Follow our progress ...

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Reviews: 1,546 | Ratings: 7,040
3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

Shout out to Kegatron for trading me this bottle. Thanks pal.

Looks pretty nice, completely black with a thin dark tan mocha-esque type creamy head. Muddy/cloudy looking light tan yeasty bits rest at the bottom of the glass. Head dissipated pretty quick with a tiny ring and a little bit of lacing coating some parts of the glass.

Smell has a lot of roast to it, with some suggestions of coffee and I smell some faint hop character as well as some tobacco leaf character. Nice, but could be more complex.

Tastes a little more complex than it smells, mostly because the hops come through a lot more in the flavor. Sort of a prickly citrus quality to them. Other than that, lots of roast, maybe even a little too much on the roasty end to the point of getting acrid. The level of roast would be okay if there was some chocolate to round it out or some other kind of sweetness here. Still, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is a little bit on the thin side from what I expected. Little bubbles were tickling my tongue. The creamy head wasn't present for long to coat my lips softly as I drank.

Drinks pretty well, a little sweetness might go a long way, and I don't say that often since I dislike overly sweet beers. Finishes dry which makes me want to drink more. Alcohol heat doesn't play into the flavor at all that I can tell. A solid porter, I think my expectations may have been a little too high coming in due to past Founders experiences.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

It's a simple porter, but very delicious. Pours a thick black, with a full brownish head. Smells predominately of roasted malts, and tastes to match. I think it succeeds very well in being simple. the mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Not much intricacy to it, even in the aftertaste, but another sip doesn't require much effort. A well done beer from Founders, and worth your dollar.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured in a pint glass

A - Black with a little brown head

S - Dark Malts and Rich Chocolate, very nice

T - Lots of roasted malts and very similar to a stout, little carbonation, and chocolate.

M - Full and Creamy, I liked it alot

D - Prolly couldn't put more than 1 of these down in a night but great beer overall.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a bottle to a tulip shaped glass.
This beer pours a very dark brown if not black with a dark tan 1.5-2 finger head.
The smell is of roasted malts and dark chocolate.
You get a lot of bitter chocolate roasted malt in the flavor as well.
The beer is so smooth creamy mouth feel and is extremely drinkable. This is by far my favorite porter.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Enjoyed on tap at Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. Pour with a black body and extremely dark brown and thick head of fluffy foam. Aromas of chocolate and coffee along with some roasted malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Flavor is almost like a milk chocolate bar. There's a toasty flavor from the malts as well and a sweet but not cloying finish with a little bit of bitterness. This beer is just execptional!

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours black in color with a finger of darkly tanned head. Decent retension and a nice layer of lace all around the glass. Nose is burnt grains with chocolate and coffee notes. End of the aroma has a bit of citrus hops. Taste is drying bitter chocolate upfront with a nice burnt grain profile throughout the really smooth feel/body. Light feel and low moderate carbination with this porter. Lingering taste of burnt grain and bitter chocolate is left in the mouth that forces you to dive right back in for another sip. Little bit of citrus hop bitterness is hidden behind the bitterness of the burnt grain. The warmth of the alcohol starts to hit you about half way through the glass. Somewhat of a dry finish to this but overall a really good porter.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap, served in a pint glass

Pours nearly black, nearly opaque, very thick for a porter. About two fingers worth of dense tan head, and leaves a fair amount of lacing. Very similar in appearance to a stout.

Initial aroma is of roasted malts, lots and lots of roasted malts. Very rich and chocolatey, with hits of coffee. The surprise is the hop aroma, much stonger than I would expect in a porter.

More chocolate than anything, with a definate coffee presence. Following the lead of the aroma the hops also play a dominant part in the flavor, offering a nice balance not found in many porters. Nice and full bodied, very thick for a porter, and smooth. Carbonation is right on.

Easy to drink, but I am still struggling with this being a porter, much closer in nearly all catagories to a stout.

All in all another stellar offering by the guys at Founders.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Poured into a tulip glass and was blown away.. Very nice head that hung around for a bit.. Pours a dark brown/black like a stout. Excellent lacing.

S - Smells delicious. Not overpowering. Has a chocolate and coffee smell but not too crazy.

T - Wow again. Founders is very impressive. Reminds me of the breakfast stout and imperial stout! Almost can't believe this is a porter as it tastes very much like a stout.

M - Excellent taste great mouthfeel. Do not taste any alcohol. This is a special treat.

D - Low abv's and no alcohol taste sure make this one deadly. Too bad I only have one. Was able to grab it at Table in Vine in MA. They only had one and that really stinks..

