Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.
4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours a dull, cloudy orange while yielding a thin, short-lived white head.

nose is both fragrant and unique... notes of maple, bourbon, vanilla, a touch of fruit, hops, and some astringency in the background.

more of the same delivered in the flavor. on the sweet side, but nowhere near cloying. still pretty hot and some hoppiness despite 2 years of aging. chewy, medium-full bodied mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

overall, a very nice change of pace. interesting and complex, yet i have to say i think nemesis, even at 12% ABV, is a better beer fresh. sort of a moot point given the status of the beer, unfortunately. (661 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2%

I've has this in my cellar for over 2 yrs. Poured into my 12 oz snifter.

A- Body is a translucent copper hue. Pours with virtually no head-but a thin collar has good retention. Plenty of sediment can be seen settled at the bottom.

S- Nose is complex, but the overall impression is syrupy and sweet. The bourbon sweetness, wheat sweetness, and a good dose of maple. A big lingering booziness is there too.

T- Overall taste is sweet-just like the nose. Lots of maple and bourbon sweetness initially, a lot of honey and wheat as well. The finish is pretty boozy with a lot of alcohol astringency coming through but the oakiness of the barrel kind of rounds it out in the end.

M- Low carbonation and a complex mouthfeel that is slightly syrupy, yet slightly dry. Medium weight overall I guess.

O- Overall thsi is a very good, complex BA wheatwine. Founders (other than KBS and FBS) is one of my favorite brewing companies and contineus to impress me. (952 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours an almost neon cloudy orange with absolutely no head and slight lacing down the glass.

Aroma is very spicy with a lot of booze and heavy caramel malts.

Flavor contains very heavy caramel flavors throughout with a solid heap of booze and some slight citrus flavors.

Very thick and at times cloying, but for the most part it succeeds.

Definitely a sipper, but holding up pretty well. Booze is not hidden well, but the presence is not off putting. (454 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to projectflam86 for this bottle. My 100th review.

A: Pours a a cloudy peach. There are oranges, reds, and yellows all mixing together in this brew. Almost no head. Absolutely no lacing as it drinks.

S: Smells of sweet malt, rubbing alcohol, and nail polish.

T: Starts off with a big blast of acne astringent. There is some malty sweetness in there, some toasted oats, but it's mainly big boozy alcohol. I'm not in the mood for this beer. After two years in a bottle, I figured this beer would mellow out a bit, but it didn't.

M: Sticky and chewy. This beer coats the palate, and lingers forever.

O: Honestly... this beer is gross. I wanted something exciting for my 100th review, but this beer was a huge disappointment. Founders should stick to stouts. They always knock those out of the park. (807 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

bottle poured into large snifter

Pours a hazed cherry auburn color with a thin layering of beige head. Dissolves fairly quick, leaving some wispy clouds of film and a few spots of lacing.

Rich, boozy nose filled with oak, vanilla, and bourbon with a twist of maple syrup. Sweet honey, caramel and bready notes. Dark fruit with raisin and dates.

Warm and sticky up front with layers of rich toasted malt. The oaked bourbon flows throughout the profile with a sublimely smooth sweetness driven by the maple syrup. Honey and caramel add a sticky flavor with some lighter toffee notes. Some softer hints of raisin and dark fruit. Finishes warm and boozy with some lingering vanilla.

Full bodied, lighter carbonation, sticky, syrupy, and velvety on the tongue. I've had this beer at various ages and it continues to evolve...another wonderful brew from Founders. (864 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

I was lucky enough to get a few 4-packs of this when it was released. Founders had this in their barside cooler for a couple of days (2 days? May have been almost a week, actually!) with no purchase limit on number of bottles. when this was fresh, it was probably my favorite beer of all time. It was supposed to be released in December of 2009, but was actually released in March or February of 2010.

I tried this at a friend's again in December of 2010, and it wasn't quite as good. The beer didn't seem as balanced as when it was fresh. It also looked like a snow globe, which was pretty cool!

And now we're sitting in the present, nearly December 2011. This beer was released about 1-3/4 years ago. Oh wow, Nemesis, you have changed.

