1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,611 | Reviews: 1,284 | Show All Ratings:
Pullen

Georgia

A - Black.. with a tan head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell - Roast and chocolate notes none of the aromas out shine the other..

Taste - Awesome! The chocolate and roast aroma carries into the flavor of this beer. This beer is perfectly balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, yet border line viscous. Carbonation is not too heavy.

Drinkability - I can drink several pints of this beer easily..

Overall - This is one of the best porter's I've ever tasted. This is the last of my stash until I travel (or order) out of state for another beer haul.

01-10-2010 03:41:42 | More by Pullen
horshack7

Appearance: It's dark, sinister, and a blackhole in a bottle well in this case a mug. The head is a dark beige about one inch thick and is also quite frothy. It is similar to looking at the top of an espresso.

Aroma: Lots of dark chocolate with notes of alcohol. Espresso beans, vanilla bean. Hops are roasted very dark almost burnt along with a the malts that give it a large grainy backbone.

Taste: As the first sip ventures across my palate I hear the beer gods singing, and monks chanting. From the malt end of the flavors this beer is wonderfully grainy with underlying touches of espresso and vanilla bean. The hop end of it all are so remarkably roasted so magnificently dark. In the midst of thease happenings is a borderline sinfully smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: This is an absolutely stunning American porter what a masterpiece. Cheers.

08-23-2010 01:35:20 | More by horshack7
stingrayvr6

I will start by saying that I can not imagine a better example of the style. Poured into a porter glass, incredibly dark brown/black, faintly red on the edges where light can pass through. Creamy tan head, great retention and lacing. Massive roasted smell some coffee grinds, chocolate and toffee. Faint burned popcorn as well. Smooth on the tongue with the roasty dryness dominating the front, then sweetens out with the chocolate and toffee notes, then back to dry coffee like finish. Some alcohol warming as you get deep into this. New favorite porter.

12-09-2010 01:57:48 | More by stingrayvr6
cpz28

Indiana

A standalone in category:

This probably the best porter I've ever had.

A- Black with a big, brown pillowy head

S- Roast, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, slight wood

T- Is spot on with the smell and sweet. These guys have it right. It's so rich and perfectly balanced.

M- Smooth and creamy, very full-bodied.

O- Just buy it. If you like the style, you'll love it. If you like beer, you'll love it. If you don't like it, you'll like Miller Lite.

06-16-2011 23:51:51 | More by cpz28
punky796

On-tap at Bar Louie.

A - Pours dark-dark-brown, almost black, like Guinness. About a finger of thick cream-colored head, but dissipates after a short time. Moderate lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, caramel malts. A touch of alcohol, even. All very roasty/toasty.

T - All the same as the smells, and additionally a healthy amount of bitterness, in a good way. Excellent.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-low carbonation. Almost warms you up as you drink it. Great body. Easy to take another healthy-sized slug right after.

O - You're not supposed to give many fives, but it's happening here...it almost feels like there should be more to say. This is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The best beer I've had to date.

03-13-2013 09:08:15 | More by punky796
Brouwerij78

Yes, I am a bit biased toward a thick heady porter, but I digress from my point. This porter has it all...a bit sweet, a bit rich, a bit chocolatey, a bit coffee laden and a lot delicious. It pours smoothly from the tap and settles a little like a Guinness in your pint glass. On the inhale, the sweet and rich aroma gets your palate prepared for a nice sip of an almost a coffee ice cream milk shake-like goodness. This would go nicely with a hefty gourmet burger or even an acid cigar (perhaps the Kub Kuba for good measure?). Highly recommended.

10-02-2013 17:31:08 | More by Brouwerij78
tomgoehring

If I had to pick one beer (and that beer would be a porter or a stout) to drink for the rest of my life this would be it! Excellent color and taste, not too flat. I've had a fair number of porters and this, Black Butte and Sam Smith's Taddy Porter always do it for me - of those three I'd pick this one if I had to - fortunately I don't.

