Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,451 | Hads: 6,612
2.01/5  rDev -52.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at room temperature.

A: Pours out of the bottle an inky brown, that becomes black in the glass - so much so that it absorbs all nearby light. Forms a thin brown head, which quickly fades to a ring. No lacing to speak of.

S: Roasted malt meets light coffee and semi-sweet chocolate, all wreathed together in a nice balance.

T: And it all falls apart. I did not expect to get such a piney hop bite from the nose, yet that is virtually all I can taste in this beer. It's difficult to notice any other aspect of the flavor profile - so much so that I cannot. This is effectively a black IPA for those who enjoy pine.

M: Watery, thin, and with a sharpness that may just be the excessive hopping.

O: Edmund Fitzgerald this is emphatically not. I shall not repeat.

2.15/5  rDev -49.3%

Everything was ok except for the taste of this one. It's very heavy and dark but the taste was just too much-tasted burnt-more so than even the smokiest of rauchbiers. Surprised this beer scores so well. I thought it was just off-maybe I got a 6 pack that burnt on the bottom of the tank!

This is the only beer I've had from Founders and have heard lots of good things subsequent to this tasting so I guess it is surprising how much I didn't like it. Will give them another try but will pass on their porter-this one just didn't do it for me.

2.68/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz twistoff into my Harpoon Liviathan Baltic Porter glass.

Appearance: Dark black, can not see through it. There was NO head and no laceing.

Smell: Roaster malt, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Was just OK, malts, strong coffee and a little chocolate came through. Almost a creamy finish.

Mouthfeel: I get a lot of coffee and not much else with no carbonation.

Drinkability: I do not have the desire to finish this one. It is just OK and I would not buy another.

2.92/5  rDev -31.1%

I've been a sort of beer geek for two decades now but I've never really explored the full range of dark ales made today. I've had many a beer from every continent but I want now to explore American dark ales. I've decided to start with this one. Porter was an early love of mine before I was seduced by belgian tripels and german doppelbocks. Everything comes around but it's never the same twice I guess.

G - Scaldis (Bush) Noel tulip glass.

A - Pours medium bodied black with a nice fluffy tan head. Very promising. Significant amount of carbonation adhering to bottom of glass.

S - A hint of coffee, chocolate, and an off-smelling pair of phenol and medicinal odors at first whiff that disappears. A turnoff. As the beer opens a little alcohol owns much of the nose.

T - Sharp and surprisingly hot for 6.5% ABV. Prickly hops overwhelm the start of a decent set of malt flavors. Nice smooth rich malty finish. It has a long finish that lingers that isn't average but rather has two components that together average out that way.

M - Soapy on the end of the tongue, dry in the back of the palate. Not very integrated or smooth. Too carbonated.

O - The bitter and the sweet seem not to go together in this beer. Like west coast American wines this beer is very west coast American in its pursuit of sensory overload even if it's not west coast. There are delicate flavors in there but a lower and different hop recipe would serve it well. Just not for me.

Deep dark brown, almost black with a creamy medium brown head. Aromas of chocolate malt and mocha, with a mild alcohol sweetness. Lots of roasted malts balance a slight sourness. Not as smooth as I expected. Mouthfeel is coating, but not too heavy. Slightly sour finish. Overall, a solid beer. Would like to see a little more roundness and less of the sour/acidic flavors. Give it a try if you want.

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Had this one poured from the bottle into a goblet.
Appearance: Black with a thin half-finger of head, nice lacing on the glass as it went down. Close inspection reveals lots of tiny bubbles fizzing bottom to top.
Smell: Malt, yeast, burnt coffee and chocolate. A bit of a tingle on the nose.
Taste: Very heavy, more like a stout to me. The burnt coffee & chocolate first, then malt and hops. The finish lingers reminding me of bitter medicine.
Mouthfeel: Like I said, this was heavier than I anticipated.
Overall: I was looking forward to cracking this one open. Disappointing. Porter isn't my favorite style, but I really enjoy Orginal Flag and crave the occasional Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. This one, not so much. Out of respect to the brothers and my fellow BAs I'll give this one another shot but I'll have my porter lovin' buddy standing by for the handoff.

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

I originally sampled this beer on 12 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Aroma: This has some burnt/roasted notes on the nose;
Mouthfeel: It is dry & bitter on the palate.
Overall Impression: This is a nice middle of the road porter.

