Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,412 | Reviews: 1,480

- very dark in color
- thick
- tastes like coco
- choclatey after taste

2.01/5  rDev -52.8%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at room temperature.

A: Pours out of the bottle an inky brown, that becomes black in the glass - so much so that it absorbs all nearby light. Forms a thin brown head, which quickly fades to a ring. No lacing to speak of.

S: Roasted malt meets light coffee and semi-sweet chocolate, all wreathed together in a nice balance.

T: And it all falls apart. I did not expect to get such a piney hop bite from the nose, yet that is virtually all I can taste in this beer. It's difficult to notice any other aspect of the flavor profile - so much so that I cannot. This is effectively a black IPA for those who enjoy pine.

M: Watery, thin, and with a sharpness that may just be the excessive hopping.

O: Edmund Fitzgerald this is emphatically not. I shall not repeat.

2.15/5  rDev -49.5%

Everything was ok except for the taste of this one. It's very heavy and dark but the taste was just too much-tasted burnt-more so than even the smokiest of rauchbiers. Surprised this beer scores so well. I thought it was just off-maybe I got a 6 pack that burnt on the bottom of the tank!

This is the only beer I've had from Founders and have heard lots of good things subsequent to this tasting so I guess it is surprising how much I didn't like it. Will give them another try but will pass on their porter-this one just didn't do it for me.

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz twistoff into my Harpoon Liviathan Baltic Porter glass.

Appearance: Dark black, can not see through it. There was NO head and no laceing.

Smell: Roaster malt, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Was just OK, malts, strong coffee and a little chocolate came through. Almost a creamy finish.

Mouthfeel: I get a lot of coffee and not much else with no carbonation.

Drinkability: I do not have the desire to finish this one. It is just OK and I would not buy another.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Smokey flavor, not robust flavor like other porters I really like

2.85/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Not bad for my first porter

2.92/5  rDev -31.5%

I've been a sort of beer geek for two decades now but I've never really explored the full range of dark ales made today. I've had many a beer from every continent but I want now to explore American dark ales. I've decided to start with this one. Porter was an early love of mine before I was seduced by belgian tripels and german doppelbocks. Everything comes around but it's never the same twice I guess.

G - Scaldis (Bush) Noel tulip glass.

A - Pours medium bodied black with a nice fluffy tan head. Very promising. Significant amount of carbonation adhering to bottom of glass.

S - A hint of coffee, chocolate, and an off-smelling pair of phenol and medicinal odors at first whiff that disappears. A turnoff. As the beer opens a little alcohol owns much of the nose.

T - Sharp and surprisingly hot for 6.5% ABV. Prickly hops overwhelm the start of a decent set of malt flavors. Nice smooth rich malty finish. It has a long finish that lingers that isn't average but rather has two components that together average out that way.

M - Soapy on the end of the tongue, dry in the back of the palate. Not very integrated or smooth. Too carbonated.

O - The bitter and the sweet seem not to go together in this beer. Like west coast American wines this beer is very west coast American in its pursuit of sensory overload even if it's not west coast. There are delicate flavors in there but a lower and different hop recipe would serve it well. Just not for me.

Very roasty; not bad, just not my favorite expression of the style.

had from bottle. didn't like the smokey notes from the beer. Other than that, it was good.

Not that great, a dark porter.

Deep dark brown, almost black with a creamy medium brown head. Aromas of chocolate malt and mocha, with a mild alcohol sweetness. Lots of roasted malts balance a slight sourness. Not as smooth as I expected. Mouthfeel is coating, but not too heavy. Slightly sour finish. Overall, a solid beer. Would like to see a little more roundness and less of the sour/acidic flavors. Give it a try if you want.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Had this one poured from the bottle into a goblet.
Appearance: Black with a thin half-finger of head, nice lacing on the glass as it went down. Close inspection reveals lots of tiny bubbles fizzing bottom to top.
Smell: Malt, yeast, burnt coffee and chocolate. A bit of a tingle on the nose.
Taste: Very heavy, more like a stout to me. The burnt coffee & chocolate first, then malt and hops. The finish lingers reminding me of bitter medicine.
Mouthfeel: Like I said, this was heavier than I anticipated.
Overall: I was looking forward to cracking this one open. Disappointing. Porter isn't my favorite style, but I really enjoy Orginal Flag and crave the occasional Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. This one, not so much. Out of respect to the brothers and my fellow BAs I'll give this one another shot but I'll have my porter lovin' buddy standing by for the handoff.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