03-18-2014 18:35:39 | More by tomgoehring
ACarp

exactly what i want a robust porter to be. way richer and fuller than Black Butte and pure chocolate whereas Black Butte reminds me of charcoal. Not like Edmund Fitzgerald either with its slight smokiness and average thisckness mouthfeel. the closest similar beers would probably be Gonzo baltic porter by flying dog or maybe washington tavern porter by yards due to its full mouthfeel and rich chocolatyness

A= dark, black, nice tan head, nothing wrong here
S= roasty chocolate and some sweet malt. hints of coffee
T= same as nose, very full rich mouthfeel, sweet but with hop and roasty bitterness to balance.
O= One of my favorite interpretations at the style, very enjoyable and full dark beer at half the abv of an imperial stout. Will have to keep this around

04-16-2014 01:25:28 | More by ACarp
jongullotti

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

12oz bottle purchased on 2/26/11 one day after it arrived at the store. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass at cellar temperature (about 55 degrees.)

Pour reveals a very dark brown beer with a perfect tan head which dissipates to thin lacing which sticks to the edge of the glass from beginning to end (which didn't take long.)

Aroma of deep dark toasted malts. I smell chocolate milk. A hint of mocha. This is what I want to smell when I pour a porter.

Rich creamy malt flavor engulfs my whole palate. finish of semi-sweet chocolate and bitterness work together beautifully. A little coffee flavor too. Toasted raw barley flavor with the alcohol at the very end. Great balance of flavors.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Smooth with a medium carbonation that a porter should have.

Drinkable? Hell yea! Smooth as silk. Didn't take long for me to get through this one. Could hardly wait for each next sip.

This is a perfect porter. I'll be buying another six pack asap.

02-28-2011 21:40:16 | More by jongullotti
Andrew61923

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

01-23-2012 01:41:17 | More by Andrew61923
Snow81

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Pours black as night with no light penetrating this beer

Head: Rich malty dark brown head

Smell: Roosted malts with a light coco on the nose

Taste: Big burnt malts with an espresso bean and hops hit the sides of the palate, yum

Weight: Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Hops and burnt malts with a little stickiness on the lips

04-02-2011 16:19:57 | More by Snow81
TheFlern

Idaho

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Thanks MaxSpang

Appearance: A very dark brown, almost black. A light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer. Decent lacing still.

Smell: Coffee, light chocolate. Very pleasant, not overwhelming. Very good for the style.

Taste: Follows the nose. The chocolate is slightly more abundant. The taste packs a punch and is yet still mellow and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. I like how drinkable it is.

Overall: I'm a fan. Its too bad I don't have easier access to this beer. I highly recommend if you have the chance.

12-18-2011 03:23:59 | More by TheFlern
AEK

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Deep black coloured ale with a coffee coloured, tightly packed bubbly head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Coffee, dark chocolate,charred wood, molasses, dark sugar, liquorice, treacle and raisins.

T. Milky , bitter chocolate, smoky, cured ham, liquorice.

M. Full bodied.

D. A beautiful porter, very drinkable and so pleased it is better than the Pale Ale I had. Caresses your taste buds and throat.

04-16-2011 00:09:31 | More by AEK
DCX

Georgia

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

I was really impressed by this one. The nose is filled with a strong presence of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and hints of coffee.

The aromas present in the nose all come through in taste as well (thankfully), with nothing really feeling lost of left out. It's a little hoppier than other offerings out there, but in a good way - I think it helps counterbalance the sweet components nicely and give this porter a little bite.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a slightly syrupy coating being left on the palette. While a lighter nature in the finish might make the beer a bit more drinkable, it would come at the expense of losing the great mouthfeel that (amongst other things) makes this one stand out from the crowd.

All in all, one of the best porters I've ever had. Highly recommended.

11-21-2011 05:58:32 | More by DCX
elNopalero

4.9/5  rDev +15%

This pours a dark molasses-cola color. There’s a big roasty aroma on it, full of dark chocolate and espresso beans. Great roasty flavor on it as well with a bit of a hop sharpness at the finish thanks to the 45 IBUs. The bitterness becomes most present as the flavor tapers off, not a floral/citrus hoppiness but a sharp bitter bite that complements the roast and dark chocolate flavors. Well-rounded and amazingly enjoyable. Wishing I brought a sixer of this back with me as I finished this one all too easily.

01-11-2012 22:47:08 | More by elNopalero
yesyouam

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about.

