Founders Super Gold - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: adamette on 10-19-2009

4/5  rDev n/a

I tried this on a late, warm afternoon at the brewery. I very bright, clear golden-yellow with a foamy white head.
Very refreshing noble hop aroma and clean malts.
There is nothing like a fresh from the tap pilsner style lager. The flavor was crisp and refreshing with a very fresh, clean European hop bit and sweet, cracker-like malt. The lager had a very nice yeasty, bready flavor that you normally only experience with the highest quality German lagers.
The body was clean and light with sharp carbonation.
On this afternoon, I was in mood for a flavorful, refreshing and thirst quenching lager. This was perfect. (619 characters)

4.1/5  rDev n/a

I had this on tap at the brewery. The beer is light yellow and clear with a thin white foam. The aroma is lightly hoppy kind of citrusy but the hops are added with a light touch, just giving enough flavor that I's guess this would be a great cross-over beer. I swear it's an American Pale Ale, but it was entered as a pale lager on BA... The taste is lightly hopped, same as the aroma. Good carbonation, pepper mouthfeel. This is an excellent every day beer, I'd like to see it in bottles. (489 characters)

3.92/5  rDev n/a

Pint on tap at Founders Taproom.

A: Light golden yellow, as one might imagine, with light dancing, swirling bubbles. Small white head that dissipated rather quickly and left little lacing. Definitely not a looker, but elegant in its own way.

S: Very light and sweet; mostly light citrus/floral hoppiness. The sweetness was not overpowering, but it was much sweeter-smelling than I anticipated. Very intriguing.

T: Lovely light floral hoppiness encased in an almost candy-like sweetness. Barley malt shines through, though it's mostly a showcase of delicious springtime - reminiscent of the Pale Ale, but lighter/sweeter. Much more flavorful than the appearance and nose would imply. Finishes with a nice, crisp, light bitterness that leaves you fairly quickly - keeps you wanting more! I was pleasantly surprised.

M: There's not a lot of substance here - light/watery with moderate carbonation. Appropriate, but not particularly noteworthy.

D: Very good. It's light enough that it won't fill you up, but there's more than enough flavor to keep you satisfied (especially if you enjoy the Pale Ale). I'm sad that the Super Gold is only available in Founder's Taproom - it would definitely be my choice "lighter" beer.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Super Gold. Tried a pint on a whim, and it got me hooked. Fantastic "light" option. And, just an fyi, I typically err toward the heavier end of the beer spectrum (Founder's Breakfast Stout/Porter anyone?), but this would definitely be a fridge staple if it were available for purchase outside of Founders! (1,577 characters)

3.17/5  rDev n/a

Poured from the tap at the brewery yesterday during my visit there into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Clear yellow with very little head. 2.5

S Hops, barley malt but in a muted way. 3.0

T Hops, barley malt carries right over into the taste. This is a simple tasting beer. 3.0

M Thin feel, right on target for the style. 3.0

D Good but I do not believe that I will try this again. 4.0

Notes: I was told by fellow patrons at Founders that "this is what they serve people who don't like beer" which I believed to be an indication that it is supposed to be the most drinkable at the brewery. Of course there are so many other great artisan beers made and served here I cannot agree with that. (694 characters)

Founders Super Gold from Founders Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.