Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Nemesis 2010 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2010Founders Nemesis 2010

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcann2pu on 07-29-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Nemesis 2010 Alström Bros

Last bottle at Park Place Liquor in Grosse Pointe, MI.

I don't prefer barleywines. I don't like wine, and when I see the term "wine" on a beer bottle, I usually avoid. This time, the term "Founders" on the bottle over-road that tendency.

This was a "zen" like experience in that words won't do the experience justice. A little bit of light made it through the bottle, but not enough to change the color from "pitch black" to a dark brownish hue. The smell was slightly alcoholic, leather, dare-I-say "wine", woody, pine, cigar or pipe tobacco - the taste totally followed the smell. No wonder the olfactory bulb contains the only exposed nerves in our body! Anyway, just a wonderful, wonderful brew. Checked their website, and noticed they don't seem to make this anymore. Shame. But try and try again to trade for this if you have to. It's worth it! (852 characters)

Pulled this out of the closet cellar in my apartment in East Lansing. I wanted a beer and decided the only thing I had would have to suffice. My Spartans did well, but in the end were edged. Perhaps this was a sign I should be saving beer of this class for more significant events such as March Madness.

The head filled my mug but after 20 minutes or so was down to nothing. The head itself was creamy and delicious. The aroma reminded me of the aroma on a good night at Founders -- a bread factory! The color is a deep copper, almost maybe mahogany. The beer allows very little light through but some does peek. A sticky lace is left on the glass on sides you have sipped from. This peer was put in the freezer for 30 min, then refrigerator for 30 min, then set on the counter for about 30-40 min, I would say the final drinking temperature was surely under my 70 degree room temperature, but definitely above fridge temperature and probably at the perfect serving temp. for this beer. As this beer warms, it for sure changes, but for the entire 30+ minute duration I drank it, I enjoyed it to the fullest extent I know to be possible.

The taste of this barleywine is very full and a well-balanced and controlled explosion of flavor for your taste buds. While the IBUs sit high at 100, the sweetness of the beer keeps you from such a realization. Nuances of raisins seem to be the first thing to hit my mind, but a little bit of wood, roastiness, and milder coffee and chocolate come through.

The beer is sticky but not overly syrupy. You can hardly tell the abv is 12%. The little bit of alcohol detectable is minor and comes in the final third of the taste. I truly believe this compliments the beer and is an important part of the complexity that only adds positivity to this great beer.

Overall, this beer is a MUST try. Unfortunately, I can say with confidence that you will not find this in stores. However, there is a good chance that you can find this on tap at Founders right now. I have not had this there in a while, but will DEFINITELY be getting it there very soon. Most likely this will be my first beer on the Wednesday during spring break this year since mug club members get $2 off any beer that day! However, whatever the price, definitely DO try this beer!!!

Compared to fresh, this beer is definitely drinking better now due to its smoothness and complexity. I think Nemesis 2009 may have passed its prime, or may be in a sick phase (like come cigars go through). The 2009 version was better than the 2010 when fresh, and possibly equal with equal age, but obviously impossible to tell for sure with a side-by-side comparison due to the several fact that they were approximately 6 months apart. I had a 2009 around Christmas time and believe that with similar ages on the beers, I prefer the 2010. But, again, fresh, the 2009 is as good as this 2010 is now. (2,890 characters)

from a 12oz. bottle to a brandy snifter

a-very black in the glass with a slightly cream colored head that subsided quickly but leaves lots of lacing
s- the alcohol and the roasted malts hit me before anything else
i think i smell hints of chocolate and maybe a little molasses
t- the taste on this is very roasted and chocolately, i havent got a lot of hops taste till the end with some bitter
d- i sip this more than drink it, its very viscous and lively in your mouth, not heavy but still potent

this is my second nemesis and i love it (544 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

I first had this on tap at Pinocchio's in Media, PA (they were kicking the keg on my lunch hour and I happened to come in and inexplicably be handed a glass for free!) and didn't have a notepad on my person, but couldn't get this beer out of my mind since. A good friend bought a bottle for me at Capone's and here we are. Nemesis, we meet again.

A: Pours a dark brown and sits nearly black in the glass with very little head. What is there looks nice and energetic though, with great retention and a sudsy, sticky lacing.

