Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

It is rare that a high alcohol beer makes me want to sip and quaff at the same time, but Nemesis accomplishes this feat. The taste of bourbon screams shot, while the backbone of hops/sweetness of maple says take your time. I would love to have two or three of these beers at one sitting, but the abv makes this desire moot. All in all a fantastic beer. (352 characters)

From the bottle at Brixies. Can a beer be a bourbon/oak bomb, and still be well-balanced? This beer answers that question affirmatively.

Light but muscular malt overlaid with vanilla, wood, oak, some bourbon, and less maple. Thankfully, the bourbon is not overpowering. A little touch of hops are present in the background. The fact that it is a wheatwine rather than a barleywine just lightens the body and flavor profile considerably and makes it even more drinkable.

Half-way through this beer, I had to stop and order some food because I was getting drunk. It is almost too drinkable for a 12% beer. (606 characters)

A-Very Amber! Stored this bottle myself for the last 5yrs in a cellar! Lots of sediment! Beautiful color!

S-Very bourbon-esque! Malty sweetness, smells great!!!.

T-WOW bourbon!!!! Very malty as well, balanced, no alcohol after taste. So much bourbon. Very little maple left. If you did a blind taste on this you'd think it was a decent bourbon or a great bourbon with some water added.

M-Heavy body, thick, coats your throat even!

O-I love bourbon and I love this beer! I have tried one every year since I bought them and waited till now to try this one. I bought and stored all of them in a cellar the entire time so I know mine are better then most, and I pored mine in a tulip glass slow so there was very little sediment in the glass. Nice slow pour. So good, too bad it's my last one... (795 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Lucky enough to get a chance to get a hold of some of this stuff. I had been looking forward to this limited release for a long time.

Pours a translucent copper amber with a small white head. Looks great. The smell is buttery and dominated by maple and bourbon but there is also some oak and alcohol. The smell is very reminiscient of Backwoods Bastard in my opinion. Definitely tastes like a Founders barrel aged beer, very reminiscient of there other barrel aged beers. Taste is exactly what the description of the beer promises. It's like a barleywine (wheatwine) with huge overtones of maple, bourbon and oak. The alcohol is noticeable but I like it that way. Its a warming sipper of a beer. Complaining this beer is too boozy would be like complaining a good glass of bourbon is boozy. Its strong and meant to be sipped and the alcohol is pleasant and warming. For me because I'm a huge fan of barrel aged beers and barleywines are my favorite style it does not get any better than this. The mouthfeel may be my favorite part of Nemesis though. Its thick, creamy, velvety, smooth, warming and most of all comforting. A great evening sipper. It's a shame this will only be brewed once, I could drink them all year long.

Typically I don't like to use phrases like the "the best beer I've ever had". This one is top 5 for sure though. I can't describe how important it is that every fan of barleywines (wheatwines) and other strong ales do everything in their power to get a hold of at least one of these. More of an experience than a beer. (1,544 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer was absolutely stunning. I managed to get just one bottle for myself at Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem Pa. They managed to get 2 cases of this in and by the time I got there there was just one lonely bottle left. Not knowing at the time how great this beer was I was happy to at least get one to try. Now I wish I could have cases of this. I opened this bottle and poured it into a snifter. This was a beauty, the color was hazy and mid toned. The aroma was freakin unbelievable! The bourbon barrel aging gave this gem a great vanilla flavor that just hit you with every sip. Each sip was as good as the first. I can't describe how bummed I am that of all the great beers in the world and they retire this one before I can get more. Its eating me alive knowing I'll probably never get this again. (804 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Nice mahogany hue, with a sticky wispy-pillow foam.

S - Oh my god. This is unfathomably delectable, even by Founders standards. Hugely pleasurable aromas abound; words do not suffice. It smells better than the best maple-drenched Belgian waffles, beyond the aromatic potpourri that wafts from a pipe tobacco store, as fine as any Bourbon or Cognac in the land. HFS. JFC.