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

This is my first American porter, so I may not be a fair judge to the style.

A: Beautiful and dark. I didn't get any head, but the lacing clumped together and stayed throughout the glass.

S: Rich and satisfying. Smelled toffee, chocolate, burnt malts and coffee.

T: I don't think I cared for the burnt malts, but this beer has plenty of big and bold flavors. It can be a little overwhelming. Even for 6.5% ABV the alcohol stayed in the background.

M: I like beers with lower carbonation and no hops, and this one fit the bill. Just went down extremely smooth. Would swirl the beer on my tongue without ill effect.

D: A fairly easy drinking beer, but the flavors are so bold that if you don't like them, you won't be able to take this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too often in a fit of “oh shit the baby’s going to wake up, poop everywhere and need to be changed, fed and played with” I don’t let the beer mellow, to come down a few degrees. I started this review in haste before deciding to take my own advice. Glad I did.

STYLE: American Porter

ABV: 6.5%

LOOK: Unremarkable, the midpoint between oily and soda. An appalling lack of lacing. What head?

NOSE: We’re off to a rather good start. Over a foot away, I can smell the chocolate and red fruits as it pours. Better as it warms. Smoother too. We’ve gone from metallic to mid-range coffee.

MOUTH: It settles into coffee and lightly burnt malts. Not the extraordinary failure I thought it was at first. Medium body, dirty, barn doors, green pear. It has to be sessionable, but not because the ABV is relatively low. It simply lacks something robust, be it flavor or texture.

Beeradvocate Rating: 95

ratebeer Rating: 100

Hayward Abbey Rating: 82

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: dark brown, small head, medium carbonation

Smell: expresso, some chocolate, malt

Taste: expresso, light chocolate, malt

Mouthfeel: bitter heavy and thick

Drinkability: Not as impressed with this one as some of Founder's other offerings. The bitterness to this porter really struck me. I would have it again if I saw it, but would look for other porters first.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

The beer was well received however a few people thought it to be too hoppy for a porter, almost like a mix between an IPA and a porter. This can be great, but when someone expects a porter they do not expect a heave hop taste. It was great, but a little bitter for someone trying to order a porter.

3.21/5  rDev -24.3%

A good offering from Founders but not my favorite. It looked good in the glass. It was black, opaque, and had 2 fingers of coffee foam colored head riding on top. Maybe its because I like Breakfast Stout but I found this beer lacking in complexity. It seemed entirely made up of roasted coffee and lacked any chocolate and under tones I almost take for granted in dark beers. Its a good deal at $10 a six pack but in the future when I want a readily available dark beer from Founders, I am seeking out Breakfast Stout.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

Seems a bit one dimensional to me. Lots of bitterness, not unpleasant, just boring. Coffee and burt malt flavors overpower it and cover up everything else. Very slight chocolate flavor sneaks in, buit it's too little too late. Nice looking opaque black body with a thin, fast fading tan head. Medium mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

A - nice and dark but the head vanished quickly.

S - roasted bet a little bitter plus an odd under tone.

T - starts out really nice, but gets a bit too bitter in the after taste.

M - medium tingle all Oct the mouth.

D - the flavor makes you want to drink it, but the bitter finish makes you not want too many.

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not my favorite by Founders. Maybe I just prefer stouts to porters but this didnt go down as smooth as I liked and had very intense dark flavors. It was very strong and had a long finish.

look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

what a beauiful looking beer in a glass great pour great looking beer but its just me that sharpe taste to it its not hoppy which i thought it would be everybody will love this beer and they should but for me it just falls short a good surprise but not enough to like go ahead and enjoy i know you will but i cant

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

A- black body with a coffee colored head that became non-existant in a matter of a few minutes. not even a crown

S- roasted malt and alot of chocolate. tons of coffee in the nose also.

T- intensely dark and roasted. lots of chocolate, and a massive blast of coffee at the end.

M- the first thing i noticed about the mouthfeel is how smooth it is. decently thick too. upon the finish, the mouth is left very dry.

D- easy enough to finish. a bit too intense on the coffee to consider having more than one of these right now. im glad to see founders increasing their year round line up.

12oz bottle in pint glass
no date, maybe a really old bottle?