I am really impressed with Founders! I have been fortunate enough to get this in MA as we can't get it in CT. I loved the bfast stout, the imperial stout, this porter!! I have double trouble but believe it is spoiled so I am definitely holding out on a review of that.

---edit on 7/24/2010

I've had this a few times. After having some pretty good porters from all around I still consider this a great porter but i have to take it down just a notch.

A - Pours pretty black... poured into a tulip glass to see an inch head that dissipated quickly.. but good lacing was left behind..

S - definitely get the chocolate notes in here. alcohol is well hidden.. smells sweet and malty. very good here.. smells like a dessert!

T - Actually a little hop profile i think here.. very sweet but i like the little tang and punchy hopness i think.. maybe it's just too sweet and i got it wrong... but a very well balanced treat here..

M - Not too thick... would like it thicker but then it would prob be more like a stout.. this is a great porter.. i will pick this up again if i can get some singles...

D - I like the drinkability here.. i could slug down a few of these.. my favorite porter is probably smuttynose robust porter but this is up there....

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Nearly black, semi-opaque body. Rich tan head takes its time in settling.

Smell: Roasted malts, with a faint hint of chocolate.

Taste: Rich roasted malts again dominate. Subtle dark chocolate with a mildly bitter aftertaste. I can tell this is a Founders beer, because the taste reminds me a lot of their Breakfast Stout.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick. One of the more full-bodied porters I've encountered.

Drinkability: The alcohol is nearly undetectable, but 6.5% is in a dangerous ABV range in that one could easily get carried away without realizing it.

Notes: I must say, this is a top-notch American style porter. Many brewers would kill to have their STOUT this thick and creamy. It strikes me as a slightly lighter version of Founders' Breakfast Stout, without all the coffee flavor, and with more of an emphasis on the roasted character of the malt.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Another bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ!

Dark, Rich & Sexy. You have my attention.

That's a pitch black pour I'm seeing which looks great but the foam, what little there is of it to start with shrinks to a ring around the glass in an eye blink. Checking on the lacing..heck, there is some there so there's some redemption.

The smell is light but nice. Notes of roast, chocolate, sweet malt, and a strange but nice fruity nose.

The taste is much more assertive and is delicious. Light note of milk chocolate evolves in to some good dark chocolate bitterness with a hint of some dark fruits and now, the sweeter aspects of chocolate come back to the forefront.

Now I'm getting a sense of a coffee presence...very light but I doubt my palate is lying to me. A very tasty Porter and it will be a pleasure finishing the bottle.

Medium bodied, it has a light carbonation profile. A very nice mouthfeel is the result.

Drinkability? 6.5%abv isn't crazy strong..I guess that's why I'm looking at the last few ounces in my glass. A good drinker and I agree with the dark and rich but sexy? lol. Good stuff.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Many breweries have a decent Porter, but very few have excellent ones. Founders easily has one of the best ones I have had to date. Here is my review:

A: Pours pitch black. Head is minimal with a light, brown ring of head. Easily the darkest and thickest Porter I have had to date.

S/T: The aroma is heavy on roasted malts and coffee. A touch of bitter chocolate. Taste is quite similar. There is a lot of mild roasted coffee upfront. Then you get a bitter chocolate flavor along with the roasted malts. A touch of sweetness. What sets this apart from all their Stouts, is that this is much less intense in flavor. The coffee and chocolate notes are much milder, but are still very full and lasting. Very nice Porter.

M/D: A full-bodied Porter. A little more carbonation than a Stout, but not much. Drinks very well. Silky smooth with a nice roasty and sweet finish.

Porters tend to be hit-or-miss, and this is a definite hit. This is the most Stout-like Porter I have had, with such a full body and flavor. I think this and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald are the two best Porters I have had. Well worth seeking out.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Black, with a generous brown head that coats the edges of the glass. Excellent retention.

S: Dark roasted malt, coffee and pungent lactic sourness. Impressive!

T: Intense. Lots of coffee and smoky flavors. Also some baker's chocolate and a little dark fruit. Bitter roasted flavors linger throughout a lengthy finish.

M: Thick and creamy with fine carbonation. A little sticky, but acceptably so for such a huge porter.

That is without a doubt, the most robust porter I have ever experienced. Almost a stout/porter hybrid and just the type of take on the style that you would expect from Founders.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

12 ounce bottle to snifter
A: black with a thin head that lasted about 2 minutes, went just lace.