T - Phenomenal. Outstanding. Vanilla. Bourbon. Wood. Maple. The most ridiculous. Ticking is done, drinking (and savoring) must commence.

M - Velvety smooth and palpably luxurious.

D - The only thing that surprises me anymore about Founders is when I am less then rabidly enthusiastic about one of their offerings. Phenomenal. (704 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

One of my favorite beers of all time. I have only had it with three years of age on it I never had the beer fresh. It was honestly like drinking candy to me, the flavor was balanced throughout and as it warmed the sweetness seeped out even more than when cold. I honestly believe that its hard to consider a beer based of other people's reviews because everyone is so different that depending on your preferences you might like it/love it/hate it for any beer. So if you're like me and have a massive sweet tooth for sugar goods then this beer is right up your alley! (567 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Sabretooth has Wolverine, The Joker has Batman, I have Founders.

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- A normal pour left a slow forming, 1/2 finger, khaki head. The body was a cloudy, copper-orange-peach with moderate carbonation. The head dropped to a thin film that left wonderful sticky rings on the glass.

S- It's so complex. There's an intial sweetness of fruit with something of a brown sugar and honey mixture (maybe the maple described on the bottle) and a whiskeyish alcohol in the background. The smokiness and vanilla of the bourbon qualities is enhanced with a little warmth.

T- A little Joey Lawrence "Whoa!" My first thought was sweet honey with a great mix of herb-like qualities. There's a touch of spicy hops to bring the sweetness into check. With some warmth there's something of rich, stewed fruits (apricot maybe) with a slight buttery flavor. Again, the bourbon comes through more as the beer warms.

M- It's quite viscus with a bit of a coating sensation. There's a light prickle of carbonation. The most profound feel is of warming alcohol on the throat. It's very present, yet not harsh at all.

D- It's a sipper, but oh so good. This is a "hyped beer" that I think really lives up to expectations. It's a great way to warm a snowy, February day. The only thing holding me back from getting a case of this is my pocketbook and availability. (1,369 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured four ounces in stemmed pinot noir glass. Copper color with medium carbonation - bubbles not tight and foam not whispy. Aromas and Taste: candied yams, creme brulee crust, oak, bourbon, vanilla marshmallow, and pineapple upside-down cake. The maple helps add a silky feel around the lips and I am disappointed to only have one bottle which was shared by three guys. Needless to say, ISO Nemesis. (401 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

A - Light-copper pour. Decent carbonation; half-inch head disappears quickly.

S - So fantastically complex! Boozy with beautiful barrel characteristics typical of Founders--big vanilla along with some roasty char, which is light and pleasant. Caramel, brown sugar and honey, and a bit of oxidation coming out in a distant, subdued sherry-note.

T - Booze and caramel are most forward, honey and barrel characteristics , especially vanilla, follow along with dates and just a hint of maple syrup. Tannins from barrel give a nice dry finish.

M - Light on the palate even with all the boozy sweetness. Infinitely sippable.

Overall - I'm a huge fan of this beer, and while I think it's integrated and cooled down a bit from my last taste ~6 months ago, it's still what most would call "hot". Tiny bit of oxidation adds an interesting component. Would love to set one down for 4-5 years, but I don't think my stash will make it that long. Thanks to Founders for another great offering! (984 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

A-Copper colored...minimal head...looks flat as expected..

S-This has an awesome aroma you do not find often. It took me a while to nail it but it has the tropical Mailibu Rum aroma up front...also a good healthy dose of caramel and vanilla...very unique.

T-Again, I couldn't quite place it but the tropical fruitness combined the booziness gives it a malibu rum flavor dimension...pinneaples. mangos, coconut...it's all there....bit on the coconut...also nice layers of caramel gooeyness and vanilla...

M-Definitely a sipper....low carbonation...full bodied...

