Microbrew Invitational

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Reviews: 1,542 | Ratings: 7,010
4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks MaxSpang

Appearance: A very dark brown, almost black. A light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer. Decent lacing still.

Smell: Coffee, light chocolate. Very pleasant, not overwhelming. Very good for the style.

Taste: Follows the nose. The chocolate is slightly more abundant. The taste packs a punch and is yet still mellow and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. I like how drinkable it is.

Overall: I'm a fan. Its too bad I don't have easier access to this beer. I highly recommend if you have the chance.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Deep black coloured ale with a coffee coloured, tightly packed bubbly head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Coffee, dark chocolate,charred wood, molasses, dark sugar, liquorice, treacle and raisins.

T. Milky , bitter chocolate, smoky, cured ham, liquorice.

M. Full bodied.

D. A beautiful porter, very drinkable and so pleased it is better than the Pale Ale I had. Caresses your taste buds and throat.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

I was really impressed by this one. The nose is filled with a strong presence of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and hints of coffee.

The aromas present in the nose all come through in taste as well (thankfully), with nothing really feeling lost of left out. It's a little hoppier than other offerings out there, but in a good way - I think it helps counterbalance the sweet components nicely and give this porter a little bite.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a slightly syrupy coating being left on the palette. While a lighter nature in the finish might make the beer a bit more drinkable, it would come at the expense of losing the great mouthfeel that (amongst other things) makes this one stand out from the crowd.

All in all, one of the best porters I've ever had. Highly recommended.

4.91/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured a beautiful inky-black color with a dark cherry colored one-finger head. Left a slight amount of lace in the glass.

S: roasted coffee and dark chocolate

T: Roasted coffee, with hints of dark chocolate, slight sweetness and a smattering of hoppiness

M: Rich, smooth, creamy goodness

D: One of my favorite porters, unfortunately not available in my area!

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I am not a fan of Porters. I tried this in a sampling at a local brewery supply house where we were having a beer tasting. The aroma just carried into my skull, intoxicating my senses. As I took my sip, I dreaded it, but suddenly, a burst of creamy goodness splashed against my pallet. I look back up at the bottle and first scan the label... Porter?! Then I read a little higher... Oh, its Founders... obviously!

So, ya, this was a great experience.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter has a medium-to-thick, beige head, an extremely dark brown appearance, and a touch, here and there, of lacing left behind. The aroma is rich, sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, cream, and chocolate. Taste is of the same, with significant acidity and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and slick, and Founders Porter finishes semi-dry, delicious, and super-drinkable. Just a great, great beer!

RJT

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a burnt caramel colored head. Nice soapy lacing.
S - Sweet coffee, vanilla, bready, roasted malts and baker's chocolate.
T - Coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla and sweet milk. Nice medium heavy body. Creamy thick mouthfeel.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star porter!
V - Medium value.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This has clearly become my favorite porter over the past few years. The first time I had this porter was from a bottle and I fell in love instantly.

When I learned that my local distributor carried 1/4 barrels all year long I switched to the porter on tap. What a wonderful difference...on tap it is very creamy, smooth, and tasty with a thick, foamy head that leaves you with a beer mustache. Wonderful blend of coffee and chocolate hits you right away with a noticeable hop kick on the back end.

Founder's hits another home run with this delicious brew. You will not be disappointed!

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This pours a dark molasses-cola color. There’s a big roasty aroma on it, full of dark chocolate and espresso beans. Great roasty flavor on it as well with a bit of a hop sharpness at the finish thanks to the 45 IBUs. The bitterness becomes most present as the flavor tapers off, not a floral/citrus hoppiness but a sharp bitter bite that complements the roast and dark chocolate flavors. Well-rounded and amazingly enjoyable. Wishing I brought a sixer of this back with me as I finished this one all too easily.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my absolute favorite porter! Every time I'm at my local beer store, Peabody's, and I'm looking for a libation to warm me up on these cold mountain winters, the Founder's Porter is what I reach for. I love everything about this beer! The taste is awesome with dark, roasted malts and just enough hop flavor and aroma to compliment that dark, rich, and sexy mouth of real beer. The only thing I've had as good if not better is Caldera's "Mogli".

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Founders Porter is black with a massive foamy brown head. Between the pressure released when I cracked it, along with the overly foamy head, I feared infection, but none was found. The foamy leaves heavy chunks, rocky really, a bit Belgianesque.

Smell is caramel, almost nougat like. Really delicious.

Taste is very rich, this is a big ass porter, which I dig. Loads of cocoa, a little milk chocolate really, with a touch of caramel as well. Outstanding, wow.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonation but not overly so, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great, this a fantastic porter. The only frustration is the large head slows down the drinking! This is the best porter I've ever had, period.

4.86/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just excellent in every way especially the nose after the glass was empty. Just could not believe the wonderful balance of hops and roast grains. Excellent!!!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the best beers I have ever had. It is also one of the most richest in aroma and flavor. Dark Roasted coffee is present in the smell and taste. It does possess that nice earthy flavor that is present in most fine single malt Scotch whisky. There is minor hop presence.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

The best porter of my recollection. Extremely good.

Aroma is rich and inviting. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle, even with my nose more than a foot away from the bottle. Lots of toastyness.

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a beautiful dark tan head .

Flavor is intense. Rich toasted malt. Dark chocolate. Nice balance of bitter and rich notes. Not at all sweet but definitely rich. Maybe a tinge of fruit in there, maybe a tiny hint of cherries and raisins.

