Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders All Day IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders All Day IPAFounders All Day IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Avagadro on 06-05-2010

Formerly Endurance - All Day IPA.
Reviews: 795 | Hads: 6,156
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

The IPA that started it all for me. My intro into craft beers and IPAs. It will always have a special place in my heart! Absolutely love this beer. Super refreshing on a hot summer day!! Tropical and citrusy. One of the best session beers available.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Mostly clear, just slightly hazy. Dark golden. Pretty much perfect color for an IPA, would have preferred a shade lighter and a little hazier. Carbonation very low, almost absent.
S: Nice combination of citrus, pine, grapefruit, orange. If I had to guess I'd think Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial. Very nice. Super clean, very fresh.
T: An IPA all the way, but very clean and noticably absent malt character. More of the same flavor: grapefruit, pine, light citrus. Super clean. Bitter definitely. This is not a a pale ale - it is most definitely an IPA. Maybe just a bit grapey. Really no malt character to speak of, but I can't complain. THe very smooth yeast character makes this sessionable, as advertised. I think they hit on exactly what they were going for here. The bitterness may make it just a little less sessionable, but again, minor complaint. Very nice job.
M: A medium-light to medium mouthfeel. There is some body here. This makes the beer certainly an IPA. If it were lighter it would be more sessionable, but then it wouldn't be an IPA. I like it.
O: This is the standard by which "session IPAs" should be judged. I've had others and they really aren't close. This beer makes me think a bit. Which I like. Another hit from Founders.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint; bottled on date not entirely visible. Having enjoyed this beer quite a few times, I can tell that it is nothing less than fresh.

Appearance is decent, yet nothing to get overly excited about. I realize we have to grade this criteria and while sometimes the super sticky lacing left behind by a standout IPA does get me excited, it means NOTHING, if the beer doesn't taste good. Medium copper/champagne hybrid with delicate foam and sparse lacing to boot. The smell is a refreshing combination of pine, orange peel and lemon zest. This really tastes magnificent and I would warn IPA lovers to have a few before giving a concrete review. I wasn't in love immediately because I kept wanting to compare it to other favorites that I enjoy. Despite the ABV, this has a hop kick that is immediately noticeable and thoroughly consistent. Extremely crisp and prickly, it goes down smooth and begs you to enjoy more. While I would never compare this to heavier West Coast style IPAs, I think it needs to be judged for what its brewer intended. This is a session ale that is spot on for an IPA. I could and have consumed multiple brews of this seasonal offering from Founders without feeling the side effects of your typical IPA. This beer is completely underrated. Give it a chance before it's out of rotation.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the garage kegerator into my Duvel tulip.

The pour generated a nice eggshell white 2-3 finger head that sat on top of a light amber/copper body. The head stayed around for the entire beer and left beautiful lacing down the side. Something we all like to see.

Smell - Immediately after the pour you could notice the bouquet of pine, citrus and grapefruit notes that are just leaping out at you. What a very aromatic beer we have here!

Taste - A bit lighter than what expected, and those expectations came from the wonderful aroma that this one produces. Just enough bitterness hits you up front, which quickly fades away. I think the carbonation ups the perceived bitterness. I get notes of grapefruit and citrus muddled together.

Mouthfeel - lighter body, medium carbonation which seems to help out with the bitterness of this beer and balance out the malt body that this possesses.

Overall - For a sessionable IPA, this one hits the nail right on the head. Very tough to beat to have a beer with the flavor and ABV, along with the wonderful aroma. It is a great session beer, you can have many of these and not worry. This beer will be great for those warm summer afternoons when you don't want something too light. This will also satisfy your hunger for hops on those hot sunny days.

4.19/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance. Gold, a little hazy and clear.

Smell: Right off the bat I think grass and pine. That's it. At this point, my expectations were lowered.

Taste: I'm liking this. I'm not a fan of bitter IPAs (not sure why anyone would be), but this was not bitter. Nice hoppy flavor (citrus, grapefruit), nice and clean.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, nice body. Very light. I see why they call it All Day IPA... you could definitely drink it all day, no doubt.

