Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

(Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010)
2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

Nice extra in a trade...

A: Nothing special on the look. No head with a pink / copper murky color.

S: Smells of wine, oak, sugars with maple on the backend. Smells pretty good.

T: Super boozy! Even after it warms. Not getting much else but a rubbing alcohol type flavor. Mixed in the middle are slight bitter hops with very subtle port, oak, and maple flavors on the backend. Way too boozy. All the flavors are hidden.

M: Leaves your mouth dry immediately as if you were drinking straight vodka.

D: Goes down hard because it's like drinking hard liquor straight.

All in all, I'm not quite sure why this brew is so highly regarded. Not worth hunting unless you are looking for a hard liquor tasting brew. Otherwise, if you need hops or malts, this is not your beer. Many more that are far superior in this style. BIG disappoinment.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours into my New Holland pint glass hazy brown/red with no head at all. Swirling around in the glass gives a tiny bit of soapscum, but nothing significant. Some chill haze in the glass. Considering the ABV, this is pretty much as-expected.

Smells strongly of wheat malt, crisp and clean, with a slight grainy quality. Significant alcohol astringency, hints of hops buried deep.

Taste is amazing, rich deep notes of malted wheat with hints of spicy undertones. The alcohol really starts to burn as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is thick, with a significant carbonation that stings the tongue.

Drinkability fairly high, nice and smooth (even if it could use a bit of aging) but is this really worth the effort to obtain. New Holland's Pilgrim's Dole is just about as good and much more readily available.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish head snifter. This beer pours a dark copper honey with just a slight 1-inch head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing. This feature rather surprises me. Bottle presented at 43 degrees (thank you Johnson Controls) but no head whatsoever. No lacing. The aroma is huge. Massive vanilla notes, ripe apples, a bit of hand crafted maple syrup, brown sugar, a bit of bourbon and lots of booze. The flavor is just as dynamic with fresh extracted vanilla bean leading off. Bourbon is secondary, almond, sweet malts, brown sugar, fresh oak, and just a bit of overly toasted bread. At 12% they do a good job of covering the booze but its still overly hot. I can see why they Founders intends this beer to age. I think I'm going to have to revisit Nemesis in a year or two to see how it holds up. The mouthfeel is silky smooth. They really nailed it. Creamy; leaving a wonderful, vanilla/bourbon flavor coating the mouth. I'm really shocked at the complexity of this beer. I know Founders was looking for uniqueness and they really nailed it. Don't know if I have ever had a beer quite like this one. Unfortunately, its just too boozy for me. Nemesis definitely needs some time to smooth out those rough edges. This could definitely be the next Bell's Batch 7000.

4.68/5  rDev +13%

$3.59 at Jacks for a 12oz bottle. A Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine. Aged for 9 months, evidently in a cave. 12% ABV. 71 IBU's.

Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange medium amber, forming a creamy white head with average retention and spotty lacing. Carbonation is very mild with a viscous pour. The aroma can be noted from an arms-length. Maple syrup up front, with lots of fruity esters, a suggestion of bourbon, sweet dark fruits like figs and dates, and when swirled, a nice mix of woodsy herbal hops and even light roast coffee and milk chocolate are evident. Wonderful aroma...very complex, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is oily, smooth, dense and rich with a warming in the gut as it goes down. The taste is wonderful...it's a recap of the aroma, yet it's not as rich as one would expect. Vanilla and cookies in the middle. It's wonderfully balanced, with a lingering pleasant mild bitterness. There is the suggestion of oxidation, with a faint newspaper note in the finish and some slight fusels, but considering the way this was made, it's at an acceptable level. As it warms, the vanilla, bourbon, and maple really open up.

An exceptional beer. I would highly recommend this one. Well worth it. Kudos to Founders as always for making the best beer in Michigan, bar none.

Thanks to krtman for hooking me up with this brew!!

A - Golden, honey-like color with decent head that dissipates into a ring of thin white foam around the ring the edge of the glass.

S - Smells of honey, vanilla, bourbon, alcohol. Really intriguing. Lots of vanilla!! I have never had a beer smell like this and it begs to be tasted. Probably the best part of the beer for me.

T - The taste follows the smell. Loads of vanilla, honey, bourbon and alcohol. Sweet but fairly balanced. Very interesting and complex. The alcohol comes on a bit strong towards the end and as it warms.