The beer poured the same golden orange color. Sometimes it makes you think of a dark orange honey. A little bit of light gets let through... more than my memory says it did when less aged. When held up to the light, there are reddish hues. Think tequila sunrise. The beer in my snifter looks like a snow globe, except the snow never settles. There is no head to speak of. I give appearance a 4.5 because I'd like a little head.. I can't remember if it used to have any head or not. I wish I could score this category with a 4.8-4.9, though, since it isn't eeally supposed to have any head.

The nose is strong with maple and wheat. Bourbon is not a dominant characteristic to my nose. As it warms, alcohol is in the nose a little more, reminding me of the fresh stuff.

The taste is again balanced like this beer was when fresh. However, the first thing I notices was the hotness was gone. As I took larger sips, I could detect some of the well-balanced but ever-apparent hotness of fresh Nemesis 2009, but it was very muted. The maple is still very much present. The bourbon flavor is there, but now it is a woodier/oakier bourbon. Now that the glass has warmed, the hotness is getting stronger, but is very balanced. Every sip is a trip back to my first and second and third tastings of this wonderful beer! This section gets a 4.5 only because it isn't quite like the original. Then again, 2 years ago, my palate was much less experienced and I probably had different tastes. I kind of feel like I am cheating this beer!

This beer is sticky, but not as sticky as I remember. I also remember it being a little more viscous in texture. Sadly, I do not recall for sure if I would have considered it syrupy then or not, but after 2 years, it is not. Still a thick mouthfeel, though. I like this in the mouth!

Overall, This beer is fantastic! World-class!! I hope Founders has this at the 15th anniversary party I assume they'll have in 2012. While it was my favorite beer of all time fresh, for some reason I can't say it is AS good now. BUT, this beer has aged wonderfully, and may be better! 2 years of beer drinking has changed me, and the wow-factor of this beer back in early 2010 may be something that is unmatchable, even though I can see many people liking this beer more now. I will also add that now that it is nearly room temperature, it reminds me of a maple wine I had at Black Star Farms (vineyards and winery) in Traverse City/Sutton's Bay/Leelanau County, Michigan. VERY good. I SHOULD give it a perfect 5.0 rating, but will rate it just below. DRINK THIS IF YOU CAN!!!! It is a treat, and changes significantly as it warms. Don't let my flaw of reviewing this beer compared to the fresh version deter you. Fresh, this is my favorite beer of all time. Aged, I think it takes the #2 spot, but is impossible to compare the 2 objectively. Oh Nemesis 2009, how I've missed thee! But you're back, and you're great. (3,674 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2%

I've been saving this for a special occasion. Since my first child was born today, why not. Declan Zane Wayman. 7.11lbs, 21.5".

A: Dark, deep honey in color with tons of floaties. Fairly aggressive pour yields a thin head that quickly receeds. Slight lacing with large bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S: After sitting on this for nearly two years, I'm surprised by the amount of bourbon that's still present. Has a wood-like aroma with something that's almost minty..odd, I don't remember that the first go 'round at all. This is very sweet smelling beer which is probably attributable to the maple barrels.

T: Still pretty hot, but has calmed down a little. Honey, oak and bourbon are out in front and make it hard to tell much else about the beer. I think there's some citrus flavors here from something and also a bready, caramel malt backbone. There's something spicey here, but not sure what exactly to pin it on.

M: Fairly thick and chewy. Gives a warming effect. Slightly sticky.

O: I won't lie, this is a bit of a let down from how I remembered it a couple of years ago, but still a nice, enjoyable beer. It could also be me not keeping it in a reliable cellar until about 7-8 months ago. At any rate, I'm glad I chose this to celebrate the birth of my son. (1,277 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

12 oz bottle from hopsbreath a long time ago. Bottle is dated 2-3-10, making this a shade over 3 years old.

A: Caramel color with a dissipated head. There are some floaties in this bottle and lines of carbonation like a submerged diver.

N: Layers of caramel surrounding vanilla wafers. Bourbon is still noticeable. Syrupy with a rye/pumpernickel breadiness and spice. Oakeness has faded. Candied pecans are prevalent as is brown sugar. In the deep nose, I get a distinct licorice/anise. The first whiff is luxurious, subsequent discoveries are not much. Still quite good, though.
T: Lots of rye and wheat in the body. Bourbon has left a distinct oak and an outline of caramel and bourbon. Surprisingly hoppy - lots of forest floor, and there’s even more oak overlapping any maple notes. Green peppercorn. More licorice and anise. Oxidation is noticeable and expected given its age.