S: Malted milk chocolate, hop juice, caramel. Lovely aroma that's extremely inviting.

T: Starts sweet with a tinge of lactose sourness and a big chocolate flavor, with an exponentially increasing hop bitterness and carbonation tingle throughout the taste. Sets off a sweet to sour to bitter science project in your mouth with each sip, really a marvel of brewing.

M: Lovely, lively carbonation and very little alcohol presence despite the ABV. Couldn't ask for any better.

D: Obviously this isn't a session beer, but I could guzzle a glass down in 30 seconds if it wouldn't kill me/sadden me that I didn't have any Nemesis left.

This beer really makes me sad that Founders won't be bringing this one back. They should really pull a Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous and add this to the regular lineup. Beautiful stuff. (1,344 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Whoa. I let this bottle warm some out of the fridge. With an aggressive pour I got a small to medium sized light tan head that soon subsided to a light cover, an island, ring and some lace. Color is a clear, very deep, dark red. Aroma has a boatload of things going on: yeast, roast, cocoa, old leather, hop, toffee, malt, caramel, dark ripe fruits, etc. forever. Flavor's the same as nose but with the pronounced bittersweetness all over and through it all. Body and carbonation are faultless for the style; can't imagine improving on them. Finish is like flavor with good legs and lots of warming. This sets the standard. What a pleasure. (640 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

This isn't your typical barleywine . . .

Appearance: Pours almost a jet black, okay. White head dissipates to a thin layer. Good lacing.

Smell: Alright, this is different. In a good way!!! So we've got some burnt malt flavor, hops offsetting that, a slight sweetness in the background. Oak, delicious. Perhaps some coffee/chocolate aromas as well. Interesting to say the least.

Taste: Follows the nose. Very complex. This is a real thinking beer to sip on for a night. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Perfect amount of carbonation. Little to no bitterness detected despite the hops presence in the taste and aroma. Very top notch.

Overall: This is a black barleywine, imo. Love it. Wish more breweries would experiment with the barleywine style in this way. Lots of creativity yet to be tapped in this direction. Founders, hats off to you!!!! (837 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured into my 13 oz tulip glass. Pours black, with a light tan head. Nice sticky lacing that lasts the entire beer. The smell is of pine and toffee, really wonderful smell. The taste is the same, like a black IPA on steroids. Lively for the style, with a above average thickness. Hides it's 12% very well. I hope somebody brews a black barleywine, that you can get every year. This is one of my favorite styles and this was done excellent! (440 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a dark, dark brown color with minimum head. Some head can be manualy created from agitation with some residue around the edges lingering. Not much lacing. The appearance is not that impressive, but decent considering the style.

The nose is pleasant with an essence of chocolate, molasses, raison, and a lot of heat. I am also detecting woody bourbon with a hint of cherries. Each smell seems to conjure a new smell which is one of my favorite nose features of a beer.

Oh yes. This is a delicious drink even fresh. I'm excited to try this again with some age under its belt. Up front is a dose of chocolate with a wonderful woody note. This transitions to some bitterness that takes the form of a coffee like taste. All the while chocolate and molasses exist as an undertone throughout. Some raison and red grape is present along with some bitter hop or coffee presence, it is hard to say. The heat that is present in the nose is hardly noticeable in the taste. You are left with a silky smooth brew which tastes like a cross between a stout and a barleywine.

The mouthfeel is a Founders like medium in the mouth. They don't seem to produce many heavy in the mouth type beers. It is smooth but should likely improve with age. A nice drying and pleasant coffee like aftertaste lingers.

This is the best barleywine I've had to date. Founder's has delivered once again making me more excited for Nemesis 2011. (1,416 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been waiting for this for awhile now, hopefully not too long - this review is for Founders Nemesis from 2010, here we go...

Appearance - Pours nearly a finger of tan mocha creamy foam which comes down to a smooth lite cap in a minute, the body is a nearly opaque deep warm brown color with garnet raisin highlights,

Smell - Ooohhhh rich malts, ripe warmed dark fruits, sweet maple, brown sugar, well done fruit cake, dates, figs, rum cake, cooked breakfast cereal like barley or oatmeal, and some very light dried grassy floral hops.