O: Compared to other beers that you can drink "all day", this is one of the best. Not my favorite, but in my top 10 of "all day" beers.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A-Two fingers of nice, light suds which dissipated slightly over 1-2 minutes. Deep, golden color. Good clarity.

S-Tropical fruit with some dankness, which is a nice surprise with this session ale.

T-Pine, pineapple, mango, matches smell closely. Very enjoyable.

M-Thin, as you might expect from a session beer. Relatively quenching for a dank beer due to the mouthfeel.

O-I really like this beer for a lighter alternative to the IPA. Nice hop quality in something that you can drink several of while camping, etc. without getting too crazy. I hope it can be available for less than the price of regular IPA, as I think a lot of breweries our using this session IPA trend to gouge their customers. Fewer hops, less malt, less price.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

A: bright light orange golden color with steaming carbonation 1 finger of bright white head not much head retention or lacing however

S: good grassy hops on the nose slight bight of citrus not very complex but smells good

T: bitter upfront followed by and earthy grass flavor and bit of malt not complex but very refreshing

M: fairly thin body but finishes very dry like a good ipa should be

O: for a session ipa this is great awesome everyday drinking beer (
Like the name says I could really buy a six pack and drink a few in an afternoon

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, an excellent beer that I'd never heard of before. Of course, there's lots of beers that fit that qualification, probably. A bit of pine, didn't detect or miss lemon, worked well with the jalapeno-spiced food that I enjoyed with the beer. Clear and pleasantly deep golden color, with no hint of malt. A quality IPA, and one that I will look for and drink again (next time in warmer weather).

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I have been known to enjoy a variety or two of Founder’s Brewing Co. based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I hadn’t gotten around to reviewing this variety which is a session IPA weighing in at 4.7% ABV and 42 IBUs.

Look-It pours a light golden amber color with yellow gold hues in the light that are reminiscent of ancient
Aztec golden treasures. It pours a one finger head that settles to a thin film pretty quickly and leaves a mild lacing trail on its way down.

Smell-I smell hops first and little malts which was a pleasant and unique surprise. The hops are citrus and floral dominated, but in a very nice manner. The smell has clementine and tangerine citrus and clover and rose petal floral hops. At the end, I also get some noticeable pine aromas. Very nice!

Taste-The taste has the same citrus and floral hops, but with the addition of pine that was ambient in the aroma, but the pine rears its delicious head towards the end. It leaves a primarily pine-based astringent coating on the tongue which is pleasant and it lingers for a long time.

Mouthfeel-I could describe this as light-bodied considering only the malts and hops, but an extra kick from the carbonation fizz towards the end makes it feel more dynamic.

Overall-This is a stunningly complex beer. As a session IPA, I was expecting wimpy and muted flavors with almost imperceptible bitterness. Cheers!

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Body is quite clear light amber, small soapy head, and not a lot of lacing.

A fairly potent hop bouqet: floral, tea-like, and piney. A hint of grassyness.

Flavor is more restrained than the aroma, some big hops up front that have a little bit more of that grapefruit and piney bitterness, turns quickly to just a straight up bitter burn. Minimal malt sweetness. All in all, taste is kind of watery.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Not much body or weight, so sessionable it is indeed.

I suppose if you are just a crazy hop-addict who needs an IPA to session, you might find this beer appealing, but for those of us who are open to other styles that are easy to drink, there are many better options for tasty, light bodied and low ABV beer.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass. THis is the third one I've had today.

A: Translucent rust body with a two finger soapy bone colored head. Head went down quickly to a cap leaving good lacing.

S: Grapefruit and pine, along with some floral and citrus scents.

T: Slightly bitter some hopes are present in the taste.

