Founders Nemesis 2009 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

(Beer added by: WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
generalnotsew

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Hazy light amber coloring with lots of sediment. Color comparable to an IPA. Head is very weak with very minimal lacing. Guessing that with the high abv and the bourbon barrel aging that this is expected.

S: Bourbon hits you full force with notes of honey. Oh yeah! The bourbon is very prominent. Brings back memories of the last Buffalo Trace I had. So that would mean notes of vanilla and molasses. It is still pretty cold and I am being blasted with delicious smells!

T: Bourbon is a little more subdued in the taste. The molasses and vanilla with maybe a touch of caramel are very evident. Very sweet like a bourbon but with a touch of hop bitterness.

M: Very warming alcohol. You can feel the heat a few minutes after each sip. Carbonated very nicely. Very subdued which is good for this one.

D: I just give a bit of a hit on drinkability. As lovely as this beer is I will probably be ready for something else after one. Much like the Backwoods Bastard I had.

Props to Blake for having these stashed in the back. I was surprised to know they still had 3 bottles left. This is also my first Wheatwine. I am curious as to what a normal non barrel aged one tastes like. Great find. Great beer.

02-28-2010 07:12:33 | More by generalnotsew
sullenbee

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Gorgeous color, infused and filled with light. A red-orange sunrise. Crystal clear, pristine and beautiful.

S-Crème brûlée, sugary bourbon. Oak. Sweet sweet booze. Intoxicating by smell alone.

T-This is beer candy. Vanilla, bourbon, a sugary sweet dessert. Maple syrup. I can't get enough.

M-Bit of a bourbon, boozy sting. A beer meant to be savored and sipped.

D-My roommate and I keep coming back for more. I only ever have one in a setting, but I crave it again the next day. I'm going to miss this brew once it's gone.

02-28-2010 06:35:13 | More by sullenbee
KarlHungus

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer pours a red-orange color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within a couple seconds into almost absolutely no lacing. That seems to be common with beers aged in bourbon barrels. The aroma is strong. There is a lot of dark fruit, caramel, flowers, oak, and the right amount of bourbon. There is a lot going on here, but it is all in harmony. I really like the floral aspect. The taste is really hot. Once I get used to that I can detect caramel, more bourbon than there is in the aroma, not as many floral notes, more oak, no fruit. I like this taste, but it is nowhere near as harmonious as the aroma. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Very nice feel. Overall, if this beer tasted the way it smelled it would be one of the all time greats on my list. Unfortunately, whereas the aroma is a harmonious blend of strong smells, the taste is a bunch of in-your-face flavors that work together but have no real grace. I like this beer, but it ends there.

02-28-2010 01:13:31 | More by KarlHungus
marvin213

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A thin layer of foam quickly collects itself on the edges. It's a murky enough brown to look for sediment, and a close inspection does reveal some. I'm impressed, in fact, with how a relatively light brown disguises so many floaties.

Maple and bourbon invade the nose...and they're good. This has GOT to be the same bourbon as is used in the other Founders bourbonites. It's like a cross between a Backwoods Bastard and an Old Curmudgeon. It's a Backwoods Curmudgeon on top of Aunt Jemima. What will be next?

I'm inexperienced with wheat wines and, without being previously informed, I'd identify this as a maple-bourbon old ale. The taste is just like the smell, and I'm actually left wondering what the wheat does. More bubbles would improve the feel. I assume this is bottle-conditioned, and this one might mature like a beautiful woman if tendered appropriately.

It's big and badass, but I feel like a 12oz offering ought to be an easy single serving. This is NOT an easy single serving. Though deliciously sweet and warming, it drinks as such. Again I plead ignorance about wheatwine nuances, but this one sips more like a cognac than a beer.

02-27-2010 20:16:07 | More by marvin213
Beejay

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A: A beautiful light amber brown. Very little head, but what is there is white and slowly dissipates to bubbles on the surface. Crystal clear, and very pretty.

S: Wow. Maple is right up front. Bourbon and oak follow with a cloying sweetness in the finish. Picking up a bit of alcohol as well.

T: Oh my. That is just lovely. Starts with oak and maple, then bourbon, vanilla and wheat. Not a lot of hops, but I don't think it's needed. This this is smooth, and graceful, without too much booze flavor.

M: Syrupy, and creamy smooth. Low carbonation, but appropriate for the style.

D: This is so smooth, and so complex. Simple put, this beer is great.

