Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,438 | Hads: 6,562

I will start by saying that I can not imagine a better example of the style. Poured into a porter glass, incredibly dark brown/black, faintly red on the edges where light can pass through. Creamy tan head, great retention and lacing. Massive roasted smell some coffee grinds, chocolate and toffee. Faint burned popcorn as well. Smooth on the tongue with the roasty dryness dominating the front, then sweetens out with the chocolate and toffee notes, then back to dry coffee like finish. Some alcohol warming as you get deep into this. New favorite porter. (555 characters)

A standalone in category:

This probably the best porter I've ever had.

A- Black with a big, brown pillowy head

S- Roast, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, slight wood

T- Is spot on with the smell and sweet. These guys have it right. It's so rich and perfectly balanced.

M- Smooth and creamy, very full-bodied.

O- Just buy it. If you like the style, you'll love it. If you like beer, you'll love it. If you don't like it, you'll like Miller Lite. (449 characters)

On-tap at Bar Louie.

A - Pours dark-dark-brown, almost black, like Guinness. About a finger of thick cream-colored head, but dissipates after a short time. Moderate lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, caramel malts. A touch of alcohol, even. All very roasty/toasty.

T - All the same as the smells, and additionally a healthy amount of bitterness, in a good way. Excellent.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-low carbonation. Almost warms you up as you drink it. Great body. Easy to take another healthy-sized slug right after.

O - You're not supposed to give many fives, but it's happening here...it almost feels like there should be more to say. This is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The best beer I've had to date. (716 characters)

A- Pours thick, but an aggressive pour yields a lot of tan head. Deep black.

S- Roast, a little fruity notes. Roast comes out more as it warms.

T- Roast, some tangy hops, more roast. Delicious and what I expect in a porter.

M- Not to thick, not too light. My standard for the style.

O- My favorite porter. Very affordable, very available, very easy-drinking, very rich and flavorful. Cheers (394 characters)

Quite delicious. I've had a few porters, and this one stands out. Smooth and rich, and not for someone looking for a light drink. Like a meal in a bottle. Not too expensive, either. Yum. (186 characters)

By far the best beer I have ever had. Definitely the best American porter there is hands down. Silky smooth, luscious mouth feel that is absolutely perfect combined with dark enticing flavors of roasted coffee, grain, and chocolate. This is now my go to beer. (259 characters)

This beer is dirty. The nice and nasty kinda dirty! When poured into a glass I was unable to see any light pass through, even holding it up to the sun. Strong dark smell, strong dark taste. Think dark chocolate with dark burnt coffee with an earthy feel. My wife bought me three 6 packs (18 beers) and I went through them in about a week. My liver hurts... Hurts sooo good! (373 characters)

exactly what i want a robust porter to be. way richer and fuller than Black Butte and pure chocolate whereas Black Butte reminds me of charcoal. Not like Edmund Fitzgerald either with its slight smokiness and average thisckness mouthfeel. the closest similar beers would probably be Gonzo baltic porter by flying dog or maybe washington tavern porter by yards due to its full mouthfeel and rich chocolatyness

A= dark, black, nice tan head, nothing wrong here
S= roasty chocolate and some sweet malt. hints of coffee
T= same as nose, very full rich mouthfeel, sweet but with hop and roasty bitterness to balance.
O= One of my favorite interpretations at the style, very enjoyable and full dark beer at half the abv of an imperial stout. Will have to keep this around (766 characters)

Appearance: It's dark, sinister, and a blackhole in a bottle well in this case a mug. The head is a dark beige about one inch thick and is also quite frothy. It is similar to looking at the top of an espresso.

Aroma: Lots of dark chocolate with notes of alcohol. Espresso beans, vanilla bean. Hops are roasted very dark almost burnt along with a the malts that give it a large grainy backbone.

Taste: As the first sip ventures across my palate I hear the beer gods singing, and monks chanting. From the malt end of the flavors this beer is wonderfully grainy with underlying touches of espresso and vanilla bean. The hop end of it all are so remarkably roasted so magnificently dark. In the midst of thease happenings is a borderline sinfully smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: This is an absolutely stunning American porter what a masterpiece. Cheers. (845 characters)

If I had to pick one beer (and that beer would be a porter or a stout) to drink for the rest of my life this would be it! Excellent color and taste, not too flat. I've had a fair number of porters and this, Black Butte and Sam Smith's Taddy Porter always do it for me - of those three I'd pick this one if I had to - fortunately I don't. (337 characters)

A - Black.. with a tan head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell - Roast and chocolate notes none of the aromas out shine the other..

Taste - Awesome! The chocolate and roast aroma carries into the flavor of this beer. This beer is perfectly balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, yet border line viscous. Carbonation is not too heavy.

Drinkability - I can drink several pints of this beer easily..

