2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders All Day IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders All Day IPAFounders All Day IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Formerly Endurance - All Day IPA.

(Beer added by: Avagadro on 06-05-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,538 | Reviews: 591 | Show All Ratings:
psoriasaurus

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

Figured I would give this one a go... I had heard from multiple friends that it is a great session IPA. Anyway, got a growler fill of it. Looks OK in the glass, pretty much what you would expect a session IPA to be, very low on the SRM chart with a generous amount of carbonation. First impression on the nose was extremely more skunky than expected... almost smelled like B.O. Taste is overwhelmingly B.O. I hate to say it, but this one was a drain pour. In fact, it was so bad that I had to go grab some bottles at the local shop to see if it was just a bad keg. Nope. Bottles had the exact characteristics all around.

Serving type: growler

02-03-2014 03:36:17 | More by psoriasaurus
LCB_Hostage

2.29/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Not bad for a "session" IPA, fairly deep copperish orange, with a sizable head and some lacing.

S: Wow! Kind of like having a pine tree shoved up your nose. I honestly could not pick up anything other than pine-resiny hops. Not necessarily a bad thing, but somewhat unexpected.

T: Um ... Yuck? There is some strongly dominant flavor happening here that I just can't identify. But whatever it is, it ain't good. Given the nose, I would have expected this to have a more hop-forward flavor, and maybe that's what it is, but it ain't like any hops I've ever tasted before.

M: Nothing special, but it is sufficiently carbonated and light enough to be refreshing.

O: I'm pretty disappointed in this one. I'm a big fan of what Founders does and I was really looking forward to my first "All Day." I love IPAs and the thought of being able to consume an extra one or two at a sitting without falling down was very appealing. Unfortunately, this just isn't a beer I want to consume more than one of -- and even one is likely to be too many. This is the oddest tasting IPA I've ever tried. Maybe it will grow on me with time, and I have another 5 to test that hypothesis. But right now, I'm not too optimistic.

04-12-2013 15:47:34 | More by LCB_Hostage
3beerdudes

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

I bought a six pack of this last weekend after enjoying many of the other Founders offerings.
A- pale clear golden brown. Not too much head/lacing
S- smelled like a skunky pine cone. I couldn't shake how awful it smelled.
T- the taste was acceptable, but the smell was even off-putting during the drink. Strong piney hop taste with a decent aftertaste
M- a bit flat, without too much appeal.
O- I can honestly say this is one of my least favorite ipas. I'm hoping I got a bad six pack. I'd try another single serving but would definitely not purchase another sixer of this one
Beerdude#3

04-16-2013 23:02:33 | More by 3beerdudes
sbxx

2.54/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Crisp, golden yellow. Slight bubbly haze as the carbonation rose up. Looked nice. Eventually settled and looked like a basic American macro.

Smell - Immediately picked up the Amarillo hops. Very nice. Hints of bread. Not much else.

Taste - Blah! This is what I feared. Empty, hollow shell of a body. Can almost taste the alcohol, it's so thin. Distant hints of pine and citrus. Bitter, funky aftertaste. Ugh.

Mouthfeel - Light body, med/high carbonation, damp finish.

Overall - Big disappointment. I really wanted to like this beer too. Oh well. There are plenty of sessionable beers out there for similar prices that actually have flavor and body. I wouldn't bother with this one.

03-11-2013 01:32:50 | More by sbxx
youngleo

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured to about a one inch slightly offwhite head. Brew itself was brownish gold in color. Left a little lacing, but nothing to brag about. Had as light hoppy smell. Maybe a little sweetness going on. Not a real strong hoppy flavor noticed. There were notes of citrus and pine. Also had a quite strong bitter aftertaste. The bitter left as fast as it was noticed to me. Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was good. I thought this would taste like Two Hearted, but there was no comparison. Two Hearted was better. But then again, Two Hearted with its higher alcohol content isnt (to me) a session beer.

02-27-2012 19:41:52 | More by youngleo
tjsdomer2

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Appearance: Golden with good lacing. An appetizing ale.

Smell: Pear and pineapple. I especially like the pear, but this is a bit sour.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely bitter, and not in a good way. Skunked pine cones. It is smooth, but definitely flat.

Overall Drinkability: I can officially say I've found a Founders beer I don't like. They say every dog has its day. Whatever the opposite of that saying is...this is it for Founders.

04-10-2013 02:39:39 | More by tjsdomer2
SaCkErZ9

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Let me start off by saying that this whole "session (insert beer here) drives me crazy. A session IPA is a pale ale. A session imperial stout is a stout. A session doppelbock is a bock. This is not an IPA, no matter what you call it. My review reflects rating this as an IPA, of which classification it officially belongs.

Pours a wonderful golden amber color with a small and slightly wispy white head. There is some sporadic lacing, but nothing like most IPAs I see.

The aroma is wonderful. Full of fresh hoppiness. Citrus and piney. Grapefruit, lemon zest, caramel malts to a lesser extent.

The flavor is awesome for a pale ale. Plenty of hop flavor, some fresh baked bread, a bit of grainy malt which I love, light malts, dry as a bone.

