Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,429 | Hads: 6,503
3.99/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. Very nice rich mouthfeel with pretty tasty coffee notes. The hop flavor still really comes through in this beer, and it's got great flavor (150 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Well. Founders Porter. It has taken me a while to get to you hasn’t it? As the saying goes: “The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward.” And you Founders do make some of the sweetest rewards there are to be had in the Beerosphere (aka Earth). I guess for me the biding of time has been a result of hearing not the greatest things about this Porter, and little did I want to see the mighty Founders fall from grace, however having seen other reviews on this Porter and the decent aggregate score on BeerAdvocate I guess there really is little for me to fear - and I do love Stouts, whoops; Porters dearly.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Look we all know what to expect: Opaque obsidian body, rich caramel coloured half centimetre head... and Founders delivers with a beer that is as black as my black heart (I am after all an ivory trader). The head does hang around very long but who cares with that delightful inky black body inviting us to sup on its roasty nectar? 9/10.

S: Charred coffee bean, hints of ripe red coffee bean, light caramel (yes caramel, not chocolate) malts and a wild forest berry background all ties together and presents a formidable Stout Porter aroma. There is very little to fault here - it’s dark, it’s roasty, it’s wild, I’m loving it so far. 9/10.

T: Damn it, those Founders bastards have done it again (how do they keep making great beers!?) with a flavour profile that is every bit of the above aromas combined with a sublime balance between the sweet (more molasses than caramel) malts and that slight smoky charred coffee bean that provides ample enough bitterness to carry through to the finish. The aftertaste leaves a bitter note on the tongue that makes you go back for another sip... it’s almost perfect... almost. 9/10.

M: Smooth, Founders mid to heavy bodied, and did I mention smooth? It’s no Marvin Gaye smooth but it is indeed a respectable Barry White. 9/10.

D: Well I was not disappointed by this Stout Porter [what’s the deal with Stouts and Porters Doc?] if you want to know google “stout porter history” and you will learn that a Stout is a Porter - the style began as “Stout Porter” or a heavier version of a Porter, which this Founders really is at 6.5% ABV. Now we come to the crux of it with this brew, for me at least, it’s a redundant beer: between FBS and FIS I see little reason to buy this brew, and that is a shame. 7/10.

Food match: I’m going to go Medieval banquet on this brew - or chargrilled steaks. (2,521 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%

Just the right amount of heaviness, satisfying but it doesn't leave you feeling stuffed.

Sweet, but not too sweet.

Very malty, but not overwhelming, and a very smooth after taste.

Not much else to say, this is just one delicious beer. Definitely the best porter I've ever had. (281 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great porter! I'm actually very surprised that the class 6 here on ft polk carries such high quality beer. I guess they figure some soldiers actually want top notch beverages. Anyways, I recommend it to anyone who loves beer. (225 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good chocolate and coffee smell and taste. Nice maltiness that accompanies the chocolate and coffee. Good but not too heavy mouthfeel that gives back note chocolates. Chocolate is in the forefront and backend tastes. Good sweetness and little bitterness (253 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Been enjoying this beer for quite some time but never rated it. Poured into pisner glass. The color is jet black with very thin white head and minimal lacing. This is a very aromatic beer with a strong smell of burnt coffee and chocolate. The taste is similar to the smell: burnt coffee, chocolate, and a hint of caramel but finishes with a distinct bitterness. Nice, thick mouth feel. Overall, this is one terrific porter, especially for one available year round. I'm prejudiced because this is the first Founders beer I tried but it is really good! (556 characters)

Quite delicious. I've had a few porters, and this one stands out. Smooth and rich, and not for someone looking for a light drink. Like a meal in a bottle. Not too expensive, either. Yum. (186 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thick dark pour, minimal head, nothing on the glass. Hearty with minimal, perfect carbonation. Chocolate, mocha etc. etc. A hop bite at the end that stays for a while along with a wee bit more alcohol than you would imagine for a 6.5 ABV. Very Nice! (250 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the best Porter I've had so far. Well balanced, nice gentle body, with a smooth and destinctive hint of chocolate, and so slight bitterness that works well with the caramel & cocoa aftertaste. (200 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not my favorite by Founders. Maybe I just prefer stouts to porters but this didnt go down as smooth as I liked and had very intense dark flavors. It was very strong and had a long finish. (187 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Did a little side-by-side the other night with GL Ed Fitz, Odell Cutthroat, and Deschutes BB, all of which I always enjoy. But in comparison, Founders just killed it, to my surprise. (183 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the Patrick Roy of porters, the porter which with all others must now be compared. Founders substantiates the state of Michigan in the brewing community. If the sitcom Fargo could be enhanced by a beer, it is this beer. I would rather have one six pack of Founders Porter per week for the rest of my life than world peace, the ability to fly, or Scarlett Johansson. (373 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

