1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

(Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010)
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours an orange/copper color. Absolutely no head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Initial smell was sweet maple smell, than sugar or fruit, followed by bourbon. Also smells of vanilla and a little oak. Great mixture.

t - Again the first taste was smooth maple syrup, followed by vanilla, and then bourbon kicks in at the end. Also some tastes of oak and malts evident. A nice combination.

m - Pretty thick and bull bodied, with little carbonation. Despite being a little hot from the bourbon, actually pretty easy to drink.

d - Overall I liked this beer a lot. I think it is a great combination of maple syrup/sugar, vanilla, and bourbon in both smell and taste. It has a sweet taste up front, but it isn't too sweet, and soon your'e hit with and bourbon taste, which is mellowed out a little by the vanilla. I would definitely have this again and I think with a little time on it for the bourbon to mellow even more, this could be an amazing beer.

mdfb79, Mar 04, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Served in a chalice around 50 degrees.

Pours a cloudy, viscous, medium apricot to copper in color. A Creamy, tightly compacted head sits atop this one. I'm actually surprised by the "brightness" of this one in my glass. The head retains for a good time with small compact bubbles creeping their way to the top, when they see fit.

Wow, what a fantastic smell. Some beers take you to another planet, and this one does! I get a heavenly mix of fresh maple syrup, warm and inviting booze and a light nuttiness, almost like pecan. I can tell by the nose that this going to be a real treat.

Bourbon booze, maple, caramel, other sweet malt esthers abound. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, try this one. It's not overwhelmingly sweet at the same time. The bourbon presence missed with intermittent bitterness breaks up the sweetness. This monster is very complex and enjoyable. I can sip on this all night.

I wish they brewed this right before Thanksgiving so I could have enjoyed it with a fresh slice of pecan pie. Definitely in the top 3 of best beers of 2010 for me (so far).

@ Founder - Why must this only be brewed once? Life is not fair...

beachbum1975, Mar 04, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

I was excited to get one of these along with two other craft beers for a kate the great (yes it was a legit and great trade..abyss and sexual chocolate) I was going to save this for a while but after much consideration.. I needed to try it. Bottle is from 2009. Initial pour gave way to relatively no head what-so ever. Copper in color. The smell is absolutely amazing. Smells of sweet fruit.. almost like a fruit roll up.. oddly enough. There are also scents of caramel. At 12 percent the alcohol is rather non existent in the nose. knowing it was aged in maple bourbon barrels i am able to smell undertones of bourbon. Taste.. pretty good..nothing to really write home about. I felt as though the taste did not really reflect the smell at all. Its rather bitter and woodsy. As for mouthfeel... slightly carbonation.. finishes kind of rough.
I could drink maybe one or two snifters of these then sadly i feel id get bored with it.

Do I suggest... ehh.

alkchrios, Mar 04, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

A- nice head comes forth from a good hard pour. Solid inch of billowy white head that settles to a simple haze. Orange yellow in color. Super clear and clean.
S- subtle maple and booze, sweet and hot. Very tempting. Some deeper complexities but very hard to pin point.
T- very nice stuff not nearly as heavy on the maple as some of the others founders has done. Sweet but not candy hot but not boozy to the max. Hops are deep in there but by no means a player. This is all about underplayed maple barrel and green wheat wine, and I love it.
M- viscous and coating. A smooth and silky wash over the tongue that almost sticks but then a bit of fizz picks it up and moves it along.
D- well this is a big one at 12 percent and very green it does show its abv. Not to say I didn't like it but it might improve with a bit of time as long as that sweetness can hold on. Thanks to onix1agr for the spltskys.

oglmcdgl, Mar 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

WOW! What a beer. Got this on recommendation from the Beer & Liquor manager at our local grocery... and it was phenomenal.

Appearance was dismal- it pours dead with absolutely no head. It's about as exciting as pouring water in the glass.

Smell- average, smells like a the dim wheat wine that it is made from.

Taste- as good as it gets. It has a sweet dark maple flavor that is unlike anything I've ever had. Towards the end, you start to get that slightly unpleasant bourbon kick, but it keeps the sweet bourbon taste without the harsh kick. Some of the best I've ever had.

Mouthfeel- feels like a wine. Not too great, but surely pleasant that doesn't pop or stand out.

Drinkability- absolutely splendid. I feel like I could have the entire six pack in one night... but that would denounce how enjoyable this beer really is. Get one if you can find one to know what I'm saying.

samiam32, Mar 04, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

A-Copper colored...minimal head...looks flat as expected..