D-A very unique and extremely tasty beer. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. (651 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, nicely toned and glowing deep amber, with mahogany highlights thrown in. The slightest ring of head is present--this one's into the millimeters. What is there is pure, crisp, snow white. Some very tiny and slow-moving carbonation bubbles are visible around the edge of the glass, but other than that, movement is difficult to see. When held to the light, has some stormy green tinted areas that remind me of the sky before a nasty storm. It's simple, and may not have much head (though let's be fair, it's a high ABV beer and the slight amount that is there does stick around) but simple is not a negative here. It's clean, crisp, and glowing, and looks really quite excellent.

Smell: The smell is really very unique. Immediately apparent are vanilla, caramel and maple sugar notes, but also a very syrupy quality that reminds me very much of Italian soda. Extremely malty along with this, and they're unsurprisingly quite sugary malts. The alcohol--heavy bourbon, flavored slightly with a vanilla syrup--is also prominent in the nose, but doesn't burn or overwhelm--it's just another one of the flavors blending in to the mix. Some barrel notes are also apparent, particularly oak. There's also a note , albeit more subtle and running underneath many of the others--of crisp red delicious apples. I'm even getting slight coconut and milk notes--very interesting. a slightly salty butterscotch note as it warms.

Taste: The taste on this is absolutely amazing, and like nothing else I've ever had. It's like a mix of molasses, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and above all else maple syrup. Also blended in fairly nicely are heavy banana and coconut notes. Interesting to have the heavy pine, bourbon, and maple notes blending in with tropical fruits, but it works and is superb--I think the vanilla plays a key role in connecting these two distinctly different categories of flavors. A bit of anise as it warms.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is amazing. I noted earlier that there were very few carbonation bubbles--that holds true in the feel, though there is some definitely present carbonation, comprised of miniscule bubbles, giving off a slightly minty, popping feel. The mouthfeel is so well blended that you almost don't want to think of carbonation as carbonation--it becomes seamlessly integrated with the taste to the point where it just seems, well, natural. Medium bodied, chewy, and thick consistency, but not at all hard to get down.

Drinkability: Founders does it again, another solid, excellent, yet very creative brew. I maxed out my 4 bottle limit at the two bottle shops in town that got it in, and I wish I could have got more. With all the syrupy notes I would be concerned that this one might come across as cloying. Oddly enough, as sweet as it is, it doesn't have that problem in the slightest. I'll also say that I'm used to getting a great nose on a brew only to be disappointed in the taste. This one gets better and better. (2,972 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +18%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees and allowed to warm slowly
Super huge thanks to my main man, normyk, for this hook-up!!!
Shared this with Beertracker

This has a deep, golden, copper color to it with some nice ruby tinting. Almost like a sunset in late fall, when the sky kind of looks like it is on fire. There are a decent amount of small 'floaties' in this beer. The head of white, creamy, foam is almost a full fingers worth, but recedes fairly quickly, leaving a surface ring and some spotty surface film. The lacing is good, but the thick, oily, 'legs' on this one are determined to bring that lacing back down to the rest of the drink.

This is an amazing nose! Loads of rich, butterey, caramel malts battle for supremecy with a healthy dose of wheatiness. A good deal of barrel presence. Nice notes of oak and a good dose of vanilla. The maple presence is somewhat muted, but is definitely not too hard to find. Very good hints of bourbon. Some light traces of dark fruits, especially cherries.
Man, does this ever smell delicious!

The taste follows the nose very well. It brings along some light traces of spices and mild hints of molasses. There is a very light hop presence which keeps this from becoming a super sweet malt overdose.
Excellent!

This one shines here, as well. Beertracker and I discussed wheatwines as we consumed this lovely nectar. We are both fans of them, as a style, but share the opinion that they seem to come off as just a touch thin, in general. Nemesis does NOT follow that route. This is probably the best body on a wheatwine that I've yet to encounter.
Nicely full-bodied, just shy of qualifying as 'thick'. The carbonation level is mild-to-medium, making this one very nicely smooth. It also helps to give it a very nice amount of creaminess. This one drinks like velvet.