There's a reason why Founder's is mentioned any time there's a discussion of breweries with solid (indeed, excellent) line-ups. Had as part of flight. Dark chocolate in color with a mocha head, aroma of roasted malt, dark fruits, a little baking cocoa. Taste follows, with some smokey, roasted bitterness. Thick and beautiful feel. (331 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

Well done Founders. One of my favourite porters. Cant get enough, the heaviness is exactly what I was looking for. Goes really good with Muenster cheese. (153 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not sure I've had a better porter. This is a great reminder of why this is my favorite style of beer. This particular beer has just the right blend of malt, smoke, coffee, chocolate. So good. (191 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I am drinking this at Brasserie Zentral from a bottle while eating foie gras – the lable on the bottle goes surprisingly well with the restaurant.
A: Brilliant chestnut body topped with a 1” finely bubbled light tan collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: A chocolate caramel nose hides an assertive bitter finish.
T: Sweet caramel chocolate culminates in a balancing bitter hop accent.
F: Silky smooth, medium full body, very fine soft carbonation.
O: Amazed at how well this goes with foie gras. (512 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Midnight black with a frothy tan head.
S: Roasted malt, raisins, dried fruit, a hint of sweetness.
T: Toasted bread, nutty, slight bitterness combined with a hint of chocolate like sweetness. Had a nice dry finish with a slight kick of alcoholic warmth and some smokiness.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation.
O: Very good porter. Was enjoyable from the first to the last sip. (380 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Digging founders right now! Everyone was telling me to try breakfast stout so i got one and a porter and enjoyed the porter a little more. Both are fantastic!! (159 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Milk chocolate foam which is extremely short lived, well carbonated with slight sweetness in the aroma. Obvious chocolate, with slight acidic taste in the fore front. Evenly bittered with a slight coffee/smokey aftertaste. Extremely enjoyable! (243 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Thick head, over an inch that is brown with big bubbles. Head dissipates slowly. Completely opaque with a reddish tint near the edges.

S - Malt, prunes, chocolate

T - Dark sweet fruits at the front. Chocolate in the middle. A mild hoppy bitter finish. No strong alcohol taste.

M - Minimal alcohol and carbonation burn.

O - A solidly good beer, but nothing exciting. Does what it needs to as a porter. Not too bitter, with a nice taste. (454 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not a Porter fan (for the most part) but I am a big fan of this beer! It has a tremendous bold flavor and the color and smell of this beer are full of flavor as well. (170 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Decent Porter, but I have better and this is why:

Appearance: Dark almost black, decent amount of head lingering globs of lacing are on the side of the glass and present on the layer that lies over the top of the beer.

Aroma: Some malts, a little hop citrus like notes, but not anything like a black IPA.

Taste: Fairly straightforward nothing outstanding, there is a bit of hop bite to this one which makes it a little bit different but then again some Porters are more hop forward, I tend to like mine more roast malts and creamy.

Overall: Not the best porter I have had tonight. I liked my local breweries offering better, I am not being biased but they made a solid beer! (679 characters)

I think it's perfect. Alcohol content is just right for me and so is the bitterness. Coffee taste is not harsh at all. I like this better than their breakfast stout, but that is still good too. If you like porters and stouts then you should definately appreciate this brew. (275 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I just did a porter taste off of some of my favorite breweries: left hand, Great Lakes, and boulder. Founders stood out. Full flavor, full body, best taste. Biggest difference I notice outside of taste, was color. Founders is much darker than the rest. Maybe it's the closest to a stout, with the highest ABV. Might be why it's my favorite, but regardless, this is an awesome beer. (387 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Black in color and no light seeps through. A fingernail of khaki head covers the rim and a third of the top. Alluring aroma of roasted barley with hints of coffee, figs, and a hint of smoke. The flavor is intense with roasted barley, smoked malt, and piney hops give it a different bitter direction. The mouth is chewy and viscous. (335 characters)

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company