Founders Centennial IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-13-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 7,204 | Reviews: 1,844
4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Piney in the beginning with a smooth finish.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasty and well balanced. Hops are present but not overbearing. Will not disappoint.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent. Nicel balanced hops and malt. Linger is silky.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders Centennial is a great beer from Founders Brewing Co. The Centennial hops give this beer an exotic taste that I always recommend. Founder's does a great job of giving their beer a unique taste, and these specific hops really make the beer unique.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I cracked an ice cold bottle and made my way to the living room. Halfway there I took a sip and stopped in my tracks, my brain reeling from the flavor intensity. Lots of hops, but also a deep, roasted chocolate flavor and a high, almost grapefruit note. Beautiful amber color with a lack of a head, but I didn't mind.
I returned to the kitchen and poured the rest of the beer in a proper glass, this one is too good to suck out of a bottle. One of the most delightful beers I've had since Bell's Two Hearted. A world class beer.

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Crisp, IPA bitter aftertaste but not to overwhelming. Recommend

4.41/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in an IPA glass. Great color and smooth finish. Hard to find a good IPA in Nashville and this is the best so far.

3.37/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tumbler from a 12 oz bottle. Bottled on 12/20/14 so it's not as fresh as I would hope.

Color is dark gold, almost amber. It's hazy with a one finger cream head that dissipates into clumpy islands. Decent lacing. Smell is earthy hops and biscuit. Smells like a hops cookie. Taste is similar - it has a lot of sweetness that balances the earthy hop flavors. Finish is mildly bitter. Body is lighter than I expected with ample carbonation. Overall, it's very drinkable, but being a hop-head it's a little on the sweet side for my tastes.

3.14/5  rDev -24.2%

Bronze-coloured, very malty, too strong for me.

I don't really LOVE it...

4.76/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent taste from start to finish. One of my favorite IPAs

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Born on 12/16/14, gone 03/16/15. Not overly appealing on the smell. The taste is what did it for me - a real smooth one that stays with you. Glad I splurged a bit to try this one.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin, uneven cap; thick rings of lacing that fade quickly;

S: earthy, floral, a little grapefruit;

T: quite floral through mid-palate; that fades a bit at the end; a bit of caramel/toffee in the background; moderately bitter finish;

M: medium bodied; light to moderate carbonation;

O: not very complex; not much malt character;

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First and only beer I've ever tried that gave a distinct taste that I can only describe as "Windex."

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%

Amazing, excellent feel and smooth. Pizza and fish.

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Weak aroma, on the malty side

4.43/5  rDev +7%

a: A hazy orange honey color. Nice beige colored head and good lacing.

s: I could smell this as I poured it...delightfully fragrant with hops and malt. Very smooth and seductive.

t: A hoppy, fruity, malty brew...all at once. Buttery then bitter finish.

mf: For me, a fuller mouth feel but smooth and drinkable.

o: Extremely balanced. An absolute delight.

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very Easy drinking iPad, poured into glass from a can

3.05/5  rDev -26.3%

A bit too bitter for my tastes.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

This is just a great IPA.
I drank right from the bottle...so cant comment on look.
Smell - straight forward
T=outstanding - just right with sweet/bitter/citrus combo
F=very pleasant carbonation - round, full mouth feel.

founders as this one dialed in!

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Canned on 10/19/2014. Sampled and reviewed on March 1, 2015.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Pours a hazy amber color with a 1 finger head of white foam that quickly dissipated into a light film. Mild carbonation. No lacing. Smells of hops, pine, and sweet fruit (oranges, tangarines, citrus, grapefruit). Lots of hops on the taste buds. Bitterness is definitely present but not overpowering. There's a nice balance between the hops and the sweet malt. Heavy-bodied for an IPA, in my opinion. Overall taste is hops upfront with a nice transition into sweet fruit. A slight bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very solid IPA. I'd stand it up to any of the other "big" ones any day. I would've liked a big, frothy head but hey. To me, smell and taste are the biggest factors that determine whether or not a beer is good. I wasn't impressed initially with its appearance but once it hit my tongue, that quickly changed. Although the one I had was over 3 months old, I think the fact that it was in a can made its age irrelevant. Not sure I'd have bought it had it been in a bottle. But yes, good beer.

Edit: March 8, 2015. I tried this beer again, dated January 31, 2015, and it is much better than when previously consumed. I'll up the smell & taste to a 4.5. This is probably going to be my go-to beer for anything but sampling, or special occassions.

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I love the overall hop profile. It's not overbearing at all, very easy to drink. The hop taste lingers in your mouth after a drink of this beer. A lot of floral notes. Great IPA.

2.68/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From here on out I will refrain myself from IPA's. Spare both world and self.

3.02/5  rDev -27.1%

12oz bottle poured into nonic. Hazy orange liquid with a two finger eggshell head. Some lacing. Aroma is caramel, muted citrus fruit, grass, and bready malt. Flavor is caramel sweetness and some grapefruit flesh and peel, bread, and pine hop resin. I expected a more pronounced hop profile based on other reviews. I’ll chalk it up to the fact that this beer was bottled in September and I drank it in February. Medium body, slick but resinous texture, average carbonation, long bitter finish. I’ll try a fresher one and see if it helps.

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden-orange pour with dense finger of white head. Aromas of heavy pine and grapefruit, with some malty sweetness peeking through. Flavor is similar, with hops at the forefront, but by mid-sip, giving way to malt. The retail description is apt regarding the finish - one of the most balanced, cleanest, mellowest of any IPA I’ve had. Well done!

to view more.