Okay, the 12.00%abv does provide you with a nice amount of warmth. Fortunately though, you don't really taste the alcohol, just feel it. The flavor is delicious and easy to consume...and definitely left me wanting more!
I'd love to see how this tastes in a year or more. I have an idea that it should age very well. (2,148 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a thick honey color with no existing head.

Smells - sweet maple sugar, Bourbon vanilla, alcohol, oakyness. Its very SEXY!

Taste - Bourbon barrel kick in the beginning and end. I get a wheaty taste in the end as well. The middle shines so beautifully in this one. supper duper sweet with maple, vanilla with a hint of grains. The alcohol is get more present as it warms up.

Mouthfeel. Super thick from all the sweetness. It coats your mouth and throat with each sip. The alcohol is noticeable as it warms but does not dominate.

Overall - this is my first wheat wine and it won't be my last. Its one of my favorite beers of all time now. The only sad part is its an anniversary beer and it may never come back :(. (723 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%

Served in a stemless wine glass. Head is nonexistent but color is beautiful - a "golden amber" if that makes any sense. Smells of booze and raisons with plenty of bourbon, vanilla, and woodiness. This smells fantastic. Taste follows the smell - load of bourbon and vanilla. This stuff is incredible. Mouthfeel is oily and viscous. Drinkability is about perfect for the style. I've only had a handful of wheatwines but this takes the cake and I need to find a way to secure a few more bottles. I'm not sure if Founders intends on continuing to make this but they have a winner here in an underrated style. (604 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

OK, so this was my first wheatwine tasting so it was hard to have anything to compare it to, but either way it was a great beer, not that I expected any different from Founders.
A-A hazy golden orange, light head, with legs
S-Fruity light oaky bourbon smell
T-Wow! definite malt upfront, with some fruit, sizurp, bourbon flavor on the end of the palate, a hint of hop, just barely.
M-Med-Full bodied, carbonation was a medium, made the beer quite refreshing.
D-The only hint of the high ABV was during exhalations after the first few sips, but dang it was good.

I wish this was readily available later in the year, I would love sucking this down out on the screened porch all spring and summer long.
Slainte (709 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Color: pours dark gold. sits a slightly hazy, burnt orange. pours like syrup

Smell: the foundation of a wheat ale is faint in the background, as is some light fruitiness, being overwhelmed by delicious notes of oak, vanilla and sweet bourbon. the slightest hint of maple may be perceived but the sweetness it provides is clear

Taste: oak, vanilla and bourbon up front. warm alcohol is strong and last all the way from mid pallet to finish and even lingers a bit. again, wheat base and fruitiness are shadowed by the immense alcohol and strong cask flavors. maple is faint but the resulting sweetness is definitely noted. hops are mellow and provide just a hint of bitterness. finish is sweet with oak, vanilla and bourbon

Mouthfeel: full bodied and chewy. moderate carbonation

Notes: its Backwoods Bastard meets Pilgrims Dole!! FUCK YEAH! outstanding! be careful though - the booze is obvious and will mess you up lol (922 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Pours a caramel, slightly hazy, very thin head that disappears quickly.

S: the bourbon is huge! Notes of vanilla and oak. Smell reminds me of a Goose Island BCS.

T: the malt is certainly there, again, very nice bourbon flavor, sweet maple syrup shows up along with a touch of vanilla.

MF: a bit syrupy with little carbonation

D: Founder's is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers and this certainly an amazing addition. Grabbing more tomorrow if there are any left! (478 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy orange/amber color with about a half inch off-white head that went away quickly. However, there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is amazing! It smells like bourbon, maple, vanilla, and some butterscotch. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but with some oak and caramel noticable too. Great balance between sweetness and bourbony booziness in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich and a bit coating with decent carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good too, although this is a sipping beer (even though it's hard to sip because I like it so much). I would love to drink more than one of these at a time, but since I was lucky to get a 4-pack I'll have to save the other 3 bottles for later. I think this is a pretty good brew, but then I like bourbon too so I'm a bit biased. Even at $21 a 4-pack, this beer is worth the price. Once again, Founders does a great job and shows why they're one of my favorite breweries. Definitely recommended. (1,061 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

A: A beautiful light amber brown. Very little head, but what is there is white and slowly dissipates to bubbles on the surface. Crystal clear, and very pretty.