02-27-2010 06:05:05 | More by Beejay
Wildman

This beer poured a cloudy dark amber color and formed a small off white head that left trace lace as it subsided. A medium amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, wheat/grain, and perfume. A flavor of malt, wheat, pepper and some other subtle aspects not present in other wheat wines that may reveal themselves with aging. The body was medium light and slightly bitter finish. It could use some aging and a slightly lower price.

02-27-2010 05:46:23 | More by Wildman
callmemickey

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Hazy orange-amber body. Moderate egg-shell head with only the slightest bit of retention. Spotty lacing coats the glass.

S: Potent. Bourbon. Maple. Oak. Vanilla. Caramel. Massively sweet and boozy.

T: Surprisingly delicate compared to the nose. The nose had the strength of a freshly poured shot of bourbon. The taste, while not losing the complexity of the nose, manages to not burn through my tongue and mouth. Lively bourbon notes come in towards the front, with the syrup and malt sweetness filling up the middle, before the bourbon and booze returns to round out the back end.

M: Hefty body with assertive carbonation. Nice, light booze burn in the finish doesn't let you off the hook.

D: Surprisingly drinkable compared to expectations from the nose. There are lots of flavors here that go well here. Coming in I thought this might be a bit gimmicky but this is a well crafted brew.

02-27-2010 03:19:10 | More by callmemickey
bluejacket74

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy orange/amber color with about a half inch off-white head that went away quickly. However, there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is amazing! It smells like bourbon, maple, vanilla, and some butterscotch. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but with some oak and caramel noticable too. Great balance between sweetness and bourbony booziness in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich and a bit coating with decent carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good too, although this is a sipping beer (even though it's hard to sip because I like it so much). I would love to drink more than one of these at a time, but since I was lucky to get a 4-pack I'll have to save the other 3 bottles for later. I think this is a pretty good brew, but then I like bourbon too so I'm a bit biased. Even at $21 a 4-pack, this beer is worth the price. Once again, Founders does a great job and shows why they're one of my favorite breweries. Definitely recommended.

02-27-2010 00:27:14 | More by bluejacket74
happilysurly

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Cloudy, little head retention, dark amber colored with floating particulates

Smell: heavy on the bourbon and alcohol smells like an oatmeal raisin butterscotch cookie with a hint of maple.

Taste: This is unlike any beer I've tried before. There is a definite bourbon taste here, with vanilla and sharp oak tastes. There is also a sense of eating a monster cookie when drinking this. There is a salty, butterscotch chip and raisin taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full and intense. Heavy alcohol, but rich and thick.

Drinkability: It tastes unlike anything I've had, so for that I applaud Founders, but I couldn't drink a lot of it.

02-26-2010 23:00:00 | More by happilysurly
everetends

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

When I heard this was coming out, I had to have it. I have a serious thing for wheatwines, and a bourbon barrel aged, maple wheatwine? Have to have it and I feared ther would be no chance. Then kpruim01 strapped on his plate mail, got on his trusty steed and made this beer happen for me. In debted, my friend.

A: This pours out a syrupy liquid. The colors are brown, red and orange. It varies depending on how much light is hitting it. The body is slightly hazy with minimal carbonation movement flowing. The body is lighter than I expected, you can see throw and light gets through the hazy body. The pour doesn't seem like there will be a head at all to form, but it slowly builds a very thin, white, bubbled ring. Very small and minimal.

S: Smell is great. Just a huge amount of bourbon and wood. Has that deep bourbon and vanilla aroma. The maple is very nice and heavily present as well. Getting a little bit of caramel on the back end. It doesn't sound like much but its great. The bourbon aroma is just spot on and I think the nose would fool bourbon drinkers. Fantastic.

T: Boozy goodness but not out of control. All the bourbon flavor but without crazy bourbon alcohol. Don't get me wrong, this has an alcohol flavor but its not out of hand. Rich vanilla flavors coming out from the oak. Caramel makes an appearance along with a really nice, but light breadiness. The maple syrup rounds it out with some rich, sweetness. Its sweet but not too sweet, and boozy but not too boozy.

M: Full bodied with a light carbonation. Just a nice and heavy brew. Coats and sits on the palate wonderfully. This beer wants you to know what it has to offer. ABV is present with a really nice warmth in the throat and belly. Just warms you right up. Aftertaste is all bourbon goodness that just hangs on so wonderfully long.

