Founders Holé Molé - Founders Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: adamette on 10-17-2009)
4.55/5  rDev n/a

On tap at the brewery earlier today. Served in a tall glass, a shortened version of a weizen glass. 12 oz. only serving for $5.

A The creamiest head that I have ever seen, reminds me of a Guinness nitro tap but there was no indication at the brewery that it was a nitro tap. The silky smooth head created the greatest curtain of lace on the glass upon repeated sips. I do not know how it can be improved. 5.0

S Soft chocolate milk smell. With repeated sniffs I picked up some dark roast malt. Nice, inviting smell. I did NOT smell any of the habañero peppers. 4.0

T Milk chocolate hit me first followed closely behind by dark roast malt. Any habañero heat did not come up for about 30 to 45 seconds, and it lingered for hours afterwards (seriously, I am writing this hours afterwards and I can still taste the habañero). The heat was not extreme and I really did not need the water that the bartender provided after I ordered it but I can understand why he did. Such a great, great beer with great complexity. 5.0

M So many sensations from the bigness of the chocolate, dark roast malt and then the long lasting heat of the habañero, this is a huge, complex beer as far as feel. 4.5

D Well I savored every drop but this is not particularly drinkable, a one and done if there ever was one. 4.0

Note: Such a treat to have at the brewery today. Founders is the bomb.

4.25/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

3.78/5  rDev n/a

I had this on tap at the brewery on 10/17/09

16oz. pour into one of founders standard imperial type glasses. The server described this beer as a chocolate, oatmeal porter brewed with habenero pepper. Pours jet black with a standard 1 1/2 inch head that's pretty common for a nitro pour. The first smell that hits my nose is that of sweet chocolate and roasted grain, there are also notes of sweet malt. Knowing that this was a "pepper beer" I would have never guessed it from the smell as the smell of the peppers seems to be completely masks by the chocolate, oats and grains in the beer. The taste was a different story completely. Original taste of milk and sweet chocolate followed quickly by an intense rush of peppery spiciness....WOW. The spice sits in your throat for several minutes after each sip. This is a very unique beer, but not at all something I would order again....way to much spice for me. That being said I have to give a lot of props to the brewers at Founders because what they have achieved here is basically turning a spicey rich mole into a beer. It's pretty phenomenal when a brewer attempt to put a flavor into a beer that is not the norm and hits it dead on. Bravo to Founders for making one supremely spicey ale!

3/5  rDev n/a

2.08/5  rDev n/a

I had this on tap at the Founders brewpub. The chalkboard only said "Hot! Hot! Hot!" as a description, so I asked the server and was told "habenero pepper and chocolate infused oatmeal stout". Having tried some fantastic chili pepper and chocolate beers (such as Fantome Chocolate), I was excited but unfortunately unprepared for what was to follow.

Habenero peppers are not friendy peppers. A little must surely go a long way, and can dominate the flavor of anything you mix together with them. And it's like a sleeper attack as you don't know you're gonna get hit until you taste it. There was no hint of pepper in the aroma, just some mildly sweet chocolate and a little roasted malt. But the first sip gave me nothing of those flavors, only intense pepper burn. I felt it for about 5 minutes after the sip, and I spent that time planning my attack for the rest of the beer. I opted for a chug, as I figured it would get the offensive stuff past my sensitive mouth all at one go, and put it in my stomache where it could only attack other things I wanted to digest anyway. So I downed it in 7 seconds and just dealt with the effects best I could. This was not a fun experience overall, taste and drinkability could not be any lower. Interesting experiment, but really I think Founders could have done much better. I'd have done 5-gallon homebrew batches and attempted to optimize the amount of habenero first...

Founders Holé Molé from Founders Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.