S: Wow. Maple is right up front. Bourbon and oak follow with a cloying sweetness in the finish. Picking up a bit of alcohol as well.

T: Oh my. That is just lovely. Starts with oak and maple, then bourbon, vanilla and wheat. Not a lot of hops, but I don't think it's needed. This this is smooth, and graceful, without too much booze flavor.

M: Syrupy, and creamy smooth. Low carbonation, but appropriate for the style.

D: This is so smooth, and so complex. Simple put, this beer is great. (651 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

Bottle poured into my usual tulip glass.

Pours a great orange amber color. The 1/2 finger head fades quickly from the year of age.

The smell is the best part of this beer with smells of bourbon maple and burnt sugar. Simply awesome.

The taste is strongly of bourbon. Tastes similar to Backwoods Bastard in this respect. I wish this was toned down a little bit. The taste of maple and vanilla evens it out a little bit, but not perfectly.

The mouthfeel is great and smooth as can be. No alcohol burn at all.

This is a big beer and could tell right away I had to sip on this for a while. Slight alcohol burn at the end. I wonder how many IBU's were in this one compared to the 100 IBU in the 2010 Nemesis. It seems to be fewer and not as balanced.

I really enjoyed this beer for what it is. At first I thought I would want a lot more of it, and now I think maybe just one more to see how it ages in a few more years would be sufficient.

2013 edit- This beer has aged amzingly and is so much more nuanced and refined. I highly recommend it at this point. (1,061 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - An aggressive pour yields a dense, quarter-inch bone white head. The body is a slightly hazy burnished copper, with lazy carbonation.

S - Rich maple syrup and vanilla leap out of the glass. Beneath, there's an aroma of praline, with hints of honey and banana.

T - Wonderfully complex on the palate, with bourbon coming to the fore. A bit hot, though not unpleasantly so. Sweet maple, vanilla, and nuts, with tastes of banana, coconut, and baked apples with cinnamon. Flavors alternate in waves, keeping this beer very interesting. There's a bit of piney hop flavor, though it's difficult to make out, and an assertive bitterness. The finish is rich, balanced between sweet malt and alcohol.

M - Full and syrupy, with just enough carbonation to prevent a cloying effect.

D - One bottle is enough, but what a bottle it is! A must-try. (874 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

I have a 4 pack but hesitate to open it, I would like them to cellar for a year min. before I break in to them. So when I saw it available at my local FS I was easily swayed considering how difficult it will be to get my hands on any more. I ordered the bottle and let something else to entertain me while I let this come to room temperature over the next hour. It was well worth the wait!

A: Clean copper color. Very small amount of head leaving a ring of lace

S: Cold, like throwing my head in to a bourbon barrel! I Let this warm up for an hour and this opened up with an nice balance of bourbon, vanilla, oak, wheat and some maple

T: Cold, bourbon a bit sweet from the maple, after resting for an hour, balanced beyond my expectations.

M: low carb., smooth and full

D: Because of the av @ 12% I would limit myself, but other than that, I could sip on this for hours next to a fire Of course I recommend letting ti warm in your glass before you decide to have a seat! Good things come to those who wait.

2010.03.17 (1,024 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

I was lucky enough to get a few 4-packs of this when it was released. Founders had this in their barside cooler for a couple of days (2 days? May have been almost a week, actually!) with no purchase limit on number of bottles. when this was fresh, it was probably my favorite beer of all time. It was supposed to be released in December of 2009, but was actually released in March or February of 2010.