10-08-2012 17:40:37 | More by yesyouam
janglang34

4.9/5  rDev +15%

This is my absolute favorite porter! Every time I'm at my local beer store, Peabody's, and I'm looking for a libation to warm me up on these cold mountain winters, the Founder's Porter is what I reach for. I love everything about this beer! The taste is awesome with dark, roasted malts and just enough hop flavor and aroma to compliment that dark, rich, and sexy mouth of real beer. The only thing I've had as good if not better is Caldera's "Mogli".

01-25-2013 01:20:43 | More by janglang34
UltramagnusX

Rhode Island

4.9/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I am not a fan of Porters. I tried this in a sampling at a local brewery supply house where we were having a beer tasting. The aroma just carried into my skull, intoxicating my senses. As I took my sip, I dreaded it, but suddenly, a burst of creamy goodness splashed against my pallet. I look back up at the bottle and first scan the label... Porter?! Then I read a little higher... Oh, its Founders... obviously!

So, ya, this was a great experience.

06-01-2013 23:23:29 | More by UltramagnusX
gangstafaceclay

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

02-18-2014 13:39:14 | More by gangstafaceclay
SaCkErZ9

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12oz shortboy bottle into a pint glass. Pitch black with a stiff, rocky, creamy, tan head of about two fingers in size. Tons of lacing. Very pretty.

Aroma is superbly roasty and full of coffee goodness. Hints of vanilla and chocolate and a subtle fruitiness as well.

This one is damn good. Lots of coffee in the flavor. Plenty of other roasted cereals as well with a touch of choclate. Tastes just like Breakfast Stout with less alcohol.

I love this beer. Maybe closer to a stout than a porter, but damn is this beer delicious. Whatever category this is in, it is in a class of its own. Easily the best drining porter I have had. A bit pricey at over $11 for a six, so this cant be a standard offering in my house, but this was an really good beer.

01-02-2009 19:59:13 | More by SaCkErZ9
thegodfather2701

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

A-Pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly. It is very thick. As a side note, after drinking a six pack it seems like you have to make the effort to pour this beer hard to get a decent head.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malts with a little alcohol creeping in as well.

T-Rich, chocolaty, with some coffee notes. A touch of hops as well. Simply delicious.

M-Silky smooth, delicate, and creamy.

D-To me it doesn't get any better than this. It is exceptionally drinkable due to its remarkable smoothness.

Overall I cannot praise this beer enough. When I think of porters I think of big robust masculine beers, but this beer seems different. It's rich, smooth, and creamy characteristics make it much more delicate than any other porter I've drank. If you are a fan of porters this is a must try. It truly is Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

04-03-2009 18:47:56 | More by thegodfather2701
ccrida

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Founders Porter is black with a massive foamy brown head. Between the pressure released when I cracked it, along with the overly foamy head, I feared infection, but none was found. The foamy leaves heavy chunks, rocky really, a bit Belgianesque.

Smell is caramel, almost nougat like. Really delicious.

Taste is very rich, this is a big ass porter, which I dig. Loads of cocoa, a little milk chocolate really, with a touch of caramel as well. Outstanding, wow.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonation but not overly so, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great, this a fantastic porter. The only frustration is the large head slows down the drinking! This is the best porter I've ever had, period.

12-13-2010 03:40:57 | More by ccrida
wattoclone

4.86/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

11-14-2012 18:04:52 | More by wattoclone
msolar

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a pitch black with a small head that fades into an even and minimal lacing. The aroma has strong coffee notes with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is almost the opposite - predominant chocolate notes with a hint of espresso. It's amazing - and gives their Breakfast Stout a run for the money. Minimal carbonation and a very balanced beer (sweet for a porter) make this a very drinkable beer.

I'd probably buy this over the Breakfast stout since it was (I think) $12 for 6, vs. $14 for 4 breakfast stouts. I'd very highly recommend this beer.

*It's going to be difficult to save a couple bottles for my beer-buddies!

02-04-2009 02:13:14 | More by msolar
KarlHungus

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours an opaque dark brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is roasted malt, milk chocolate, and smores. It is very aromatic, and quite complex. The taste is like the aroma. Nothing over the top, and nothing far out there. It simply has all the qualities a good porter should have. Lots of roasted malt, ample chocolate, and an overall smores like quality. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great porter that is sure to become a mainstay in my refrigerator. It reminds me of a slightly more robust Bell's Porter in that it isn't over the top in any one area, but is balanced in everything a porter should be.

05-31-2009 18:12:16 | More by KarlHungus