M: Very sticky, but damn this is bone dry. It scrapes the palate like a DIPA, and there is still a lot of alcohol. A lot of alcohol.

O: Another enjoyable brew from Founders, but at 3 years and sparse change, it really should have sweetened. I had a four pack of this, and I’m fairly comfortable in saying this was never my favorite thing and that’s quite alright. Maybe you’ll like it better. (1,291 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Cam's birthday tasting

A-maroon/yellow body with white head that quickly disapates. Sediment floating galore.

S-sweet malts and bourbon

T-sweet bourbon but almost too sweet. I can't make up my mind so we are going with a 3.5 for now but this may cchange

M-medium body and smooth

O-I wish I had this fresh. Would be interesting. (332 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Acquired via trade from ughsmash so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a murky dark gold color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma contains honey, wheat, caramelized malts, and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of honey, bourbon and caramel. Then a hearty malt character comes in along with an alcohol bite that is mild considering the actual ABV. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, very strong kick, good representation of style, this is a nice, very strong beer worth drinking for as long as you can handle it. (883 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2009 bottle poured into a pint glass. Golden orange, slightly hazy, minimal white head. Sweet malts, wheat, maple syrup, and barrel aged booze in the nose.

Wheat & sweet malts with a hoppy backbone. Pretty sweet, almost cloyingly so, but enjoyable to my palate. Boozy on the way down, leaving your throat tingly. Light to medium bodied and surprisingly creamy. Carbonation stings the tongue.

Not my favorite Founders brew but solid nonetheless. (446 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

Dont much care for this at this time. Good aroma and appearance, but the flavor is laking in the like-ability. smells sweet and boozy with a hint of model glue on the finish. Nice golden color and light, slightly fizzy carbonation. Sweet, cheep scotch, ( with a drip of water) aroma with hint of froggy maple dominates the balate, with an unpleasant tannic bitterness on the finish. I drank this trying to find something good, as it is the only Founders beer I have wanted to pour out. This bruiser will go the test of time, but will still be a bruiser in the least. (566 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Stone VE Specialty Glass. 2009 vintage, kept at 49 degrees.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with little head. Little floaties cling to the sides of the glass and settle to the bottom. No lacing on the sides of the glass. Smells of maple, molasses, sweet bourbon, and a bit fruit, maybe cantaloupe or a watermelon...something very sweet...can't really tell. Initial taste is very sweet. Notes of bourbon, caramelized sugars, a small hint of vanilla, and warmth from the alcohol. This one is very thick with limited carbonation. This is definitely a sipper and a good one at that. A good beer, still could be aged for a bit, but is drinking very well right now. A great sipper for a cool, fall night. (722 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Big thanks to Alewatcher for this, much appreciated. Wasn't sure if I'd get to taste this once again, but Alewatcher saves the day. Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - A nice dark orange, with a little brown tint to it. Pretty hazy. Plenty of carbonation leads to a white head that lingers on the sides.

S - Can smell that sweetness from the maple and oak, with a little fruitiness almost, reminds me of a Belgian strong ale in some ways. A earthy tone lingers beyond that. The bourbon smell has faded, leaving the wheatwine and maple to come forward.

T - The wheatwine has really come forward, with that maple sweetness with some oakiness melding with it. Little bourbon heaviness left in the end. Makes me wish how bold this once was with the bourbon, but it's melded into an interesting brew. Just a little too much on the sweet side now.

M - Initial carbonation scared me in the beginning, but calms down and is at a good level. Pretty smooth and easy drinking really, especially considering the abv.

O - Not as good as it was fresh, but still good. The missing bourbon is the missing key to all this, made the brew more bold and assertive. Without the bourbon to even it out, ends up being a little sweet. I'll admit, I'm going to rate the overall based on what it used to be, hope Founders finds a way to make this again sometime. (1,347 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%

Want to thank merlin48 for this sample,was told its hitting its peak about now.

Pours a golden with burnt orange highlights with a small cream colored head falls to ring right away no real lace. Left the floaters in the bottle.

Aroma is big malty with lots of oak, vanilla, bourbon some light maple and alcohol spiciness. Smells like a wonderful fine sipping brew.

Taste is malt lots of vanilla,bourbon barrel goodness and spice from the alcohol. Big and very warming but not like any wheatwine I have had, just big on barrel goodness.