D: Uh . . . this beer is amazing. I was really expecting this beer to be too much. I was afraid the bourbon and booze would be too out of hand. I was afraid the sweetness would be too much. But . . . its not. This beer is incredibly crafted and works on every level for me. I just hope I can get more to see how this ages. With that said, its great fresh. Founders killed it with this beer. I wouldn't want to knock back several of these in a sitting because one is enough. But that bottle is so drinkable and easily enjoyed. It just amazing.

02-26-2010 05:53:09 | More by everetends
younger35

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Just received this brew from Gibby. This beer was in town but I didn't get the opportunity to grab any. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Appearance- Pours a murky orange reddish with a small quarter finger white head even with an aggressive decant. A super thin collar remains without much of a cap and zero lacing.
Smell- Loads of bourbon and milky vanilla seem to explode out of the beer from the barrels. Maybe a touch of maple and caramelized sugars with a somewhat buttery toffee thing. A bit of booze and sweetness are evident along with a light dark fruity aspect. Raisins and figs mostly but the aroma is most definitely dominated by the barrels.
Taste- Not as intense as the nose led me to believe but there's still a lot of flavor in here. A fairly intense bitterness to start that is somewhat citric and somewhat earthy. Think lemon zest and grass. Lots of caramel and toffee add a trivial amount of sweetness. The oak is lightly tannic and fairly prevalent as it adds more of that vanillin I got in the nose. A bit of alcohol mixes in throughout most of the beer and I don't really get anything that screams maple. The bourbon and oak are almost too overpowering to let everything else going on shine.
Mouthfeel- Nice full body with a sort of light creaminess and fairly aggressive carbonation. Good stuff.
Drinkability- Pretty darned good stuff. I think it may still be a bit young right now as the alcohol is still fairly evident and it may be just slightly too bitter yet. Once everything meshes together a bit more I'm going to dig the shit out of this beer. Thanks much Jeff, you rock!!

02-26-2010 02:19:24 | More by younger35
mikey711

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Received a couple of these as extras from the great eyebrews

A: golden color with a nice whispy head that leaves good lacing. it is quite cloudy as well

S: Initial note is of sweet wheat and some banana yeasty easters then comes the maple bourbon, although it is not as pungent as i thought it would be. Some hints of wood and oak are noticeable but i found the esters to be the dominant smell

T: The maple and bourbon comes through nicely and there is a nice sweetness due to the wheatwine, but it lack that "it" quality. I enjoyed it but i wasnt in love with the taste.

M: Nice creamy body with a subtle bit of heat noticeable

D: A slow sipper. I enjoyed the bottle over the course of almost two hours and afterwards didnt really need another one

02-25-2010 23:15:00 | More by mikey711
pmoore311

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Served at 45 degrees and poured into a snifter.

A: Wow, pours a beautiful clear rich copper color with a small white head and nice bubbly carbonation.

S: I think we have a winner here. I smell Bourbon and Maple in that order and it is absolutely wonderful, hints of oak and vanilla rise as the beer warms. The barrel aging dominates the smell.

T: Heavenly, I think was the first word that came to mind, the sweetness of the Maple Syrup and the Oak from the Bourbon compliment each other perfectly. Vanilla, Banana, Orange, Alcohol and subtle spice come through and finishes dry with a nice warming from the alcohol. This was just a spectacular beer that I certainly took my time to savor.

M: Nice mouthfeel here, perfect carbonation allowed the complexity to really shine.

D: Average here, the barrel aging provides a very forward Bourbon flavor that makes this a sipper. As it warms the alcohol becomes more forward, I could have had more that 1 but I would prefer to sip on 1 over a long period of time. Age will certainly tame the bourbon and I can see my rating in this category increase over time.

Hands down this is one of the best beers I have ever had from Founders. I would only rank KBS ahead of this one. I highly recommend seeking this one out.

Thank you Founders!

02-25-2010 17:21:23 | More by pmoore311
beeronesse

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

I have a tendency to gush so I'll do my best to hold back here, though I must say that this is an extraordinary beer, for more than one reason. (Second of two reasons: the Founders lads have once again created a completely new style, if you will.)

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my favorite vessel: a Duvel goblet.

I poured it vigorously; I like taking risks! But I knew this had been aged a while so what the heck? The color is gorgeous; a deep reddish copper. Some head, didn't last long and nice lacing.

Glorious, seductive and very inviting nose. Bourbon, vanilla, sweet biscuit, deep, dark plummy fruit.

