Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

(Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by BeerFMAndy:
BeerFMAndy

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottled 02/03/10

Thanks a billion to Sweemzander for hooking a bunch of this up. ...Now I just need more...

A - An extremely tall pour is still quiet and gives off a barely two-finger cream head. It's dense but retained poorly (from the alcohol I'm sure). It leaves a mountainous silhouette of lace though. Carbonation bubbles rise lazily through the beautiful clear orange-amber color as if it's maple syrup.

S - Just utterly complex on the nose. Tons of light bourbon and rich maple. Crazy nose full of hints at different things is just toying with my olfactory sense. A lot of coconut and pineapple too which is almost pina colada-like. A mild warmth is a reminder this is rich with alcohol. Malt-rich with little in the way of hops, caramel notes poke out as well. So delicious smelling.

T - Warm alcohol is immediately present but not hot or burning which is surprising for it's young age. Lots of caramel malt undertones with a robust wheat flavor and dense breadiness. Fruit bouquets abound here, possibly from hops or alcohol or both. Red apple slivers, pineapple chunks, coconut shavings, and juicy mango. A hop presence is apparent on the finish but besides possible fruity involvement, there isn't a noticeable hop flavor. The maple and bourbon lay low in the flavor which is surprising, again, for it's age.

M - Silky smooth and thick but not syrupy, Nemesis is a full, full bodied wheatwine with a tiny carbonation tickle to the swallow. It feels thicker than it is from the lack of carbonation. A smooth, not hot, alcohol warmth rises on the finish. Really sweet, no hint of bitterness.

D - Dangerously drinkable right now, it's going down so well. I can't wait to see how this ages but in order to do so, I'm gonna have to suppress my urge to drink and share all the bottles I'm hoarding. The nuances it already has can only get better and develop further. I'm hoping to see a bit less fruit and a little more maple and bourbon in the flavor later on. This is the stuff I wish my dreams were made of.

03-25-2010 01:59:18 | More by BeerFMAndy
jaasen64

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into Founders tulip.

A- Cap comes off with a decent hiss, pours a slightly hazy with a little bit of translucency, orange brown in color with a very thin white head that quickly recedes to a still top, carbonation appears to be fairly low and there's a ton of white sediment chunks floating around even though it's been resting in my cellar for >6 months and I didn't pour the bottom of the beer in. By far not the most physically attractive beer.

S- Maple definitely still comes out fairly strong with a nice oak presence, malty with some underlying dark fruits, a slight bit of citrus that conflicts with the maple a tiny bit, a little bit of acetone. Oxidation is definitely present but overall the nose is holding up with still a strong aroma, decent barrel presence, and complexity.

T- Sweet maple balanced with a nice oak presence, fairly malty, slight bit of citrus, dark fruits come out on the finish with a nice plum presence balancing nicely with the maple. Not as much acetone or oxidation as the nose indicates, nice subtle complexities.

M- Slick, definitely on the flat side, goes down pretty easy without too much alcohol burn.

O- Besides the appearance Nemesis is a pretty good beer that is definitely still holding it's own. Once you get past the insane amount of sediment it's actually quite tasty. The maple barrel adds a nice presence balanced with malty dark fruits. I wouldn't age this much longer as I think it's already falling off but it's still definitely worth drinking.

07-12-2014 23:34:01 | More by jaasen64
vrbulldog22

07-09-2014 21:38:51 | More by vrbulldog22
bladehines

Kentucky

A-Very Amber! Stored this bottle myself for the last 5yrs in a cellar! Lots of sediment! Beautiful color!

S-Very bourbon-esque! Malty sweetness, smells great!!!.

T-WOW bourbon!!!! Very malty as well, balanced, no alcohol after taste. So much bourbon. Very little maple left. If you did a blind taste on this you'd think it was a decent bourbon or a great bourbon with some water added.

M-Heavy body, thick, coats your throat even!

O-I love bourbon and I love this beer! I have tried one every year since I bought them and waited till now to try this one. I bought and stored all of them in a cellar the entire time so I know mine are better then most, and I pored mine in a tulip glass slow so there was very little sediment in the glass. Nice slow pour. So good, too bad it's my last one...

06-30-2014 19:15:34 | More by bladehines
rlee1390

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A-Cloudy amber, not much carbonation, at all, no head either. But at 4+ years old I can't say I'm shocked.

S-Extremely malt heavy. Lots of wheat. Very slight bourbon, some sugary maple is left.

T-Malt heavy, but still balanced even this old. The sugary sweet maple is there. Not much bourbon but some oak is there. But age has left it a tad too sweet.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation rather thick.

O-A tad too sweet. I can only imagine how good this would have been fresh. But I am soo glad to be able to have tried it.

06-26-2014 01:37:29 | More by rlee1390

01-26-2014 03:31:22 | More by cp45
McUbermensch

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served cold from a bottle and poured into a tulip.

I tried to let this warm as much as I could as the establishment I ordered it from had it in a fridge.

The appearance was a cloudy orange. I would have liked to have poured this from the bottle myself to allow the yeast sediment to stay in the bottle. Pretty sure that the rough pour made it cloudy.

The nose was mostly maple with some subtle barrel notes.

Mouthfeel was solid and exactly what I would expect from a beer of this style.

The first sip of the beer was sweet and mapley but it quickly started reminding me of a peppermint. I'm a bourbon drinker and I could hardly detect the bourbon save the nose. Perhaps the mint flavor I was getting was a mixture of maple and bourbon but it was so much like peppermint that's all I could compare it to.

If you have this drink it now. I doubt more time would do this beer any good.

01-20-2014 02:42:38 | More by McUbermensch