Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Wow! This is a stout cunningly disguised as a porter. Super dark brown, almost black. 1 inch tan head on top. Only a pinch of light gets through this giving it dark ruby highlights around the edges.

S- Coffee up front. toasted chocolate and smokey.

T- Coffee and roasted hops. Good toasted flavor. Light caramel. Leaves a warm bitter coffee finish on your tongue. Complex flavors though.

M- This think has a very dry finish, like a red wine. Great body to it.

O- This is one of the best porters I have had. Great coffee flavor and wonderful sipper.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Black color, even when held up to the light. Head is off-white, kind of brown.

Smells roasty, smoky--lots of roasted malt and chocolate notes.

Flavor is spot on--chocolate and coffee notes, roasted barley flavors, and pretty smooth. Less milky than some, and there's a bit of crispness and light hops in the finish. Leaves lingering chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium--it's actually lighter than I expected. Low-medium carbonation.

This is a really good porter; glad I tried it. The flavor profile is great, though overall I think the lighter body doesn't match up to the robustness of the flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

I'm new to the reviews, this being my first, so go easy on me. I'm actually, relatively, new to the "Microbeer" scene all together, but I thought I would give my 2 cents.
Now that I'm into the Microbeer scene and living in Michigan, I'm in HEAVEN!
That said, Founder's Porter was the first Porter/Stout I had ever taste. At first I was not impressed. I had bought a 6 pack, felt I had to "Swallow the rest down". But after the 6er was gone, I desired more! Founder's Porter was what got me to love the taste of Stouts all together so I LOVE it!!!
Most of my reviews, at least at this point in time, I will be skipping the whole: A,S,T,M,O thing and be giving my reasons why I like or dislike the beer. Being a newbie and all, I think that's best.
As far as Founder's Porter, so far it's the best Porter I have tried to date, but all I have to compare it with is Bell's Porter. But it beats it hands down! Love this beer!

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottom line up front: This is an outstanding porter! Probably the best porter I have ever enjoyed. Really nice.

Honestly, who cares about appearance. It is all about how it tastes! This porter is right on.

Of course, it is deep, deep brown with a nice brown frothy two-finger head.

Smells of oak, chocolate and toasted notes.

Taste is really smooth. Mocha, chocolates, grains....A nice rounded porter with plenty of depth! So, so smooth!!

Overall, the best porter I have enjoyed. Period.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Dark Black, produced a finger of light brown, creamy head. Plenty of lacing left on the glass.

S: Lots of roasty malts, some coffee and chocolate notes pull through. A touch of vanilla.

T: Roasted coffee and cocoa nib bitterness and bittersweet chocolate, smokiness is apparent. Finishes with a hop bitterness.

M: Medium bodied bordering heavy, coats the mouth. Very creamy, silky and smooth.

O: Outstanding porter. Very flavorful and rich. Highly reccommended.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a Pint Glass...

S: Lots of roasty malts, some black coffee and dark chocolate notes pull through. A touch of vanilla sweetness, just a bit of a smokey cave aroma.

T: Roasted coffee and cocoa nib bitterness and bittersweet bck chocolate, smokiness pulls through. Finishes with a hop bitterness, roasted coffee aftertaste

M: Medium bodied, very creamy, silky and smooth.

O: Outstanding porter. Very flavorful and rich. Absolutely recommended, a must try.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Aggressive pouring leads to an awesome beach sand head and cratered like another planet. The brew’s a rich dark mocha and this is easily recognizable as a nice looking porter/stout.

S: mocha, barley, some melty chocolate that comes through as the beer warms/gets down there in the glass. Awesome.

T: Definitely the melty dark chocolate at first, but it’s not too sweet; I love the bittering hops coming through in the taste that weren’t apparent in the nose.

M: finishes like a champ – a perfect level of carbonation leaves both sweet and bitter flavors hanging around.

O: excellent balance. I like this style but they’re usually not my go-to at the sixer shop. But I felt like it on this crisp February day in Pittsburgh and I’m certainly glad I snagged this toasty and full-bodied brew. If you like the style, then it’s a most solid option.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company