a beautiful maroon red with pinkish-white head.. sure, it look smore like cherry soda than a beer, but it still looks awesome. Has a sort of tart fruit smell to it, obviously smells of tart cherries but also sort of a candy-like smell similar to saw sweet tarts or something.. its a very fresh smell, though.. not inorganic. Taste is obviously fruity, tart cherries again but with a slight hint of bitterness from hops somewhere in there, it tastes a lot like a lambic. Very easy on the mouth with crisp carbonation with a light (not thin) body, a hint of sweetness like youd get from cherry syrup in a shirley temple or something towards the end of the swallow. You could easily drink a ton of these like they were sodas. Obviously, its more like a lambic or fruity soda than a beer, but for a fruit beer its awesome.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Cerise is crystal clear and a berry stained copper color. It's an interesting color. It's topped with a white head that has a slight pink tint. Carbonation looks very active and the head disappeared quickly. Light, sticky lacing lined the glass.

The nose is not very good at all. It predominantly smells sour and yeasty. I'm not liking it. There's a faint cherry or berry fruit scent to it. It doesn't smell sweet at all. I was expecting otherwise. Grain and earthy notes are present. Malts are noted on the back end, but still don't add much in terms of sweetness. No alcohol is noted. This one isn't working very well thus far.

The flavor does start out a little sweet interestingly enough. Sour cherries quickly follow and resonate throughout. Grain and earthy flavors are secondary and add quite a bit in terms of beer flavor. Generally, I'm not a big fan of fruit/vegetable beers simply because they don't have enough of a "beer" flavor. There's enough here to drive it above average. The sour flavor amplifies and has an interesting effect. It really lends some lambic-like qualities to it overall. It is malty and sweet throughout. Sweeter than I expected. It's above average for the style.

Cerise has a light medium body that's pretty smooth. Carbonation is active, but somehow doesn't interfere with the feel too much. Drinkability is pretty average for me personally. The flavor's alright, but it's a little sour and has too strong of a cherry flavor for me. One 12 ounce is way more than enough in a sitting.

Cerise is an above average fruit/vegetable beer. Overall, it's okay and has enough beer-like qualities to pass the laugh test. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of cherry and this was a little over the top for me. At the end of the day, it's a little better than I expected. While I'll never be a big fan of either, I prefer Rübæus to this. I guess I'm just more of a raspberry than a cherry fan. Meh. It's worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Reddish pink.. With slightly pinkish White head, that dissipates quickly.. Interesting..

S: Cherry. Obviously.

T: Tart, kinda like cherry pie filling.

M: A bit of carbonation, coats the mouth.. Not a lot to saY..

D: This might be awesome as a half and half, but I don't think I'll be drinking a lot of these solo.. Good, but not great.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Served on-tap at The Drafting room in Exton

Pours a pinkish-red with a fair amount of carbonation

Interesting nose, the cherry is apparent but not overpowering, the malt is a nice balance

The cherry comes out in the flavor, but again, strong but not overpowering. Refreshing, not overly sour but heading that way

Easy to drink - fizzy like a soda but so much better, a great summer beer.

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

A- Pours a hazy dark pink color, with virtually no head. No lacing, minimal foam cap.

S- Little to speak of... a hint of sour cherry, and wisps of dry malt husk. A little bit of christmas spices work their way in the back as well, but only just barely.

F- I will say without a doubt, that this improves as it warms. Sour cherry is the dominant flavor, but doesn't quite taste natural. Cherry flavor is very generic, sourness feels fake... acidulated malt or citric acid perhaps? There is still that ethereal sense of christmas spice that may or may not be there. Medicinal finish.

M- Thin, heavily carbonated, yet smooth.

D- decent at best...

Overall, a huge disappointment from Founders. They are MUCH better than this. Granted, fruit beers are very difficult to do well, especially cherry, but this just doesn't make the mark. I wouldn't buy it again....

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

A - pours an amber pinkish red with no foam to speak of

S - slight hints of cherry and some light malt

T - strong sour cherry flavor that gets you in the back of your jaw

M/D - nice carbonation, the mouthfeel is a little weird to me, i like the sour cherries but its almost too fruity. Its like drinking a wine cooler

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: high carbonation, medium head that fades away, clear fruit punch red

Smell: sour cherry

Taste: sour cherries dominate--some malt

Mouthfeel: very smooth, I can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A slightly sweet and sugary aftertaste that is borderline syrupy.