S-This has an awesome aroma you do not find often. It took me a while to nail it but it has the tropical Mailibu Rum aroma up front...also a good healthy dose of caramel and vanilla...very unique.

T-Again, I couldn't quite place it but the tropical fruitness combined the booziness gives it a malibu rum flavor dimension...pinneaples. mangos, coconut...it's all there....bit on the coconut...also nice layers of caramel gooeyness and vanilla...

M-Definitely a sipper....low carbonation...full bodied...

D-A very unique and extremely tasty beer. One of the best beers I have had in awhile.

ZAP, Mar 03, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a very thick and glurpy mass into my glass. An incredibly thick, slow-moving white head emerges and rises to fill the glass, like a meringue on top of pie. Looks good but after several minutes this recedes into no head whatsoever with light speckled lacing up the glass. The beer is a deep golden orange, rich and enticing. Pretty clear with some slight haze, but overall quite nice.

Aroma is alcohol sweet dominated by bourbon, sweet sugar, vanilla oak and honey notes. Surprisingly it isn't sickeningly sweet, but definitely a luscious dessert-like beer. Powerful notes of vanilla, oak, and bourbon come through in all sides of the beer - cold, warm, early, late, etc.

Taste is also strongly toward the sweet and strong. Slightly spicy up front followed by solid alcohol sweetness in the middle followed by subtle caramel and honey flavors. I don't get much maple flavor in the beer which goes to show how dominant the other characters are: bourbon, some oak, some honey notes, and underlying spiciness.

Mouthfeel is OK. Pretty thick, high viscosity with subtle burn from the alcohol. Drinkability isn't bad for the strength of the beer but it's also pretty one-sided in its sweet, alcohol qualities. I prefer a wheat wine that's more balanced with a rounder balance of flavors.

NoLiberty, Mar 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

wow. i've owned four of these for the past month now, and i couldn't get myself to drink one. i just kept getting such positive feedback that i wanted to just save them for a special occasion. then i realized i was an idiot and needed to actually try one for myself. pours a dark amber hue, with a thin, almost non-existent white? head. intense lacing. the smell is sweet and complex. first you get sweet fruit with vanilla and sugar, then it ends with lovely smells of bourbon. unbelievable flavor! BOOM vanilla BOOM bourbon BOOM maple syrup BOOM alcohol warmth balanced absolutely perfectly with the fruitiness of the wheat wine. i mean perfectly! i couldn't be happier. toffee and caramel as it warms. bold and brilliant. it would be too sugary sweet without the fruit. mouthfeel is creamy and rich. thickness. balance and beauty. it's a sipper. EDIT: This beer is not aging well IMO. It's not getting bad, it's just losing some attractive qualities that made is so god damn good. reminds me of a bourbon soaked grapefruit with little maple character now.

backfat, Mar 01, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Price is a little steep but a local store sells in single bottles so my curiosity got the best of me and for $5.99 i picked up a single bottle... Drank from a snifter and the aroma blew me away... The taste was amazing and left a tingle on the gums due to the moderately high alcohol content but overall this is one of the best I have had and another triumph from Founders... More recently a local bar was selling for $7 a bottle and when I went in to pick up a couple for the weekend they cut me a break and ended up with a 4-pack for $14... Drank one alone to remember the flavor and shared two with brother in law and he should be aging the last one for later... NOT imptessed with 2010

misfit1034, Feb 28, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours an amber color with hints of red. Slightly hazy with no head to speak of.

When I took a sniff of this beer while in the bottle, there was a pretty decent maple aroma, however upon pouring into my chalice, the aroma was predominately bourbon, oak and vanilla.

The flavor is overwhelmingly bourbon-like. Additionally there are some traditional barleywine-ish flavors consisting of s strong malt presence as well as some oakiness and residual maple flavors. The finish is quite bitter, Founder's really must have upped the hop content to contend with the overall bourbony, sweet character of this beer, leading to a fairly well balanced brew, which has quite a bit of alcohol presence overall, although should improve and mellow out with some age.

Wow, this beer is a real experience. More bourbon forward than probably any beer I've had, aside from Backwoods Bastard. As is, this beer is incredibly complex and intensely flavored. Right now, there is a ton of heat, but I can only imagine it's potential with a year or two on it.

