2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,621 | Reviews: 1,284 | Show All Ratings:
tburus

Kentucky

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark caramel colored liquid. Minimal carbonation. One-finger tan head that dissolved into lacing quickly, staying think around the glass.

Smell: Primarily coffee aroma, with a bit of chocolate as it warms.

Taste: Again coffee dominates, but there are more complexities to it. Refreshing tingle on the tongue as it enters, followed by coffee on the palate, and chocolate on the sides. Reminiscent of the Breakfast Stout, but sufficiently unique and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Heavy bitter coffee aftertaste. Typically I am not a fan of this, but bitter coffee as a flavor in beer is something that's growing on me. More coffee aftertaste than the Breakfast Stout. Complex.

Drinkability: This is an excellent porter. Great dimension to the beer's flavor. And being on of the cheaper Founders offerings (~$10 per 6 pack), it is very much worth buying.

01-09-2011 07:08:36 | More by tburus
tgorgz

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

P/A: On draft at Fuel & Fuddle in Pittsburgh, PA.
Very dark chocolate- think 80%, with a milk chocolate head.

S: Good amount of coffee. Not as much chocolate as expected.

T: It kind of seemed to run together a little. More coffee than anything else.

M: Think, chewy, excellence.

O: Well done, folks. Not my fave from Founder's, but an excellent beer.

12-02-2011 03:44:47 | More by tgorgz
supernaut

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Haven't reviewed a beer in quite some time despite trying many many beers over the past few years...but this porter, wow! Had to write a few comments.

To be honest, it totally caught me by suprise. I haven't kept up with rankings and have really only heard the occasional hype about x or y special release beers. So to take a flyer on one of the couple of Founders beers I hadn't yet tried...man, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Appearance: Starts off with a great pour. I had mine from the bottle, but it poured a deep deep brownish black with tons of frothiness to it. The head was super pillowy and incredibly appealing

Smell: Equally alluring after the impressive pour. The smokiness really stands out to me here. Some of the same feedback I get when enjoying a good singlemalt...some smokey, almost peaty tones come through.

Taste: This is what its all about. The smokiness came alive with a burst of accompanying coffee, chocolate, caramel....all of which lingered. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich. Someone else mentioned that it was almost stout-like. I came away with the exact same impression. This isn't to say that it's untrue to the style. On the contrary, I think Founders has packed so much flavor into this particular porter...that the mouthfeel is just so much richer than what is typical.

This is one of the better beers (especially since Porters are not my favorite) I've had in a long time. It's actually got me excited about reviewing beers again...ha!

02-08-2012 03:48:50 | More by supernaut
Aleks_P

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very thick and smooth, dark dark brown. Pretty healthy brown/tan head, thick and dissipates very slowly.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee dominate.

Taste: Smoky and chocolate, hint of sweetness. Definitely pick up some coffee bitterness as well, don't really notice any bitterness until the aftertaste. Very rich taste, lot of flavors that balance really well.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy.

Overall: I was very impressed with this beer, realize I didn't have much to write in the sections above but everything I noted was done very well. This is a really rich beer with a lot of porter-appropriate flavors that I noticed in phases during each drink. I would definitely go out of my way to order this if I saw someplace that had it on draft.

10-06-2013 02:02:08 | More by Aleks_P
tylernim

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Dark and foreboding. Tan head about two fingers tall, webs the entire glass as you go.

S - Huge burnt chocolate notes hit you right away.

T - Follows the smell, although a bit more subdued. Chocolate, coffee, burnt malts.

M - Carbonation on the tongue. Medium.

D - Good for such a dark one.

10-17-2010 16:29:59 | More by tylernim
SFrankBrew

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a deep dark brown with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained good lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, cream. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a very good brew.

02-17-2011 13:34:26 | More by SFrankBrew
markmiller

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

I poured this far too cold into a snifter, and it seemed incredibly flat. Leaves nice lacing as it drinks, and a swirl of the glass produces great fizz.