The mouthfeel is nowhere close for the style. Very watery and thin, super dry, high carbonation, but a solid bit of bitterness. Think IPA plus tap water.

I enjoy the aromas and flavor but the mouthfeel and alcohol are completely non existent, which is a big part of an IPA.

09-01-2013 16:12:02 | More by SaCkErZ9
schwabej

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I really wanted to like this beer. When I first tried it, I thought "Oh, a nice clone of New Glarus Moon Man." But that's where the similarities stopped. It's like a beer spritzer. Weak, yet hoppy, and I felt myself not really wanting to drink it. It quickly went flat, and I'm only drinking more to try and catch a buzz. I wouldn't buy it again, and I'm wondering now if Founders has gotten too big for their britches. I think their quality is slipping, and a brewery I once thought could do no wrong, is proving me wrong. Don't bother.

03-16-2013 03:36:44 | More by schwabej
Clonefan94

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

I'm surprised by how many high marks this had. Maybe I got a bad 6 pack or something, but this was nothing special. No malt at all, only piney aroma and taste. I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch, but just not enough going on to give it superb marks. I'd compare the sixer I had to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, with less taste and aroma.

All I got from this was some piney hops and that's it. No complexity at all to round out the beer.

07-20-2013 03:19:33 | More by Clonefan94
BrianGaynor

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Served from a 12oz bottle.

A: beautiful amber color, but little to no head.

S: maybe it's because I drink a lot of IPAs, but I could barely tell this was an IPA. Probably because it is a sessions IPA, but there are subtle hoppy, floral scents.

T: mild IPA taste. Again due to the sessions IPA style.

M: easy to drink, goes down smooth.

O: I am not a fan of sessions IPAs so this does not get a favorable rating for me. If these are your style, I think it would hit the spot, but I like my IPAs powerful.

06-04-2012 17:15:26 | More by BrianGaynor
JG-90

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle into glass

A - Clear light orange/yellow. Pours a medium head that recedes to a ring around the edge. Moderate/minimal lacing.

S - Not a huge nose, faint tropical hops and light malt

T - Overall taste is lacking as well. Starts with a little bread, then hops with lemon, pinneapple and grapefruit, finishes with a little funk and pine pricklyness. The funk, pine, and bread tastes linger on the palate. Overall a little bland, watery, and prickly

M - High carbonation and light/watery body

O - Not nearly as much character as I hoped for. There are plenty of other beers that I would rather drink all day

03-15-2013 19:49:34 | More by JG-90
Smurf2055

Washington

2.84/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours darker blond with a finger of white head.

Smell is really hoppy, fresh cut grass.

Taste is grassy, a bit stale, a bit of mild fruit. It’s got taste, but not a good one.

Very light bodied.

Session IPA is not one of my favorite styles. This one is middle of the road in a sub-par style. I can drink it, but I wouldn’t pursue it.

07-20-2013 17:20:35 | More by Smurf2055
BrownNut

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I don't get it. The first one of these I had out of the sixpack was so enjoyable and tasty and refreshing and light. I thought I'd found my new go-to beer, particularly for warm weather. Several days later, the second one tasted like straight up cat pee. Is that the Simcoe hops? Is it one of the undisclosed hops they say are in there? I don't know but it makes for an unpleasant experience. I tried a third one several days later and it was cat pee again. Pushed the rest of the pack off on a friend. This one gets perma-banned from my fridge.

05-21-2013 23:41:35 | More by BrownNut
HugePlume

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: Very light amber, almost a touch of yellow to it. Effervescent foamy head that retains well.

S: Very strong, almost perfume like fruit note. Reminds of potpurri and orange soda. Not necessarily a good thing.

T: Offputting sweet flavor right off the bat, bitterness struggles to overpower it and doesn't really succeed. Perfume smell carries over to taste a little. No real malt profile.

M: Well they nailed it here, very crisp but not watery. Finishes with a little dryness that makes the bitterness pop a little, but overall its well bodied for the intent.

O: This is what IPA would taste like if Budweiser tried it. Hop finish seems artificial and the taste is all wrong. A heavily dry hopped pale would be much better than this. Its only the second bad IPA I have had, and this might be the worst of the two.

04-18-2013 00:09:30 | More by HugePlume
sharlie

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%

I have decided with this beer that Indian Pale Ale beers are not my first choice of style. Although it was well balanced the hops were very strong. My favorite thing about this beer is that the aftertaste was not long, although it was bitter. Too hoppy for my personal taste.

04-29-2013 12:22:37 | More by sharlie
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into tall tulip, bottled 6/11/13

A: Pours a light yellow color with two fingers of dense white foam. Good retention, great lacing.

S: Lots of hops here - I get grassy, piney, and a bit of dank hops all coming together. A bready malt backbone is in the background, but is certainly there. A hint of fruity sweetness.

T: Hops move towards dank now, though I still get some grassiness that I got in the aroma. The bready malt backbone I gt in the aroma is nearly gone now. Watery.

M: Thin with good carbonation.

O: Not a fan. The aroma is nice, but the flavor is a bit watery and the hop punch I got in the aroma was not nearly as complex or tasty.

