Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,474 | Hads: 6,702

From notes 1-19-10

Eye: Black and opaque, no light passes through this, being this dark its hard to judge how clear this beer is. Head retention could use some work, presently its just a thin tan film covering the body of the beer. Legs of lacing, foamy head.

Nose: Big coffee and heavily roasted and burnt, black acrid aromas, dark chocolate chocolate. Everything a porter should be. Some sweetness and calm milky tones underneath...not that I get lactose, its just the way to describe the richness and overall smoothness of the entire beer. Up there with Edmund Fiztgerald.

Tongue: Extremely smooth. Big roasted and burnt bitterness notes. Not cloyingly bitter or acrid thorugh. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, roasted tones. Seriously, everything you could really want from a porter. Hop bitterness is low and is out of the way of this beer, black malt and roasted grain bitterness give balance here.

Feel and Drinkability: Great body and feel. This is definitely one that I'll not shy away from. Different from GLBC Fitzgerald, but just as good. They are two different beasts of the same name, same nature. Body is medium, a bit lighter in heft than I would have expected....it feels like velvet though. Aftertaste is long lasting and is of coffee, chocolate and some roasted grain bitterness. You can't ask for more.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours what seems jet black with nice tannish head. Smells of chocolate malt with a little roast. Hops are pine-like and slightly spicy. Tastes mostly roasty with waves of chocolate and caramel. Feels like I bit into a Hershey candy bar. Tastes medium full with ample bitterness. An excellent tasting porter. I'm really glad I came across this. Will be looking for this one again.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this at lunch at Kieran's Pub in Minneapolis. Very pleased to see it on the menu. Poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Founder's Porter pours a very dark brown color, almost black, with about a finger of mocha colored head. Lacing is a moderate layer of fine film after it reduces.

Smell: Lots of roasted malts, some chocolate, and just a touch of smoke. It smells very rich.

Taste: I've got to say this is one of the richest porters I've ever tried. Lost of roasted malts, chocolate, and vanilla. Classic porter taste, just great.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied with a little carbonation. Viscous, very smooth and creamy on the palate. Delightful. This is absolutely an awesome tasting porter. My favorite of the style that I've had.

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a near black with some ruby edges. Has a dark tan fluffy head that settles to a layer on top with minimal lacing. Good looks.

Brew smells of roasted malts, big roasted nose; coffee, dark cocoa molasses. Very good nose.

Brew is velvety smooth, creamy head and mouthfeel. Full bodied brew here. Sweet cocoa, roasted notes picked up in the drying semi bitter finish. A bit of milk chocolate as well. Great feel and flavors here. Tremendous.

Wow - may be the best porter I have had. I would like to sample this next to some of my favorites of this style. This is certainly a world class stand out brew here.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Enjoyed on tap at Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. Pour with a black body and extremely dark brown and thick head of fluffy foam. Aromas of chocolate and coffee along with some roasted malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Flavor is almost like a milk chocolate bar. There's a toasty flavor from the malts as well and a sweet but not cloying finish with a little bit of bitterness. This beer is just execptional!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

poured into tulip from bottle.

This is as black a porter as I have seen. Head is deep brown, almost a deep reddish hue. Sticky lacing as well.

Smell is heavy on the roasted malts, a bit nutty, earthy quality and malty but also get a definite piny hop aroma, not used to that in most porters (excluding Alpha Klaus).

Taste is all dark chocolate to start, then coffee and malt kicks, with some hops to make for bitter finish. There is a smoky quality as well, even reminiscent of bacon.

Heavier than others I've tried, a bit thick. As much as I love Great Lakes porter, at first blush, this is every bit it's equal. Another exceptional Founders beer. Would love to try this fresh on tap.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

I grabbed a bottle of this at State Spirits the other week. One of the founders beers I had yet to try, I dove right in. Served cold and poured into a pint glass to warm up, this one was consumed on 03/31/2009.

What a pour. Black as night with a rich tan colored head that reached a height of at least two inches before settling down to a respectable inch of head that did not go away. Lots of chocolate and coffee leading the way here. Hints of molasses as well. Huge flavor here, maybe the best tasting porter I have come across. Lots of cocoa and chocolate, rich, huge flavor with a smooth creaminess that was second to none in my eyes. Really fantastic balance here as the chocolate really starts to come out as it warms. Lots of flavor here with a ton of mellow notes that were just all over the place. Nice tight, dry finish as it fades off into the night, this was a great way to end my evening.

Overall a very solid beer. One of the best i have had as a standard porter in a long, long time. I would have no issue going after thi one any day.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

A - Opaque black with brown tinges under a tremendous off white head that sticks around a good while.

S - Most notably, the bitter dark chocolate makes its presence known. Aside, we have an earthy malt backbone.

