Founders All Day IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders All Day IPAFounders All Day IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Formerly Endurance - All Day IPA.

(Beer added by: Avagadro on 06-05-2010)

2.13/5  rDev -44.8%

I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this IPA. I haven't been let down by Founders yet. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. I was expecting a light, refreshing summer beer with Founders All Day IPA. What I got was something that tasted like body odor in a bottle. That's really the best way I can describe it. Is it the type of hops they used? Was it the ditch weed that was mixed in? Did my bottle of beer go bad? I don't know. All I know is that I didn't like the cut of this beer's jib.

I drank it straight from an ice cold bottle, so I can't tell you what it looked like. The smell was hoppy. The taste as soon as it hits the tongue is refreshing at first with a decent amount of carbonation. But as soon as it begins to go down the gullet that bitter aftertaste starts, overwhelming the senses. It's like a skunky beer....not like it went bad but as if skunk was part of the ingredients. The taste lingers erasing any memory of that initial refreshing gulp. That aftetaste ruined this beer for me.

I'm not an expert on IPAs and I'll admit they're not my first choice when drinking, but I can dig a good IPA. All Day IPA did not taste good to me. Mark it up to my bad taste if you must, but I will never buy this beer again. I still love you Founders, just not this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Figured I would give this one a go... I had heard from multiple friends that it is a great session IPA. Anyway, got a growler fill of it. Looks OK in the glass, pretty much what you would expect a session IPA to be, very low on the SRM chart with a generous amount of carbonation. First impression on the nose was extremely more skunky than expected... almost smelled like B.O. Taste is overwhelmingly B.O. I hate to say it, but this one was a drain pour. In fact, it was so bad that I had to go grab some bottles at the local shop to see if it was just a bad keg. Nope. Bottles had the exact characteristics all around.

2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

2.29/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Not bad for a "session" IPA, fairly deep copperish orange, with a sizable head and some lacing.

S: Wow! Kind of like having a pine tree shoved up your nose. I honestly could not pick up anything other than pine-resiny hops. Not necessarily a bad thing, but somewhat unexpected.

T: Um ... Yuck? There is some strongly dominant flavor happening here that I just can't identify. But whatever it is, it ain't good. Given the nose, I would have expected this to have a more hop-forward flavor, and maybe that's what it is, but it ain't like any hops I've ever tasted before.

M: Nothing special, but it is sufficiently carbonated and light enough to be refreshing.

O: I'm pretty disappointed in this one. I'm a big fan of what Founders does and I was really looking forward to my first "All Day." I love IPAs and the thought of being able to consume an extra one or two at a sitting without falling down was very appealing. Unfortunately, this just isn't a beer I want to consume more than one of -- and even one is likely to be too many. This is the oddest tasting IPA I've ever tried. Maybe it will grow on me with time, and I have another 5 to test that hypothesis. But right now, I'm not too optimistic.

2.44/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice, slightly hazy golden color with a nice white soapy head.

Smells like a foot. I can tell there is some mint and hops, but they don't meld and smell like they're fighting. I do not like the way this beer smells, just to be clear. I, in fact, hate the way this beer smells.

Somewhat bitter, but fairly flavorless besides that. It's impressive that it can smell like a foot and taste like nothing in particular. It's a very weak taste. However, very little taste is a dramatic improvement over the smell, but not good enough for a 3. 2.5 feels fair.

The mouth feel... well it feels very carbonated but it dies quickly. The bitterness lingers for a while, but the beer doesn't feel oily. It goes down fairly easily despite the aggressive but fleeting carbonation. This is actually somewhat pleasant, if not a bit too carbonated for my preferences of IPAs.

It's important to note that I don't think a 2.5 is a bad beer. It's not a good beer, but again, I wouldn't turn it down. If this beer didn't smell like it does, it would get a 3. I wouldn't buy it unless the other choices were adjunct lagers, and I couldn't reasonably get to another store or bar. I don't recommend this brew, and I'm glad I only bought one 12 oz. bottle of it.

2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

I bought a six pack of this last weekend after enjoying many of the other Founders offerings.
A- pale clear golden brown. Not too much head/lacing
S- smelled like a skunky pine cone. I couldn't shake how awful it smelled.
T- the taste was acceptable, but the smell was even off-putting during the drink. Strong piney hop taste with a decent aftertaste
M- a bit flat, without too much appeal.
O- I can honestly say this is one of my least favorite ipas. I'm hoping I got a bad six pack. I'd try another single serving but would definitely not purchase another sixer of this one
Beerdude#3