Soneast, Feb 28, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

I got this one courtesy of my local beer store guy who wanted me to try it before I sunk 20 bucks on the 4 pack. It paid off because I plan on going back and picking more up. Pours a beautiful ruby gold with a sparse head that quickly drops to a few swirls floating on top. The smell is a little overwhelming. Boozy, smoky, ripe fruit and a whiff of alcohol that burns the back of your nose. Its interesting but a bit messy and had me concerned about the flavor. Those concerns left immediately upon the first sip. This is one of the most interesting, complex, and wonderful flavors I have ever experienced. Tropical fruit ride on top of a oakiness which lingers. Coconut flavors dominate after the initial sweetness of the ripe fruits with only hints of the maple, but enough that it is noticeable and welcome. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly syrupy but there is enough carbonation to keep it from being too sticky. Definitely a sipper, and more than one would be overdoing it I think, but I highly recommend seeking it out and trying it for yourself. A truly unique and wonderful brew.

Godot, Feb 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Aquired this as an extra from Alewatcher, thanks Jeff! Poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy orange, amber color. Little to no head, just a ring of white bubbles around the outside of the glass. Smells of bourbon, maple, vanilla, did I mention bourbon? Taste is all things previously mentioned. Sweet, very boozy. Whiskey is the predominating flavor. Wow, this is a very big beer. I like it, but don't think I would have more than one in an evening. A sipper for sure. Makes me want to light a good maduro cigar to puff while I enjoy this very complex offering from Founders.

Sideswipe, Feb 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Hazy light amber coloring with lots of sediment. Color comparable to an IPA. Head is very weak with very minimal lacing. Guessing that with the high abv and the bourbon barrel aging that this is expected.

S: Bourbon hits you full force with notes of honey. Oh yeah! The bourbon is very prominent. Brings back memories of the last Buffalo Trace I had. So that would mean notes of vanilla and molasses. It is still pretty cold and I am being blasted with delicious smells!

T: Bourbon is a little more subdued in the taste. The molasses and vanilla with maybe a touch of caramel are very evident. Very sweet like a bourbon but with a touch of hop bitterness.

M: Very warming alcohol. You can feel the heat a few minutes after each sip. Carbonated very nicely. Very subdued which is good for this one.

D: I just give a bit of a hit on drinkability. As lovely as this beer is I will probably be ready for something else after one. Much like the Backwoods Bastard I had.

Props to Blake for having these stashed in the back. I was surprised to know they still had 3 bottles left. This is also my first Wheatwine. I am curious as to what a normal non barrel aged one tastes like. Great find. Great beer.

generalnotsew, Feb 28, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Gorgeous color, infused and filled with light. A red-orange sunrise. Crystal clear, pristine and beautiful.

S-Crème brûlée, sugary bourbon. Oak. Sweet sweet booze. Intoxicating by smell alone.

T-This is beer candy. Vanilla, bourbon, a sugary sweet dessert. Maple syrup. I can't get enough.

M-Bit of a bourbon, boozy sting. A beer meant to be savored and sipped.

D-My roommate and I keep coming back for more. I only ever have one in a setting, but I crave it again the next day. I'm going to miss this brew once it's gone.

sullenbee, Feb 28, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer pours a red-orange color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within a couple seconds into almost absolutely no lacing. That seems to be common with beers aged in bourbon barrels. The aroma is strong. There is a lot of dark fruit, caramel, flowers, oak, and the right amount of bourbon. There is a lot going on here, but it is all in harmony. I really like the floral aspect. The taste is really hot. Once I get used to that I can detect caramel, more bourbon than there is in the aroma, not as many floral notes, more oak, no fruit. I like this taste, but it is nowhere near as harmonious as the aroma. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Very nice feel. Overall, if this beer tasted the way it smelled it would be one of the all time greats on my list. Unfortunately, whereas the aroma is a harmonious blend of strong smells, the taste is a bunch of in-your-face flavors that work together but have no real grace. I like this beer, but it ends there.

KarlHungus, Feb 28, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A thin layer of foam quickly collects itself on the edges. It's a murky enough brown to look for sediment, and a close inspection does reveal some. I'm impressed, in fact, with how a relatively light brown disguises so many floaties.

Maple and bourbon invade the nose...and they're good. This has GOT to be the same bourbon as is used in the other Founders bourbonites. It's like a cross between a Backwoods Bastard and an Old Curmudgeon. It's a Backwoods Curmudgeon on top of Aunt Jemima. What will be next?

I'm inexperienced with wheat wines and, without being previously informed, I'd identify this as a maple-bourbon old ale. The taste is just like the smell, and I'm actually left wondering what the wheat does. More bubbles would improve the feel. I assume this is bottle-conditioned, and this one might mature like a beautiful woman if tendered appropriately.