S:dark chocolate, espresso,vanilla

T: bitter dark chocolate, coffee, creamy, rich roasted malts

M: rich, full body,thick chewy and creamy, yet the prickly carbonation lifts the rich body through all stages leaving a intense roasted bitterness which i love. the balance is spot on, 6.5 abv is undetectable

D: This is a tasty porter, drinkable and savorable, I could be satisfied off one or enjoy a few. rich smooth. Founders is quickly becoming one of my top american breweries. This one is a must try for anyone who likes porters or stouts. simply amazing.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Founders: Porter (No date) (Tasted 01/25/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown, bordering on black, with a fluffy khaki head that leaves a blotchy stripe of lace on the side of the glass. Looks description on the label is very apt. Dark, rich and sexy.
Odor: Soft, subtle milk chocolate, freshly roasted espresso beans.
Consistency: Full body, very smooth. Gentle carbonation keeps things lively without being overbearing.
Flavor: Full, rich malt palate of espresso with milk in the front, dark chocolate in the rear. There's a solid, non-descript hop bitterness teaming up with the roasted malts to maintain some sembelance of balance, though sweetness definitely prevails. Finish is roasty and quick, leaving dark chocolate/espresso behind.

This is a supremely drinkable porter. Judging on body alone, I'd say this beer is encroaching on stout territory, but the flavor is all porter. I'll seek this out whenever it's around.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at Taco Mac Metropolis in Atlanta.

Pours black with a 1.5-finger brown head. One of the darkest porters I've seen in a while. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth roasted malts and well-integrated bitter dark chocolate flavors. There's not a whole lot going on here but every bit of it is rich.

Tastes very good. Robust roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by dark chocolate. Midway through the sip very light hints of citrus hop flavors enter into things before fading into a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was very impressed with this - one of the better-done, widely-available porters out there. Well worth a shot.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is bordering on black with a nice two-finger light brown head with nice retention and sticky lacing.

Smell is a nice mix of coffee and chocolate. There is some roasted malt in there as well making it a nice roasted and fairly sweet aroma.

Taste up front is a nice bitter roasted coffee followed by some mildly sweet dark chocolate. A bit of hops in the end make if a nicely flavored and balanced brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice silky smooth feel to it with what seems to be just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very good! Certainly one of the best porters I've had. Goes down nice and smooth with great flavor. Perfect candidate for a session porter and I plan to have many more. I must say I am quite pleased with Founders! They make some great stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Black beer, deep tan, light brown head. This is all dark chocolate and black coffee with that almost vanilla-like toasty note - aroma and flavor. Full bodied. Roasty finish. I love it because it is all the flavor you really need from a porter/ stout without being an imperial. Lets' be honest - it's a robust porter - a "stout" porter, and it will eat your hamburger and drink your milkshake.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A good looking porter. Dark, almost black. Opaque. Decent half finger tan head formed on a pretty aggressive pour, and displayed ok retention, although it has since receded to the thinnest of collars, and leaves no lace.

Some mild lactic sourness and pleasant milk chocolate aroma with a touch of more roasted malts. Rootbeer like aroma from some caramel and the roasted malts. Also some hazelnut and earthiness. Nice.

A pretty tasty brew, roastiness favours chocolate and espresso, with just a hint of char. Underlying nuttiness and soured lactic note adds balance and complexity, which is rounded out by the earthy and leafy hop note. Good stuff.

A nice feel. Medium bodied and silky smooth.

Pretty tasty and drinkable. More good stuff from Founders, suppose that isnt a real surprise. Not overly robust, this one celebrates smoothness and balance. Highly recommended to fans of the style.

4.24/5  rDev 0%

Review from notes taken about one hour ago at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. Poured from tap into a standard clean, clear pint glass. I missed this one on my trip to Founders this past fall and I was glad to find it on tap here at the Winking Lizard.

A Great light brown, creamy head that leaves great lacing on the inside of the glass after repeated sips over an absolute black body. If it can be improved, I am not aware of how. 5.0

S Not a strong, flavorful smell at all. I had to sniff several times to pick up some dark roast malt. This, to me, is typical of porters in that they do not have a strong smell. 3.5

T Dark roasted malt, grain like taste which has great depth. As I repeatedly sipped the beer (while watching the Lakers/Knicks game) I thought to myself, "This is what a porter should taste like." Founders always has done the darker beers the right way and this one is no exception. 5.0

M Smooth but also chunky, chewy in an absolutely great feel. Again, this beer is my new standard for porters. 5.0

D Fair drinkability due to the bigness, darkness of the beer. That is consistent with most beers in the style. 3.0

Notes: This is better than Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (my previous standard bearer for the style). Everyone reading this should seek this beer out (especially if it can be found on tap I suspect!).