T - Wonderful in the depth of flavor this one has. The dark chocolate lays a path for hints of nut, date and molasses to march down. Absolutely great taste.

M - Full bodied with a fairly dry finish amongst the decent carbonation and dark chocolate aftertaste.

O - Unquestionably the best American Porter I've ever had. So good that my tongue cried tears of tasty.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is bordering on black with a nice two-finger light brown head with nice retention and sticky lacing.

Smell is a nice mix of coffee and chocolate. There is some roasted malt in there as well making it a nice roasted and fairly sweet aroma.

Taste up front is a nice bitter roasted coffee followed by some mildly sweet dark chocolate. A bit of hops in the end make if a nicely flavored and balanced brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice silky smooth feel to it with what seems to be just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very good! Certainly one of the best porters I've had. Goes down nice and smooth with great flavor. Perfect candidate for a session porter and I plan to have many more. I must say I am quite pleased with Founders! They make some great stuff!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black with a very large brown head. Great retention, thick and sticky lacing. Small bubbles of carbonation race to the top of the glass in an incessant stream.

S: Coffee grounds, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, moist chocolate cake, a touch of earthiness, and some mild citric hops.

T: Roasted malt taste assaults the palate. Lots of chocolate: dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and devil's food cake. Bitter coffee surfaces momentarily. Faint hints of plum. Quick citric hop bite comes to the forefront, but recedes as quickly as it hit. Vanilla comes out a bit as the beer warms. Finish is semi-dry and never-ending and showcases rich malt tastes of chocolate cake and some woody/smokey notes.

M: Thick, creamy, and smooth. Crisp carbonation and a mild warming alcohol sensation are also apparent. Very slightly astringent.

D: On the bigger side of the style, but oh-so drinkable.

Notes: A shining example of the style. Delicious and very technically sound, from what I can tell. The label says it all: Dark, rich, and sexy. An excellent beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

a: pitch black with a half finger tan head that slowly fizzles down to a ring and leaves minimal lacing.

s: roasted coffee, malts, chocolate

t: pretty much follows the nose with roasted coffee and malts, a hint of sweetness from the malts and chocolate.

m: full bodied with a creamy feel to it. leaves with a touch of bitterness.

o: damn good porter, perfectly blended. a must have year round.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Look: Dark as night chocolate color with little to no head.

Smell: Lots of chocolate smells, mild roast very rich.

Taste: Rich, chocolate flavors. Paired it with some caramel chocolate and it went nicely with this balanced beer.

Feel: Felt plain in the mouth didn't wow me but wasn't very heavy either.

Overall: This beer surprised me. Tried to compare this to Sierra Nevada's porter and this one takes it for sure.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one great beer! I will purchase this brew often. The color and taste are something that I remember from drinking this style of beer in the past. you can find it in some but not all beer stores in NJ. I look forward to drinking the other founders beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

The sample I got fizzed like crazy, so have a towel handy if opening a bottle! It pours a beautiful midnight sable with a very thick, fluffy, persistent tan head. Smoky, oily aroma has tones of molasses, caramel and fine coffee. Rich flavor has firm smoky overtone and coffee, nutty, molasses and caramel components as well as a hint of hop bitterness. Texture is smooth with a subtle fizz and leaves a nice smoky and slightly sweet finish.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a very dark black color with a half inch of tan head that goes away quickly. Spotty lacing is left on the glass. I blame the glass I used as the poor effort of this beer. Previously I had poured one of these in a Sam Adams glass and it developed a very nice head. The aroma is what all American Porters should strive for. Cocoa, coffee, dark malt, a touch of smoke, and an American twist, some citrus hops. The flavor is likewise impressive. A lot of malt flavor and smoke with just a touch of citrus. The hops never overcome the malt but it is noted. Bitterness is also fairly high. The body is robust and filling. Carbonation is well suited to this beer. Nice soft, creamy texture. I think this is one of Founders best beers. I would take one of these over a FBS.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

I love chewing on this beer.

Dark rich and YES sexy. I have been so damn excited to try this beer and I have been waiting for that special moment to try it. Well tonight my wife just brought it to me and said " looks like you could use a beer.". She had no idea what she was serving me. Couldn't have found the perfect moment so this is it.

I don't get founders here in Idaho so this is a real treat. I am in love.

Look- what no head on this great beer odd. Granted I didn't pour it. Dark looking beer that Is perfect except for no head.

Smell. This is perfect. Carmel and cocco

Taste. Chocolate with a hint of tea. Carmel with burnt barrel on the finish.

Feel. Smooth. I love this beer sitting in my mouth.

Overall well I might have a new beer in my top 10. Seriously this beer is great and needs to be on your drink list. I will trade anytime for this beer.