It's big and badass, but I feel like a 12oz offering ought to be an easy single serving. This is NOT an easy single serving. Though deliciously sweet and warming, it drinks as such. Again I plead ignorance about wheatwine nuances, but this one sips more like a cognac than a beer.

marvin213, Feb 27, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A: A beautiful light amber brown. Very little head, but what is there is white and slowly dissipates to bubbles on the surface. Crystal clear, and very pretty.

S: Wow. Maple is right up front. Bourbon and oak follow with a cloying sweetness in the finish. Picking up a bit of alcohol as well.

T: Oh my. That is just lovely. Starts with oak and maple, then bourbon, vanilla and wheat. Not a lot of hops, but I don't think it's needed. This this is smooth, and graceful, without too much booze flavor.

M: Syrupy, and creamy smooth. Low carbonation, but appropriate for the style.

D: This is so smooth, and so complex. Simple put, this beer is great.

Beejay, Feb 27, 2010

This beer poured a cloudy dark amber color and formed a small off white head that left trace lace as it subsided. A medium amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, wheat/grain, and perfume. A flavor of malt, wheat, pepper and some other subtle aspects not present in other wheat wines that may reveal themselves with aging. The body was medium light and slightly bitter finish. It could use some aging and a slightly lower price.

Wildman, Feb 27, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Hazy orange-amber body. Moderate egg-shell head with only the slightest bit of retention. Spotty lacing coats the glass.

S: Potent. Bourbon. Maple. Oak. Vanilla. Caramel. Massively sweet and boozy.

T: Surprisingly delicate compared to the nose. The nose had the strength of a freshly poured shot of bourbon. The taste, while not losing the complexity of the nose, manages to not burn through my tongue and mouth. Lively bourbon notes come in towards the front, with the syrup and malt sweetness filling up the middle, before the bourbon and booze returns to round out the back end.

M: Hefty body with assertive carbonation. Nice, light booze burn in the finish doesn't let you off the hook.

D: Surprisingly drinkable compared to expectations from the nose. There are lots of flavors here that go well here. Coming in I thought this might be a bit gimmicky but this is a well crafted brew.

callmemickey, Feb 27, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy orange/amber color with about a half inch off-white head that went away quickly. However, there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is amazing! It smells like bourbon, maple, vanilla, and some butterscotch. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but with some oak and caramel noticable too. Great balance between sweetness and bourbony booziness in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich and a bit coating with decent carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good too, although this is a sipping beer (even though it's hard to sip because I like it so much). I would love to drink more than one of these at a time, but since I was lucky to get a 4-pack I'll have to save the other 3 bottles for later. I think this is a pretty good brew, but then I like bourbon too so I'm a bit biased. Even at $21 a 4-pack, this beer is worth the price. Once again, Founders does a great job and shows why they're one of my favorite breweries. Definitely recommended.

bluejacket74, Feb 27, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Cloudy, little head retention, dark amber colored with floating particulates

Smell: heavy on the bourbon and alcohol smells like an oatmeal raisin butterscotch cookie with a hint of maple.

Taste: This is unlike any beer I've tried before. There is a definite bourbon taste here, with vanilla and sharp oak tastes. There is also a sense of eating a monster cookie when drinking this. There is a salty, butterscotch chip and raisin taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full and intense. Heavy alcohol, but rich and thick.

Drinkability: It tastes unlike anything I've had, so for that I applaud Founders, but I couldn't drink a lot of it.

happilysurly, Feb 26, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

When I heard this was coming out, I had to have it. I have a serious thing for wheatwines, and a bourbon barrel aged, maple wheatwine? Have to have it and I feared ther would be no chance. Then kpruim01 strapped on his plate mail, got on his trusty steed and made this beer happen for me. In debted, my friend.

A: This pours out a syrupy liquid. The colors are brown, red and orange. It varies depending on how much light is hitting it. The body is slightly hazy with minimal carbonation movement flowing. The body is lighter than I expected, you can see throw and light gets through the hazy body. The pour doesn't seem like there will be a head at all to form, but it slowly builds a very thin, white, bubbled ring. Very small and minimal.

S: Smell is great. Just a huge amount of bourbon and wood. Has that deep bourbon and vanilla aroma. The maple is very nice and heavily present as well. Getting a little bit of caramel on the back end. It doesn't sound like much but its great. The bourbon aroma is just spot on and I think the nose would fool bourbon drinkers. Fantastic.

