Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,429 | Hads: 6,495
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black oil pour with massive mocha brown head with alot of retention.

Sweet, burnt mocha and molasses aroma fills the nostrils.

Taste is well balanced with sweetness and bitterness of the hops . Flavor very much like it smells. slight burnt roastiness but not enough to lose the sweetness for porter style.

Creamy, balanced mouthfeel with back end hops and clean finish.

Tastes like a bigger beer than the 6.5 Abv implies. Very easy drinking but full of flavor. Not overpowering. Satisfy the imperial craving with friends without the big alcohol effect.

I love this beer and about every style from Founders. Lucky to have them close in distribution. (658 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too often in a fit of “oh shit the baby’s going to wake up, poop everywhere and need to be changed, fed and played with” I don’t let the beer mellow, to come down a few degrees. I started this review in haste before deciding to take my own advice. Glad I did.

STYLE: American Porter

ABV: 6.5%

LOOK: Unremarkable, the midpoint between oily and soda. An appalling lack of lacing. What head?

NOSE: We’re off to a rather good start. Over a foot away, I can smell the chocolate and red fruits as it pours. Better as it warms. Smoother too. We’ve gone from metallic to mid-range coffee.

MOUTH: It settles into coffee and lightly burnt malts. Not the extraordinary failure I thought it was at first. Medium body, dirty, barn doors, green pear. It has to be sessionable, but not because the ABV is relatively low. It simply lacks something robust, be it flavor or texture.

Beeradvocate Rating: 95

ratebeer Rating: 100

Hayward Abbey Rating: 82 (954 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12ounce bottle into pint glass. Opaque black body with about half inch of coffee cream colored head. Aroma of coffee and dark chocolate. Thick mouthfeel which reminds me of an Imperial stout. Very slight alcohol bite. The flavors starts of dark chocolate and black coffee . Hints of licorice and more chocolate as it finishes semi dry on the palate. This beer represents an exceptional porter. Please let this warmup to about 50 degrees or so as the chocolate flavors become even more pronounced. A real decadent treat. (533 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours nearly jet black, small quickly dissipating head.

Smells robust and delicious.

Roasted coffee, chocolate malts, nice balanced bittering.

Very smooth, Creamy, rich mouthfeel. Warm in my belly.

In my opinion this is the finest porter I have consumed. Love you (268 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured this into my flying dog glass and pours into a dark brown/black color that lets no light through. Has a fingernail head that follows the drink down.

Has a very nice smell of roasted malts, toffee and a hint of coffee. Very nice complex taste with very little carbonation and a nice finish of malts.

Has a nice mouthfeel but a decent drinkibility. THis is still a nice porter that I would recommend to any porter lover. (427 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: pitch black. thin one-finger tan-colored head that dissipated quickly down to a thin layer that remained throughout. No lacing.

S: strong coffee and malt tones. Very pleasant.

T: strong coffee and malt tones. Interesting and enjoyable mix of bitter and sweet elements.

M: good thick chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation is pronounced and appropriate to the beer.

O: Great porter. Well worth having again. (444 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Enjoyed 11/24/2012 from the bottle

Appearance: Dark, dark brown. Creamy brown head.
Aroma: Dark chocolate, smooth roastiness

Taste: Lots of dark chocolate, roasted bitterness. Very creamy.

Mouthfeel: Very silky, creamy feel. Really nice. Not overly thick (as in, not imperial stout kind of thick).

Overall: Mouthfeel is great. Nice head retention and lacing too, but too much roasted bitterness for me. Would like it a touch more balanced. (443 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5%

to be honest i am pretty disappointed by most porters and wasn't expecting much from this one and boy was i wrong. pours pitch black with brownish-cola edges and a dark khaki head. the nose is rich and deep - dark chocolates, dark almost burnt toast, coffee, milk chocolate raisins and the slight burnt/smoky notes that are common to many porters but are much more intense here. the taste follows - lots of sweet and bittersweet chocolate, campfire smoke, dark toasted almonds - a little booze heat at the end. the mouthfeel is great - rich and smooth, chewy but not cloying, and for such a sweet beer finishes dry. all in all i really enjoyed this and might even get it again, which is rare for me and porters. i would recommend. (730 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours think and black. Or should I say dark, rich and sexy? Nice dark brown head. Beautiful.

S - That is so nice. Roasted malt and coffee and that unmistakable "porter" smell.

T - Very, very roasty with bitter coffee and a bit of sweet. Some mild hop to compliment it. The lingering taste is a great mix of the roasted and sweet malt.

M - So smooth. It may just be that RIS is my favorite style but this is amazing going down.

D- I know that the %6+ ABV is too high for the sessionable police but I'd say this is the most sessionable beer I've ever had. (561 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bottle into an Imperial pint glass. I must preface this review by stating that I drink this beer on a regular basis both bottled and on tap and find it rather exceptional. It is a great year-round 6 pack porter that always statisfies my desire for something dark.

