Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Serving Type: Purchased a 12oz. bottle from the Beer Trappe in Lexington poured into a Maudite tulip glass.

Appearance: This porter is a pitch black color that when held up to the light still doesn't let it through. Lacing is only apparent when tipping the beer back in the form of tiny bubbles.

Smell: I have always had a tough time describing porters in terms of taste and smell but here goes. In the nose is a great mix bag of dark chocolate and smokey unsweetened espresso.

Taste: Upfront is bitterness that is followed by an intensified version of the nose combining dark chocolate and smokey unsweetened espresso that all closes sharply.

Mouthfeel: The mouth begins with a light carbonation that closes the taste but leaves a light oily coating.

Overall: One of the best porters I have had. Very complex yet drinkable. I highly recommend this one.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a 20 oz tulip glass. Pours a slick black, with a 3 inch dark tan head, with great retention that settles into a thin layer of bubbles. Smell is chocolate, coffee, a breadyness, and dark malts. Taste is more aggressive with dark chocolate and strong coffee. Body large for its 6.5abv, nice amount of carbonation, not dry, and very drinkable. This is a great robust Porter, Founders is crazy good.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Dark cola overall with hints of mahogany on the top edges, off white head.

S - Burnt malts with an overlap of chocolate creaminess.

T - Taste lives up to the aroma. Silky dark chocolate, less robust than other Founders "dark beers", yet on par for the porter style.

M - Medium bodied with very clean finish.

O - A quality year round porter, reminiscent of other beers in Founders lineup. This one will be perpetually stocked in my home.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

1070th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
12 oz

Not sure vintage

Thanks to MrHirschybars for the tasting and sharing this one.

App- Almost black but still one of the darkest porters I have seen. A very dense pour and looked a bit oily. A small tan head left very quickly and only left a couple dots of cling.

Smell- A very interesting porter. A lot more full on the nose than most I have smelled. It was rich with some chocolate and cocoa powder.

Taste- Much more like a small coffee or espresso stout. A bit bitter with some inviting chocolate notes and then a bit of roasted peanut note. Definitely balanced between the layers of the chocolate and the roast without being to far forward in either direction.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a good dose of medium amounts of carbonation. Leaves residual dryness with a bit of chocolate powder flavors.

Drink- A very good porter. Would like to grab another 4pk next time on vacation if I can find any. Would love to age a couple bottles.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company