At first, I was like, what am I tasting? My first sip was cold; I like to experiment taste with temperatures and this one definitely deserves some time in the glass. Big bourbon note, vanilla, sweet biscuit, banana?, subtle maple, a touch of coriander and oakey/woody notes.

Mouth feel is nice but then I like/enjoy oilier beers. It is slightly oily/unctuous in a very pleasant way. I took my time with this and as time passed and any slight carbonation elapsed it was almost like a Sherry. The alcohol was very present when it was cold but as it warmed the booziness diminished. Outstanding.

02-25-2010 07:04:05 | More by beeronesse
tofrvrmbrcthesun

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Rich, coppery tint with a ruby tinge. Minimal head, with only a slight lacing around the glass.

S: Strong, almost overpowering smell of bourbon, with oak and vanilla and citrusy hops behind it. There's a lot going on, but much of it seems masked by the warmth of the booze.

T: Bourbon, bourbon, bourbon. There is a subtle sweetness that comes through towards the end, the maple set into vanilla, but it's almost overpowered by the boozey smell. The flavor is outrageously delicious and complex, but it's uncanny how much this tastes like bourbon.

M: Thick and chewy, with a slippery feel to it.

D: It's delicious, but this is definitely a sipper to savor. The presence of booze is reminiscent of beers with much higher ABVs, like World Wide Stout. I don't think I'd enjoy more than one in a sitting.

Overall, a highly respectable brew, but I'm not sure I could enjoy something like this more than once in a great while

02-25-2010 03:48:22 | More by tofrvrmbrcthesun
techfed87

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a neat, concentrated head.

Color is a mix of amber and gold, with fine particulate suspended within.

Smell is semi-sweet, although even that is muted to a point. The faint hint of sugary maple is present.

First sip is definitely a mix of differing and unique flavors. There is a maple presence in the flavor, although an almost bourbony flavor is ontop of that, so it's kind of confusing. It's got a strong, bitter core, that is surrounded by a pleasant softer maple aroma, which mellows the beer in a very nice way. It makes it much more drinkable and adds to the beer's overall character in ways that are very intricate.

What can I really say: this beer is an amazing thing. It's an ease to drink, a pleasure to taste, and a site to behold. A very very VERY good showing by Founders.

02-25-2010 03:12:49 | More by techfed87
glid02

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head that quickly subsides into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells like a barrel-aged beer should - loads of bourbon and vanilla notes with lighter amounts of butterscotch. Also present are sweeter malt aromas however I'm not sure I would guess it was a wheatwine from the smell alone.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet malts with mild biscuit flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by vanilla and butterscotch notes. Midway through the sip hints of heavy molasses join in and carry through to a surprisingly bitter ending. As the beer warms the bourbon flavors are tempered a bit however they really never fade.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with light and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I certainly enjoyed this beer and will definitely revisit it again however I can't imagine tasting a barrel-aged wheatwine much better than this (both a good and bad thing). Big ups to Founder's for pushing the barrel-aged envelope although I'm unsure how much further it can be pushed.

02-25-2010 02:11:29 | More by glid02
Lunch

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on-tap at NotB/EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Nice grade of a dark, golden copper capped with a slight off-white head. Looks a bit oily.

S: Pungent aroma of bourbon/whiskey with tons of oak and vanilla. Citrus undertones and a bit of hops. The maple is there, but it is subtle.

T: Complex flavor profile with a fairly sweet candied bourbon/whiskey surrounded by wood and vanilla. Citrus is there as is some honey and caramel. The maple is subtly distributed throughout and adds yet another level of complexity. Alcohol is definitely there.

M: Fuller-bodied and somewhat oily, with some heat from the booze.

D: For a 12% abv. BA beer, this one drinks quite nicely, but the alcohol is certainly not hidden completely.

Wheatwines certainly are an interesting style and Founders does a great job here adding a nice bourbon/maple barrel-aging quality to the mix. Recommended.

02-24-2010 15:44:17 | More by Lunch
manahansf

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a slightly hazy copper and orange color crowned with a creamy, one-finger white head. The head gives off a bold vinous aroma with complex hints of vanilla and maple. The flavor is even more complex! The thick viscous body and low carbonation allow the drink to flow slowly and smoothly. Big bourbon flavor with a sweet background slowly evolves into a more vinous taste with sudden flashes of vanilla and maple syrup. The finish warms and continues the cameo appearances of the complex aged flavors. The finish is very slow and lingers as it warms your core. Yum.