Mouthfeel is strange say only medium must be all the alcohol making feel lighter. Carbonation is nice and mellow making for a nice sipper.

Overall never big a big fan of wheatwines lucky for me this one doesn't taste like a wheatwine. Just big barrel aged goodness here making it a wonderful big alcoholic sipper. (855 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Decided to check in on this one and finally write a review. 12oz bottle poured into my Maudite snifter.

I recall there being a significant amount of floaties in this one the first time around and a resulting overpowering yeast presence. I decided to carefully handle and pour this one to avoid that. A soft pour yields a beautiful clear ruby-amber color with almost no head but some carbonation bubbles are rising from the bottom.

Aroma is big and deep with vanilla, some maple, crisp malt sweetness and a solid alcohol presence. I'm also getting some cooked banana in the background.

Taste opens up with a sharp wheat presence followed up by some caramel sweetness and a mild bitterness. Finish features some maple and some alcohol, but it's really calmed down quite a bit. Thankfully, my efforts to keep the yeast out have made this a much more enjoyable experience.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with minimal carbonation. It has a nice feel for a strong sipping beer. Overall this one doesn't disappoint, though it is definitely a sipper. It's aged quite nicely as I didn't care for it much the first time around, but I think that had more to do with the copious amounts of yeast than anything. (1,201 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Aggressive pour into snifter yields deep golden/honey color, 1/2 finger head that settles into a ring. Minimal lacing. Color is somewhat appealing, but a substantial amount of sediment/floaties makes this appear very unappealing.

This beer redeems itself in the aroma, in which butterscotch, vanilla, banana, and oak abound. Hint of maple. Points deducted for a fairly pronounced solvent character.

Taste is impressive - there is a surprising spicy wheat character that I was not expecting based upon the nose (yeah, I know this is a wheatwine, but it is not apparent in the aroma). This is also much more maple forward than the nose would suggest. Loving the maple. Bourbon character is fairly pronounced, reading primarily as oak and toffee. The main thing keeping this from a world class flavor is a slightly off-putting hint of candied paint-thinner.

Mouthfeel - thicker side of medium bodied. Fairly well carbed, given the high gravity.

Overall -- This beer is more coherent then it was upon release, and I think it still may come together into something world-class. It's got a ways to go, though... Still a little muddled, boozy, and all over the map at this time. As it stands today, it is a unique take on the wheatwine, and an enjoyable treat on occasion, provided you really like bourbon and maple. If you haven't tried this, it's worth a shot. If you've got several in the cellar, pull one out and give it a try, because it's much better than it was a year ago. If you've only got one, I'd sit on it awhile, as it may continue to come together. (1,564 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Thought to myself "self--you've had plenty of Nemesis '10 but never the peculiarly named Nemesis '09." Time to remedy that problem. Thanks to coreyfmcdonald for helping that happen.

pours a dark caramel color with less than an inch of butterscotch head.

Smells like a lot of bourbon, not much of any sort of maple sweetness on the nose.

The taste is primarily three things: bourbon and alcohol up front with some of that maple sweetness coming through on the back end. Not much actual beer flavor coming through but likely a good bit of the malt flavor is overshadowed by the bourbon. Not a bad thing, but it is a sipper. You have to sip slowly to appreciate nuances or it could be a bit on the "hot" side...whatever that means.

On the heavier side of thick. Just a bit of alcohol burn going down the throat.

Overall a bit boozy but tasty nonetheless. Could stand a bit more maple flavor but let's be honest---they're maple BOURBON barrels, and that's what you get. Super glad to get the chance and glad I have another. (1,026 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

from notes shared with DC

been waiting awhile to try this one and a first for the style.

A - pours a light transparent golden honey, with zero retention and minimal bubbles, looks about as good as a beer can without head.

A - smell the booze immediately, hot like a .50 desert eagle, big maple, molasses covered bananas, caramel, alcohol is very warming

T - banana, bourbon, sweet caramel and bourbon taffey flavored candy. candied caramel, with some oak flavor that tries to battle the sweet mexican made candy. or the candy in the khaki bag with hills i think and a fence called werthers (credit dereck) alcohol is very present but not over powering.

Medium mouthfeel, no carbonation very silky and smooth, flows heavily.

