Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,438 | Hads: 6,562
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Nearly black, semi-opaque body. Rich tan head takes its time in settling.

Smell: Roasted malts, with a faint hint of chocolate.

Taste: Rich roasted malts again dominate. Subtle dark chocolate with a mildly bitter aftertaste. I can tell this is a Founders beer, because the taste reminds me a lot of their Breakfast Stout.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick. One of the more full-bodied porters I've encountered.

Drinkability: The alcohol is nearly undetectable, but 6.5% is in a dangerous ABV range in that one could easily get carried away without realizing it.

Notes: I must say, this is a top-notch American style porter. Many brewers would kill to have their STOUT this thick and creamy. It strikes me as a slightly lighter version of Founders' Breakfast Stout, without all the coffee flavor, and with more of an emphasis on the roasted character of the malt. (868 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Another bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ!

Dark, Rich & Sexy. You have my attention.

That's a pitch black pour I'm seeing which looks great but the foam, what little there is of it to start with shrinks to a ring around the glass in an eye blink. Checking on the lacing..heck, there is some there so there's some redemption.

The smell is light but nice. Notes of roast, chocolate, sweet malt, and a strange but nice fruity nose.

The taste is much more assertive and is delicious. Light note of milk chocolate evolves in to some good dark chocolate bitterness with a hint of some dark fruits and now, the sweeter aspects of chocolate come back to the forefront.

Now I'm getting a sense of a coffee presence...very light but I doubt my palate is lying to me. A very tasty Porter and it will be a pleasure finishing the bottle.

Medium bodied, it has a light carbonation profile. A very nice mouthfeel is the result.

Drinkability? 6.5%abv isn't crazy strong..I guess that's why I'm looking at the last few ounces in my glass. A good drinker and I agree with the dark and rich but sexy? lol. Good stuff. (1,116 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Many breweries have a decent Porter, but very few have excellent ones. Founders easily has one of the best ones I have had to date. Here is my review:

A: Pours pitch black. Head is minimal with a light, brown ring of head. Easily the darkest and thickest Porter I have had to date.

S/T: The aroma is heavy on roasted malts and coffee. A touch of bitter chocolate. Taste is quite similar. There is a lot of mild roasted coffee upfront. Then you get a bitter chocolate flavor along with the roasted malts. A touch of sweetness. What sets this apart from all their Stouts, is that this is much less intense in flavor. The coffee and chocolate notes are much milder, but are still very full and lasting. Very nice Porter.

M/D: A full-bodied Porter. A little more carbonation than a Stout, but not much. Drinks very well. Silky smooth with a nice roasty and sweet finish.

Porters tend to be hit-or-miss, and this is a definite hit. This is the most Stout-like Porter I have had, with such a full body and flavor. I think this and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald are the two best Porters I have had. Well worth seeking out. (1,120 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Black, with a generous brown head that coats the edges of the glass. Excellent retention.

S: Dark roasted malt, coffee and pungent lactic sourness. Impressive!

T: Intense. Lots of coffee and smoky flavors. Also some baker's chocolate and a little dark fruit. Bitter roasted flavors linger throughout a lengthy finish.

M: Thick and creamy with fine carbonation. A little sticky, but acceptably so for such a huge porter.

That is without a doubt, the most robust porter I have ever experienced. Almost a stout/porter hybrid and just the type of take on the style that you would expect from Founders. (604 characters)

12 ounce bottle to snifter
A: black with a thin head that lasted about 2 minutes, went just lace.

S:dark chocolate, espresso,vanilla

T: bitter dark chocolate, coffee, creamy, rich roasted malts

M: rich, full body,thick chewy and creamy, yet the prickly carbonation lifts the rich body through all stages leaving a intense roasted bitterness which i love. the balance is spot on, 6.5 abv is undetectable

D: This is a tasty porter, drinkable and savorable, I could be satisfied off one or enjoy a few. rich smooth. Founders is quickly becoming one of my top american breweries. This one is a must try for anyone who likes porters or stouts. simply amazing. (659 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Founders: Porter (No date) (Tasted 01/25/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown, bordering on black, with a fluffy khaki head that leaves a blotchy stripe of lace on the side of the glass. Looks description on the label is very apt. Dark, rich and sexy.
Odor: Soft, subtle milk chocolate, freshly roasted espresso beans.
Consistency: Full body, very smooth. Gentle carbonation keeps things lively without being overbearing.
Flavor: Full, rich malt palate of espresso with milk in the front, dark chocolate in the rear. There's a solid, non-descript hop bitterness teaming up with the roasted malts to maintain some sembelance of balance, though sweetness definitely prevails. Finish is roasty and quick, leaving dark chocolate/espresso behind.

