Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes. Pours a jet black color into dimpled mug with a little bit of a mocha head that dissipates to leave a lacing around the glass.
Smells of roasted malts, coffee, cocoa and a bit of hop presence.
Taste/Mouthfeel; Rich full roasty malts up in the front that has a nice presence of the coffee and a bit of cocoa that instead of being milky or watery has a crispness in the warming finish thanks to the subtle use of hops.
Overall another very solid entry from Founders. Very good, full flavored porter that has a nice crisp warming finish. And it comes in a 6 so you can share with your friends, rather than stash and horde.

Blueribbon666, Feb 19, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

bdkucharski, Feb 18, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Wow! This is a stout cunningly disguised as a porter. Super dark brown, almost black. 1 inch tan head on top. Only a pinch of light gets through this giving it dark ruby highlights around the edges.

S- Coffee up front. toasted chocolate and smokey.

T- Coffee and roasted hops. Good toasted flavor. Light caramel. Leaves a warm bitter coffee finish on your tongue. Complex flavors though.

M- This think has a very dry finish, like a red wine. Great body to it.

O- This is one of the best porters I have had. Great coffee flavor and wonderful sipper.

stckhndlr, Feb 18, 2012

SaintJonah, Feb 17, 2012

NickyDee21, Feb 17, 2012

CarpalTunnell, Feb 16, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Black color, even when held up to the light. Head is off-white, kind of brown.

Smells roasty, smoky--lots of roasted malt and chocolate notes.

Flavor is spot on--chocolate and coffee notes, roasted barley flavors, and pretty smooth. Less milky than some, and there's a bit of crispness and light hops in the finish. Leaves lingering chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium--it's actually lighter than I expected. Low-medium carbonation.

This is a really good porter; glad I tried it. The flavor profile is great, though overall I think the lighter body doesn't match up to the robustness of the flavor.

musicforairports, Feb 16, 2012

demgoth, Feb 16, 2012

Jparkanzky, Feb 15, 2012

Sterno, Feb 15, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

I'm new to the reviews, this being my first, so go easy on me. I'm actually, relatively, new to the "Microbeer" scene all together, but I thought I would give my 2 cents.
Now that I'm into the Microbeer scene and living in Michigan, I'm in HEAVEN!
That said, Founder's Porter was the first Porter/Stout I had ever taste. At first I was not impressed. I had bought a 6 pack, felt I had to "Swallow the rest down". But after the 6er was gone, I desired more! Founder's Porter was what got me to love the taste of Stouts all together so I LOVE it!!!
Most of my reviews, at least at this point in time, I will be skipping the whole: A,S,T,M,O thing and be giving my reasons why I like or dislike the beer. Being a newbie and all, I think that's best.
As far as Founder's Porter, so far it's the best Porter I have tried to date, but all I have to compare it with is Bell's Porter. But it beats it hands down! Love this beer!

MichPaul, Feb 15, 2012

travMI13, Feb 15, 2012

buddyvelt, Feb 15, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Bottom line up front: This is an outstanding porter! Probably the best porter I have ever enjoyed. Really nice.

Honestly, who cares about appearance. It is all about how it tastes! This porter is right on.

Of course, it is deep, deep brown with a nice brown frothy two-finger head.

Smells of oak, chocolate and toasted notes.

Taste is really smooth. Mocha, chocolates, grains....A nice rounded porter with plenty of depth! So, so smooth!!

Overall, the best porter I have enjoyed. Period.

4thelvofbeer, Feb 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

VaTechPhilly, Feb 11, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 11, 2012

BierBliss, Feb 11, 2012

Independant, Feb 11, 2012

fiedler84, Feb 11, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Dark Black, produced a finger of light brown, creamy head. Plenty of lacing left on the glass.

S: Lots of roasty malts, some coffee and chocolate notes pull through. A touch of vanilla.

T: Roasted coffee and cocoa nib bitterness and bittersweet chocolate, smokiness is apparent. Finishes with a hop bitterness.

M: Medium bodied bordering heavy, coats the mouth. Very creamy, silky and smooth.

O: Outstanding porter. Very flavorful and rich. Highly reccommended.

alefish, Feb 11, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a Pint Glass...

S: Lots of roasty malts, some black coffee and dark chocolate notes pull through. A touch of vanilla sweetness, just a bit of a smokey cave aroma.

T: Roasted coffee and cocoa nib bitterness and bittersweet bck chocolate, smokiness pulls through. Finishes with a hop bitterness, roasted coffee aftertaste

M: Medium bodied, very creamy, silky and smooth.

O: Outstanding porter. Very flavorful and rich. Absolutely recommended, a must try.

Dools9, Feb 11, 2012