A - Deep brown almost black, very opaque, with a small tan head that dissipates shortly after pouring. Does leave a small amount of lacing after each sip.

S - Very full roasted malty aroma followed by a toffee, caramel sweetness. Hints of chocolate in the background

T - Ahhh, delicious. Starts out strong of sweet roasted malts, caramel and toffee fading into chocolate and the ever so slight hint of burnt coffee and alcohol on the finish. Amazingly drinkable.

M - Full bodied, well stated. Reinforces the darkness and well rounded flavor of the beer.

O - Great porter overall. Readily excessable in Ohio if you know where to look. The 6.5% ABV coupled with the fantastic qualities of the beer as a whole make it a desirable beer to spend a couple of pints with. Pick up a 6 pack the next time you see it, you won't be dissapointed. (1,118 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A - About as brown as a beer can be without being black. Looks gorgeous. Tried to be aggressive with a head but didn't get much. Half a finger espresso head, goes away fast.

S - Toasted malts and a fine chocolate.

T - More chocolate and a roasted character. The taste has a great balance of flavors, can really pull all kind of elements from this beer but the roasted notes shine.

M - The high point of the beer for me. My local bottle shop labels this as 'Sexy, Silky, and Smooth'. I couldn't think of a better description, esp silky. Feels so great in your mouth with just the right carbonation.

O - Just picked up several six packs of this. When I'm looking for a balanced porter this is my go to. (705 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

I'm back at school for my senior year, yet the most exciting part about being back on the east coast is the new selection of beer I get to try. After being (what I would say) well versed in the realm of west coast beer, I get to learn all over again over here.

12 oz bottle opened on 9/1/11 and poured into a pint glass. Served at 55 degrees. Bottle dated 6/8/11.

A- Black as night. Really surprised me how dark it was. One inch mocha head leaving thick lacing down the glass. Looks really nice.

S- I could smell this as soon as I poured it. Mostly smells of roasted chocolate, coffee, and sweet malts.

T- Follows the nose, but there's a lot more roasted flavor coming out. Nice bitter after taste of roasted malts and coffee.

M- Maybe a little much on the carbonation as it prickles my tongue slightly. I do prefer a smoother beer when it gets darker, but perhaps that's just the kind of stout lover I am (yes, I understand this isn't a stout). Nice and creamy, definitely satisfying beer.

O- The porter was my very first introduction to the craft beer scene. That being said, this is a great beer and I prefer it to the Anchor Porter (which was the said first beer). Great beer. Glad I bought a sixer. (1,213 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours black as night, but not thick as I thought it would be. Can't be a judge of the head because I poured it very gently.

Smells of coffee and smokey, earthy, hops. Hints of chocolate or mocha too.

Flavor profile follows the nose almost entirely. Super flavorful and potent despite what you'd expect from the lower ABV.

Tastes of toffee and chocolate remain on the palette remain following each sip, and this beer stays with you long after you're finished drinking it.

It's a solid porter, but it leaves me wanting a breakfast stout or a KBS. (548 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I poured this from a bottle into a proper Porter tulip glass. It pours black, with a beautiful tan head. There's decent lacing.

Smell: The nose boasts caramel, sweet bread, and cereal, roasted coffee and malts. It’s a very pleasant aroma that, unfortunately, fades soon after the pour.

Taste: I taste roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, and a little smoke. This porter finshes nicely with grassy espresso hops and the faint memory of bakers cocoa (and maybe a little raisin?).

Mouthfeel: I don’t get the Brewer’s claim of a "silky" mouth feel. This beer is somewhat watery (medium to light tongue weight), with moderate carbonation affecting the back of my tongue.

Overall: This is a very nice porter with very drinkable appeal. I just wish the bouquet held out a litttle longer. Other than that, it's very tasty with rich flavor. I'd love to find this stuff on tap somewhere to REALLY get the full experience! This certainly is a "dark, rich, & sexy" porter that I wouldn't kick out of bed! Founders does it again. (1,036 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Apperance: Dark beer with a light brown head.
Aroma: Rich toasted barely and coffee smell with molasses.
Flavor: Rich smooth coffee and molasses first layer, accented with a complex blend of spices. This brew is  hoppy thought out. It is a bold full bodied beer, with good carbonation.
Overall: This is a good Porter with its complex blend of spices. With an IBU of 45, the hoppiness of this Porter is quite pounced. This beer is more full bodied than most Porters. (466 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one great beer! I will purchase this brew often. The color and taste are something that I remember from drinking this style of beer in the past. you can find it in some but not all beer stores in NJ. I look forward to drinking the other founders beer. (259 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Pours a coffee brown, with a brownish, grayish ½ inch head. Watery, carbonated, lacing on the side of the glass on initial pour.

S: Roasted malt and coffee nose. Nose is not overwhelming, but fair.

M/T: Medium, syrupy body that slides down the tongue. Roasted malt hit, followed by a carbonated sting and coffee flavors. Finishes earthy and malty, that takes over the whole tongue. Fairly balanced.