Scents of sweet creamy mocha and roasted maltiness. Very nice and inviting.

Taste is great for a porter. Like a subdued Imperial Stout. Roasty, coffee, tons of cream, chocolate and deliciousness. Hardly any bitterness.

A bit thin for me, would have liked a little more coating.

A absolute stellar porter. Enjoyable to the last drip from the glass. Again, I wish Founders was available to me more often.

06-20-2012 02:26:15 | More by markmiller
Cyrano41

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Had this one poured from the bottle into a goblet.
Appearance: Black with a thin half-finger of head, nice lacing on the glass as it went down. Close inspection reveals lots of tiny bubbles fizzing bottom to top.
Smell: Malt, yeast, burnt coffee and chocolate. A bit of a tingle on the nose.
Taste: Very heavy, more like a stout to me. The burnt coffee & chocolate first, then malt and hops. The finish lingers reminding me of bitter medicine.
Mouthfeel: Like I said, this was heavier than I anticipated.
Overall: I was looking forward to cracking this one open. Disappointing. Porter isn't my favorite style, but I really enjoy Orginal Flag and crave the occasional Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. This one, not so much. Out of respect to the brothers and my fellow BAs I'll give this one another shot but I'll have my porter lovin' buddy standing by for the handoff.

06-28-2012 15:30:38 | More by Cyrano41
darkstar12

Maryland

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: pitch black. thin one-finger tan-colored head that dissipated quickly down to a thin layer that remained throughout. No lacing.

S: strong coffee and malt tones. Very pleasant.

T: strong coffee and malt tones. Interesting and enjoyable mix of bitter and sweet elements.

M: good thick chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation is pronounced and appropriate to the beer.

O: Great porter. Well worth having again.

08-06-2012 00:35:07 | More by darkstar12
sethcroisant

Nebraska

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- very dark brown, looks more like a stout. literally no head at all and barely any lacing. very strange, could have been an off batch.

S- loads of chocolate and coffee. roasted malts and hops are secondary, but still linger. some sugary sweetness and alcohol are also present. complex and multi-layered.

T- roasted malts and hops are up front. some chocolate and coffee flavors balance the flavor a little. black patent malt is dominant in the after taste.

O- a weird beer. i say that, because the appearance and consistency were strange, but it's still a joy to drink. a nice, assertive porter.

01-22-2013 01:55:28 | More by sethcroisant
JuliusCaesar

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Black, little to no head

S: Dark chocolate and coffee with a hint of booze

T: Bitter dark chocolate and dark roast coffee. Nice bitter finish evens every thing out. No alcohol

M: Smooth and light

Overall: A great Porter. Not as aggressive as Smutty's Robust but better than others I've had. A very enjoyable beer.

03-09-2013 00:43:28 | More by JuliusCaesar
AllFineThings

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a thin caramelized looking head. Has a heavy smell of toffee, chocolate and coffee.

Tastes better and better as it warms, thick black body that let's you know this a real porter. The taste is the same as the smell.

By far my favorite porter and second favorite beer overall.

12-19-2010 23:57:32 | More by AllFineThings
Jenkster4

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours pitch black, with almost a fingers worth of chocolate colored head. It is a sexy one indeed.

Nose: Nice amount of chocolate, smooth roasted malt aroma. Not a very potent smelling brew, but it is pleasant.

Taste: Smooth milk chocolate, a little coffee bitterness, also some black licorice, and yummy roasted malts. It's damn good.

Mouth: Silky and smooth. There is hardly any aftertaste, just a nice bitterness factor that lingers for a few seconds and then it's gone.

Overall: Not the best, but it's up there with the best porters that I've had. It's just really tasty and rather simple, but that's what makes it nice. I would get this again, easily.

08-22-2011 18:54:17 | More by Jenkster4
jm1229

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

I'm back at school for my senior year, yet the most exciting part about being back on the east coast is the new selection of beer I get to try. After being (what I would say) well versed in the realm of west coast beer, I get to learn all over again over here.