Exquisite mouthfeel. Supremely smooth but with just a tiny bit of carbonation. Lingering richness in the mouth. Not too sweet but not too bitter. Hops are in the background but are not dominant. Some spices too.

An extremely good beer. This one is worth seeking out.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

A-Pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly. It is very thick. As a side note, after drinking a six pack it seems like you have to make the effort to pour this beer hard to get a decent head.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malts with a little alcohol creeping in as well.

T-Rich, chocolaty, with some coffee notes. A touch of hops as well. Simply delicious.

M-Silky smooth, delicate, and creamy.

D-To me it doesn't get any better than this. It is exceptionally drinkable due to its remarkable smoothness.

Overall I cannot praise this beer enough. When I think of porters I think of big robust masculine beers, but this beer seems different. It's rich, smooth, and creamy characteristics make it much more delicate than any other porter I've drank. If you are a fan of porters this is a must try. It truly is Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 12oz shortboy bottle into a pint glass. Pitch black with a stiff, rocky, creamy, tan head of about two fingers in size. Tons of lacing. Very pretty.

Aroma is superbly roasty and full of coffee goodness. Hints of vanilla and chocolate and a subtle fruitiness as well.

This one is damn good. Lots of coffee in the flavor. Plenty of other roasted cereals as well with a touch of choclate. Tastes just like Breakfast Stout with less alcohol.

I love this beer. Maybe closer to a stout than a porter, but damn is this beer delicious. Whatever category this is in, it is in a class of its own. Easily the best drining porter I have had. A bit pricey at over $11 for a six, so this cant be a standard offering in my house, but this was an really good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled on February 2016 from 16oz bottle in pint glass. Bottled on date of 10/2/2015 was on the bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black, dark color, with a thick dark tan head. The head lasted a long time, and left a nice lacing on the glass, but not a lot.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong coffee and sweet caramel aromas. Some hops in the aroma. Nice combination and balance between the various flavors.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt and hops. There is a hint of sweetness and caramel flavors that may be due to the malts, but it is balanced nicely with pronounced hops flavor. Overall it has an excellent taste. The combination of strong hops and roasted malts and strong alcohol give this drink powerful flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy. Medium alcohol which matches with the 6.5% on the label.

Overall: Overall, this is an excellent beer and one of the best porters I have tasted. Another great beer from Founders. The more I drink it, the more I like it. I will definitely look for this and buy it again.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a pitch black with a small head that fades into an even and minimal lacing. The aroma has strong coffee notes with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is almost the opposite - predominant chocolate notes with a hint of espresso. It's amazing - and gives their Breakfast Stout a run for the money. Minimal carbonation and a very balanced beer (sweet for a porter) make this a very drinkable beer.

I'd probably buy this over the Breakfast stout since it was (I think) $12 for 6, vs. $14 for 4 breakfast stouts. I'd very highly recommend this beer.

*It's going to be difficult to save a couple bottles for my beer-buddies!

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer pours an opaque dark brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is roasted malt, milk chocolate, and smores. It is very aromatic, and quite complex. The taste is like the aroma. Nothing over the top, and nothing far out there. It simply has all the qualities a good porter should have. Lots of roasted malt, ample chocolate, and an overall smores like quality. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great porter that is sure to become a mainstay in my refrigerator. It reminds me of a slightly more robust Bell's Porter in that it isn't over the top in any one area, but is balanced in everything a porter should be.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz. bottle dated 2/22/10 poured into a snifter

A- Black with a huge tan head.

S- Chocolate, roasted coffee, roasted malts, and a hint of caramel and hops.

T- Rich, complex, and balanced. A great blend of roasted coffee and chocolate with a great malt backbone, and had a nice bitter bit in the finish.

M- Thick, creamy, and silky smooth.

D- This is a great beer, one of the best I have had. With how big the taste is I would really only have one as a dessert, I could not drink more than one in a sitting. I got this in a Founders variety pack with Centennial IPA, Dirty Bastard, and Red's Rye PA, and this is the best out of the four.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied brown colored head that laces the glass a bit on its way down.
S: Smells of deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, hints of chocolate, coffee, and a touch of earthy hops fill the nose.
T: Tastes of sweet and bitter deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, a nice chocolate and coffee flavor to this one with hints of brown sugar and a hint of hops at the end.
M: Very smooth, rich, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this beer is an excellent version of the porter. All the flavors and then some that really go well with it were in there and not too much alcohol to make it pretty sessionable. It was excellent. Just like it says, Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

355ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

Look: Dark brown, almost black and opaque to go with it. Dark khaki/tan head with considerable retention

Smell: Dark malts, coffee and chocolate. Puts me in mind of a 'proper' chocolate stout although this obviously isn't marketed as such. Slightly 'burnt' roasted malt edge too. Oh yes.

Taste: Again, coffee, roasted malts and chocolate with the faintest hint of alcohol bite. Quite earthy, with a lot going on, but none of the flavours seems to overpower the others. That's good going, and it ticks all of the boxes for me.

Feel: Edging towards stout territory in terms of mouthfeel but none the worse for that. Coffee and chocolate up front, roasted malts in the middle and the cocoa flavours make a return in aftertaste with a lingering alcoholic burn to go with it. Really rather special.

Overall: This is my second Founders beer - the first, Rubaeus, was rather disappointing but they've hit a home run with this one. Nice mixture of flavours, heavenly smell and surprisingly easy drinking for something with quite a heavy mouthfeel. Stouts and porters are my 'preferred' styles, and I could easily find myself coming back to this one. Dark, Rich and Sexy? You betcha ...

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company