Founders All Day IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders All Day IPAFounders All Day IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Avagadro on 06-05-2010

Formerly Endurance - All Day IPA.
Reviews: 807 | Hads: 6,267
1.35/5  rDev -65.2%

Simply the worst thing that I've ever put in my mouth. And I have great respect for Founders; I like their Curmudgeon and Dirty Bastard ales very much. But All Day has a funky, sulfurous aroma that reminds me of body odor of the worst kind and its taste closely follows the smell. But I see that All Day has gotten some enthusiastic reviews so quality is clearly all in the eye (or the nose, or the mouth) of the beholder.

I know that I have a profound aversion to Simcoe hops - it astounds me that there are people in the world who like them - and All Day is Simcoe-heavy. But AD is a blend of Simcoe and Amarillo hops. I have to assume that I detest Amarillo hops just as much. For me, this is the worst of both worlds.

Fizzy. A bit stringent. Does taste like an IPA. Hate to be harsh, but a really boring beer. Bought a case (in cans) but I cant drink more than one at a time. Def not an all day brew for m.e

2.21/5  rDev -43%

I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this IPA. I haven't been let down by Founders yet. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. I was expecting a light, refreshing summer beer with Founders All Day IPA. What I got was something that tasted like body odor in a bottle. That's really the best way I can describe it. Is it the type of hops they used? Was it the ditch weed that was mixed in? Did my bottle of beer go bad? I don't know. All I know is that I didn't like the cut of this beer's jib.

I drank it straight from an ice cold bottle, so I can't tell you what it looked like. The smell was hoppy. The taste as soon as it hits the tongue is refreshing at first with a decent amount of carbonation. But as soon as it begins to go down the gullet that bitter aftertaste starts, overwhelming the senses. It's like a skunky beer....not like it went bad but as if skunk was part of the ingredients. The taste lingers erasing any memory of that initial refreshing gulp. That aftetaste ruined this beer for me.

I'm not an expert on IPAs and I'll admit they're not my first choice when drinking, but I can dig a good IPA. All Day IPA did not taste good to me. Mark it up to my bad taste if you must, but I will never buy this beer again. I still love you Founders, just not this beer.

2.26/5  rDev -41.8%

Figured I would give this one a go... I had heard from multiple friends that it is a great session IPA. Anyway, got a growler fill of it. Looks OK in the glass, pretty much what you would expect a session IPA to be, very low on the SRM chart with a generous amount of carbonation. First impression on the nose was extremely more skunky than expected... almost smelled like B.O. Taste is overwhelmingly B.O. I hate to say it, but this one was a drain pour. In fact, it was so bad that I had to go grab some bottles at the local shop to see if it was just a bad keg. Nope. Bottles had the exact characteristics all around.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Not bad for a "session" IPA, fairly deep copperish orange, with a sizable head and some lacing.

S: Wow! Kind of like having a pine tree shoved up your nose. I honestly could not pick up anything other than pine-resiny hops. Not necessarily a bad thing, but somewhat unexpected.

T: Um ... Yuck? There is some strongly dominant flavor happening here that I just can't identify. But whatever it is, it ain't good. Given the nose, I would have expected this to have a more hop-forward flavor, and maybe that's what it is, but it ain't like any hops I've ever tasted before.

M: Nothing special, but it is sufficiently carbonated and light enough to be refreshing.

O: I'm pretty disappointed in this one. I'm a big fan of what Founders does and I was really looking forward to my first "All Day." I love IPAs and the thought of being able to consume an extra one or two at a sitting without falling down was very appealing. Unfortunately, this just isn't a beer I want to consume more than one of -- and even one is likely to be too many. This is the oddest tasting IPA I've ever tried. Maybe it will grow on me with time, and I have another 5 to test that hypothesis. But right now, I'm not too optimistic.

2.41/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice, slightly hazy golden color with a nice white soapy head.

Smells like a foot. I can tell there is some mint and hops, but they don't meld and smell like they're fighting. I do not like the way this beer smells, just to be clear. I, in fact, hate the way this beer smells.

Somewhat bitter, but fairly flavorless besides that. It's impressive that it can smell like a foot and taste like nothing in particular. It's a very weak taste. However, very little taste is a dramatic improvement over the smell, but not good enough for a 3. 2.5 feels fair.

The mouth feel... well it feels very carbonated but it dies quickly. The bitterness lingers for a while, but the beer doesn't feel oily. It goes down fairly easily despite the aggressive but fleeting carbonation. This is actually somewhat pleasant, if not a bit too carbonated for my preferences of IPAs.