M - Slightly syrupy. Good carbonation.

D - I'm having a difficult time getting this big beer down. Couldn't have more than 1 of these in a night.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A - pours a golden light copper with a white head that dissipates quicy

S - smells of bourbon, molasses, and hints of vanilla

T - I was instantly hit with sweet malts and loads of maple. This fades into some awesome bourbon taste. There is a lot of malt backbone as well as some vanilla. The maple and bourbon mix really well in this to create a sweet, bourbony brew.

M - mouthfeel is very smooth and medium-bodied

D - this is a fantastic brew. Not having a wheat wine before, I don't know what to compare this to, but this is obviously way more than a wheat wine. I love the bourbon, but the maple really shines in this. I am glad I was able to try this. I wonder how this will settle after some time.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a four-pack being held for me at From the Vine down in Columbus. Been excited to try it and as a side note, if you're in the area, stop by From the Vine. Picked up a lot of goodies there lately, including Black Tot.

Appearance- Pours a translucent shade of burnished copper into my New Belgium snifter. Half a finger or so of creamy beige head rises off the beer, dies down to a thin coating, and then sticks around for the rest of the drink. Mild lacing left as well.

Smell- A lot going on here. Strong notes of maple, bourbon, deep vanilla, and wood are most easily detectable. Smells quite sweet with the maple richness lending a unique quality to other smells I'm used to detecting in bourbon barrel aged beers.

Taste- Very complex, very sweet, and not a drop of alcohol detectable in this one. Again a rich overlay of maple and bourbon barrel flavors. Syrup, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and something that I can't quite put my finger on. Almost a slight peat or smokiness, not really sure where I'm getting it though. Flavorful and very sweet, though not unbearably so.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick and smooth with just enough carbonation to keep such a rich and sweet beer moving. Though a sipper, drinkability is also surprisingly high given the ABV and sweetness.

Overall, very impressed. Founders really knows how to use a barrel, and I enjoyed this one.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

I just picked up a 4-pack for $20.99 in Columbus. Popped the cap as soon as I got home, and holy crap but this is better than I expected. The beer is lightly hazy, pale orange-amber color, with about 1.5 fingers of off-white foam that recede to a thin film. The aroma is off-the-charts good, full of yeastie esters and notes from the barrel aging. The predominant aroma is a light maple syrup, but there's a faint bit of bourbon in there along with toffee, sweet malts, molasses, and strong esters.

The taste is just as captivating as the smell. After the first few sips I called my store to reserve another 4-pack, there's no way I'm gonna pass by the chance to drink as much of this as possible. Esters and phenols are all over the base beer, and this is about the best touch of barrel aging that I've tasted to data. The bourbon is there but added with a light touch, the maple seems predominant and is delicious. A light alcohol burn in the aftertaste reminds me that this has some potency.

The body is somewhat thick for a wheat wine, and along with the alcohol burn makes me believe this might benefit a little from aging. If I can hold off on drinking them. This is among the best Founders beers I've tried, very good.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours an orange/copper color. Absolutely no head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Initial smell was sweet maple smell, than sugar or fruit, followed by bourbon. Also smells of vanilla and a little oak. Great mixture.

t - Again the first taste was smooth maple syrup, followed by vanilla, and then bourbon kicks in at the end. Also some tastes of oak and malts evident. A nice combination.

m - Pretty thick and bull bodied, with little carbonation. Despite being a little hot from the bourbon, actually pretty easy to drink.

d - Overall I liked this beer a lot. I think it is a great combination of maple syrup/sugar, vanilla, and bourbon in both smell and taste. It has a sweet taste up front, but it isn't too sweet, and soon your'e hit with and bourbon taste, which is mellowed out a little by the vanilla. I would definitely have this again and I think with a little time on it for the bourbon to mellow even more, this could be an amazing beer.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Served in a chalice around 50 degrees.

Pours a cloudy, viscous, medium apricot to copper in color. A Creamy, tightly compacted head sits atop this one. I'm actually surprised by the "brightness" of this one in my glass. The head retains for a good time with small compact bubbles creeping their way to the top, when they see fit.