This is a supremely drinkable porter. Judging on body alone, I'd say this beer is encroaching on stout territory, but the flavor is all porter. I'll seek this out whenever it's around. (970 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at Taco Mac Metropolis in Atlanta.

Pours black with a 1.5-finger brown head. One of the darkest porters I've seen in a while. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth roasted malts and well-integrated bitter dark chocolate flavors. There's not a whole lot going on here but every bit of it is rich.

Tastes very good. Robust roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by dark chocolate. Midway through the sip very light hints of citrus hop flavors enter into things before fading into a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was very impressed with this - one of the better-done, widely-available porters out there. Well worth a shot. (870 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is bordering on black with a nice two-finger light brown head with nice retention and sticky lacing.

Smell is a nice mix of coffee and chocolate. There is some roasted malt in there as well making it a nice roasted and fairly sweet aroma.

Taste up front is a nice bitter roasted coffee followed by some mildly sweet dark chocolate. A bit of hops in the end make if a nicely flavored and balanced brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice silky smooth feel to it with what seems to be just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very good! Certainly one of the best porters I've had. Goes down nice and smooth with great flavor. Perfect candidate for a session porter and I plan to have many more. I must say I am quite pleased with Founders! They make some great stuff! (849 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Black beer, deep tan, light brown head. This is all dark chocolate and black coffee with that almost vanilla-like toasty note - aroma and flavor. Full bodied. Roasty finish. I love it because it is all the flavor you really need from a porter/ stout without being an imperial. Lets' be honest - it's a robust porter - a "stout" porter, and it will eat your hamburger and drink your milkshake. (392 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A good looking porter. Dark, almost black. Opaque. Decent half finger tan head formed on a pretty aggressive pour, and displayed ok retention, although it has since receded to the thinnest of collars, and leaves no lace.

Some mild lactic sourness and pleasant milk chocolate aroma with a touch of more roasted malts. Rootbeer like aroma from some caramel and the roasted malts. Also some hazelnut and earthiness. Nice.

A pretty tasty brew, roastiness favours chocolate and espresso, with just a hint of char. Underlying nuttiness and soured lactic note adds balance and complexity, which is rounded out by the earthy and leafy hop note. Good stuff.

A nice feel. Medium bodied and silky smooth.

Pretty tasty and drinkable. More good stuff from Founders, suppose that isnt a real surprise. Not overly robust, this one celebrates smoothness and balance. Highly recommended to fans of the style. (895 characters)

4.24/5  rDev 0%

Review from notes taken about one hour ago at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. Poured from tap into a standard clean, clear pint glass. I missed this one on my trip to Founders this past fall and I was glad to find it on tap here at the Winking Lizard.

A Great light brown, creamy head that leaves great lacing on the inside of the glass after repeated sips over an absolute black body. If it can be improved, I am not aware of how. 5.0

S Not a strong, flavorful smell at all. I had to sniff several times to pick up some dark roast malt. This, to me, is typical of porters in that they do not have a strong smell. 3.5

T Dark roasted malt, grain like taste which has great depth. As I repeatedly sipped the beer (while watching the Lakers/Knicks game) I thought to myself, "This is what a porter should taste like." Founders always has done the darker beers the right way and this one is no exception. 5.0

M Smooth but also chunky, chewy in an absolutely great feel. Again, this beer is my new standard for porters. 5.0

D Fair drinkability due to the bigness, darkness of the beer. That is consistent with most beers in the style. 3.0

Notes: This is better than Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (my previous standard bearer for the style). Everyone reading this should seek this beer out (especially if it can be found on tap I suspect!). (1,347 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my first go-round with the porter. Not a big porter drinker, but Founders is easily one of my favorite breweries so I'm looking forward to this one.

12 oz'er with no freshness date. Purchased as a single.

A- Pours a thick dark brown/black, not unlike a sludgy coffee. Thick head forms, but dissipates fairly quickly. Good lacing left.