It's important to note that I don't think a 2.5 is a bad beer. It's not a good beer, but again, I wouldn't turn it down. If this beer didn't smell like it does, it would get a 3. I wouldn't buy it unless the other choices were adjunct lagers, and I couldn't reasonably get to another store or bar. I don't recommend this brew, and I'm glad I only bought one 12 oz. bottle of it.

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

I bought a six pack of this last weekend after enjoying many of the other Founders offerings.
A- pale clear golden brown. Not too much head/lacing
S- smelled like a skunky pine cone. I couldn't shake how awful it smelled.
T- the taste was acceptable, but the smell was even off-putting during the drink. Strong piney hop taste with a decent aftertaste
M- a bit flat, without too much appeal.
O- I can honestly say this is one of my least favorite ipas. I'm hoping I got a bad six pack. I'd try another single serving but would definitely not purchase another sixer of this one

2.54/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can.

Appearance: orangey gold with a thin white fizzy head, and great clarity

Aroma: very grapefruity, strong tropical fruit aroma. No malt character.

Taste: very thin, actually surprisingly thin tasting. Almost no malt character and almost all grapefruit hop flavor. It actually tastes likes hop steeped water.

Mouthfeel: very thin and light bodied in a way that is wrong for the style. Medium carbonation

Overall: Disappointing for such a great brewery, especially one known for such strong beers like Dirty Bastard. No malt flavor makes the beer taste like hop steeped water.

2.54/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer has nothing an IPA fan likes , but everything someone that wants to be an IPA fan can drink. Overall disappointed . I have had other sessions that tasted pretty good. Easy to drink, but in a way that you want to drink more to get that IPA hoppy, bitter taste.

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured to about a one inch slightly offwhite head. Brew itself was brownish gold in color. Left a little lacing, but nothing to brag about. Had as light hoppy smell. Maybe a little sweetness going on. Not a real strong hoppy flavor noticed. There were notes of citrus and pine. Also had a quite strong bitter aftertaste. The bitter left as fast as it was noticed to me. Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was good. I thought this would taste like Two Hearted, but there was no comparison. Two Hearted was better. But then again, Two Hearted with its higher alcohol content isnt (to me) a session beer.

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Crisp, golden yellow. Slight bubbly haze as the carbonation rose up. Looked nice. Eventually settled and looked like a basic American macro.

Smell - Immediately picked up the Amarillo hops. Very nice. Hints of bread. Not much else.

Taste - Blah! This is what I feared. Empty, hollow shell of a body. Can almost taste the alcohol, it's so thin. Distant hints of pine and citrus. Bitter, funky aftertaste. Ugh.

Mouthfeel - Light body, med/high carbonation, damp finish.

Overall - Big disappointment. I really wanted to like this beer too. Oh well. There are plenty of sessionable beers out there for similar prices that actually have flavor and body. I wouldn't bother with this one.

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance: Golden with good lacing. An appetizing ale.

Smell: Pear and pineapple. I especially like the pear, but this is a bit sour.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely bitter, and not in a good way. Skunked pine cones. It is smooth, but definitely flat.

Overall Drinkability: I can officially say I've found a Founders beer I don't like. They say every dog has its day. Whatever the opposite of that saying is...this is it for Founders.

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Changing my rating from 4 to 2.75. All was well with this one until I bought a case of it in cans. Pretty sure ive had it in both can and bottle. Hoppy seltzer water is the best way to describe it. Stones Go To and Free Will Lower Case IPAs are better examples of 'session IPAs' in my opinion.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I really wanted to like this beer. When I first tried it, I thought "Oh, a nice clone of New Glarus Moon Man." But that's where the similarities stopped. It's like a beer spritzer. Weak, yet hoppy, and I felt myself not really wanting to drink it. It quickly went flat, and I'm only drinking more to try and catch a buzz. I wouldn't buy it again, and I'm wondering now if Founders has gotten too big for their britches. I think their quality is slipping, and a brewery I once thought could do no wrong, is proving me wrong. Don't bother.

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%

Let me start off by saying that this whole "session (insert beer here) drives me crazy. A session IPA is a pale ale. A session imperial stout is a stout. A session doppelbock is a bock. This is not an IPA, no matter what you call it. My review reflects rating this as an IPA, of which classification it officially belongs.

Pours a wonderful golden amber color with a small and slightly wispy white head. There is some sporadic lacing, but nothing like most IPAs I see.

The aroma is wonderful. Full of fresh hoppiness. Citrus and piney. Grapefruit, lemon zest, caramel malts to a lesser extent.

The flavor is awesome for a pale ale. Plenty of hop flavor, some fresh baked bread, a bit of grainy malt which I love, light malts, dry as a bone.