Typical porter. Very good though

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

just a decent porter to try

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

I originally sampled this beer on 12 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Aroma: This has some burnt/roasted notes on the nose;
Mouthfeel: It is dry & bitter on the palate.
Overall Impression: This is a nice middle of the road porter.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

This is my first American porter, so I may not be a fair judge to the style.

A: Beautiful and dark. I didn't get any head, but the lacing clumped together and stayed throughout the glass.

S: Rich and satisfying. Smelled toffee, chocolate, burnt malts and coffee.

T: I don't think I cared for the burnt malts, but this beer has plenty of big and bold flavors. It can be a little overwhelming. Even for 6.5% ABV the alcohol stayed in the background.

M: I like beers with lower carbonation and no hops, and this one fit the bill. Just went down extremely smooth. Would swirl the beer on my tongue without ill effect.

D: A fairly easy drinking beer, but the flavors are so bold that if you don't like them, you won't be able to take this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too often in a fit of “oh shit the baby’s going to wake up, poop everywhere and need to be changed, fed and played with” I don’t let the beer mellow, to come down a few degrees. I started this review in haste before deciding to take my own advice. Glad I did.

STYLE: American Porter

ABV: 6.5%

LOOK: Unremarkable, the midpoint between oily and soda. An appalling lack of lacing. What head?

NOSE: We’re off to a rather good start. Over a foot away, I can smell the chocolate and red fruits as it pours. Better as it warms. Smoother too. We’ve gone from metallic to mid-range coffee.

MOUTH: It settles into coffee and lightly burnt malts. Not the extraordinary failure I thought it was at first. Medium body, dirty, barn doors, green pear. It has to be sessionable, but not because the ABV is relatively low. It simply lacks something robust, be it flavor or texture.

Beeradvocate Rating: 95

ratebeer Rating: 100

Hayward Abbey Rating: 82

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: dark brown, small head, medium carbonation

Smell: expresso, some chocolate, malt

Taste: expresso, light chocolate, malt

Mouthfeel: bitter heavy and thick

Drinkability: Not as impressed with this one as some of Founder's other offerings. The bitterness to this porter really struck me. I would have it again if I saw it, but would look for other porters first.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

The beer was well received however a few people thought it to be too hoppy for a porter, almost like a mix between an IPA and a porter. This can be great, but when someone expects a porter they do not expect a heave hop taste. It was great, but a little bitter for someone trying to order a porter.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

A good offering from Founders but not my favorite. It looked good in the glass. It was black, opaque, and had 2 fingers of coffee foam colored head riding on top. Maybe its because I like Breakfast Stout but I found this beer lacking in complexity. It seemed entirely made up of roasted coffee and lacked any chocolate and under tones I almost take for granted in dark beers. Its a good deal at $10 a six pack but in the future when I want a readily available dark beer from Founders, I am seeking out Breakfast Stout.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Seems a bit one dimensional to me. Lots of bitterness, not unpleasant, just boring. Coffee and burt malt flavors overpower it and cover up everything else. Very slight chocolate flavor sneaks in, buit it's too little too late. Nice looking opaque black body with a thin, fast fading tan head. Medium mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

A - nice and dark but the head vanished quickly.

S - roasted bet a little bitter plus an odd under tone.

T - starts out really nice, but gets a bit too bitter in the after taste.

M - medium tingle all Oct the mouth.

D - the flavor makes you want to drink it, but the bitter finish makes you not want too many.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good stuff but not the best stout

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Expected better from a Founders beer.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not my favorite by Founders. Maybe I just prefer stouts to porters but this didnt go down as smooth as I liked and had very intense dark flavors. It was very strong and had a long finish.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company