12 oz bottle opened on 9/1/11 and poured into a pint glass. Served at 55 degrees. Bottle dated 6/8/11.

A- Black as night. Really surprised me how dark it was. One inch mocha head leaving thick lacing down the glass. Looks really nice.

S- I could smell this as soon as I poured it. Mostly smells of roasted chocolate, coffee, and sweet malts.

T- Follows the nose, but there's a lot more roasted flavor coming out. Nice bitter after taste of roasted malts and coffee.

M- Maybe a little much on the carbonation as it prickles my tongue slightly. I do prefer a smoother beer when it gets darker, but perhaps that's just the kind of stout lover I am (yes, I understand this isn't a stout). Nice and creamy, definitely satisfying beer.

O- The porter was my very first introduction to the craft beer scene. That being said, this is a great beer and I prefer it to the Anchor Porter (which was the said first beer). Great beer. Glad I bought a sixer.

09-02-2011 00:56:51 | More by jm1229
DougT

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dated 11/17/13. Today is 1/5/14. Poured into a pint glass.

Black with a chocolate brown 2+ finger head. I saw some other reviews that didn't have the head or lace this one does. The initial foamy head was rich and thick. A nice layer left all the way through the bottle. The lacing sticks to the sides nicely.

Sweet smell of milk chocolate hits the nose first. A little roast in the middle. Slight hop aroma last. Smells delicious.

Taste of bitter hops and malt. There is a subtle chocolate flavor. Quite tasty.

A strong medium mouthfeel with nice effervescence that coats the whole mouth and dances on the tongue.

I drinkable, full on porter. Verging on a Stout. I like this very much. Founders hit another one.

01-05-2014 05:30:06 | More by DougT
luciusgilmer

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

A: poured a bottle into a tulip glass; disappointed by the lack of head and generally uniform color

S: decent smell, a coffee or chocolate laced porter

T: tasted a bit thick, like unsweetened chocolate or bitter coffee, but I didn't think it was very subtle.

M: not much carbonation (maybe an older bottle?), but fine

D: I drink porter regularly, but this wouldn't be my first or 2nd choice. It's a quality beer, like all Founder's I've had, but not top notch compared to others, and it didn't make me want to grab another.

01-06-2009 18:09:18 | More by luciusgilmer
Or80rowley

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A. Dark, almost opaque, thin mocha colored head

S. Delightful, sweet light roasted coffee, dark chocolate

T. Taste is slightly bitter coco, coffee, very nice balance between the two, into roasted earthy tones

M. It is smooth & creamy, medium mouth coat, fairly dry finish, nice grain aftertaste

O. Between this one & black butte porter, I can't choose, but both my favorite porter, must try!

01-14-2014 23:24:43 | More by Or80rowley
fscottkey

3.79/5  rDev -11%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Black in color with no light penetration. Gorgeous 1 1/2 finger head that is made of uniform bubbles. The head lasts a long time - and is dense enough to reshape as you move the glass.

S: There is a smoked or charred smell. Like a charred hardwood. It almost smells like hickory smoked meat.

T: Smoke up front then again at the back. Slight mocha taste as it warms.

M: Dry feeling but goes down easily

O: The appearance on this one is amazing! If you handed this to me and said it was a smoked porter I would believe it. There is a lot of smoke essence in there. This one is good - but I wanted to love it and I am not there.

03-13-2014 00:56:58 | More by fscottkey
jngrizzaffi

4.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured dark brown with very little head, which quickly dissipated. Lacing on the side of the glass was minimal to non-existent. Smelled of dark roasted coffee. I can discern dark chocolate as well. The taste pretty much goes along with the smell. Roasted coffee predominates initially with a sweeter dark chocolate taste at the end. It was thick and velvety going down. Very slight bitterness at the end. Very good beer. I am just getting into Porters, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but it is definitely one I would drink again.