Drinkability: This is an above average fruit beer but nothing I feel is spectacular. I feel Rubeaus is a better drink. I will have this again and could have two in a sitting but will not actively search for it.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours hazy red-orange with a slight head that dissipates quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is lightly sweet with a strong cherry character.

Taste is completely cherry, with a massively tart finish that I was not initially prepared for. Flavorful for what it is, but lacks any malt or hops to give it a definite 'beer' quality. There does remain a subdued yeast funkiness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mild syrupy quality.

Flavorful, but doesn't taste like beer at all. More like a very well made wine cooler. Worth a try to satisfy my curiosity, but I probably wouldn't get it again.

The cherry flavor is well managed. Too often in cherry-flavored beers you get something more like a Jolly Rancher or cough drop, but here the cherry is very mild, almost more of a background flavor. Not too sweet, with a some tartness to balance. Finish was a little dry, with cherry pit bitterness.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dull red color and a cloudy consistency. There was no head to speak of, but some OK lacing.

S: The cherries and malt dominated the taste.

T: Surprisingly, the cherries weren't as overwhelming as I would've thought. Had an almost sour quality to it. Somewhat malty. Not as well defined as others of the style.

M: Highly carbonated beer with a slightly slick finish. Light-bodied.

D: I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but I figured I'd give this one a shot if Founders made it. It's not bad, and definitely drinkable, but didn't wow me.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours out a hazy. reddish-orange color. The head is very thin and loose, but the carbonation is very vibrant, bubbles fly all through the beer and cling to the side of the glass. The smell has a very deep bready sweetness. The cherries are faint, somewhat medicinal, but the fresh grain, barley, maybe wheat are very strong. I kind of hoped there would be some tartness, but I don't sense it in the smell. The taste delivers though, I'd say. Really is quite like cherry juice, some tartness, then a very nice pleasant maltiness, bready, sweet, but not cloying. The cherry taste is not like cough syrup, like I expected, but instead just delivers on the cherry. Reminds me of those tart cherries, not the dark sweet ones, but the yellowish-orange ones. I'm really liking it. The mouthfeel kind of clings with its sweetness, and it sort of reminds me of cola. The carbonation is spot on. At points it gets kind of thin. You kind of expect a fruit beer to be tart (at least I do, like the dry sour kind of beers). But this one really works, with brilliant fruit flavor without being either too sweet or too dry. It drinks very quickly, and the 6.5% won't hit you too quickly if you just have one. Though I could imagine drinking a few more if I had them. I would recommend it.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours kind of an amber color with a definite pinkish hue. A small light pink head forms but fades quickly into a small ring around the glass.
Getting mostly sweet bready malt aromas, the cherries don't come through as strongly as expected. Also some earthy yeasty aromas in there as well.
Taste is tart and sour cherries. Kind of reminds me of a kriek without all the funkiness. However there are some noticeable yeast flavors as well. Very crisp and refreshing.
Very lively, well carbonated feels almost like a soda in your mouth.
Very interesting and different beer but I couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours watermelon pink, crystal clear, very thin pink-white head despite the aggressive pour. Almost clear at the edges, which is odd - I've seen my share of Kriek, Framboise, and cherry/rasberry fruit beer pours, and this one seems to lack the depth of color most of them have.

Nose is sweet, smells like an apple cherry turnover. Seriously. Straight from MacDonalds.

Taste is quite sweet. Almost soda-like. Cherry shows up loud and clear, though I get a lot of apple-juice like sweetness as well. Biscuity malt note is hinted at towards the finish. My grandmother in law makes homemade apple and strawberry wine, and this kind of reminds me of that. It's not bad, doesn't taste artificial, etc., but to me this tastes more like a sparkling apple-cherry juice than anything I would call beer. It just doesn't really distinguish itself from the fruit sweetness in a way that, say, the New Glarus fruit beers do. They taste like fruit beers. This tastes like fruit soda. Still, not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light, light carbonation, a bit syrupy.