S- Real smokiness and nice roasted malt. Coffee comes through next with a little carmel in there. Hint of chocolate. Serious mocha scent.

T- At first, quite bitter, but a nice nutty sweetness comes through. Very malty but also with a nice hop presence (not a lot though). Carmel, some molasses, smoked wood. Almost a hint of fruit at the end, seems more like an illusion, or allusion maybe.

M- Very silky, but also a nice carbonation comes through.

D- Super drinkable and smooth. For someone who doesn't typically reach for it, this is a really, really nice porter. As the bottle contends, "Dark, rich + sexy," indeed. Go get you some. (990 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

12/29/09

Founders
Porter
Abv 6.7

This beer is absolutely amazing. This is my number one porter, my golden example. I have tried as many beers as I can get my hands on from founders and they have become my top 3 favorite brew co. I have yet to find a beer that they make that isn't good and they seem to have a knack for blowing my mind away.

A= 5.0 Engine oil black with a very small head that is dark brown and medium lasting

S= 4.5 The smell is like a fresh cup of coffee and the finest dark German chocolate you can find

T= 4.5 First you get smooth melted chocolate then hit with afternoon dark French roasted coffee followed up by a mild bitter dark chocolate after taste

M= 4.0 It feels like the marriage of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee

D= 4.0 Great beer that I could probably drink a few.

I just wanted to take the time to express my love for Founders brewery again. There centennial IPA is one of the beers that got me into the great world of micro brewing. I just climbed the beer-a-myd with their red rye p.a. to their pale ale to their porter. This is a true beauty of a beer and it makes me nothing but happy. I hope others can get the joy I get from this beer. Long live Founders, long live craft beer! (1,235 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

My review of Founder's Porter using only three-word sentences:

Color is stout-like. Darkest, deepest brown. Thin, bubbly head. Quintessential porter aroma. Chocolate and coffee. Roasty but smooth. Wonderful, comforting flavor. Bittersweet chocolate first. Roasted malt sweetness. Flavorful without heaviness. Bitterness lingers slightly. Light-bodied yet satisfying. Finished too fast. New favorite porter. (407 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours black in the pint glass,a little brownish head remains,the chocolate notes hit ya up front but they are not overpowering the hop rounds this one out but leaves just enough dark maltiness,this is one fine porter,easy drinker,and a real deal for the price (259 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a voluptuous looking black with a light chocolate colored head, about 1 finger, recedes to a ring and cap. Splotchy lacing throughout. Smell is coffee, malts, and chocolate all the way, blended nicely. Taste is chocolate and malt up front with a big lingering chocolaty finish. Goes very nicely with the silky smooth mouthfeel, very delicious. Great porter, one of the best I've had. (389 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

A very sexy beer. Pours pitch black with a nice two finger dark tan head (perfect color for a porter) that is nice and creamy and leaves me very thick lacing behind. A ring is left after the head dies down, the retention being the only lost points on the appearance. Smells like a good candy to me. There is a very nice cocoa aspect that blends beautifully with a roast malt backbone in the aroma. Earthy hops weave their way into the scent to add a nice balance to the roast. The great strength of the aroma allows me to sniff this one for a very extended period of time. There is also a touch of vanilla which finishes off this great aroma. The taste is similar to the nose. Huge roasted malts are the dominant flavor for me along with some cocoa and smokiness. There are definitely a good amount of roasted malts in this recipe, chocolate malt specifically. I get a smoky flavor but this is probably from something like black patent type malt. The vanilla is lost in the taste for me and the hops take a bigger step forward. The flavor does not come together as well as the aroma but is still a good example of the Porter. Mouthfeel consists of a nice medium body with lower carbonation than many beers. I prefer this low carbonation with such a rich flavor. Earthy hops and roast malts stay on the tongue long after the beer is swallowed. No alcohol or warming in this ale at all. I might want this to be a tiny bit thicker to get the perfect rating. Drinkability is very nice, I could session the crap out of this and the price is not bad. I will buy this one to session if it continues to come to my area. (1,611 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours dark, rich, and...somewhat sexy I suppose. Small tan head disappears a little quickly and forms a ring, leaves spotty lacing. Smell is mostly chocolate malts, some coffee. Taste is bitter coffee, dark chocolate, a little smoke. I'm also picking up some hop flavors such as citrus. Mouthfeel is very good, nice and velvety, perfect for a porter. Another solid offering from Founders, great for the price, I will be finishing this 6-pack pretty quickly I'm sure. Glad to see this available for purchase in this area finally. (528 characters)

A - Black.. with a tan head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell - Roast and chocolate notes none of the aromas out shine the other..