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my first go-round with the porter. Not a big porter drinker, but Founders is easily one of my favorite breweries so I'm looking forward to this one.

12 oz'er with no freshness date. Purchased as a single.

A- Pours a thick dark brown/black, not unlike a sludgy coffee. Thick head forms, but dissipates fairly quickly. Good lacing left.

S- Real smokiness and nice roasted malt. Coffee comes through next with a little carmel in there. Hint of chocolate. Serious mocha scent.

T- At first, quite bitter, but a nice nutty sweetness comes through. Very malty but also with a nice hop presence (not a lot though). Carmel, some molasses, smoked wood. Almost a hint of fruit at the end, seems more like an illusion, or allusion maybe.

M- Very silky, but also a nice carbonation comes through.

D- Super drinkable and smooth. For someone who doesn't typically reach for it, this is a really, really nice porter. As the bottle contends, "Dark, rich + sexy," indeed. Go get you some.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

12/29/09

Founders
Porter
Abv 6.7

This beer is absolutely amazing. This is my number one porter, my golden example. I have tried as many beers as I can get my hands on from founders and they have become my top 3 favorite brew co. I have yet to find a beer that they make that isn't good and they seem to have a knack for blowing my mind away.

A= 5.0 Engine oil black with a very small head that is dark brown and medium lasting

S= 4.5 The smell is like a fresh cup of coffee and the finest dark German chocolate you can find

T= 4.5 First you get smooth melted chocolate then hit with afternoon dark French roasted coffee followed up by a mild bitter dark chocolate after taste

M= 4.0 It feels like the marriage of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee

D= 4.0 Great beer that I could probably drink a few.

I just wanted to take the time to express my love for Founders brewery again. There centennial IPA is one of the beers that got me into the great world of micro brewing. I just climbed the beer-a-myd with their red rye p.a. to their pale ale to their porter. This is a true beauty of a beer and it makes me nothing but happy. I hope others can get the joy I get from this beer. Long live Founders, long live craft beer!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

My review of Founder's Porter using only three-word sentences:

Color is stout-like. Darkest, deepest brown. Thin, bubbly head. Quintessential porter aroma. Chocolate and coffee. Roasty but smooth. Wonderful, comforting flavor. Bittersweet chocolate first. Roasted malt sweetness. Flavorful without heaviness. Bitterness lingers slightly. Light-bodied yet satisfying. Finished too fast. New favorite porter.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours black in the pint glass,a little brownish head remains,the chocolate notes hit ya up front but they are not overpowering the hop rounds this one out but leaves just enough dark maltiness,this is one fine porter,easy drinker,and a real deal for the price

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a voluptuous looking black with a light chocolate colored head, about 1 finger, recedes to a ring and cap. Splotchy lacing throughout. Smell is coffee, malts, and chocolate all the way, blended nicely. Taste is chocolate and malt up front with a big lingering chocolaty finish. Goes very nicely with the silky smooth mouthfeel, very delicious. Great porter, one of the best I've had.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

A very sexy beer. Pours pitch black with a nice two finger dark tan head (perfect color for a porter) that is nice and creamy and leaves me very thick lacing behind. A ring is left after the head dies down, the retention being the only lost points on the appearance. Smells like a good candy to me. There is a very nice cocoa aspect that blends beautifully with a roast malt backbone in the aroma. Earthy hops weave their way into the scent to add a nice balance to the roast. The great strength of the aroma allows me to sniff this one for a very extended period of time. There is also a touch of vanilla which finishes off this great aroma. The taste is similar to the nose. Huge roasted malts are the dominant flavor for me along with some cocoa and smokiness. There are definitely a good amount of roasted malts in this recipe, chocolate malt specifically. I get a smoky flavor but this is probably from something like black patent type malt. The vanilla is lost in the taste for me and the hops take a bigger step forward. The flavor does not come together as well as the aroma but is still a good example of the Porter. Mouthfeel consists of a nice medium body with lower carbonation than many beers. I prefer this low carbonation with such a rich flavor. Earthy hops and roast malts stay on the tongue long after the beer is swallowed. No alcohol or warming in this ale at all. I might want this to be a tiny bit thicker to get the perfect rating. Drinkability is very nice, I could session the crap out of this and the price is not bad. I will buy this one to session if it continues to come to my area.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company