Wow, what a fantastic smell. Some beers take you to another planet, and this one does! I get a heavenly mix of fresh maple syrup, warm and inviting booze and a light nuttiness, almost like pecan. I can tell by the nose that this going to be a real treat.

Bourbon booze, maple, caramel, other sweet malt esthers abound. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, try this one. It's not overwhelmingly sweet at the same time. The bourbon presence missed with intermittent bitterness breaks up the sweetness. This monster is very complex and enjoyable. I can sip on this all night.

I wish they brewed this right before Thanksgiving so I could have enjoyed it with a fresh slice of pecan pie. Definitely in the top 3 of best beers of 2010 for me (so far).

@ Founder - Why must this only be brewed once? Life is not fair...

2.98/5  rDev -28%

I was excited to get one of these along with two other craft beers for a kate the great (yes it was a legit and great trade..abyss and sexual chocolate) I was going to save this for a while but after much consideration.. I needed to try it. Bottle is from 2009. Initial pour gave way to relatively no head what-so ever. Copper in color. The smell is absolutely amazing. Smells of sweet fruit.. almost like a fruit roll up.. oddly enough. There are also scents of caramel. At 12 percent the alcohol is rather non existent in the nose. knowing it was aged in maple bourbon barrels i am able to smell undertones of bourbon. Taste.. pretty good..nothing to really write home about. I felt as though the taste did not really reflect the smell at all. Its rather bitter and woodsy. As for mouthfeel... slightly carbonation.. finishes kind of rough.
I could drink maybe one or two snifters of these then sadly i feel id get bored with it.

Do I suggest... ehh.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

A- nice head comes forth from a good hard pour. Solid inch of billowy white head that settles to a simple haze. Orange yellow in color. Super clear and clean.
S- subtle maple and booze, sweet and hot. Very tempting. Some deeper complexities but very hard to pin point.
T- very nice stuff not nearly as heavy on the maple as some of the others founders has done. Sweet but not candy hot but not boozy to the max. Hops are deep in there but by no means a player. This is all about underplayed maple barrel and green wheat wine, and I love it.
M- viscous and coating. A smooth and silky wash over the tongue that almost sticks but then a bit of fizz picks it up and moves it along.
D- well this is a big one at 12 percent and very green it does show its abv. Not to say I didn't like it but it might improve with a bit of time as long as that sweetness can hold on. Thanks to onix1agr for the spltskys.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

WOW! What a beer. Got this on recommendation from the Beer & Liquor manager at our local grocery... and it was phenomenal.

Appearance was dismal- it pours dead with absolutely no head. It's about as exciting as pouring water in the glass.

Smell- average, smells like a the dim wheat wine that it is made from.

Taste- as good as it gets. It has a sweet dark maple flavor that is unlike anything I've ever had. Towards the end, you start to get that slightly unpleasant bourbon kick, but it keeps the sweet bourbon taste without the harsh kick. Some of the best I've ever had.

Mouthfeel- feels like a wine. Not too great, but surely pleasant that doesn't pop or stand out.

Drinkability- absolutely splendid. I feel like I could have the entire six pack in one night... but that would denounce how enjoyable this beer really is. Get one if you can find one to know what I'm saying.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

A-Copper colored...minimal head...looks flat as expected..

S-This has an awesome aroma you do not find often. It took me a while to nail it but it has the tropical Mailibu Rum aroma up front...also a good healthy dose of caramel and vanilla...very unique.

T-Again, I couldn't quite place it but the tropical fruitness combined the booziness gives it a malibu rum flavor dimension...pinneaples. mangos, coconut...it's all there....bit on the coconut...also nice layers of caramel gooeyness and vanilla...

M-Definitely a sipper....low carbonation...full bodied...

D-A very unique and extremely tasty beer. One of the best beers I have had in awhile.

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a very thick and glurpy mass into my glass. An incredibly thick, slow-moving white head emerges and rises to fill the glass, like a meringue on top of pie. Looks good but after several minutes this recedes into no head whatsoever with light speckled lacing up the glass. The beer is a deep golden orange, rich and enticing. Pretty clear with some slight haze, but overall quite nice.

Aroma is alcohol sweet dominated by bourbon, sweet sugar, vanilla oak and honey notes. Surprisingly it isn't sickeningly sweet, but definitely a luscious dessert-like beer. Powerful notes of vanilla, oak, and bourbon come through in all sides of the beer - cold, warm, early, late, etc.

