Founders Bourbon Apple Cream Ale - Founders Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Cream Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TCgoalie on 08-02-2010)
3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

salinasa, Dec 17, 2011

amrozga, Dec 09, 2011

WeisGuy, Nov 30, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13%

Pours a light bronze with a nice white head. Smells very strongly of candy-dipped apples. Hints of bourbon and booze. Whoa, apple overload on the initial taste. Nearing on cider. Slighlty tart green apple skins. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and slightly boozy. Drinkability is good considering what's going on, but not one of the things I'm really pining for them to bottle.

Thorpe429, Sep 04, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to my good friend TCgoalie for being the guide on my first trip to Founders Tap Room!

Arrives at our table a kind of dark tinged gold amber with fluffy white head. The aroma is predominantly of apple with bourbon adding a nice spicy kick on the back side. Quite sweet, unlike most hard ciders. I am intrigued. The flavor can best be described as mellow apple with a malt backbone like that of a cleanly brewed pale lager. It is very biscuity and crisp, and pretty much just holds up the apple and a touch of bourbon. No hops at all, and as stated before, the bourbon is present but in the background. It is super refreshing and slightly tart. The body is light, and the mouthfeel super smooth from the nitro. This goes down so easily that I cannot at all detect the 8% ABV. I think this is a pretty interesting beer, I just wish it had a little more punch to it.

zoso1967, Aug 26, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a slightly cloudy dark gold color, with a typical cream white colored head. Settled quickly and left a moderate lace. Definitely less head than I'd have expected for a nitro pour.

Smell is primarily that of fresh apples, though there is a hint of raisin and...urine? Some sort of mild funk at the end for sure, though whether urine is the best descriptor I cannot say.

While Founders tends to make flavor-forward beers, this one was quite a bit more laid back. Has the light taste of a typical cream ale, backed with a not inconsiderable bit of apple. Sadly, the apple is not especially tart nor especially sweet. It is just there. Doesn't seem to add much. But it mostly obscures the bourbon, and in doing so mellows out too much. Slightly bitter aftertaste, though not clearly attributable to any of the above elements, nor to hops, which seemed not to get so much as a cameo role here.

Much as I love Founders, this is a sub-par effort on their part. The name hooked me, as it seemed a rather ambition and original proposition. But the combo didn't work well, as the end result was a somewhat off-tasting blend of elements that served to obscure one another. It was easy enough to drink, but I can't see myself having it again.

beerindex, Aug 06, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +13%

Bright gold with some bubbly, champagne like foam. Smells like apple juice and bourbon, not sure what else I would have expected but the scents are well balanced.

The flavor reminds me of mixing apple and white grape juice at continental hotel breakfasts when I was 8. Apple fruitiness, little sour tinge. I wish I tasted more bourbon and while cream ales are decidedly not my style, this is the best one I've had out of about 3 or 4. It feels light and as TCGoalie mentioned, has a drying effect as you drink.

liquidcraft, Aug 02, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Notes from 7/31/10

A: Poured from the nitrogen tap into a good sized snifter. A very unique white color shows directly after the pour as the bubbles fight to reach the top of the glass. Once the one finger fluffy tight bubbled foam settles on top, a slightly cloudy yellow straw colored beer emerges below. White splotches settle on the glass rounding out a very solid appearance.

S: All I'm getting in the smell is bourbon madness. Within the bourbon smell is a lovely woody aroma that is a staple smell in Founder's barrel aged beers. A small bit of sweet apple creeps into my nose when I really concentrate hard.

T: Once this has warmed the flavors come out a bit more. Apple mixes with honey to produce a mellow apple taste. Gentle bourbon notes creep in to remove some of the sourness that apple could produce. An essence of wood and brown sugar round out the taste.

M: As with any nitrogen beer, this is very smooth and surprisingly light in the mouth. I didn't notice it at first but as the beer goes down, my mouth gets drier with each sip.

D: This is quite drinkable for 8%. The only clue to the high ABV is a touch of warmth in the aftertaste. A solid offering for its style.

TCgoalie, Aug 02, 2010