Founders Centennial IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Centennial IPAFounders Centennial IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-13-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Centennial IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 7,677
2.15/5  rDev -47.7%

I tried. I really tried to like this brew, but I just don't like it. Looks great, pours like a champ, nice color great lasting head. And that's the best part. Where's the nose? I don't get a thing here. Bitter to the end, but not much else IMO, a one trick pony. A little boozy, I can taste the alcohol, and the finish leaves a lot to be desired. I'm fighting drinking this six, but I won't buy it again there are too many others out there to taste or buy. Too bad a great brewery IMO missed the mark, or maybe they hit it. It's a tribute to Centennial, so maybe it's a me thing.

2.28/5  rDev -44.5%

I thought going into it I would love this beer, but... I tried my best to find something about this brew I liked but just couldn't. There's not much nose to this beer whatsoever which is what really kills it for me. Very bland and it tastes just like it smells... Nothing but bitterness with a slight hop taste in there and not much flavor at all.

2.44/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I just tapped a keg of Centennial today, and not impressed with it at all. It is one dimensional with little aroma, and moderate lingering hops at the end. I have read some other reviews about the delicate malts giving way to the hops. I couldn't disagree more. It didn't "give way," it simply wasn't there to begin with. Because of this, Centennial is at best just another bland beer trying to make up for that with an obscene amount of dry hopping. IBU of 65? It sure seems to finish higher, but I guess when it has nothing else going on, 65 would be about right. Looks like a perfect candidate for my "Kill The Keg" discount program.

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Originally sampled on 12 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Oh-oh, screw top, bad omen! This pours opaque burnt amber with a thin white head. It has a slight hoppy aroma. The taste is more grapefruit than hops. This was a disappointing beer.

2.51/5  rDev -38.9%

Color: Copper with a nice off-white head that fades quickly

Aroma: Citrusy and floral hops, hint of roses.

Flavor: Sweet malt, citrusy flavor upfront, then a weird dose of roses! What the F@$K! Fading to a nice bitterness. Full-bodied.

Overall: Aaaaa, I'm not sure I like this either, that rose flavor is really throwing me off. It's not my favorite IPA, of that I'm sure.

2.58/5  rDev -37.2%

Founders makes some truly amazing, inspired beers. This is not one of them.

It certainly *pours* looking good. The delicious amber of an IPA whose malt will make its presence known before cruel hops cut through it, delicately topped by a thick dishwater head.
But then you raise the glass to your nose . . . chalky? The citrus notes have to fight against a strange, earthy, chalky smell. I like noble hops, but this is not the fine summer's dirt of Hallertauer, this is the smell you get when you fall face-first into a puddle of mud.

Taste follows smell -- it is dominated by the strange chalky presence and the 7% alcohol makes itself more felt than it ought be.

I live in 3F country, so perhaps I am merely spoiled by their expert use of hops (I did have a fresh Dreadnaught yesterday) but this beer just wasn't that good.

Founders makes a lot of really good beers. Drink those, not this one.

2.67/5  rDev -35%

Orange with a touch of red in the hugh. There are some bubbles rising up. A 1 finger head that's leaving more lacing that expected but not anything special. The head stays well and looks very nice and creamy.

Bready sour dough like bread notes finished with citrus aromas. This is surprisingly intense and tasty.

Odd, founders has nearly figured out the Dogfish Head malt mess. They however here are still keeping the hops in balance with the malt (IPA balanced) by a subtle hair. A touch of spice in the hops here. The hop and malt mix is good but it isn't great. They seem to contrast a touch poorly. I'm not sure what is off here. Still a lot of flavor and very enjoyable.

Well carbonated, medium body (a bit high given only 6.7) and frankly this doesn't drink that easy.

Well this is an overrated beer. That said it is pretty tasty to this IPA loving bastard. It just doesn't reach those elite levels. This beer has intense flavors. I think the intensity is popular but it is intense to be intense and the flavors just don't mesh.

2.7/5  rDev -34.3%

I really want to like this one. Smells and looks so good. Definite pine aroma, and initially I get a solid malt sweetness balanced by the citrus (but the alcohol isn't as well hidden as some might suggest). But then the citrus changes, almost like instead of getting the zest, I got the really pungent white part between the zest and the flesh. And I can't shake the aftertaste that reminds me of a bad cigar. It lingers too.

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

Cloudy amber in appearance. Very sour smell, not very inviting. There are some hints of hops in the nose. Lacks bitterness and has a very acidic taste. The mouthfeel is does not fall short of the taste. There is a slight sweetness at the end of the swallow. It does leave the tongue ok, but we have had better. Overall this is an average IPA and with a little work it could be good. Falls short of our expectations.