Taste is also strongly toward the sweet and strong. Slightly spicy up front followed by solid alcohol sweetness in the middle followed by subtle caramel and honey flavors. I don't get much maple flavor in the beer which goes to show how dominant the other characters are: bourbon, some oak, some honey notes, and underlying spiciness.

Mouthfeel is OK. Pretty thick, high viscosity with subtle burn from the alcohol. Drinkability isn't bad for the strength of the beer but it's also pretty one-sided in its sweet, alcohol qualities. I prefer a wheat wine that's more balanced with a rounder balance of flavors.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

wow. i've owned four of these for the past month now, and i couldn't get myself to drink one. i just kept getting such positive feedback that i wanted to just save them for a special occasion. then i realized i was an idiot and needed to actually try one for myself. pours a dark amber hue, with a thin, almost non-existent white? head. intense lacing. the smell is sweet and complex. first you get sweet fruit with vanilla and sugar, then it ends with lovely smells of bourbon. unbelievable flavor! BOOM vanilla BOOM bourbon BOOM maple syrup BOOM alcohol warmth balanced absolutely perfectly with the fruitiness of the wheat wine. i mean perfectly! i couldn't be happier. toffee and caramel as it warms. bold and brilliant. it would be too sugary sweet without the fruit. mouthfeel is creamy and rich. thickness. balance and beauty. it's a sipper. EDIT: This beer is not aging well IMO. It's not getting bad, it's just losing some attractive qualities that made is so god damn good. reminds me of a bourbon soaked grapefruit with little maple character now.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Price is a little steep but a local store sells in single bottles so my curiosity got the best of me and for $5.99 i picked up a single bottle... Drank from a snifter and the aroma blew me away... The taste was amazing and left a tingle on the gums due to the moderately high alcohol content but overall this is one of the best I have had and another triumph from Founders... More recently a local bar was selling for $7 a bottle and when I went in to pick up a couple for the weekend they cut me a break and ended up with a 4-pack for $14... Drank one alone to remember the flavor and shared two with brother in law and he should be aging the last one for later... NOT imptessed with 2010

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours an amber color with hints of red. Slightly hazy with no head to speak of.

When I took a sniff of this beer while in the bottle, there was a pretty decent maple aroma, however upon pouring into my chalice, the aroma was predominately bourbon, oak and vanilla.

The flavor is overwhelmingly bourbon-like. Additionally there are some traditional barleywine-ish flavors consisting of s strong malt presence as well as some oakiness and residual maple flavors. The finish is quite bitter, Founder's really must have upped the hop content to contend with the overall bourbony, sweet character of this beer, leading to a fairly well balanced brew, which has quite a bit of alcohol presence overall, although should improve and mellow out with some age.

Wow, this beer is a real experience. More bourbon forward than probably any beer I've had, aside from Backwoods Bastard. As is, this beer is incredibly complex and intensely flavored. Right now, there is a ton of heat, but I can only imagine it's potential with a year or two on it.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

I got this one courtesy of my local beer store guy who wanted me to try it before I sunk 20 bucks on the 4 pack. It paid off because I plan on going back and picking more up. Pours a beautiful ruby gold with a sparse head that quickly drops to a few swirls floating on top. The smell is a little overwhelming. Boozy, smoky, ripe fruit and a whiff of alcohol that burns the back of your nose. Its interesting but a bit messy and had me concerned about the flavor. Those concerns left immediately upon the first sip. This is one of the most interesting, complex, and wonderful flavors I have ever experienced. Tropical fruit ride on top of a oakiness which lingers. Coconut flavors dominate after the initial sweetness of the ripe fruits with only hints of the maple, but enough that it is noticeable and welcome. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly syrupy but there is enough carbonation to keep it from being too sticky. Definitely a sipper, and more than one would be overdoing it I think, but I highly recommend seeking it out and trying it for yourself. A truly unique and wonderful brew.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Aquired this as an extra from Alewatcher, thanks Jeff! Poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy orange, amber color. Little to no head, just a ring of white bubbles around the outside of the glass. Smells of bourbon, maple, vanilla, did I mention bourbon? Taste is all things previously mentioned. Sweet, very boozy. Whiskey is the predominating flavor. Wow, this is a very big beer. I like it, but don't think I would have more than one in an evening. A sipper for sure. Makes me want to light a good maduro cigar to puff while I enjoy this very complex offering from Founders.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Hazy light amber coloring with lots of sediment. Color comparable to an IPA. Head is very weak with very minimal lacing. Guessing that with the high abv and the bourbon barrel aging that this is expected.

