Founders Centennial IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Centennial IPAFounders Centennial IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-13-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Centennial IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,828 | Hads: 7,483
3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

Amber colored ale with a creamy head and thick lace. Mild citrus aroma. Smooth body with flavors of citrus, bread, and tropical fruits. Mild bitterness. Easy drinking, tasty beer. (179 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a golden copper colour with a yellow/white head. Some others say it doesn't last long but for me it hung around till I almost finished the beer with lacing down the glass. I get citrus hops smell that is quite plesent. I think the taste is really good! Fairly bitter but not overly so and you don't notice the alcohol content. Carbonation is spot on for me. I really like this beer and would happily have it again. (420 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a translucent amber color with a moderate head of lemon meringue froth that doesn’t last long. Aroma smells of grapefruit and pine resin with perhaps a whiff of tropical fruit.

The taste follows the nose, with industrial strength pine resin overriding the grapefruit. Any malt sweetness is very difficult to discern. The mouthfeel is quite curious. It stands up alright at first blush, but the bottom drops out on the back end, leading to a nearly watery finish. Carbonation is on the weaker side, which doesn’t help.

Overall, this is the epitome of the generic IPA as I currently conceive of it--overpowering bitterness with little to no balance. I love Founders, and I can enjoy an IPA if it’s really stellar, but unfortunately this just doesn’t do it for me. (783 characters)

Draft into a chilled pint glass. Little to no head. Some lacing. Looks like organic apple juice. Smells of hops and citrus. Taste is mild. Not bitter but not a lot of citrus either. Pleasant and drinkable. Guessing a dry hopped ipa. Decent abv at 7.2% with zero burn. More citrus would have put it over the top. (324 characters)

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Excellent , full-bodied but not sugary higher % IPA,. At 7.2% I got a lot less alcohol than I was expecting - very smooth, tasty and sessionable than anticipated.
That said, I found it to be a little dry - lacking citrus which would have put it over the top for me.

Overall - great beer. Definitely worth it- they go down easy, so...easy now. (351 characters)

Very solid. Not very fragrant but very tasty. Malty with a bitter aftertaste. Date was 3 months old. Would probably be better if fresher. Could be a reliable beer. yb (166 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Unfortunately, this was a drain pour for me. I was really looking forward to this beer. I think this beer might have been on the older side (couldn't find a bottled date). Hopefully I can get my hands on another and update the review if things are different. (258 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass. Not much head, thin lacing.

Nose is citrusy, pleasant. Refreshing.

Taste is pretty outstanding. Citrusy hops, very refreshing. 7.2% alcohol is masked perfectly.

Carbonation is on point. Feels full bodied.

I've had plenty of Founders stuff, but haven't really ventured into their IPAs. I'm a big fan of this one and will likely pick up more later in the summer. (394 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I tried to find a few Hoppy ales that had good ratings here and try a single..The founders centennial ipa Is very drinkable not as much hoppy aroma As I like but has a unique pleasant taste sorta grapefruity .. would never believe it a 7.2% goes down smooth I can taste that is it dry hopped on a good way. (307 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Defintley starting to dig these IPAs. I'm from the dark side of beer, if you catch my drift.
Pours very nice dark golden, with a glow of light amber cloudy goodness. Beatiful head thru out full glass, minimal but lasting residual lacing too. Smells of light pine and floral hints, lots of hops yummm. Tastes like an explosion of dry hops n bitterness that finishes off just right with that relaxing after taste. Feels too good going down. Overall I'm dign' it... Cheers (471 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. The liquid is a dark-ish amber, clear but translucent, and with a few tiny bubbles rising through it. The pour produces a thick off-white head that leaves plenty of lace and has good staying power.

Aroma is lots of citrus, mostly oranges, with a bit of grapefruit thrown in. There's just a whiff of some pine resin, and it's backed by just a tiny bit of bready malts.

Flavor follows the nose - lots of citrus. The flavor adds a bit more pine resin, and a hint of dankness. Swishing it around on your tongue gives it a great, flavorful hop beating. Mid-palate there's just a kiss of bready malts, and then the finish and aftertaste are all hops. Finish is very bitter - much more bitter than some of the newer IPAs, but luckily it balances it with a nice citrusy, hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with heavy, prickly carbonation.

Overall, it's a classic and amazing IPA, and one of the first beers that started getting me into beer, but I think it has been upstaged by some of the newer, more tropical, citrusy, and dank IPAs coming out now. Still, this is great as an old standby, and even as a history lesson! ;) (1,165 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Definite pine initial taste as you take a sip, dark cherry notes and bittersweetness as you drink, akin to unsweetened elderberry juice. Citrus notes are overpowered the hops. The hops provide the bitters, but the residual sugars come through with this IPA. The alcohol content is ideal, in my opinion, higher than a common beer but not high enough to have an alcohol aftertaste.

