1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Nemesis 2010 - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2010Founders Nemesis 2010

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mcann2pu on 07-29-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Nemesis 2010 Alström Bros

Pulled this out of the closet cellar in my apartment in East Lansing. I wanted a beer and decided the only thing I had would have to suffice. My Spartans did well, but in the end were edged. Perhaps this was a sign I should be saving beer of this class for more significant events such as March Madness.

The head filled my mug but after 20 minutes or so was down to nothing. The head itself was creamy and delicious. The aroma reminded me of the aroma on a good night at Founders -- a bread factory! The color is a deep copper, almost maybe mahogany. The beer allows very little light through but some does peek. A sticky lace is left on the glass on sides you have sipped from. This peer was put in the freezer for 30 min, then refrigerator for 30 min, then set on the counter for about 30-40 min, I would say the final drinking temperature was surely under my 70 degree room temperature, but definitely above fridge temperature and probably at the perfect serving temp. for this beer. As this beer warms, it for sure changes, but for the entire 30+ minute duration I drank it, I enjoyed it to the fullest extent I know to be possible.

The taste of this barleywine is very full and a well-balanced and controlled explosion of flavor for your taste buds. While the IBUs sit high at 100, the sweetness of the beer keeps you from such a realization. Nuances of raisins seem to be the first thing to hit my mind, but a little bit of wood, roastiness, and milder coffee and chocolate come through.

The beer is sticky but not overly syrupy. You can hardly tell the abv is 12%. The little bit of alcohol detectable is minor and comes in the final third of the taste. I truly believe this compliments the beer and is an important part of the complexity that only adds positivity to this great beer.

Overall, this beer is a MUST try. Unfortunately, I can say with confidence that you will not find this in stores. However, there is a good chance that you can find this on tap at Founders right now. I have not had this there in a while, but will DEFINITELY be getting it there very soon. Most likely this will be my first beer on the Wednesday during spring break this year since mug club members get $2 off any beer that day! However, whatever the price, definitely DO try this beer!!!

Compared to fresh, this beer is definitely drinking better now due to its smoothness and complexity. I think Nemesis 2009 may have passed its prime, or may be in a sick phase (like come cigars go through). The 2009 version was better than the 2010 when fresh, and possibly equal with equal age, but obviously impossible to tell for sure with a side-by-side comparison due to the several fact that they were approximately 6 months apart. I had a 2009 around Christmas time and believe that with similar ages on the beers, I prefer the 2010. But, again, fresh, the 2009 is as good as this 2010 is now.

Founders Nemesis 2010 from Founders Brewing Company