S: Bourbon hits you full force with notes of honey. Oh yeah! The bourbon is very prominent. Brings back memories of the last Buffalo Trace I had. So that would mean notes of vanilla and molasses. It is still pretty cold and I am being blasted with delicious smells!

T: Bourbon is a little more subdued in the taste. The molasses and vanilla with maybe a touch of caramel are very evident. Very sweet like a bourbon but with a touch of hop bitterness.

M: Very warming alcohol. You can feel the heat a few minutes after each sip. Carbonated very nicely. Very subdued which is good for this one.

D: I just give a bit of a hit on drinkability. As lovely as this beer is I will probably be ready for something else after one. Much like the Backwoods Bastard I had.

Props to Blake for having these stashed in the back. I was surprised to know they still had 3 bottles left. This is also my first Wheatwine. I am curious as to what a normal non barrel aged one tastes like. Great find. Great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Gorgeous color, infused and filled with light. A red-orange sunrise. Crystal clear, pristine and beautiful.

S-Crème brûlée, sugary bourbon. Oak. Sweet sweet booze. Intoxicating by smell alone.

T-This is beer candy. Vanilla, bourbon, a sugary sweet dessert. Maple syrup. I can't get enough.

M-Bit of a bourbon, boozy sting. A beer meant to be savored and sipped.

D-My roommate and I keep coming back for more. I only ever have one in a setting, but I crave it again the next day. I'm going to miss this brew once it's gone.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer pours a red-orange color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within a couple seconds into almost absolutely no lacing. That seems to be common with beers aged in bourbon barrels. The aroma is strong. There is a lot of dark fruit, caramel, flowers, oak, and the right amount of bourbon. There is a lot going on here, but it is all in harmony. I really like the floral aspect. The taste is really hot. Once I get used to that I can detect caramel, more bourbon than there is in the aroma, not as many floral notes, more oak, no fruit. I like this taste, but it is nowhere near as harmonious as the aroma. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Very nice feel. Overall, if this beer tasted the way it smelled it would be one of the all time greats on my list. Unfortunately, whereas the aroma is a harmonious blend of strong smells, the taste is a bunch of in-your-face flavors that work together but have no real grace. I like this beer, but it ends there.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

A thin layer of foam quickly collects itself on the edges. It's a murky enough brown to look for sediment, and a close inspection does reveal some. I'm impressed, in fact, with how a relatively light brown disguises so many floaties.

Maple and bourbon invade the nose...and they're good. This has GOT to be the same bourbon as is used in the other Founders bourbonites. It's like a cross between a Backwoods Bastard and an Old Curmudgeon. It's a Backwoods Curmudgeon on top of Aunt Jemima. What will be next?

I'm inexperienced with wheat wines and, without being previously informed, I'd identify this as a maple-bourbon old ale. The taste is just like the smell, and I'm actually left wondering what the wheat does. More bubbles would improve the feel. I assume this is bottle-conditioned, and this one might mature like a beautiful woman if tendered appropriately.

It's big and badass, but I feel like a 12oz offering ought to be an easy single serving. This is NOT an easy single serving. Though deliciously sweet and warming, it drinks as such. Again I plead ignorance about wheatwine nuances, but this one sips more like a cognac than a beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

A: A beautiful light amber brown. Very little head, but what is there is white and slowly dissipates to bubbles on the surface. Crystal clear, and very pretty.

S: Wow. Maple is right up front. Bourbon and oak follow with a cloying sweetness in the finish. Picking up a bit of alcohol as well.

T: Oh my. That is just lovely. Starts with oak and maple, then bourbon, vanilla and wheat. Not a lot of hops, but I don't think it's needed. This this is smooth, and graceful, without too much booze flavor.

M: Syrupy, and creamy smooth. Low carbonation, but appropriate for the style.

D: This is so smooth, and so complex. Simple put, this beer is great.

Founders Nemesis 2009 from Founders Brewing Company