T: Boozy goodness but not out of control. All the bourbon flavor but without crazy bourbon alcohol. Don't get me wrong, this has an alcohol flavor but its not out of hand. Rich vanilla flavors coming out from the oak. Caramel makes an appearance along with a really nice, but light breadiness. The maple syrup rounds it out with some rich, sweetness. Its sweet but not too sweet, and boozy but not too boozy.

M: Full bodied with a light carbonation. Just a nice and heavy brew. Coats and sits on the palate wonderfully. This beer wants you to know what it has to offer. ABV is present with a really nice warmth in the throat and belly. Just warms you right up. Aftertaste is all bourbon goodness that just hangs on so wonderfully long.

D: Uh . . . this beer is amazing. I was really expecting this beer to be too much. I was afraid the bourbon and booze would be too out of hand. I was afraid the sweetness would be too much. But . . . its not. This beer is incredibly crafted and works on every level for me. I just hope I can get more to see how this ages. With that said, its great fresh. Founders killed it with this beer. I wouldn't want to knock back several of these in a sitting because one is enough. But that bottle is so drinkable and easily enjoyed. It just amazing.

everetends, Feb 26, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Just received this brew from Gibby. This beer was in town but I didn't get the opportunity to grab any. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Appearance- Pours a murky orange reddish with a small quarter finger white head even with an aggressive decant. A super thin collar remains without much of a cap and zero lacing.
Smell- Loads of bourbon and milky vanilla seem to explode out of the beer from the barrels. Maybe a touch of maple and caramelized sugars with a somewhat buttery toffee thing. A bit of booze and sweetness are evident along with a light dark fruity aspect. Raisins and figs mostly but the aroma is most definitely dominated by the barrels.
Taste- Not as intense as the nose led me to believe but there's still a lot of flavor in here. A fairly intense bitterness to start that is somewhat citric and somewhat earthy. Think lemon zest and grass. Lots of caramel and toffee add a trivial amount of sweetness. The oak is lightly tannic and fairly prevalent as it adds more of that vanillin I got in the nose. A bit of alcohol mixes in throughout most of the beer and I don't really get anything that screams maple. The bourbon and oak are almost too overpowering to let everything else going on shine.
Mouthfeel- Nice full body with a sort of light creaminess and fairly aggressive carbonation. Good stuff.
Drinkability- Pretty darned good stuff. I think it may still be a bit young right now as the alcohol is still fairly evident and it may be just slightly too bitter yet. Once everything meshes together a bit more I'm going to dig the shit out of this beer. Thanks much Jeff, you rock!!

younger35, Feb 26, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Received a couple of these as extras from the great eyebrews

A: golden color with a nice whispy head that leaves good lacing. it is quite cloudy as well

S: Initial note is of sweet wheat and some banana yeasty easters then comes the maple bourbon, although it is not as pungent as i thought it would be. Some hints of wood and oak are noticeable but i found the esters to be the dominant smell

T: The maple and bourbon comes through nicely and there is a nice sweetness due to the wheatwine, but it lack that "it" quality. I enjoyed it but i wasnt in love with the taste.

M: Nice creamy body with a subtle bit of heat noticeable

D: A slow sipper. I enjoyed the bottle over the course of almost two hours and afterwards didnt really need another one

mikey711, Feb 25, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Served at 45 degrees and poured into a snifter.

A: Wow, pours a beautiful clear rich copper color with a small white head and nice bubbly carbonation.

S: I think we have a winner here. I smell Bourbon and Maple in that order and it is absolutely wonderful, hints of oak and vanilla rise as the beer warms. The barrel aging dominates the smell.

T: Heavenly, I think was the first word that came to mind, the sweetness of the Maple Syrup and the Oak from the Bourbon compliment each other perfectly. Vanilla, Banana, Orange, Alcohol and subtle spice come through and finishes dry with a nice warming from the alcohol. This was just a spectacular beer that I certainly took my time to savor.

M: Nice mouthfeel here, perfect carbonation allowed the complexity to really shine.

D: Average here, the barrel aging provides a very forward Bourbon flavor that makes this a sipper. As it warms the alcohol becomes more forward, I could have had more that 1 but I would prefer to sip on 1 over a long period of time. Age will certainly tame the bourbon and I can see my rating in this category increase over time.

Hands down this is one of the best beers I have ever had from Founders. I would only rank KBS ahead of this one. I highly recommend seeking this one out.

Thank you Founders!