Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
MufflnMan

4.25/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle poured black with almost no head into a pint glass. Smells of malt, dark chocolate and coffee. Front forward taste of strong espresso, not just the usual coffee flavor here. Sweet malt follows suit to balance some bitterness from the espresso, dark chocolate and surprisingly a little hops. A subtle smoky wood flavor in the finish. Another pleasant surprise is the nice amount of carbonation for a Porter, very silky in the mouth, not as thick as it looks. Overall a great example of everything a Porter should be.

04-06-2011 02:24:10 | More by MufflnMan
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle into pint glass

A - Deep brown, nearly black with a thin brown head. Average retention and lacing.

S - Chocolate and dark dark roasted coffee. Roasted malt as well, with something of a dark burnt aroma, like Stovepipe.

T - Some hop bitterness and a lot of coffee bitterness. Some burnt flavor as well. Roasted malt and dark chocolate. A close competitor to Edmund Fitz.

M - Medium body with good carbonation. Drying finish. Spot on for a porter.

O - Overall a very very good porter, on the short list for best overall. Something seemed slightly lacking in this bottle, but all in all it was still quite good. Extremely similar to Edmund Fitz, but lacking slightly in aroma. A complex and delicious porter that combines the best tastes dark beers have to offer in a lighter and extremely drinkable package.

04-05-2011 01:37:36 | More by greenmonstah
Dan3279

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I picked up a single bottle and after taking a few sips I quickly realized that I should have bought a full four pack when I had the chance to.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass to find a deep dark black body and the half inch tan head disappeared quickly.

The aroma had hints of malts & expresso. The smell and the taste went hand and hand. This porter was a real joy to drink, clean, crisp and very well balanced. The coffee, malts & chocolate were very well balanced and the clean aftertaste had me ready and waiting for the next sip.

04-05-2011 01:23:39 | More by Dan3279
gdrydenc

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Gorgeous beer. Pours a deep, dark brown, nearly black. The head is dark brown and is very aggressive and lasts quite a while, eventually subsiding to large bubbles.

S - Smell is roasted malts, lots of espresso, some chocolate. Can't wait to taste it.

T - Taste is very similar to the smell. Very espressoy, and the chocolate comes out more. A bit smoky in the finish. Fantastic taste. This beer is much like Founders other offerings, which appeals to me.

M - Thick and rich, just as it should be. Absolutely unbelievable beer, and the mouthfeel matches it. Stays on the palate for a long time after the swallow, much like a nice cup of coffee.

Overall, an alarmingly good offering from Founders. I have yet to be disappointed by them.

04-03-2011 03:00:12 | More by gdrydenc
Snow81

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pours black as night with no light penetrating this beer

Head: Rich malty dark brown head

Smell: Roosted malts with a light coco on the nose

Taste: Big burnt malts with an espresso bean and hops hit the sides of the palate, yum

Weight: Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Hops and burnt malts with a little stickiness on the lips

04-02-2011 16:19:57 | More by Snow81
haazer

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

The last beer in my Founders binge for now. Poured into a Samuel Smiths pint glass.

A- Tiny 1/2 finger of beige, wet sand head that dissapates immediately. Against the light the beer is a glowing dark brown. Reminds me of a very rich dark chocolate.

S- The rich chocolate look pops into the nose too. Dark roast coffee, with equally roasted malts tell me this is my kind of porter. Even though only 45 IBU's I can feel the hops presence.

T- This porter is delicious. Initial taste is the roasted malt profile. That flavor starts small and gets progressively stronger on the taste buds, once peaking it transitions into dark coffee. The hops I mentioned in the nose make this a bitter cup of jo, and a good one. The flavor ends on a rich chocolate and a lingering caramel flavor that leaves me smacking the back of my mouth with my tongue.

M- Very milky and soft in the mouth. A medium level body in the mouth. After drinking this down my mouth feels like I've drank something a lot thicker though. Carbonation is ok, would like a little more. Perhaps I mishandled this bottle by mistake.

O- I thought this was an absolutely delicious porter. For me, the taste is up there with the Edmund Fitz porter, maybe even better. I think my bottle turned out a little flat though. I would love to find this on tap somewhere to remedy that. Even though I beleive Founders sell their beers in 4 packs, I could drink a sixer of this with no problem.