Overall - This is one of the best porter's I've ever tasted. This is the last of my stash until I travel (or order) out of state for another beer haul. (555 characters)

Poured into tumbler out of 12oz. Bottle.
A: black as a moonless night. 1/4" caramel colored head quickly dissipates to leave nice lacing for a porter.
S: roasted malt and hops, w/ a caramel tinge.
T: follows the nose with notes of dark roast coffee and a slight bitter acridness on the swallow. Alcohol is COMPLETELY hidden!
F: initially thick but transitions to a lighter clean aftertaste I can only attribute to the masterful application of the hops...wonderful!
O: A top notch porter second to Eddy Fitz ONLY, IMO. More "Stouty" as well, but that's fine 'cause I LOVE the Stouts too!!! (589 characters)

I think it's perfect. Alcohol content is just right for me and so is the bitterness. Coffee taste is not harsh at all. I like this better than their breakfast stout, but that is still good too. If you like porters and stouts then you should definately appreciate this brew. (275 characters)

Yes, I am a bit biased toward a thick heady porter, but I digress from my point. This porter has it all...a bit sweet, a bit rich, a bit chocolatey, a bit coffee laden and a lot delicious. It pours smoothly from the tap and settles a little like a Guinness in your pint glass. On the inhale, the sweet and rich aroma gets your palate prepared for a nice sip of an almost a coffee ice cream milk shake-like goodness. This would go nicely with a hefty gourmet burger or even an acid cigar (perhaps the Kub Kuba for good measure?). Highly recommended. (548 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of caramel-colored head that immediately dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds of foam.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with lots of rich, earthy, bready, roasted malt aromas up front, imparting notes of freshly baked pumpernickel bread, freshly ground coffee beans, dark molasses, dark chocolate, brown sugar, a touch of smoke, and a touch of floral hops aromas.

Taste: Delicious! Lots of earthy, roasted malt flavors up front, like toasted dark bread, coffee, dark molasses, a touch of smoke and tobacco. I also get notes of brown sugar-like sweetness, a touch of licorice, and a touch of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium/medium-chewy and very smooth, as there is very little carbonation. With and ABV of 6.5%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an absolutely outstanding porter! Highly recommended! (1,031 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle. (1,218 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz bottle purchased on 2/26/11 one day after it arrived at the store. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass at cellar temperature (about 55 degrees.)

Pour reveals a very dark brown beer with a perfect tan head which dissipates to thin lacing which sticks to the edge of the glass from beginning to end (which didn't take long.)

Aroma of deep dark toasted malts. I smell chocolate milk. A hint of mocha. This is what I want to smell when I pour a porter.

Rich creamy malt flavor engulfs my whole palate. finish of semi-sweet chocolate and bitterness work together beautifully. A little coffee flavor too. Toasted raw barley flavor with the alcohol at the very end. Great balance of flavors.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Smooth with a medium carbonation that a porter should have.

Drinkable? Hell yea! Smooth as silk. Didn't take long for me to get through this one. Could hardly wait for each next sip.

This is a perfect porter. I'll be buying another six pack asap. (979 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance: Pours black as night with no light penetrating this beer

Head: Rich malty dark brown head

Smell: Roosted malts with a light coco on the nose

Taste: Big burnt malts with an espresso bean and hops hit the sides of the palate, yum

Weight: Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Hops and burnt malts with a little stickiness on the lips (366 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks MaxSpang

Appearance: A very dark brown, almost black. A light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer. Decent lacing still.

Smell: Coffee, light chocolate. Very pleasant, not overwhelming. Very good for the style.

Taste: Follows the nose. The chocolate is slightly more abundant. The taste packs a punch and is yet still mellow and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. I like how drinkable it is.

Overall: I'm a fan. Its too bad I don't have easier access to this beer. I highly recommend if you have the chance. (527 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Deep black coloured ale with a coffee coloured, tightly packed bubbly head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Coffee, dark chocolate,charred wood, molasses, dark sugar, liquorice, treacle and raisins.

T. Milky , bitter chocolate, smoky, cured ham, liquorice.

M. Full bodied.

D. A beautiful porter, very drinkable and so pleased it is better than the Pale Ale I had. Caresses your taste buds and throat. (459 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

I was really impressed by this one. The nose is filled with a strong presence of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and hints of coffee.

The aromas present in the nose all come through in taste as well (thankfully), with nothing really feeling lost of left out. It's a little hoppier than other offerings out there, but in a good way - I think it helps counterbalance the sweet components nicely and give this porter a little bite.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a slightly syrupy coating being left on the palette. While a lighter nature in the finish might make the beer a bit more drinkable, it would come at the expense of losing the great mouthfeel that (amongst other things) makes this one stand out from the crowd.

All in all, one of the best porters I've ever had. Highly recommended. (805 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I am not a fan of Porters. I tried this in a sampling at a local brewery supply house where we were having a beer tasting. The aroma just carried into my skull, intoxicating my senses. As I took my sip, I dreaded it, but suddenly, a burst of creamy goodness splashed against my pallet. I look back up at the bottle and first scan the label... Porter?! Then I read a little higher... Oh, its Founders... obviously!

So, ya, this was a great experience. (463 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter has a medium-to-thick, beige head, an extremely dark brown appearance, and a touch, here and there, of lacing left behind. The aroma is rich, sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, cream, and chocolate. Taste is of the same, with significant acidity and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and slick, and Founders Porter finishes semi-dry, delicious, and super-drinkable. Just a great, great beer!

RJT (418 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a burnt caramel colored head. Nice soapy lacing.
S - Sweet coffee, vanilla, bready, roasted malts and baker's chocolate.
T - Coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla and sweet milk. Nice medium heavy body. Creamy thick mouthfeel.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star porter!
V - Medium value. (313 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about. (568 characters)

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company