Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

(Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by SeanFlanagan:
SeanFlanagan

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bottle into an oversize Duvel snifter. Did not decant. I like to taste and feel all of the remnants when I taste beer.

A - Pours with what I would describe as zero head. Small ring of bubbles around the rim, zero lacing. Beautiful copper color, almost jewel-like. It's a deeper color than I've seen in any other beer. Gorgeous looking.

S - Wow, there's the bourbon. I had a KBS last night, but this is in another league. Molasses and vanilla hit the nose as well. One could wear this as a cologne and get compliments. Not sure if that's a good thing.

T - First sip is actually far milder tasting that one would expect from the smell. It grows with subsequent sips, though. Characters of hefeweizens shine through, almost in spite of the alcohol. Bananas foster, light maple hit up top, and extremely smooth bourbon finishes and lingers a bit in the aftertaste with the maple. Hints of fig, apricot, and a tiny bit of the charred oak sneaks its way in if you let it linger on the palette. Not as complex a brew as I was expecting, if I'm honest. It's quite sweet, but not as sweet as some other styles can be. Still, if you don't like sweeter beers, you won't like this.

M - Smooth, smooth, smooth. Very light carbonation, but quite syrupy. Has a mouthfeel like a new syrah (that's a wine, people) with some bubbles, if that makes sense to anyone.

D - Almost the polar opposite of a session beer. I've just now finished the glass, and it's been nearly an hour. Now, I'm not normally a fast drinker by any stretch, but I'm usually at least halfway through my second of even the highest ABV brews by this point. Speaking of ABV, the listed 12% can't be right. This is hitting me hard; it has to be up in the 18-19% range.

Overall, it's a solid brew, and probably the best of the style I've had (though limited). It is a hype-driven beer, after all, and Founders seems to know a thing or two about driving hype. While they always deliver in isolation, they never seem to be as good relative to the hype generated on sites like this.

Now that I've had one of the four-pack I picked up, I'll be happy to cellar it away to bring out in a year or so to see how things have conditioned. My impression is that while it's an above-average brew right now, it'll be exceptional after sitting for a bit to mellow out. Especially once the hype dies down and I can taste it in isolation with normalized expectations. Coupled with the extremely limited quantities, dare I say that it's an investment?

03-20-2010 02:46:35 | More by SeanFlanagan

07-13-2014 20:23:28 | More by csxcharlie
jaasen64

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into Founders tulip.

A- Cap comes off with a decent hiss, pours a slightly hazy with a little bit of translucency, orange brown in color with a very thin white head that quickly recedes to a still top, carbonation appears to be fairly low and there's a ton of white sediment chunks floating around even though it's been resting in my cellar for >6 months and I didn't pour the bottom of the beer in. By far not the most physically attractive beer.

S- Maple definitely still comes out fairly strong with a nice oak presence, malty with some underlying dark fruits, a slight bit of citrus that conflicts with the maple a tiny bit, a little bit of acetone. Oxidation is definitely present but overall the nose is holding up with still a strong aroma, decent barrel presence, and complexity.

T- Sweet maple balanced with a nice oak presence, fairly malty, slight bit of citrus, dark fruits come out on the finish with a nice plum presence balancing nicely with the maple. Not as much acetone or oxidation as the nose indicates, nice subtle complexities.

M- Slick, definitely on the flat side, goes down pretty easy without too much alcohol burn.

O- Besides the appearance Nemesis is a pretty good beer that is definitely still holding it's own. Once you get past the insane amount of sediment it's actually quite tasty. The maple barrel adds a nice presence balanced with malty dark fruits. I wouldn't age this much longer as I think it's already falling off but it's still definitely worth drinking.

07-12-2014 23:34:01 | More by jaasen64
vrbulldog22

07-09-2014 21:38:51 | More by vrbulldog22
bladehines

Kentucky

A-Very Amber! Stored this bottle myself for the last 5yrs in a cellar! Lots of sediment! Beautiful color!

S-Very bourbon-esque! Malty sweetness, smells great!!!.

T-WOW bourbon!!!! Very malty as well, balanced, no alcohol after taste. So much bourbon. Very little maple left. If you did a blind taste on this you'd think it was a decent bourbon or a great bourbon with some water added.

M-Heavy body, thick, coats your throat even!

O-I love bourbon and I love this beer! I have tried one every year since I bought them and waited till now to try this one. I bought and stored all of them in a cellar the entire time so I know mine are better then most, and I pored mine in a tulip glass slow so there was very little sediment in the glass. Nice slow pour. So good, too bad it's my last one...

06-30-2014 19:15:34 | More by bladehines
rlee1390

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A-Cloudy amber, not much carbonation, at all, no head either. But at 4+ years old I can't say I'm shocked.

S-Extremely malt heavy. Lots of wheat. Very slight bourbon, some sugary maple is left.

T-Malt heavy, but still balanced even this old. The sugary sweet maple is there. Not much bourbon but some oak is there. But age has left it a tad too sweet.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation rather thick.

O-A tad too sweet. I can only imagine how good this would have been fresh. But I am soo glad to be able to have tried it.

06-26-2014 01:37:29 | More by rlee1390