04-02-2011 01:49:12 | More by haazer
kbrinson

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

poured to a duvel glass.

appearance is jet black with one finger head. very nice lacing. very smooth with subtle hoppiness with dark chocolate notes. the aftertaste of this beer is excellent.

I've had several Porters, however this one is definitely the best I've had. I've been looking for this one for some time. Edmund Fitzgerald was my benchmark until I tried this.

If you don't have access to this, trade for it. If you have access to it, relish it.

04-02-2011 01:32:03 | More by kbrinson
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Brown Derby International Wine Center in Springfield, MO for the recommendation.

Poured the color of black coffee with scant brown/mocha head that left behind little lace.

Great aroma of coffee, chocolate malt, dark bread, and a bit of smokey wood.

The dark coffee flavor hits first turning roasty and chocolatey. Somewhat vanilla like in the end with some hop bitters and some smoke.

Like the feel - a bit surupy, chewy, full-bodied, and a spot-on carbonation.

Very happy to run into a sixer of this porter. The associate at Brown Derby was right - it's an awesome porter. Founders does it again.

04-01-2011 01:19:36 | More by DelMontiac
mountsnow1010

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Brown black with a thin head. Poured aggressively and got a teensy head that disappeared pretty quickly.
S - Earthy and delicious. Reminds me of leaves during the fall, with some roasted coffee and a distinct sweet tone as well. Unidentifiable spicy notes as well. Citrusy hoppy presence as well.
T - Toasted nuts at first, followed by a surprisingly strong resinous hoppiness; very pleasant but also unexpected.
MF - Quite heavy and chewy etc. Nice. Surprising carbonation bite especially as the head was so hard to form. A slight alcohol warmth, considering the lower ABV I find this surprising.
O - Very solid beer, extremely tasty but not overpowering, could also drink several. Nice ABV.

04-01-2011 01:09:25 | More by mountsnow1010
foogerd

A- Black body with a small tan head that leaves nice lacing.

S- Tons of fresh roasty chocolate malts and coffee, more on the bittersweet chocolate side of things. Some smoke.

T- Dark black bitter chocolate with some acidic roasty coffee some light hops give support to the coffee bitterness. Hints of milk chocolate sweetness close to the finish.

M- As heavy as this is on taste there is a light airy feel to this. Moderate to high carbonation.

O- Top notch porter, worth going a little out of your way for this. Very solid all around hits all the spots a porter should.

03-30-2011 08:17:04 | More by foogerd
vkv822

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.
awesome extra sent by jctribe25.

Pours a completely opaque black with a thick tan head. Pretty standard, but still quite nice looking.

The aroma is much more rich and full than I was expecting. It is a very pleasant blend of roasty coffee and cocoa

The taste is again of coffee and cocoa, though it is just a bit lighter in strength than the aroma. There is a pleasant roastiness throughout the beer as well.

Medium body, with just enough carbonation to keep it from becoming too heavy.

This was one of the better porters I have had and is just yet another reason why I really wish Founder's distributed to Oregon. It has robust and full flavors, while still maintaining the easy drinking I expect from a porter.

03-30-2011 04:02:52 | More by vkv822
engagechad

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer was purchased as a sixer from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - fresh - poured into a tulip - live review - the beer is in front of me.

This beer. mama mia.

Black as night and just damn sexy lookin. The head is perfect and the carb is perfect. The crown is a mocha color that leaves a trail of tight lacing behind.
Smells dark.. yeah. Smells of roasty malts with coffee and bittersweet chocolate
Tastes like love. Honestly I really don't have words. Perfect balance of bittering hops and malt sweetness with a pinchy bite on the back of the tongue from the dark malts bitterness.

I want to shake the hand of the man or woman that brewed this beer.

Go buy it or trade for it. I have not personally had KBS or FBS but this is the best of 4 founders beers I've had. get it. now.

03-29-2011 23:46:21 | More by engagechad
deebo

2.08/5  rDev -51.1%

Everything was ok except for the taste of this one. It's very heavy and dark but the taste was just too much-tasted burnt-more so than even the smokiest of rauchbiers. Surprised this beer scores so well. I thought it was just off-maybe I got a 6 pack that burnt on the bottom of the tank!