Drinkability is ok; would be able to drink more if I didn't feel like I was getting a sugar high.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Had a pint at Pearly Baker's in Easton, PA. This beer was a disappointment. It came out a clear cherry red with no head. The aroma and flavor are basically of cherry juice while there's also a vaguely nutty malt flavor in the background of the taste. Juicy but flat and not satisfying as a beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

What's amazing is this isn't a lambic, tart cherries carry the flavor. Appearance is like ruby red grapefruit juice with a light pink tinted head, fine bubbly carbonation forms evenly with lacing down the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up tart cherries more so the peels bringing alcohol and sweetness together along with the smell of evident grain infused within potent tart cherries. Flavor is excellent it lands some where between a sour ale and some cherry flavor jam. Reluctantly sweet and sour is thrown my way, but in the mix I find cherry peels carrying some booziness and some light cereal grains blending so well with the juices of mother nature. What an excellent blend touch of vinegar like acidity in the lightest vinegarette imaginable. Sweet syrupy layers of cherry sweetness quickly fade to dry tartness excellent creation very interesting like cherry cider. Great stuff I remember Rubaeus, right up there with that fruit ale. Founders doesn't offend I detect real fruit with a balanced profile mouthfeel is light at times with a reduced simple syrup border at times. Carbonation is perfect that's where everything carries out so well, quite the experience here. Girls will dig it and beergeeks will try and figure out how they did it. Drinkability is nice I don't get tired of the tartness or the cherry sweetness a great yin and yang offered up in a glass this one is good for your chee.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Light red, almost pink. Not much of a head, which is pretty common among the Founders beers I've had.

S: Sweet bready malt with a generous hint of cherry tartness.

T: All about tart cherries, but more in essence than in flavor. Almost like a red ale in its sourness. Amazingly refreshing.

M: Light and fizzy, kind of like cherry soda.

D: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's been my experience that as far as beer goes, cherry flavors don't play well with others. They either dominate completely or leave an unpleasant sour sensation that clashes with the main body of the beer. This one, however, has just enough cherry essence to be distinctive without it completely taking over. In all, an excellent summer beer. If you like Duchesse de Bourgogne or Rodenbach Grand Cru, this'll be right up your alley.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

This one is a pale pink fizzy color, looking similar to Faygo red pop. Smell is sweet malt and cherry, but neither are particularly overwhelming. Flavor is sour and tart cherries, much more sour than I was expecting. Not much of a hop profile here. Pretty light and easy drinker.

Best way to describe this is tart and sour. Good if you like cherries.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Poured a bright blush color with just a hint of white head, looks like strawberry soda with less carbonation.

The smell was very light and a bit tart with a touch of yeast.

The flavor is dominated by the cherries, slightly sweet and a bit tart. There are some faint hints of some malt and a bit of yeast, but pretty much all cherry.

The mouthfeel is a bit sticky and syrupy.

Its ok for a fruit beer, at least they went all in with the cherries instead of the slight hint that is so typical of most fruit beers, and it doesn't have that fake extract taste to it. Not bad if you want a cherry beverage.

A- Pours a bright pink/red color with amber/orange hues when held to the light. A small head forms, but reduces to a sticky ring around the edge of the glass.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a very strong honey aroma, followed by a bready smell, reminiscent of a yeasty sweet-roll. The cherry is much more subtle than I was expecting, but definately present.

T- The cherry is far more present in the flavor. Sweet cherry pie filling, but slightly tart as well. I taste a little honey as well, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma.

M- Light, crisp, pleasantly effervescent and slightly sticky. It feels more like a cherry soda than a beer, but not necessarily in a bad way.

D- Goes down easy. Sweet, but not too sweet and just a hint of tartness to balance it out.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz bottle fresh bottle in a Unibroue tulip glass.

Pours a light pink with a one finger pink head.

The first thing that comes to mind is I would not want to be drinking this in a clear glass at some of the rural establishments I'm forced to frequent with my extended family. Defending my honor would most likely be a physical proposition.

The second thing that comes to mind is, this is different and different is good.

I'll make a painful comparison to the appearance of a wine cooler.

The aroma is just not right. It's musty and lacks identity. It has a canned fruit essence to it, but I can't pick up what kind of fruit.

First couple of sips and I get a strong cherry pie filling flavor. I eat a lot of fresh cherries in the summer so I don't automatically associate cherries with pie filling.

Not overly sweet but it does have a tart tang finish.

A unique beer that I appreciate as well done, just not to my tastes.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company