Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,457 | Hads: 6,630

If I had to pick one beer (and that beer would be a porter or a stout) to drink for the rest of my life this would be it! Excellent color and taste, not too flat. I've had a fair number of porters and this, Black Butte and Sam Smith's Taddy Porter always do it for me - of those three I'd pick this one if I had to - fortunately I don't.

A - Black.. with a tan head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell - Roast and chocolate notes none of the aromas out shine the other..

Taste - Awesome! The chocolate and roast aroma carries into the flavor of this beer. This beer is perfectly balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, yet border line viscous. Carbonation is not too heavy.

Drinkability - I can drink several pints of this beer easily..

Overall - This is one of the best porter's I've ever tasted. This is the last of my stash until I travel (or order) out of state for another beer haul.

Poured into tumbler out of 12oz. Bottle.
A: black as a moonless night. 1/4" caramel colored head quickly dissipates to leave nice lacing for a porter.
S: roasted malt and hops, w/ a caramel tinge.
T: follows the nose with notes of dark roast coffee and a slight bitter acridness on the swallow. Alcohol is COMPLETELY hidden!
F: initially thick but transitions to a lighter clean aftertaste I can only attribute to the masterful application of the hops...wonderful!
O: A top notch porter second to Eddy Fitz ONLY, IMO. More "Stouty" as well, but that's fine 'cause I LOVE the Stouts too!!!

I think it's perfect. Alcohol content is just right for me and so is the bitterness. Coffee taste is not harsh at all. I like this better than their breakfast stout, but that is still good too. If you like porters and stouts then you should definately appreciate this brew.

Yes, I am a bit biased toward a thick heady porter, but I digress from my point. This porter has it all...a bit sweet, a bit rich, a bit chocolatey, a bit coffee laden and a lot delicious. It pours smoothly from the tap and settles a little like a Guinness in your pint glass. On the inhale, the sweet and rich aroma gets your palate prepared for a nice sip of an almost a coffee ice cream milk shake-like goodness. This would go nicely with a hefty gourmet burger or even an acid cigar (perhaps the Kub Kuba for good measure?). Highly recommended.

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of caramel-colored head that immediately dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds of foam.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with lots of rich, earthy, bready, roasted malt aromas up front, imparting notes of freshly baked pumpernickel bread, freshly ground coffee beans, dark molasses, dark chocolate, brown sugar, a touch of smoke, and a touch of floral hops aromas.

Taste: Delicious! Lots of earthy, roasted malt flavors up front, like toasted dark bread, coffee, dark molasses, a touch of smoke and tobacco. I also get notes of brown sugar-like sweetness, a touch of licorice, and a touch of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium/medium-chewy and very smooth, as there is very little carbonation. With and ABV of 6.5%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an absolutely outstanding porter! Highly recommended!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz bottle purchased on 2/26/11 one day after it arrived at the store. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass at cellar temperature (about 55 degrees.)

Pour reveals a very dark brown beer with a perfect tan head which dissipates to thin lacing which sticks to the edge of the glass from beginning to end (which didn't take long.)

Aroma of deep dark toasted malts. I smell chocolate milk. A hint of mocha. This is what I want to smell when I pour a porter.

Rich creamy malt flavor engulfs my whole palate. finish of semi-sweet chocolate and bitterness work together beautifully. A little coffee flavor too. Toasted raw barley flavor with the alcohol at the very end. Great balance of flavors.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Smooth with a medium carbonation that a porter should have.

Drinkable? Hell yea! Smooth as silk. Didn't take long for me to get through this one. Could hardly wait for each next sip.

This is a perfect porter. I'll be buying another six pack asap.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance: Pours black as night with no light penetrating this beer

Head: Rich malty dark brown head

Smell: Roosted malts with a light coco on the nose

Taste: Big burnt malts with an espresso bean and hops hit the sides of the palate, yum

Weight: Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Hops and burnt malts with a little stickiness on the lips

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks MaxSpang

Appearance: A very dark brown, almost black. A light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer. Decent lacing still.

Smell: Coffee, light chocolate. Very pleasant, not overwhelming. Very good for the style.

Taste: Follows the nose. The chocolate is slightly more abundant. The taste packs a punch and is yet still mellow and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. I like how drinkable it is.

Overall: I'm a fan. Its too bad I don't have easier access to this beer. I highly recommend if you have the chance.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Deep black coloured ale with a coffee coloured, tightly packed bubbly head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Coffee, dark chocolate,charred wood, molasses, dark sugar, liquorice, treacle and raisins.