Taste - Wow... very much like the nose, the first sip begins almost an explosion of deep dark sweet fruits over the tongue - fig, raisin, dates, ripe plums, all coated in cooked brown sugar and dark toffees, there is some natural maple here too, even a small ribbon of semi-sweet dark chocolate. Then rich roasty malts enter the picture - not enough to ad bitterness, but to add depth and breadth of flavor, then the sweetness just barely begins to give way and I get anise and semi-sweet black licorice, and then comes what I've been waiting for - even after 4 years, the 100 IBU's wrestle through and begin to appear - first as dried grass, then light citrus pith, and then a wonderful flavor of pine - all of these wearing a robe of slightly sweetened dark molasses. There is a very gently heat that accompanies all of this, completely complimentary and surprisingly concealed, especially at 12% ABV.

Mouthfeel - This is a full bodied beer, no doubt. Silky smooth and mouthcoating, but not heavy. Carb is quite low, but adds a soft texture to the quaff. There is some very light and welcome tingle along the sides and back of the tongue. This is a wonderful sippe but so very drinkable that I find myself needing to make myself take my time - savoring every sip, as I may never see this one again.

Overall - I am really enjoying this. I love the dark fruits, the maltiness, and I love how well the hops still represent themselves - the mouthfeel is perfect - my only wish is that I had a time machine to try a fresh bottle to follow this one. If you come across a 2010, pick it up, and savor one of Founders finest beers, and a rich and complex barleywine that easily holds it's own after 4 years. Cheers! (2,254 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

10 oz serving delivered in a snifter on tap.

a/s Has a fantastic looking half inch slightly tan foamy head, tons of lacing and an amazing smell, like a burnt fruit. It has a dark dark dark brown body.

T An amazing tasting beer, rich in malts and fruit, the initial taste was heavy hitting but very smooth. It starts off like a nice stout with a strong kick and some ever so slightly sour wooden earthy tones. This taste fades away to something resembling a sweet cherry flavored wine. It is very hard to describe the layers upon layers of taste this brew produces.

M/D If I where inclined to do so, I could drink this beer like water. Its smooth on the tongue and if no one told you, you would have no clue that this beer was 12% ABV.

In short, an amazing beer that I would gladly pay $8 a 10oz glass for again and again. Dont pass up a chance to try it if you should wander across it. (889 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours very dark. Almost stout-like in appearance. Great head and retention as well.

The aroma is very hop forward despite it's age. Very pungent. Ample pine and a hefty amount of caramel malt. Somewhat balanced but still substantially hoppy.

Extremely bitter but balanced and smooth. Well rounded despite the excess of hops. Incorporates everything I expect from a barleywine in all the right proportions. Depth and intensity while incredibly easy drinking.

The body is medium full and medium light in weight. Somewhat sticky in the finish.

Overall, this was very smooth, and if this isn't the peak time to have this, I can't imagine how good it could taste. It's almost like a DIPA/barleywine combo and I love it for it. (728 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

This review is from the Founders Brewery after I had at least 3-4 very strong other beers so I wasn't in the best frame of mind to rate it accurately, so keep that in mind.

A- was almost completely black with little to no head.

S- barley wine smell that was VERY boozy!

T- has a HUGE barley wine taste to it. Had all sorts of flavors that I couldn't necessarily identify, but if I had to say for sure, it was mostly malt, with some licorice, some hard candy, a bit of vanilla, some dark fruit type flavor I couldn't put a finger on. It was just amazing and VERY boozy, just AWESOME!

M- very smooth, but almost like cough syrup (in a good way). Ends a bit bitter but SUPER strong

O- by far the BEST barley wine style beer I have ever had. Had it at Founders and it I was in heaven already when I ordered this beauty. Would love to have a few again someday. I can imagine it would be better after you've had a few as it is very strong and after drinking one, will pretty much end your night. Loved this beer (1,012 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Thanks to THECPJ for this one!

Appearance - Really dark brown in color, little white/tan head, and decent amounts of lacing.

Smell - smells incredible, as soon as I popped the cap that smell came pouring out. Has bready hints, with dark fruit, malts, a molasses smell, some hope aroma, and subtle alcohol tones.