02-24-2010 14:46:36 | More by manahansf
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

thanks kpruim01!

pours a very murky brown copper. very little head at all and very light retention.

huge oak and vanilla up front just smack you in the face. light bourbon and maple with a touch of citrus.

very smooth overall. the bourbon really comes out with lighter oak and vanilla. the maple really makes its presence at the finish. lots of booze, a bit much.

very creamy and full with a bit of chew. the body looks a bit thin but it is everything but. nice carbonation mixed with alcohol really numb the gums.

this was a treat, i could see myself drinking far more of this but at 12%, 1 at a time.... i have a hard time seeing this age however the maple could begin to stand out as the other flavors cool down.

02-24-2010 01:04:25 | More by hooliganlife
Buebie

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

After weeks of searching I hit pay dirt yesterday and finally found a 4 pack of this.

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter. A hard pour produces a smallish off white head, settling quicly to leave a collar of retention.
Color is a glowing, hazy, not at all transparent amber orange. Plenty of floaties in there too. Looks great.

Aroma is off the charts, with a large amount of wood, vanilla, somthing resembling an oak aged bourbon barrel. Smelling strongly of sweet rich caramel malt and maple.

Taste is quite sweet, a blasting of sweet unfermentables in there, keeping booze at bay. It is warm, but not hot or cloying. Sweet honey butter flavors providing a rich complex brew. Maple vanilla flavors, along with lightly toasted wood, malt is shinning through brilliantly. Juicy floral hops bitter lightly into the finish with flavors of pine and mango.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation.
Finishing smooth and sweet with lingering wood, hops and sweet nectar of malt.
This is dangerously drinkable.

02-23-2010 19:39:36 | More by Buebie
WesWes

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

The beer pours a cloudy orangish color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice mix of wood and maple that compliments a warm wheat malt aroma. The bourbon barrel aroma is pretty intense; very nice. The taste is good. It has a damn tasty wheat and maple flavor with excellent barrel aging. The malt bill is light, meaning it's basically pale wheat malts, bisquit, and Munich malts. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. The drinkability is great! The maple and bourbon hide the alcohol well and make this a very complex and highly drinkable wheat wine.

02-23-2010 11:45:47 | More by WesWes
jsh420

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

bottled 2/3/10

pours cloudy amber with a 1 finger white head that had good retention fades to film and left no lacing

smells just like it should bourbon maple carmel vanilla but its just not that strong

taste - while the nose doesnt pack the punch i thought it would the taste does - sweet candy maple bourbon and booze - this beer reminds me of old curmudgeon if it was aged in maple bourbon barrels

mouthfeel - feel thin at first then this slick brew coats the mouth and leaves lots of heat from the booze

drinkability - well this beer is a sipper - i think this beer will only get better as it ages - right now just too hot

02-23-2010 03:02:22 | More by jsh420
JToad

Indiana

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured straight from the bottle into my Michelob Celebrate goblet.

It pours a hazy leather brown, minimal lacing and even less carbonation.

Smells of Maple and Nutmeg, Vanilla and Bourbon mixed in there as well. Pretty faint all things considered.

Syrupy smooth, Bitterness on the sides, vanilla cream in the back. Hops are noticeable,

Starts off thin, but finishes full and viscous.

Very complex and interesting, but I find myself asking if I enjoy it, to which I must say no I really don't. I'm pretty disappointed, as I love everything Founder's has done, with the exception of the Rye stuff. I really do appreciate its complexity, but just don't like the taste.

02-22-2010 23:47:48 | More by JToad
morimech

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy amber color with one inch of white head that had excellant retention before settling to a thick cap. Nice level of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is complex and intriguing. A bit boozy at first but after it has a chance to open up, hints of vanilla, bourbon, caramel, and a touch of spice. The flavor is also very complex. The barrel aging is noticed right off the bat with hints of bourbon and vanilla. Other flavors come into play like caramel and maple syrup. I do not know how much of the actual wheatwine I taste, probably close to zero. Alcohol heat comes into the finish and is quite strong. I would like to give this a higher taste score but the barrel aging and alcohol just dominates. The body is soft and creamy. Silky smooth despite the alcohol that introduces some heat in the mouth. At 12% ABV it is not going to be consumed in quantity. The alcohol forces this to be a sipper.

02-22-2010 23:19:57 | More by morimech