D: With a very high APV and a thick malty aftertaste, this beer is not session able, however the alcohol base is barely noticeable. Solid drinker. (555 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into goblet glass

A: Slick and solid sporting a mean opacity obstructing all light. Medium pour generated a one-finger head with copper luster, although it didn’t seem to stick around too long. Retention is low and carbonation is difficult to discern. Body looks like it’s bringing some viscosity, which is enticing.

S: Sweet caramel and robust malt infused with rich dark chocolate accompanied by hints of coffee and mild roast. Sweetness pervades the nose trailed by milkier coco and notes of toffee.

T: Roasty caramelized malt and superb dark coffee flooded with fine chocolate and weak anise-licorice spice – tantalizing vanilla bean. The roasted character instills a subtle smokiness that imparts light birch and some earth. The caramelized aroma brings a sugary sweetness reminiscent of the milk stout style. Powerful hop character, but hardly noticeable over the mean malts and bittersweet cacao.

M: Well bodied, excellent for a porter. Low carbonation, mouth filling, like drinking velvety oil. After taste is sweet and lingering – not too dry, pleasant

O: This is a mean porter, that’s for sure. Honestly it drinks like a milk stout that has been amped up with more intense hop character and rich roasted malt. Sweet but balanced with dark chocolate and coffee bean. Always have to comment on the body of porters, and this one is basically where I wanted it. Founders clearly knows what they’re doing, this is delicious. (1,464 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- very dark brown, looks more like a stout. literally no head at all and barely any lacing. very strange, could have been an off batch.

S- loads of chocolate and coffee. roasted malts and hops are secondary, but still linger. some sugary sweetness and alcohol are also present. complex and multi-layered.

T- roasted malts and hops are up front. some chocolate and coffee flavors balance the flavor a little. black patent malt is dominant in the after taste.

O- a weird beer. i say that, because the appearance and consistency were strange, but it's still a joy to drink. a nice, assertive porter. (602 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours deep brown/black with about a finger of tan head, little retention or lacing.
S: Roastiness, chocolate, coffee.
T: Coffee, roastiness, a little hoppy, slightly sweet, bitter, very strong with alcohol.
M: Thick, creamy, pretty carbonated.
D: The ABV isn't too high with this beer, but for whatever reason I felt like the taste of alcohol or something was too overwhelming. Almost enough to make me not like this beer. Overall its a good beer, but I would probably look for other porters. (495 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Here's my first of my first set of reviews! Let me know how to improve!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

I used a fast pouring technique, but the head remainged small and it disipated quickly.

It's a pitch black porter. I held it up to my kitchen light and absolutely no light was penetrating it.

It has a nice smokey smell, reminds me of old homes (in a good way). A hint of dark chocolate mixes with it.

The initial taste is almost woodsey and that slightly earthen taste mixes well with the scent. It's a treat for the senses. It's not a "filling" porter, but it's a great sipping beer.

Possibly, in part, due to the lower alcohol content of this porter, it has a pretty high drinkability. This is my "go to" porter, my favorite style as a craft beer newbie, and I always make sure I grab a bottle or two when I hit the craft beer store. (860 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours a solid black body with a very minimal mocha colored head. Minimal amounts of lacing.

S- Roasted malt character up front. Notes of coffee, caramel, and bittersweet chocolate. The slightest hint of alcohol pokes through.

T- Exceptional, and similar to smell. Roasted malts and coffee flavors immediately strike the palate, followed by the dark chocolate and caramel flavors. There is a somewhat pleasant bitterness in the aftertaste. The coffee flavors become extremely more prevalent as the beer warms up.

M- Very full and rich. Relatively low carbonation, even for the style. Nothing I'll ever complain about, though.

D- Sits rather heavy. I'm not sure if I could drink more than two. Great after dinner beer. (723 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Big and dark brown, with a milk chocolate head, this thing checks in a little heavier than most, at 6.5 percent ABV. There's a full rounded mouthfeel and excellent head retention, indicating a nice protein body, with a generous and completely balanced hop finish.

Although not as well known as many of their offerings, this is an above average porter, an excellent winter warmer, and one well worth seeking out. (412 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Bitter in the front, smooth and slightly chewy in the back.

I love the surprisingly bold addition of hops that bucket balances the smooth chocolate base.

Good when its cold but better as it warms up

Chocolatey and smooth as heck.

Can't go wrong with a 6 pack of this in your fridge. (290 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Look: Dark as night chocolate color with little to no head.

Smell: Lots of chocolate smells, mild roast very rich.

Taste: Rich, chocolate flavors. Paired it with some caramel chocolate and it went nicely with this balanced beer.

Feel: Felt plain in the mouth didn't wow me but wasn't very heavy either.

Overall: This beer surprised me. Tried to compare this to Sierra Nevada's porter and this one takes it for sure. (426 characters)

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company