2.74/5  rDev -33.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard flared pint glass

(Served in a pint glass)

A- Copper body with an off white creamy head that is seems to dissipate fairly quickly There is a fair carbonation and although the head is gone there is some lacing.

S- All citrus fruit hops come through with pine notes and all grapefruit finish.

T- Starts off clean and fresh but as it lingers I get an alcohol warming that is not desirable, as well as an after taste that is too much grapefruit and not enough malt. Definitely not a session beer for me.

M- Medium mouthfeel with a harsh alcohol warmth in the finish left me wanting another taste just to make sure.

O- Overall this one is on the border of the style for me and not well balanced. Some good depth and hops character but no support from the malt. It's alcohol finish with bitter grapefruit ending is not smooth or pleasant for my liking in this style.

2.74/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This IPA is without question one of the best balanced and complex flavors that is one the market. The Founder’s Crew did an amazing job producing a beautiful color, great balanced taste, and still had that classic IPA flavor. Only drawback that I had was that the palate was a little bit lacking but still, amazing beer. Widely available, so give it a try. I just don't like piney IPA's

2.79/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz Bottle into a tasting glass.

Looks fine, orange Amber color. Darker than your normal ipa. Smell is faint but of onions, pine and resin. Taste is scarcely bare able. Strong astringent onions and garlic. Terrible syrupy pine sap and pine cones linger on the palate. I've heard a lot of people comment that Founders Centennial IPA would struggle with west coast distribution bc it can't stack up to west coast IPAs. It's even worse than that, this is just a poorly crafted ipa that tastes like from an amateur brewery. Really a challenge to finish.

2.83/5  rDev -31.1%

On tap in Edwaredsville, IL. From notes.

A- Milky copper color. Not much head, and low retention.

S- This has no nose to it. Hard to detect anything other than a basic hop spice and a watery malt.

T- Starts with a muted hop flavor, with a watery finish. Initially was going to flunk the taste. However, owing to how poor it started, i was not drinking it fast. As it warms, the flavors come out to play a little. there is a nice cherry sweetness, some smoke to the malt and a nice oily hop feel on the tongue, yet the bitterness still is lacking.

M- chalky.not enough carbonation.

O- this is an honest review, who knows maybe the keg was an old tap, or the AC was on too strong in the restaraunt,,, I don't know... but this was not a good beer. if I ever find it again I might re-review as this is going to be a much below average review of this. But its what I was poured.

2.91/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Unfortunately, this was a drain pour for me. I was really looking forward to this beer. I think this beer might have been on the older side (couldn't find a bottled date). Hopefully I can get my hands on another and update the review if things are different.

2.93/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a three finger cream head that fades slowly, leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit hop nose. Flavor is sweet malt but this is an IPA and the hops kick in for a bitter finish. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2.95/5  rDev -28.2%

Recent trade, thanks john

Pours an amber/copper golden hue into my Saranac pint/pilsner glass. Translucent, a little transparent (unfiltered). Solid 2 fingers of lacing dropping to a single circle. Looks nice

Initial smell is of genious. Complete hop infusion boquet. Must have been instilled in the carbonation (dry hopped) as after the beer settles, I lose the smell. I had it at 5, but since I cant smell the yummies anymore, I dropped it to a 4. I dont get much else smell wise. ABV hidden well.

ABV hit intertwined with the hops. Nothing much to note. There is a bitterness at the end that is displeasing to me, almost of metal. While its hoppy, the after taste doesnt sit right. I wonder if this has something to do with the ABV, as it seems unbalanced. Id like to see a BoD for this brew as the unfinishing hop character makes me think it may have sat around for a while. But with the 7%, it may just be a balance issue.

As noted above, Im not fond of the finish. I almost dont want to taste it. WHile Im not the biggest IPA guy, I dont think real IPA guys want to finish this way.

Id like to say this may be a bad bottle, maybe old, dunno. THe most I taste of this brew, the more that finish tastes like sediment, even though there is no sediment in the bottle. As a HB, I know the taste of unfiltered, its not it.

2.96/5  rDev -28%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Had to pour aggresivly to get a head and then it was only about a 1/4". Took huge whiff and hop aroma was seriously lacking for an IPA. Tasted like an IPA, but could have used more hop all around. Was in good balance however. A nicely balanced beer makes it very drinkable. It complemented my spicy chicken fajitas very very well.

I was hoping for a little more all around hop punch in aroma and bitterness. Maybe a fresher one would deliver better. I will definetly try again, but this first one was a pretty average IPA.