Taste - Awesome! The chocolate and roast aroma carries into the flavor of this beer. This beer is perfectly balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, yet border line viscous. Carbonation is not too heavy.

Drinkability - I can drink several pints of this beer easily..

Overall - This is one of the best porter's I've ever tasted. This is the last of my stash until I travel (or order) out of state for another beer haul. (555 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Founders Porter has a black, opaque body with about a finger of brown head. The retention is ok, and a little bit of spotty lacing is left behind on my glass.

The aroma is a mix of cocoa powder, chocolate, roasted malt and a touch of molasses. Some grapefruit from the hops also peeks through. Overall this is a very good aroma for an American Porter.

The first thing I notice in Founders Porter are flavors of chocolate: cocoa powder, bakers chocolate. Next a touch of bitter, roasted malt along with just a hint of sourness come through in the front. In the middle there is just a hint of dark fruit -- black cherries. After that a moderately strong hoppy, grapefruit-flavored bitterness comes through.

The body is a touch thicker than the middle of the road, and it is a bit silky, both of which I like.

Overall this porter really impressed me, it is probably one of the best American Porters that I have come across. (924 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

God bless Founders. Poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 8/12/09. From notes.

A: One and half finger medium dark borwn head thats creamy with respectable retention and lacing. The body is very dark brown, not quite black, but completely opaque.

S: Heavy malts of molasses, caramel, grain, some roasted, some burnt. Light hops of pine with a bit of spruce and maybe a little citrus. The yeast is earthy and meaty and heavier than I expected. Slightly warm on the nose.

T: Additional flavors and/or aromas of smoke and wood and dark fruits. The earthy yeast adds a peaty flavor. This porter coats the mouth to produce a long, well-attenuated flavor duration that is mildly sweet and only moderately bitter.

M: Thick texture but not quite a full body mouthfeel. The carbonation is fizzy.

D: This brew has a well-deserved spot in the Founders mixed case. While good, it is outshined and has a lower drinkability, in my opinion, than the 2 of the 3 other offerings. (965 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours thick and opaque black with a thin and creamy tan head. There is a light aroma of roasted malt but the boldness of the beer is in the drink. Smooth coffee flavors and a gentle hint of chocolate flow with a mildly thick and viscous brew. Low carbonation slows the drink even more and fades gracefully into a sweet malty finish. It ends smoothly and crisply. (362 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Black with a small white head. A great looking beer.

Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, and mild hops.

Taste is fantastic. Silky smooth chocolate roast. Mild bitterness from hops. Amazing how the cocoa and roast make each sip such a rewarding experience.

Sexy, velvety mouthfeel.

So damn drinkable. This was incredible, I want a 1/6 bbl for the kegerator :) (362 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mocha head, half finger is gone in 30 seconds. Inky black. Under a bright light there is active carbonation with a fair bit of suspended particle. No head, little retention. Lots of sediment left behind.

The smell alone lives up to the description on the label of, "Dark, Rich & Sexy", with impressive waves of dark chocolate, sweet dark chocolate eclair, malted milk, tiramisu aromas ... lovely!

The taste is wonderfully rich with layers of coffee bean, vanilla, cocoa, dark and some bitter chocolate presented within a smooth velvety mouthfeel. Full body, nice texture, low astringency & nicely hopped feel. Aftertaste lingers ... delicious!

In a nation of fine Porters, this indeed has a rightful place. Founders is one of my favourite breweries, keep up the good work. (777 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Coke black. Some head, very nice lace windows.

S: Coffee. Chocolate malt.

T: Follows nose, then add some hop bitterness. I'm not a big hophead, says 45 IBU's, but, they are hidden with a nice balance of the roasted malts.

M: Coats mouth with goodness! Fairly heavy beer.

D: I've been into Porters more lately, and this one kicks ass. The "D" on this is huge..as I judge drinkability as how fast I want another quaff, after I sit the glass down..This is FAST! It's almost addictive. Looks to be a staple in the fridge for now. (536 characters)

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company