T. Milky , bitter chocolate, smoky, cured ham, liquorice.

M. Full bodied.

D. A beautiful porter, very drinkable and so pleased it is better than the Pale Ale I had. Caresses your taste buds and throat.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

I was really impressed by this one. The nose is filled with a strong presence of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and hints of coffee.

The aromas present in the nose all come through in taste as well (thankfully), with nothing really feeling lost of left out. It's a little hoppier than other offerings out there, but in a good way - I think it helps counterbalance the sweet components nicely and give this porter a little bite.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a slightly syrupy coating being left on the palette. While a lighter nature in the finish might make the beer a bit more drinkable, it would come at the expense of losing the great mouthfeel that (amongst other things) makes this one stand out from the crowd.

All in all, one of the best porters I've ever had. Highly recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I am not a fan of Porters. I tried this in a sampling at a local brewery supply house where we were having a beer tasting. The aroma just carried into my skull, intoxicating my senses. As I took my sip, I dreaded it, but suddenly, a burst of creamy goodness splashed against my pallet. I look back up at the bottle and first scan the label... Porter?! Then I read a little higher... Oh, its Founders... obviously!

So, ya, this was a great experience.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter has a medium-to-thick, beige head, an extremely dark brown appearance, and a touch, here and there, of lacing left behind. The aroma is rich, sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, cream, and chocolate. Taste is of the same, with significant acidity and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and slick, and Founders Porter finishes semi-dry, delicious, and super-drinkable. Just a great, great beer!

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a burnt caramel colored head. Nice soapy lacing.
S - Sweet coffee, vanilla, bready, roasted malts and baker's chocolate.
T - Coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla and sweet milk. Nice medium heavy body. Creamy thick mouthfeel.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star porter!
V - Medium value.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This has clearly become my favorite porter over the past few years. The first time I had this porter was from a bottle and I fell in love instantly.

When I learned that my local distributor carried 1/4 barrels all year long I switched to the porter on tap. What a wonderful difference...on tap it is very creamy, smooth, and tasty with a thick, foamy head that leaves you with a beer mustache. Wonderful blend of coffee and chocolate hits you right away with a noticeable hop kick on the back end.

Founder's hits another home run with this delicious brew. You will not be disappointed!

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This pours a dark molasses-cola color. There’s a big roasty aroma on it, full of dark chocolate and espresso beans. Great roasty flavor on it as well with a bit of a hop sharpness at the finish thanks to the 45 IBUs. The bitterness becomes most present as the flavor tapers off, not a floral/citrus hoppiness but a sharp bitter bite that complements the roast and dark chocolate flavors. Well-rounded and amazingly enjoyable. Wishing I brought a sixer of this back with me as I finished this one all too easily.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my absolute favorite porter! Every time I'm at my local beer store, Peabody's, and I'm looking for a libation to warm me up on these cold mountain winters, the Founder's Porter is what I reach for. I love everything about this beer! The taste is awesome with dark, roasted malts and just enough hop flavor and aroma to compliment that dark, rich, and sexy mouth of real beer. The only thing I've had as good if not better is Caldera's "Mogli".

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Founders Porter is black with a massive foamy brown head. Between the pressure released when I cracked it, along with the overly foamy head, I feared infection, but none was found. The foamy leaves heavy chunks, rocky really, a bit Belgianesque.

Smell is caramel, almost nougat like. Really delicious.

Taste is very rich, this is a big ass porter, which I dig. Loads of cocoa, a little milk chocolate really, with a touch of caramel as well. Outstanding, wow.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonation but not overly so, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great, this a fantastic porter. The only frustration is the large head slows down the drinking! This is the best porter I've ever had, period.

4.86/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just excellent in every way especially the nose after the glass was empty. Just could not believe the wonderful balance of hops and roast grains. Excellent!!!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the best beers I have ever had. It is also one of the most richest in aroma and flavor. Dark Roasted coffee is present in the smell and taste. It does possess that nice earthy flavor that is present in most fine single malt Scotch whisky. There is minor hop presence.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

The best porter of my recollection. Extremely good.

Aroma is rich and inviting. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle, even with my nose more than a foot away from the bottle. Lots of toastyness.

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a beautiful dark tan head .

Flavor is intense. Rich toasted malt. Dark chocolate. Nice balance of bitter and rich notes. Not at all sweet but definitely rich. Maybe a tinge of fruit in there, maybe a tiny hint of cherries and raisins.

Exquisite mouthfeel. Supremely smooth but with just a tiny bit of carbonation. Lingering richness in the mouth. Not too sweet but not too bitter. Hops are in the background but are not dominant. Some spices too.

An extremely good beer. This one is worth seeking out.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company