2.98/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle 01/20/2012. 7.2%. 65 IBUs. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Antwerp Beer Passion Weekend 2011 stemglass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery - though I often find American breweries make IPAs poorly.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. I'm a firm believer most IPAs are best served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, nice soft cream, great thickness, and excellent retention (5+ minutes) for the above average ABV. Colour is a murky nontransparent nonopaque dull copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Hops: slight oily piney hops and some more floral/citrusy hops. Bitterness is present underneath, but largely disguised by the dominant oily pine. Clean bright malts lie underneath. A mild strength aroma.

T: Too oily - especially from the open through the midpoint. Somewhat piney. Citrus and floral hops get lost in the mix. The bitterness punches through on the climax, destroying the balance. An ideal IPA balances its bitterness; this one does not. Clean malts lend it a decent foundation, but when the hops clear in the first half and the foundation is all that's left, the effect is not a good one. A vague weird ester comes through on the finish to ill effect. Some slight cream. Structurally imbalanced as well: the vast majority of the flavour is present after the midpont. Pre-midpoint, the beer feels empty and neglected. Overall, the oily quality just ruins the build for me. Somewhat complex, but not at all a subtle brew. The hop layering promised by the aroma is absent from the flavour profile.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also wretchedly oily. A touch overcarbonated and slightly too thick to boot. Moderate on the palate; neither too heavy nor too light but not ideal.

Dr: Feels like a failed attempt. This IPA fails on two major counts: the hop bitterness isn't adequately balanced and the hop oil isn't controlled in the mouthfeel. At its best moments, it tastes like piney nectar. At its worst, oily hops compete with naked dull malts. I had high hopes because it's Founders, but my expectations were far from met. A disappointing offering from Founders. It's only my second beer from them, but I quite enjoyed the first. I look forward to tasting more of their offerings.

Best served cold.

Probably drinks best from a conical pint glass.

A bad candidate for aging.

Pours a nice clear copper, minimal head that fades fast
Smells of funky malts and slight floral hops
Thick on the tongue, taste of pine and toasty cereal, slightly sweet at first, but comes with a heavy bitter after taste. Way more than the 65 ibu would suggest.
Not well balanced in my opinion and way to bitter for the abv. For serious hopheads. In my opinion there are way better options at the same price.

A - Pours amber

S - sweet caramel, toffee

T - mostly sweet malt, some minor citrus hops. More of a simple amber ale then an IPA. I guess this is an "IPA" in the midwest/East.

M - Medium bodied.

O - Amber malt with light fruity hops. Meh.

A: The beer pours a light amber/dark orange color with a frothy off-white head and nice lacing.

S: Citrus hops with a strong woody, piney character. Some lightly sweet and bready malts. A little bit of grass in there, too. Most of the citrus is grapefruit, which becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

T: Big time bitterness from the grapefruit peel and pine hop notes. A lot of toasted bread malt flavor in the background, which I found sort of surprising.

M: Medium in body with a medium carbonation and a lingering bitterness.

Not a bad beer by any means at all, just a average ipa nothing excellent stands out to me

Today Sietse (apophis666) paid me a visit. He loves the IPA beers so i cracked a few open. I got this bottle in a trade with listenatjoes.

This beer is not my style to be honest and this beer was no exeption. The problem with this beer is the bitter hopstaste which developes in the back of the mouth.

3.01/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

After Raul just drain poured a [insert highly acclaimed beer that Raul won't mention] he went on to a throw in from a trade.

Ok, Raul can at least respect this bad boi. I mean, it's palatable, it has taste, it doesn't make Raul want to bleach his taste buds... But Midwest, what is up with these malty, copper in hue IPA's? Raul gets it, that's just the way it is out there - but it doesn't mean that he has to like it.

3.01/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance: Deep copper color with a nice creamy head. Somewhat cloudy(unfiltered).

Aroma: Muted hop aroma. Some malt in the background.

Taste: Hops present, but malt dominates. Not typical IPA flavors.

Mouthfeel: Coating mouthfeel, with hops giving some bitterness, but malt gives good balance.

Drinkability: An easy-drinking IPA. More of a Pale Ale IMO, since the hops are not overpowering. Not what I expected, and I doubt I will try again.

3.01/5  rDev -26.8%

As I could not tell the bottled on date this may be an old bottle...which explains the lack of dry hop aroma. Centennial is a very fragrant hop with a lot of citrus-grapefruit character which is not present in the aroma. I smell mostly sweet malts. The taste is grapefruit with light spice and some malty sweetness...nothing exciting here. I'd like to try this fresh on tap from the brewery...probably like night and day. Anyway, give it a try but always check your dates...especially for hoppy offerings. Cheers!

Founders Centennial IPA from Founders Brewing Company