A: completely dark with a hint of brown highlights when held up to a light. No head, just a thin film. Not a pretty beer.
S: Roast malts, not much else
T: Roasted malts, a little bit of dark caramel, some graininess, slight astringency, probably from the roasted malts.
M: almost too much carbonation, bordering on tingly, weird for the style. As it warms, it becomes more "creamy" on the tongue, much more style appropriate.
O: A nice porter, but I am not loving it tonight. It seems to have all of the pieces, but something is missing. I think I will have to re-review a different six pack some time. Basically, I neither love nor hate it, I am pretty sure I have had this before and I will definitely give it another try.

3.35/5  rDev -21%

pours an opaque dark brown with spare fizzy tan head, spare lacing and soft to flat carbonation. which was weird because the taste had a bit of a soda like feel to it.nutty roasted coffee like smell with a taste much the same but has a bit of a harsh bitterness to it. medium to full body with a slick oily texture. finish is bitter with a bit of spicyness to it and average flavor duration. not really impressed.

3.35/5  rDev -21%

small tan head develops on the pour. then fades quickly to a paper thin lace which sustains thoughout the session.

nose is chocolate, and coffee with the coffee dominating.

taste is big time espresso. subtle chocolate notes. slight grassiness also pulls through. a bit acidic. slight sour finish. i would like to see a sweeter milder finish. this was a bit harsh for what i was expecting. but hey it is what it is. this is an american brewed porter.

the beer gets much better after a few sips. much more drinkable. at first sip i thought this would be a chore to finish. turns out it was quite enjoyable in the end.

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

Black, coffee colored head.

Smokey roasted, burnt dark chocolate, softened by hops.

Sweet up front, the burnt flavor comes next. The hops try to finish but the sweet flavors end it.

Soft drinkable, clean, medium body, marginal carbonation,

Better than average porter, but it's still a porter.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This tastes exactly like coffee to me. That isn't a bad thing, I am just not picking up anything else. Add cream & sugar & I'd be having this with my breakfast tomorrow morning. Maybe leave out the cream and make an ice out of that.

Overall, a good porter & a really good beer - but there are better for the money IMHO.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

A- Pours a very dark brown almost completely opaque, but does give off a very rich chocolate hue. The head is small but there as it falls between either 1/2 to 1 finger tall. Nice color on the head with a burnt toffee, but the head dissipates quickly leaving the inky body behind. Very carbonated for a porter.

S-Nicely complex. The malts are the first thing that hit you followed by the roasting process. The malts are a but too smokey however as the note is pleasant to begin with, but there does not appear to be enough sweetness in the undertones to cut through. Coffee is strong as well with a bit of tangy molasses to round it out.

M-As mentioned before, the body is very carbonated which I felt took away from a number of the flavors. Certainly this is not a stout, but any sort of body would have been appreciated.

T-The first note that hits the palate are the malts, but as detailed in the nose the smoke proves to be too much. The roast hits the tip of the tongue and proceeds to flow throughout the palate. There are a number of sweet and savory undertones, mostly coffee and \maybe vanilla bean, but having the malts hit the palate first, they mask far too many of the undertones leaving something to be desired.

O-About average to me despite the popularity.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appetizer: black and syrupy, with nominal carbonation and a moderately sweet inviting aroma

Entree: smooth initial taste, (full-bodied comes to mind), with a lingering but surprisingly, a mild unsavory aftertaste (compared to Deschutes Black Butte I'd sampled a week or so prior)--again, not a brewmaster / judge.

Dessert: would I have again? probably. Does it live up to the hype I long heard / read / saw ? not really, considering I have been sampling several porters lately, and to me, not a "craving" type that I had hoped.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours opague black with a heavy thick looking coffee colored heading. Leaves some good rings around the glass.

Smell is a bit ridiculous. Holy roasted coffee beans!!! Slight smokiness.

Taste again is insane with roasted coffee beans,again a slight smokiness but this time in the mouth I taste slight chocolate and some wood comes out.

Mouth is full bodied with good carbonation and decent velvet-like texture.Bland taste destroys the palate with coffee beans.

Drink is good. I had my hopes up about this brew but this is simply not to my liking not bad tasting but not great either as I am not a coffee drinker and this tastes exactly the same.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company