I tried this at a friend's again in December of 2010, and it wasn't quite as good. The beer didn't seem as balanced as when it was fresh. It also looked like a snow globe, which was pretty cool!

And now we're sitting in the present, nearly December 2011. This beer was released about 1-3/4 years ago. Oh wow, Nemesis, you have changed.

The beer poured the same golden orange color. Sometimes it makes you think of a dark orange honey. A little bit of light gets let through... more than my memory says it did when less aged. When held up to the light, there are reddish hues. Think tequila sunrise. The beer in my snifter looks like a snow globe, except the snow never settles. There is no head to speak of. I give appearance a 4.5 because I'd like a little head.. I can't remember if it used to have any head or not. I wish I could score this category with a 4.8-4.9, though, since it isn't eeally supposed to have any head.

The nose is strong with maple and wheat. Bourbon is not a dominant characteristic to my nose. As it warms, alcohol is in the nose a little more, reminding me of the fresh stuff.

The taste is again balanced like this beer was when fresh. However, the first thing I notices was the hotness was gone. As I took larger sips, I could detect some of the well-balanced but ever-apparent hotness of fresh Nemesis 2009, but it was very muted. The maple is still very much present. The bourbon flavor is there, but now it is a woodier/oakier bourbon. Now that the glass has warmed, the hotness is getting stronger, but is very balanced. Every sip is a trip back to my first and second and third tastings of this wonderful beer! This section gets a 4.5 only because it isn't quite like the original. Then again, 2 years ago, my palate was much less experienced and I probably had different tastes. I kind of feel like I am cheating this beer!

This beer is sticky, but not as sticky as I remember. I also remember it being a little more viscous in texture. Sadly, I do not recall for sure if I would have considered it syrupy then or not, but after 2 years, it is not. Still a thick mouthfeel, though. I like this in the mouth!

Overall, This beer is fantastic! World-class!! I hope Founders has this at the 15th anniversary party I assume they'll have in 2012. While it was my favorite beer of all time fresh, for some reason I can't say it is AS good now. BUT, this beer has aged wonderfully, and may be better! 2 years of beer drinking has changed me, and the wow-factor of this beer back in early 2010 may be something that is unmatchable, even though I can see many people liking this beer more now. I will also add that now that it is nearly room temperature, it reminds me of a maple wine I had at Black Star Farms (vineyards and winery) in Traverse City/Sutton's Bay/Leelanau County, Michigan. VERY good. I SHOULD give it a perfect 5.0 rating, but will rate it just below. DRINK THIS IF YOU CAN!!!! It is a treat, and changes significantly as it warms. Don't let my flaw of reviewing this beer compared to the fresh version deter you. Fresh, this is my favorite beer of all time. Aged, I think it takes the #2 spot, but is impossible to compare the 2 objectively. Oh Nemesis 2009, how I've missed thee! But you're back, and you're great. (3,674 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Had this at EBF? when it was first out and loved it. Got this in GATM but did not write down the name of the kind BA> Thanks!

A: Deep copper color with a half finger of white head. Really good head retention for the ABV and the style. Quite a bit of floaties in my glass in suspension. Carbonation is visible thanks to the Dogfish super glass.

S: The maple and oak smell nothing short of amazing. Sweet. Oaky, Freshly charred barrels. Little bit of booze. The bourbon comes across nicely. When I had this fresh it was super boozy but this has really calmed down nicely.

T: Starts off with just a barrage of flavors. Sweetness. The oak really works well with everything else going on. The beer is so big the bourbon kind of blends into everything. Really nice warming alcohol. Insanely complex. Get a little charcoal again.

M: Nice and syrupy. Thick and coating. The carbonation is perfect. Gentle while breaking up the viscious body a little bit.

D: More. I blended this with Canadian Breakfast Stout. Founders if you read this blend and release. I love wheat wine. This might be my favorite of all time. Just a totally different beer. (1,144 characters)

Founders Nemesis 2009 from Founders Brewing Company