O - very good beer, had high expectations that were slightly let down, i expected more of a "wheat" presence but did enjoy the wheat and bourbon combo definitely would like more on a cold evening. (926 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

This was a really nice beer that I had received in trade awhile ago finally glad I opened it up.

This was a great beer it poured with little carbination but reatained a nice semi dark color. Taste of carmel and malts.

This was a sipper for sure if you have a chance to try this please do. (291 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

Been aging this one since it came out. Hopefully some of that heat has faded.

A- Pours a murky orange/copper color with a thin foam head that fades away to nothing. Lots of floaties.

S- Really nice sweet maple syrup in the nose with some caramel and a good dose of bourbon. Things are starting to shape up with this one...

T- I'm not sure if I've ever had a wheatwine before so it's hard to say if this captures the style's quintessential flavors, but I can say that it is tasty. Full flavored with notes of vanilla, caramel, maple syrup, and plenty of bourbon. Very sweet overall.

M- Full bodied and syrupy with very little carbonation.

O- This is a very different brew. I love the bourbon addition and I think the time in the cellar helped to lessen some of the alcohol harshness from the fresh version. (811 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

appearance - beautiful golden orange with what looks to be yeast hanging out inside.

smell - caramel, maple, bourbon, minor traces of wheat ... simple but great

taste - follows the nose with some spices (like cloves but very light)

mouthfeel - silky smooth, drinking like an english barleywine to me

a beautiful way to finish the 8 hour work day in the sun, now for a shower (378 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

I must say, for one of my favorite breweries, brewing a beer style (Wheatwhine) that I love, and doing it all up with maple and bourbon and the hoo ha and the whatnot... I was so stoked for this beer when it came out that I hungrily traded for multiple four packs sight unseen.

The last time I let a little thing like brewery reputation and awesome sounding beer influence me to over-commit before tasting.

This beer has never been particularly good, and it really hasn't improved.

A booze bomb to start, two years in it stills reaks of high alcohol and bourbon in particular. I say "reaks" which makes it sound unpalatable, but it's far from it. It's just a touch harsh. A pleasant enough, even soft, harshness for a snifter of the hard stuff, but to my tastes unacceptably sharp for a beer.

Like the far superior Backwoods Bastard, this has a gorgeous, luscious mouthfeel that in and of itself warms me towards this beer. Despite the heavy accents of booze, this is full, smooth, soft and slightly round. Sweetness is apparent on the palate but finishes nicely dry with a hot, warming chest to follow.

This is so in the range of something spectacular. That it avoids thinness in and of itself with this level of aggressive booze is an accomplishment. But it's still enough straight bourbon notes to make me question if this, or the un-barrel aged version of this beer with a shot of bourbon in it, would be preferable. (1,426 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a snifter.

Orange copper in color with particulates floating throughout. One finger off-white head settles to a layer of foamy bubbles.

Up front are huge bourbon notes, maple, and oak.  I also get some sweet caramel, vanilla, maybe molasses, and a hint of glazed bar nuts.

Big, boozy, warming bourbon smacks you in the face.  This is followed by that maple glaze and more hot booze.  It finishes with a subtle hay and wheat.  It leaves behind lots of bourbon and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, oily, and syrupy.

Overall, what another amazing offering from founders.  These guys know how to age their brews in bourbon barrels!  I can't imagine how hot this must have been fresh.  Grab it if you can find it. (742 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

BIG thanks to ottodyer for hooking me up with this bottle. No date on the bottle but I believe it was ~July 2009. Enjoyed on 07/20/11.

A - 12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours a just slightly hazy bright gold/orange color with no head and no lacing at all. To be expected from a wheatwine, looks pretty good.

S - Wow, very interesting. Lots of maple sap, pine, almost a minty aroma with the sweetness of the wheat and the bite of the alcohol and vanilla from the barrel works very well.

T - Sweet wheatwine throughout with layers of different flavors to compliment it. Even after two years, this beer is still quite hot, but it works. The maple is quite evident and the barrel aging just adds some complexity that most wheatwines lack. The maple and vanilla just work with each other so well on top of the wheat and alcohol, this is excellent.

M - Mouthfeel is good. Very little carbonation but it's not too thick at all.

O - Overall, this is by far the best wheatwine I've had. Both beers in the Nemesis series have been exemplary. Great stuff from Founders. (1,067 characters)

Founders Nemesis 2009 from Founders Brewing Company