The mouthfeel is nowhere close for the style. Very watery and thin, super dry, high carbonation, but a solid bit of bitterness. Think IPA plus tap water.

I enjoy the aromas and flavor but the mouthfeel and alcohol are completely non existent, which is a big part of an IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

I'm surprised by how many high marks this had. Maybe I got a bad 6 pack or something, but this was nothing special. No malt at all, only piney aroma and taste. I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch, but just not enough going on to give it superb marks. I'd compare the sixer I had to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, with less taste and aroma.

All I got from this was some piney hops and that's it. No complexity at all to round out the beer.

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle into glass

A - Clear light orange/yellow. Pours a medium head that recedes to a ring around the edge. Moderate/minimal lacing.

S - Not a huge nose, faint tropical hops and light malt

T - Overall taste is lacking as well. Starts with a little bread, then hops with lemon, pinneapple and grapefruit, finishes with a little funk and pine pricklyness. The funk, pine, and bread tastes linger on the palate. Overall a little bland, watery, and prickly

M - High carbonation and light/watery body

O - Not nearly as much character as I hoped for. There are plenty of other beers that I would rather drink all day

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%

Served from a 12oz bottle.

A: beautiful amber color, but little to no head.

S: maybe it's because I drink a lot of IPAs, but I could barely tell this was an IPA. Probably because it is a sessions IPA, but there are subtle hoppy, floral scents.

T: mild IPA taste. Again due to the sessions IPA style.

M: easy to drink, goes down smooth.

O: I am not a fan of sessions IPAs so this does not get a favorable rating for me. If these are your style, I think it would hit the spot, but I like my IPAs powerful.

2.87/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I don't get it. The first one of these I had out of the sixpack was so enjoyable and tasty and refreshing and light. I thought I'd found my new go-to beer, particularly for warm weather. Several days later, the second one tasted like straight up cat pee. Is that the Simcoe hops? Is it one of the undisclosed hops they say are in there? I don't know but it makes for an unpleasant experience. I tried a third one several days later and it was cat pee again. Pushed the rest of the pack off on a friend. This one gets perma-banned from my fridge.

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: Very light amber, almost a touch of yellow to it. Effervescent foamy head that retains well.

S: Very strong, almost perfume like fruit note. Reminds of potpurri and orange soda. Not necessarily a good thing.

T: Offputting sweet flavor right off the bat, bitterness struggles to overpower it and doesn't really succeed. Perfume smell carries over to taste a little. No real malt profile.

M: Well they nailed it here, very crisp but not watery. Finishes with a little dryness that makes the bitterness pop a little, but overall its well bodied for the intent.

O: This is what IPA would taste like if Budweiser tried it. Hop finish seems artificial and the taste is all wrong. A heavily dry hopped pale would be much better than this. Its only the second bad IPA I have had, and this might be the worst of the two.

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours darker blond with a finger of white head.

Smell is really hoppy, fresh cut grass.

Taste is grassy, a bit stale, a bit of mild fruit. It’s got taste, but not a good one.

Very light bodied.

Session IPA is not one of my favorite styles. This one is middle of the road in a sub-par style. I can drink it, but I wouldn’t pursue it.

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

I have decided with this beer that Indian Pale Ale beers are not my first choice of style. Although it was well balanced the hops were very strong. My favorite thing about this beer is that the aftertaste was not long, although it was bitter. Too hoppy for my personal taste.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Light amber color. Pours out with a rich thick head that that lasts several minutes, but interestly leaves little lacing. Relatively low in alcohol. Nothing remarkable other than its lightness, making it enjoyably refreshing.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: A pale yellow body with a one finger white laced head that disappeared quickly.

S: Extremely muted. There is a subtle bready caramel aroma with a tinge of hop that resembles pine.

T: There is a bitterness in the beginning. Very subtle pine and citrus followed by very subtle caramel.

M: Medium body with sharp carbonation.

O: Not a good IPA. This would not even make a good pale ale. Little flavor and more common IPAs are better and cheaper.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into tall tulip, bottled 6/11/13

A: Pours a light yellow color with two fingers of dense white foam. Good retention, great lacing.

S: Lots of hops here - I get grassy, piney, and a bit of dank hops all coming together. A bready malt backbone is in the background, but is certainly there. A hint of fruity sweetness.

T: Hops move towards dank now, though I still get some grassiness that I got in the aroma. The bready malt backbone I gt in the aroma is nearly gone now. Watery.

M: Thin with good carbonation.

O: Not a fan. The aroma is nice, but the flavor is a bit watery and the hop punch I got in the aroma was not nearly as complex or tasty.

Founders All Day IPA from Founders Brewing Company