M: Proper carbonation body while a bit thin for the style is thicker then many beers for the ABV

O Its a good IPA, I like that is session able however Its too expensive for what it is. Also its got a fair amount of body so while consumption is easier then most IPAs its harder then your average AAL, this makes it a bit more work to catch a buzz, although this could be seen as a positive for some I suppose.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into IPA Glass. The color is golden honey with a thick milk white head and generous lacing. It smells of grapefruit, pine, hops, and a little bit of malt. The taste of the grapefruit and hops is somewhat muted - like craft light beer. As a session IPA, it is very easy drinking; nicely carbonated and smooth. This beer achieves its purpose: a light, easy drinking IPA that is perfect for outdoor events.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Lightly hazed goldenrod with a healthy sized off-white head that may have been a bit lackluster if not for such a vigorous pour. A few angel hair wisps of lace can be spotted at random down the glass. Spot on with my expectation.

S: Nose is definitely that of an IPA, albeit a little more reserved in intensity. Zesty citrus fruit is in abundance: juicy grapefruit and some orange rind. A honey-like malt sweetness is timid amongst the hops, but offers a shy promise of balance.

T: The flavor is brighter more expressive than the nose. The hop presence is far more dominant on the tongue with a medley of grapefruit, orange rind, lemon zest, and a perhaps a hint of apricot mingle with some more dank Earthy profiles—some pine resin and grassiness in the finish. The middle, however, is a perfectly reserved wave of honey grain sweetness from the malts. The flavors have balance, but this is definitely some hop worship.

M: As to be expected from a session ale, the mouthfeel is light and somewhat airy, with a crisp carbonation and a smooth finish.

O: I'm not the biggest fan of these "session IPAs" but Founders has brewed a tasty little beverage here. It's light enough to drink all day/night, but it packs enough flavor to keep the hopheads satisfied. This may not find its way into my fridge often, but it'll definitely find its way into my cooler at a BBQ.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Light looking beer, good carbonation. 2 week old bottle.

Smells are typical Founders IPA (Harvest, Double Trouble) turned down a few notches. Still smells nice for those who like hops.

Tastes like a watered down hoppy beer from Founders. I like hoppy beer from Founders, so that's fine, but it grows old as the glass empties. And you better get this no older than a few weeks, when the dry hopping fades this beer will be no fun.

A hint of resin, dry and light on the feel.

If you can get it ultra fresh, a decent option. I know Day Tripper is 0.7% higher, but damn, a lot more flavor and feel on that beer.

I like the concept, but I think they sacrificed too much here.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

A - poured a golden straw color withy thin large bubble filled one finger head, subsided quickly. Aparent ample carbonation.

S - aroma is just hops. Delicious beautiful grapefruit and floral hops. Slight cereal malt character in the background if anything but the hops reign supreme.

T - taste is on par with what I would call a session ipa with only 4.7% abv. Watery in nature, with an ever so slight malt character in the back end with citrus and floral hops dominating the front, with a nice bitter finish. I really had to take large quaffs of this beer to really appreciate what it is. Trying to slowly sip this and disect the taste will leave you with the wrong impression. The light and floral flavor is inviting and this is a great refreshing session ale that fits the name.

M - there is a nice bitter bite at the end that is aided by the carbonation, making this nice and crisp, I just want to chug this. Seriously, very drinkable when you just want to drink beer, a lot of beer.

O - impressed with what it is, this would be my go to if I want to drink a whole six pack of something with great hop aroma and light flavor that completely refreshes you. So rating this on style only, I would say this is great. Overall as a beer in general, I would only reach for this in the above mentioned situation and probably wouldn't buy this just to enjoy one. I found the taste very similar to MBC lunch, since this actually IS available in six packs I'll probably get it again.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours a fast fading low head with only little lacing. Looks to be a dark pils, clear, deeper orange but still on the light side for an IPA. Smells of intricate citrus, pine, pitch, balsam, and something I can't identify. Taste is grapefruit up front, the lightest rind nearest the pulp. Really terrific, high carbonation, fast, and cool, bitter notes are medium high, but somewhat muted, with inviting sustain. Mouth-feel is fast, refreshing, but the hop echo is of moderately long notes, with bitterness fading near the end. I really think this is a terrific IPA, and I've had lots of this since my first sip in April. Of all the craft beers I love, and I've loved lots, this one maybe really is my 'go to' session ale. A repeater, for sure. Does different things than some of my favorite ales out there...standing somewhat alone in my experience... A good follow up after a higher % (D)IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a slightly hazy light orange. Minimal head. No lace. No bubbles.