This is the only beer I've had from Founders and have heard lots of good things subsequent to this tasting so I guess it is surprising how much I didn't like it. Will give them another try but will pass on their porter-this one just didn't do it for me.

03-29-2011 02:09:02 | More by deebo
yuenglingfan101

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

another great beer from founders. Appearance is black like motor oil. Smells of malts, chocolate and some coffee. Taste better than its smells. Smell isn't bad but the taste supersedes it though. Mouthful is just undescribable and drinkabilty this probably the best porter ever

03-29-2011 01:20:27 | More by yuenglingfan101
LebronJeremy

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Looked like used motor oil--almost flat, dark, and viscous. Head dissipates quickly.

S: You knew it was a porter right off the bat. The roast and malt mixed nicely with an slight hoppiness. Not as much coffee smell as I've had with even some stouts.

T: Surprisingly not that malty for how rich it looked coming out of the bottle. Very balanced. Slight bitterness through the middle of the taste with a relatively clean finish. Occasionally, the bitterness lingered too long, and I developed a very light film in my mouth, which was the only major knock against this beer.

M: Definitely surprised me with the amount of carbonation. I would like to try this with a nitrogen tap because I porter itself is really thick, but the nitrogen always adds a creaminess that I really enjoy.

O: Very solid beer. Would certainly get more.

03-29-2011 00:04:11 | More by LebronJeremy
GSmithBeer

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

had this from the bottle poured into a pint glass.
A: certainly looks the part.
S: really good rich aroma. you get the chocolate and roasted malts.
T: you get the flavors that go with the aroma. also a good amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: good carbonation but maybe a little thin.
O: very drinkable porter. one of my go-to porters.

03-28-2011 21:54:50 | More by GSmithBeer
zeledonia

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a syrupy dark dark brown, looks quite thick for a porter. Just a smidge of light-coffee-colored head (really, where's the head?).

Smell is a great concoction of dark roasted malts, with espresso, dark rum, and some strong dark fruits (cherries probably the best fit). A bit of smokiness there, too.

Taste... quite good. Tastes mostly like it smells, except that the smoky flavor is more pronounced, and there's a tangy bitterness in the finish, like a bunch of citrus hops trying to fight their way through. Decently complex, though the finish throws the balance off a bit.

Mouthfeel is, as expected, heavy and syrupy. This stuff IS thick for a porter. The carbonation is much more present than I expected based on the lack of head, which lightens it up.

I definitely enjoyed this beer. It's a very solid porter, though I wouldn't say it's one of the best. It's quite tasty, but lacking the balance and subtle flavors that the better ones have.

03-26-2011 01:26:27 | More by zeledonia
DAllspaw

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

poured into tulip from bottle.

This is as black a porter as I have seen. Head is deep brown, almost a deep reddish hue. Sticky lacing as well.

Smell is heavy on the roasted malts, a bit nutty, earthy quality and malty but also get a definite piny hop aroma, not used to that in most porters (excluding Alpha Klaus).

Taste is all dark chocolate to start, then coffee and malt kicks, with some hops to make for bitter finish. There is a smoky quality as well, even reminiscent of bacon.

Heavier than others I've tried, a bit thick. As much as I love Great Lakes porter, at first blush, this is every bit it's equal. Another exceptional Founders beer. Would love to try this fresh on tap.

03-26-2011 00:43:29 | More by DAllspaw
goalie33

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz pint glass. No best by date.
A) Aggressive pour yields a thin layer of straight up brown head which fades quickly. Pitch black body doesn't let any light through. Virtually no lacing left on the sides of the glass.
S) Very rich, chocolaty aroma with lots of roasted notes and some coffee. Smells more like an Imperial Stout then a Porter.
T) Roasted malts and chocolate in the beginning, dark fruits across the middle of the tongue, and a nice coffee finish. This is a really nice porter.
M) Medium body that is very soft and smooth.

This is a wonderful example of a Porter. Easily one of the best 2 or 3 I've had. Great aroma and flavors, nice body and mouthfeel. I have nothing negative to say about this beer.

03-23-2011 00:12:14 | More by goalie33
JohnnyChicago

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker.

A: Deep dark brown with a tan head.