Taste - follows the smell, the alcohol isn't super noticeable. Has a nice sweet flavor balanced out by hops. It isn't really that bitter at all to me. Does have a piney/woody finish to it.

Mouthfeel - in between medium and heavy. Nice carbonation, and creaminess to it.

Drink - very nice to drink, but pretty high ABV.

Lowered the score some due to drink, couldn't really drink a ton of this. Still the kind of beer I like to find. Full of flavor and character, and I think it is balanced well. (813 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

A; Pours black with a small foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Syrupy with strong aromas of milk chocolate, plums, and figs. Rich and complex.

T: Chocolate. Cocoa. Coffee. Night. Full-flavored with an upfront sweetness quickly followed by a gripping bitterness.

M: Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Thick, oily, and chewy.

D: I'm usually more positivistic in my reviews; it takes a certain kind of beer to make me wax poetic - and this is it. This is WORTH $5.50 for a 12 oz. bottle. (489 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

At Founders in GR. Almost as dark as the breakfast stout, but with some ruby hilights. The head is white and laces nicely as it settles. The nose is quite sweet and rich, but the flavor comes across nicely balanced - big and chewy, and certainly sweet, but with some nice citrusy hops. The flavor arc runs smoothly fromthe sweet, effervescent front to the refreshing finish with no bumps in between. (399 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

I think I blacked out. This was a sipper I recall. Beautiful oaky, dark caramel pour. This beer wants me to retire, buy the rest of this with the money I have, and watch the Gnuppets until hell freezes over. I sipped this for over two hours, and almost didn't want to finish it - not because it was too heavy, but because I wanted to save it. It tastes exactly like a 12% bw.

Thank you Founders.

Now, who am I? (412 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

It's about time I review this beer but I've been too busy drinking it all week. I must say that this is one of my favorite beers of all time but has one big flaw--It is way too drinkable for being 12%

anyways...

Poured into a snifter, dark black with a thin quickly dissipating brown head

Smells quite tame, little chocolate, dark berries

Tastes very chocolatey with a smooth finish. Very little bite. As nemesis warms up it feels more like wine and chocolate being paired together. It's an all around beautiful experience.

Way too drinkable, I keep kicking these back. I have been paying five dollars for a decent sized snifter and have been very happy. It just tastes and feels so good that I am sad that this beer will only be made once. (745 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:Poured a nice crimson color with good carbonation and a great tannish cap

S: Nice. Caramel, toffee, cocoa and plenty of sweetness and booze stings the nostrils

T: Big sweetness, caramel, toffee, cocoa and pretty dominant. Hints of coffee and array of fruits. This beer has so much flavor and it is damn near perfect in taste

M: Full bodied, tasty, well carbonated and down right delicous and nice

D: For the style its a must, go to and treat to drink (456 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky enough to have this on tap and boy does it pack a punch. The aroma is a wonderful blend of coffee and roasted caramel malts.

From the first sip you can definitely feel the alcohol, but thankfully you can't taste it. There was a surprising amount of hops in the taste as well as the sweet caramel malt and a subtle hint of fruit.

It was incredibly smooth and the flavor developed as it got slightly warmer. This might be the best I have had from Founder's so far. (477 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at the sterling Sun Singer. Big, brawny black body with a long-lasting finger of rich tan foam; good-looking beer. Equally big smell, with plenty of roasted caramel malt, chocolate, vanilla, and fruit such as orange, all wrapped in a bourbon cask.

Nemesis tastes fantastic, just brilliant--the bourbon emerges strongly in the taste but allows the chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and orange peel to shine through. The bourbon, that is, does its job just right--shaping the overall flavor and complementing rather than submerging the other flavors. Phenomenal.

Excellent mouthfeel, smooth with a bit of effervescence, and subtly viscous. The 12% ABV lurks menacingly halfway through Nemesis, but this need not be a nightcap with a little caution. This is a tremendous, complex, accessible barleywine, one of the best I've had. It almost becomes redundant to extol the many virtues of Founders but, after sampling such magnificent wares, it is nearly impossible not to yet again tout this pearl of a brewery. Founders has again succeeded in crafting greatness.