S - dank pine/onion, light citrus and soft caramel malt.

T - light citrus, soft caramel malt with a touch of sweetness.

M - light body. Low-medium bitterness.

O - enjoyed it as a light, citrusy pale ale. Not quite bitter enough to be called an IPA, but whatever. Easy drinking and tasty.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Clear Golden Color, Minimal 1/4 head that Dissipates Quickly, Moderate Lacing that remains Through-Out the Pint.

SMELL: Mild Scents of Citrus, Malt, and Hops, Hint of Lemon and Grapefruit, Nothing Over-Powering

TASTE: Smooth, Faint Malt & Lemon Citrus Flavor, Minimal Hoppiness and Bitterness,

FEEL: Refreshing, Good Amount of Carbonation, Faint Dryness on the Swallow

OVERALL: NOTHING about this IPA jumps out at you...EVERY Part of the Experience is "OK" but never GREAT......Would make for a Good "Session Ale" if you were planning on having 4 or 5. but If you are looking for a SPECIAL beer or a "UNIQUE Drinking Experience"...this would NOT be it.

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Dark yellow/light orange with a thin head that doesn't lace.

S- Tropical fruit, Citrus, Pine, Funk, and fresh apple aromas. It smells clean and refreshing.

T- Slightly sweet upfront with a burst of tropical fruit. Citrus and pine make an appearance in the middle followed by a mellow bitter finish.

M- Medium-light bodied with low carbonation. It is also slick on the tongue.

O- A very tastey and refreshing beer. It's the perfect beer when you're craving flavor but not an abundance of bitterness or alcohol.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear pale orange colour with a decent size head. Head is not particularly dense. Tiny bit of yeast left in the bottle.
S: Boat loads of passionfruit. Bit of grapefruit and apricot.
T: Nice hop flavour. A bit of passionfruit and citrus but are very subdued, maybe by it's watery mouthfeel.
M: Very thin and watery.
O: A bit disappointing. Nice hop character but the lack of any malt backbone make it too thin and watery, even for a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

A-clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly disappears
S-nice tart hop aroma
M-carbonation bites a bit, the light feel accentuates the hops
T-subtle bitterness, very light grapefruit with a sweet lingering
O-a drinkable IPA, lacking a punch

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

3/7/15 (Bottle) - Nice golden pour with light minimal head. Citrus and malt aroma pleasant and strong. Lemon and malt flavor very good and fun to drink. Carbonation noticeable, beer went down with a slight kick which I liked. Overall very good offering by a strong brewer.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Never poured it out of the can. Smells super piney. Tastes just the same. Just a touch of bitter. So easy to drink. Exactly what it says it is. I could drink these all day at the beach. I might even be able to talk some of my cheap beer drinking friends to try this. Wow an IPA that is not over the top and is ok with itself.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A half-finger of fluffy white head on top of a transparent honey-colored beer. Great looking. Has a powerful citrus and piney hop smell accented with some grassy notes. The taste has the hop character but not much balance it. Almost a light pilsner-like background to it. Nice, light and smooth mouthfeel and lightly carbonated. Overall, this would be great in the summertime at the river. It's got great hop character but not really much malt backing to balance it out for me.

4/30/12 edit-this beer is really growing on me. It's a great session beer. I bumped the taste up to a 4 and the overall up to a 4, as compared to my first review.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Very light copper in color with two fingers length of foam that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Faint citrus.

Taste: Citrus, like white grapefruit. Hop bitterness up front that pleasantly lingers on.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, that leaves slight, clean aftertaste.

Overall: A very refreshing beer that has enough flavor and bite to satisfy. As the label says, this is very "sessionable".

Founders All Day IPA from Founders Brewing Company