The carbonation is stronger than a typical beer, but not too strong. Everything about this beer is ideal in context, but together they don't taste like they theoretically would. I'm going down this list of "taste, mouthfeel, appearance.." and everything gets an A+ from me, but for some reason the overall taste just isn't "world-class" like it's rated.
Its a 4 star, good, but not perfect. (772 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders Centennial is a great beer from Founders Brewing Co. The Centennial hops give this beer an exotic taste that I always recommend. Founder's does a great job of giving their beer a unique taste, and these specific hops really make the beer unique. (254 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I cracked an ice cold bottle and made my way to the living room. Halfway there I took a sip and stopped in my tracks, my brain reeling from the flavor intensity. Lots of hops, but also a deep, roasted chocolate flavor and a high, almost grapefruit note. Beautiful amber color with a lack of a head, but I didn't mind.
I returned to the kitchen and poured the rest of the beer in a proper glass, this one is too good to suck out of a bottle. One of the most delightful beers I've had since Bell's Two Hearted. A world class beer. (528 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tumbler from a 12 oz bottle. Bottled on 12/20/14 so it's not as fresh as I would hope.

Color is dark gold, almost amber. It's hazy with a one finger cream head that dissipates into clumpy islands. Decent lacing. Smell is earthy hops and biscuit. Smells like a hops cookie. Taste is similar - it has a lot of sweetness that balances the earthy hop flavors. Finish is mildly bitter. Body is lighter than I expected with ample carbonation. Overall, it's very drinkable, but being a hop-head it's a little on the sweet side for my tastes. (558 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Born on 12/16/14, gone 03/16/15. Not overly appealing on the smell. The taste is what did it for me - a real smooth one that stays with you. Glad I splurged a bit to try this one. (179 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin, uneven cap; thick rings of lacing that fade quickly;

S: earthy, floral, a little grapefruit;

T: quite floral through mid-palate; that fades a bit at the end; a bit of caramel/toffee in the background; moderately bitter finish;

M: medium bodied; light to moderate carbonation;

O: not very complex; not much malt character; (407 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8%

a: A hazy orange honey color. Nice beige colored head and good lacing.

s: I could smell this as I poured it...delightfully fragrant with hops and malt. Very smooth and seductive.

t: A hoppy, fruity, malty brew...all at once. Buttery then bitter finish.

mf: For me, a fuller mouth feel but smooth and drinkable.

o: Extremely balanced. An absolute delight. (360 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

This is just a great IPA.
I drank right from the bottle...so cant comment on look.
Smell - straight forward
T=outstanding - just right with sweet/bitter/citrus combo
F=very pleasant carbonation - round, full mouth feel.

founders as this one dialed in! (252 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Canned on 10/19/2014. Sampled and reviewed on March 1, 2015.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Pours a hazy amber color with a 1 finger head of white foam that quickly dissipated into a light film. Mild carbonation. No lacing. Smells of hops, pine, and sweet fruit (oranges, tangarines, citrus, grapefruit). Lots of hops on the taste buds. Bitterness is definitely present but not overpowering. There's a nice balance between the hops and the sweet malt. Heavy-bodied for an IPA, in my opinion. Overall taste is hops upfront with a nice transition into sweet fruit. A slight bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very solid IPA. I'd stand it up to any of the other "big" ones any day. I would've liked a big, frothy head but hey. To me, smell and taste are the biggest factors that determine whether or not a beer is good. I wasn't impressed initially with its appearance but once it hit my tongue, that quickly changed. Although the one I had was over 3 months old, I think the fact that it was in a can made its age irrelevant. Not sure I'd have bought it had it been in a bottle. But yes, good beer.

Edit: March 8, 2015. I tried this beer again, dated January 31, 2015, and it is much better than when previously consumed. I'll up the smell & taste to a 4.5. This is probably going to be my go-to beer for anything but sampling, or special occassions. (1,407 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I love the overall hop profile. It's not overbearing at all, very easy to drink. The hop taste lingers in your mouth after a drink of this beer. A lot of floral notes. Great IPA. (178 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz bottle poured into nonic. Hazy orange liquid with a two finger eggshell head. Some lacing. Aroma is caramel, muted citrus fruit, grass, and bready malt. Flavor is caramel sweetness and some grapefruit flesh and peel, bread, and pine hop resin. I expected a more pronounced hop profile based on other reviews. I’ll chalk it up to the fact that this beer was bottled in September and I drank it in February. Medium body, slick but resinous texture, average carbonation, long bitter finish. I’ll try a fresher one and see if it helps. (540 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden-orange pour with dense finger of white head. Aromas of heavy pine and grapefruit, with some malty sweetness peeking through. Flavor is similar, with hops at the forefront, but by mid-sip, giving way to malt. The retail description is apt regarding the finish - one of the most balanced, cleanest, mellowest of any IPA I’ve had. Well done! (352 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Medium amber color. Floral aroma hop smell with apple hints. Bittering hops run through this brew's veins, and malty sweetness compliments it very well. Great brew (163 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful color, relatively dark for an IPA. Smell is not piney or fruity, subdued. Great feel, slightly bitter. Right up my alley really, could accidentally drink a lot of it! ;) (183 characters)

Founders Centennial IPA from Founders Brewing Company