A must-try. (1,078 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first time i had 2010 Nemesis, i thought it was alright, pretty hot and a bit of a sticky chore to drink. This bottle is wonderful though, maybe it's the months of age? maybe it's the cooler weather outside? I don't know, but this has turned into a wonderfully melded Barleywine with lots of luscious layers of sweet maple butter toffee bread, cashews, maple syrup pancakes, Molasses, Vanilla, and ever so light alcohol considering the 12%...really? Thick and chewy, creamy i say, a delight on the palette.

If you have lots of this and want to trade, shoot me a BM.

Chad (576 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15%

Sampled this recently at both the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, NJ, and the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ. Into a tulip glass, it poured black, with one finger of brown; good retention, and great lacing. No visible carbonation. Smelled of coffee, oak, bittersweet chocolate, plum, and currant. The taste began on a chocolate note, followed by dark fruit (currant/plum), and then finished on a dry orange peel/blackcherry/coffee note, with only a modest hint of the high alcohol content. Thick and slick feel, with no carbonation. This was an amazingly drinkable, high-alcohol beer. Would LOVE to see how this ages... (625 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a 5.5 oz taster glass as part of a Founders tasting @ Tavern on Liberty in Allentown.

A: Pours jet black with ruby red around the edges and a mild ring of tan lacing. (Great head considering the serving glass and time it took to get to me after pouring.)
S: Vibrant floral hops and light roasted malts leading to a sweet malty backbone.
T: Very much like the smell, only a bit more complex than it suggests, as the flavors blend together perfectly and the hops aren't overly bitter. Also, the alcohol is unnoticeable for such a high ABV.
M: This is what sets this one apart from the rest at the tasting: Medium bodied, great carbonation, smooth finish.
O: I think this was a great beer on tap, and I need to revisit it in the bottle while the bottles still have some hoppiness left in them. Personally, I liked this a lot more than the CBS or KBS, as it was much more drinkable than either one, and I don't recall that being the case with this or KBS in bottle form. (980 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a very rich translucent deep mahogany with ruby edges. Produced 2 fingers of foamy khaki colored head that receded slowly and left solid webs of lacing. A very enticing beer to say the least

This is one BOLD ass beer for sure! Rich citrus notes (mainly oranges), sticky pine, brown sugar, dark chocolate covered cherries, dark fruit (raisins and or plums) and rich caramel roasted malts.

The taste of this beer is even bolder than the smell! Rich dark chocolate covered cherries along with bold citrus hops (just like the nose, predominately oranges) pine hops, with rich roasted caramel malt and notes of raisins/plums

Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Thick and chewy! Pleasantly sweet semi drying citrus/pine hop aftertaste that absolutely coats the tongue with each sip. Definitely giving off some heat from the 12% abv but it only enhances the beer

HOLY SHIT this was a great tasting barley wine! To my memory this is the best one that I have had to date. Everything about this beer was fantastic. Bold, rich, chewy, decadent and hot! I will be making a point of finding more of this. Consider me ISO Nemesis 2010! (1,144 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

A - This beer pours a very dark mahogany brown color. It has a small 1/2-finger tan head, that left some lacing on the glass as it fell. There are some very tiny carbonation bubbles that are visible rising to the ring of foam sitting along the edge of the beer.

S - It smells of dark roasted malts and also has a strong hop presence. There are some notes of caramel, molasses, dark fruits, alcohol, and chocolate.

T - This has a great taste. At first I am getting a nice dark fruitiness, roasty bitterness, and some sweetness. Immediately after I am getting an assault of hoppy bitterness. There is also a booziness that come out towards the end and is mostly present in the finish. The finish is boozy, happy, and bitter. This is like a super hoppy black barleywine. Delicious.

M - This has a full body and low-med carbonation. It has a bit of a chewy quality to it. It goes down smooth, and has a strong hoppy bitterness that lingers. There is also some alcohol warmth.

D - Very drinkable. It is a sipper for sure, but the flavor is great and it goes down smooth. This is a ver good barleywine, it has a great fruitiness to it and it is very hoppy. It's definitely not your typical version of this style. Overall, I think this is a great beer, and I would definitely pick up more. (1,286 characters)

Founders Nemesis 2010 from Founders Brewing Company