04-13-2014 14:55:08 | More by jngrizzaffi
guitarsnbeer

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured this fresh porter into my snifter and it yeilded about 2" of nice tan froath over a dark looking brew. lots of lace

smell hits me with roasted coffee notes and chocolate malts.

Taste follows with the roasted coffee/choc and hits with a nice hop bite in the middle somewhere, finishing up with more burnt and roasted charactoristics.

Quite a light bodied beer for all the flavor and ABV it is packin', at least in my opinion.

Overall I'm glad a grabed this random 6'er to pair with the porkchops going on the grill shortly. I knew it has a good reputation and Im backing that up.

06-19-2011 21:49:16 | More by guitarsnbeer
Brouwerij78

Yes, I am a bit biased toward a thick heady porter, but I digress from my point. This porter has it all...a bit sweet, a bit rich, a bit chocolatey, a bit coffee laden and a lot delicious. It pours smoothly from the tap and settles a little like a Guinness in your pint glass. On the inhale, the sweet and rich aroma gets your palate prepared for a nice sip of an almost a coffee ice cream milk shake-like goodness. This would go nicely with a hefty gourmet burger or even an acid cigar (perhaps the Kub Kuba for good measure?). Highly recommended.

10-02-2013 17:31:08 | More by Brouwerij78
Gunslinger711

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Group tasting notes from 2-18-11
Poured out of a bottle.
Served in a goblet.

A- Pours out like dark coffee with dark head, sign of a good porter to me. Good amount of lacing as well.

S- You get a good whiff of burnt coffee.

M- Light mouthfeel for this dark of a beer.

T- Good malt on the front end of this, harsh coffee bite on the back end. My testers and I noticed this beer, like several other Founder's beers, has a "Founder's beer taste". The easiest way to explain it is go to Founder's brewpub (preferably on an emptier night) and get a whiff or three. The brewpub and by extension some Founder's beers all taste/smell like brewpub. You get a good taste/smell of Founder's Porter/Dirty Bastard/Breakfast stout.

D- Delicious porter, delicious Founder's beer. Infinitely drinkable.

Food - The Bacon Caramel Brownies and Dark Chocolate Truffles both cut down on the coffee bite on the end and make this beer better.

Overall- Drinkability section says it all.

03-09-2011 03:11:49 | More by Gunslinger711
Brewsky29

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

This beer pours pitch black almost like thin motor oil in a good way with quarter inch of tan head with plenty of lacing.

Smells of roasted malts slightly smokey.

Taste is similar to the nose malty roast smokey and sweet with minor hop bitterness.

This beer feels thick with very little carbonation, but it is very smooth.

Overall I really like this porter, it was part of a sample case, and would get this beer again.

12-14-2011 21:14:22 | More by Brewsky29
turnerk3

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +4%

A: Pours a dark walnut brown hew with a feeble tan, chocolatey color head. Appears almost true black once fully settled. Excellent retention that keeps true to the style.

S: Outstanding chocolatey, toffee, caramel, coffee, roasty aromas enthrall the nose. The essence is like walking between a Starbucks and a Hershey's factory.

T: A complexion of sweet chocolate and bitter coffee notes coat the palate exceptionally well. The hops are utilized admirably by bring out the coffee bitterness.

M: A pleasant amount of carbonation that does well at delivering the flavors throughout the mouth. A minor dry feel that leaves one wanting more. However, there's a unique sticky, chewy type of feel that seems to be more imagined than real due to the chocolate and coffee flavors.

O: An exemplary brew that serves well to represent the style. Founder's is a superb brewery and this is just another one of their impressive products. Even though I am a hop-head, this was a delicious beer.

08-01-2012 23:04:00 | More by turnerk3
BhamBeerLover

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Very heavy chocolate smell and taste which is true to this beer's style. Seemed overcarbonated for a porter though which detracted from this beer's great taste and smell. Would recommend to anyone who was looking for a good porter of the chocolate persuasion. Fine beer from a pretty good brewery.

10-20-2012 01:38:25 | More by BhamBeerLover