S: Rich coffee and sweet caramel. A bit of roast and alcohol as well.

T: Taste closely follows smell. Big coffee theme with a nice little cocoa bite. Some alcohol twinge and cream.

D: A great easy-drinking American porter. Its a bit big for the style, but the flaours and alcohol are well blended.

Overall: Another great brew from an ever reliable brewery. This is a silky smooth and robust, but not too big or brash. Solid drink stuff and tasty as hell.

03-21-2011 00:10:08 | More by JohnnyChicago
Brunite

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A. Pours out a dark black body with a foamy tan head. The lacing is excellent.

S. Initial aroma is all coffee with some roasted grains. Very faint chocolate notes.

T. The initial taste is roasted coffee with dark chocolate. There is just the slightest hoppiness noticeable. There is also the usual acidic notes found in a porter along with some lactose-like sweetness. As things warm up...it becomes almost all bitter dark chocolate with a residual sweetness....liquid candy bar time! Pretty dang complex for a Porter.

M. The mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. In fact....just about as much so as a quad!

O. This is really an epic porter. After a comparison with Bell's, Smutty and Edmund Fitz...this came out as my favorite with E-Fitz in second. I like this one a lot!!!

03-18-2011 04:58:36 | More by Brunite
wvsabbath

West Virginia

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark black, with a real thick tanish 2 inch head, tons of lacing.

Smell - Roasted malts, sugars, some hops and spices. Has a stout look and feel to it.

Taste - Ive had this many times, now its time to sit down and review it. Starts off with roasted malts and chocolate spices. Its bold yet smooth and flavorful. Some mild hops leak through. Very creamy and distinct flavor that founders beers have. Theres a special spice in this beer, almost cinnimon-ish, maybe its the coffee used? It just adds to the special flavor.

Mouthfeel - Covers whole mouth with its thick, cream like coating. Tounge gets sweetened and spiced, palette gets some coffee, and mouth is left wanting more...alot more.

Overall - Not sure it gets any better. Sammy smiths is default porter and very easy to get. This reminded me how special this beer is and why i need to be drinking it alot more. World class, drink this soon as you can.

03-17-2011 08:58:32 | More by wvsabbath
bigfoot13

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

First, I only review beers that I find exceptional.

This is my favorite Porter that can be found on tap year round at my Winkin Lizards bar close to my bowling alley. (Sadly, this is the only place I can find it)
I drink 1 or 2 of these while consuming a Italian Sub sandwich every week before bowling.
They help put me in the right "Frame" of mind.

I'm a home brewer and wish I could duplicate this kick butt beer.

Pours black with a one inch chocolaty head made of microscopic bubbles. YUM
The smell reminds me of eating chocolate while drinking black coffee.
Taste is a repeat of the smell.
Perfect.
For some reason I get a really good buzz off this beer.

03-15-2011 20:30:22 | More by bigfoot13
FanofHefe

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

No bottle or label date that I can find. Poured into a Duvel tulip. One finger mocha head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving some minor lacing. The body is dark brown, nearly black, with some light red hue around the edges.

Good, rich aroma. Dark fruit, primarily raisin, with light amounts of chocolate, toffee, roasted malt, and a hint of tangy hops. Very nice.

The dominant flavors follow the aroma, but I was pleasantly surprised by the hop bitterness which is muted but definitely present.

The mouthfeel is smooth, but thin. Very drinkable. One of the better porters I've had.

03-11-2011 00:51:27 | More by FanofHefe
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a dark brown with garnet highlights crowned by a modest tan head.

S: A nice, but simple nose, of roasted malts with notes of sweet chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and caramel.

T: A creamy malt upfront followed by notes of mocha, dark chocolate, bitter coffee, sweet vanilla, and finishes with smooth roasted malts and bitter hops.

M: Medium body & carbonation, creamy texture.

D: One of the better porters I've had. The first bottle I had had gone bad and was way too carbonated. The flavor and nose, however, were still good and after some time the carbonation toned down. The second bottle I had (bought at the same time and store) was fantastic. After talking to Founders I would definitely make sure you get fresh bottles. Besides that, one could drink a lot of these for sure.

03-10-2011 23:32:51 | More by BrewCrew2010