08-02-2013 02:52:21 | More by coreyfmcdonald
KBomb

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Body is quite clear light amber, small soapy head, and not a lot of lacing.

A fairly potent hop bouqet: floral, tea-like, and piney. A hint of grassyness.

Flavor is more restrained than the aroma, some big hops up front that have a little bit more of that grapefruit and piney bitterness, turns quickly to just a straight up bitter burn. Minimal malt sweetness. All in all, taste is kind of watery.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Not much body or weight, so sessionable it is indeed.

I suppose if you are just a crazy hop-addict who needs an IPA to session, you might find this beer appealing, but for those of us who are open to other styles that are easy to drink, there are many better options for tasty, light bodied and low ABV beer.

03-24-2013 00:48:15 | More by KBomb
frenchblood21

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from bottle into a rocks glass. Bottle is stamped with 12/26/2012 as the date.

Appearance- Pretty clear, Had to pour rather hard to get the desired head. About half a finger of white head.

Smell- Of course hops right up front. Subtle hints of fruit. Lemon, grapefruit, and maybe even bananas.

Taste- WAY too watery! This is a huge disappointment from a world-class brewery like Founders. Only 42 IBUs??? I mean come on.

Mouthfeel- It is what it claims. You could surely drink these all day. Its not going blow your tastebuds away like a Hopslam or White Rajah.

Overall- It's not the kind of IPA that will blast you away. You do have to give Founders credit though, this beer is exactly what it says it is.

02-26-2012 22:54:26 | More by frenchblood21
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a very light orance with a finger of white head.

Smell is great with a citrusy tropical hit that really suprised me for the abv.

Taste.... And this is where it falls apart for me. A lot of bitterness, that frankly covers up most other flavors, a little citrus pokes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is watery, even for 4.7% I was expecting some sort of feel.

Well this is a beer that I just flat out do not understand... Why just bitter the hell out of a low ABV beer.

Plenty of hop forward Pales are avaliable at around the same ABV that have way more flavor and actually drink like beer.

I understand the marketing just do not understand how it is working.

03-15-2013 22:12:56 | More by nickapalooza86
jvillefan

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: A pale yellow body with a one finger white laced head that disappeared quickly.

S: Extremely muted. There is a subtle bready caramel aroma with a tinge of hop that resembles pine.

T: There is a bitterness in the beginning. Very subtle pine and citrus followed by very subtle caramel.

M: Medium body with sharp carbonation.

O: Not a good IPA. This would not even make a good pale ale. Little flavor and more common IPAs are better and cheaper.

03-31-2013 06:25:43 | More by jvillefan
jTmakkiCx

Maryland

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Light amber color. Pours out with a rich thick head that that lasts several minutes, but interestly leaves little lacing. Relatively low in alcohol. Nothing remarkable other than its lightness, making it enjoyably refreshing.

04-23-2014 01:57:13 | More by jTmakkiCx
Spider889

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Marketed as "Endurance Ale" at the time I tried this.

On tap at Winking Lizard. Opted not to pay the extra buck to keep the ugly glass they were offering.

Pale golden color, crystal clear, small white ring of large bubbles. No lace.

Smells sweet, citrusy grapefruit, lemon, cracked peppercorns.

The taste is mostly bitter pine, it really reminded me of Stone IPA. Dry rough finish on the palate.

Very drinkable, as intended, but also very boring. I am really not too pleased with the mild/session beer fad that's erupting this year. I have yet to taste a good beer brewed with this intent lately. Give me something with good flavor or at least keep the mediocrity in Michigan.

03-08-2011 09:41:25 | More by Spider889
dwren89

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: orangey gold with a thin white fizzy head, and great clarity

Aroma: very grapefruity, strong tropical fruit aroma. No malt character.

Taste: very thin, actually surprisingly thin tasting. Almost no malt character and almost all grapefruit hop flavor. It actually tastes likes hop steeped water.

Mouthfeel: very thin and light bodied in a way that is wrong for the style. Medium carbonation

Overall: Disappointing for such a great brewery, especially one known for such strong beers like Dirty Bastard. No malt flavor makes the beer taste like hop steeped water.

08-24-2013 01:05:27 | More by dwren89
LanceW

I found everything about this beer to be average. I tend to ride my bike to the brewery alot and when I get there this is one of those beer that I drink to only quench my thirst. It is typical and would be a good beer for someone that was not expecting the explosion of flavor that you typically get from founders. This would be something that I would recommend to some that typically does not drink microbrew and was at founders with me.

12-05-2010 18:33:02 | More by LanceW
nrbw23

A- Pours a pretty clear golden yellow color with a thin white head. Head is gone in a flash and pretty much no lacing at all.

S- Pretty much picking up all fruity hops and no malts. Usually I'd say this is a good thing but the smell is very very light.

T- Again fruity hops are here but they are very light. A bit of a bready taste is here too.

M- Lighter side of body and carbonation was good.

D- I suppose this is a fairly easy to drink beer. I was a bit disappointed in this one and thought it was rather boring.

02-05-2011 08:55:25 | More by nrbw23