Thanks for the quality craft beer

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours a very dark brown, almost black with a nice thin tan head.

S: There is a lot going on with the smell. I am getting a lot of roasted malt, espresso and chocolate.

T: This is the best part of this beer. Just like the smell, I am getting chocolate, roasted malt and espresso. It is just amazing.

M: It is actually pretty crisp with a tingle on the tongue and the back of the throat. It is very nice and adds a lot of the beer.

O: This is an amazing beer and I want to have it all the time. This is a must buy!

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

Black, nearly opaque with just a little light showing through. Thin wispy head. The appearance is the only thing that's not superb about this beer.
Smells like fresh gound coffee beans with some bitter sweet chocolate. Exactly the way a good porter is supposed to smell imo.
Wonderful charred grain flavor. Good mix btwn the roasted, coffee, chocolate, and bitter flavors. One of the better balanced porters I've had. Reminds me of Foothills Peoples Porter, which is one of my favs.
Love the mouthfeel. Lush, fuller than most porters. Kind of raw. I love the way the flavors coat the mouth and last until you decide to take another sip.
I could sit around and drink this all night long.
Great porter that I received as part of The Educators BIF.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

Been a while since I had this one, recollection was that it was quite good. It always seems to be available, maybe I just take it for granted.

Drunk on tap at Pizza House in East Lansing over a game of euchre. Pours an opaque black, streaks of brown throughout. Not a lot of head.

Incredible smelling beer, perfect blend of coffee, roasted malt, little bit of cocoa. One of the best smelling beers I've come across.

Like the smell, the taste is spot on. Coffee and chocolate roll in and out, in a brilliantly understated way. The coffee taste is quite pronounced, more so than in beers that declare themselves to be coffee porters.

Mouthfeel is also superb, thick and velvety, perfect carbonation, wettish finish.

Great porter, not to mention, Founders seems to get the difference between a porter and a stout. As stated, it's a better coffee porter than many beers that proclaim themselves to be coffee porters. I love that about Founders, not a lot of bravado, they just get er done and crank out awesome beer. I have yet to have had a bad drink from them.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

There's a reason why Founder's is mentioned any time there's a discussion of breweries with solid (indeed, excellent) line-ups. Had as part of flight. Dark chocolate in color with a mocha head, aroma of roasted malt, dark fruits, a little baking cocoa. Taste follows, with some smokey, roasted bitterness. Thick and beautiful feel.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Black; looks like a stout

Smell: roasted and chocolate malts at its finest.

Taste: again, such great depth in flavor between the roasted and chocolate malts.

Mouthfeel: Heavy medium body; chewy and chalky.

Overall: My favorite porter along with Smuttynose and Eddy Fitz. I can't say enough good things about it

Poured 12 oz into mug.

Like others have said this brew pours solid black with a thin gold/bronze head which goes away and leaves a ring with nice lacing.

Smell a bit of licorice and alcohol. Also toasted/burnt malts.

Taste exactly how I want my porters to taste. Complex flavors battle for top billing... smoke, dark chocolate, toasted grain, licorice. Delicious

mouthfeel smooth and silky.

Overall this is a damn good porter. I highly recommend and I will definitely buy again

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pitch black with an above average sized, smooth, creamy, cafe colored head. Good retention with a very nice creamy lacing.

S - Loads of chocolate and cocoa. Hints of coffee that get stronger on the finish of the whiff and malt. No astringency or bitterness on the nose. The more I smell, the more hints of a full roasted coffee I get. Smells great.

T - Loads of chocolate, cocoa, and dark roasted coffee in the mix. A nice earthy /nuttiness in the background that comes out nicely on the finish. Roasted dark malt and a hint of earthy and pine hoppiness on the finish (hops start kicking in mid sip). Just the faintest astringency on the finish as well.

M - On the full side of medium body. Smooth and creamy with average carbonation (although there is a spark of bubbliness mid sip) with a slightly dry finish.

D - Very, very easy to drink porter. Not too sweet or bitter/astringent. Plenty of chocolate and coffee with a nice dark, roasted tasted. Very easy to put down and I'm loving every sip of it.

Notes: Bottled 2/28/12. Wonderful porter. All the flavors I want in a porter with nothing I really dislike in some porters. May not astound me, but it is a very solid choice. A lot of flavor and just a well crafted beer that is very enjoyable to sip on.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S - In a pint glass poured from the bottle

A - Very heavy looking pour. Extremely dark brown in color. Thicker and darker than many of the stouts. About one finger thick, a nice tan colored head with decent retention. Awesome lacing.

S - Charred malt and barley aroma upfront. Slight amount of hops. Aroma is still very much like a porter. Very well balanced. Overall strength is mild to medium strong just like a good porter.

T - It has burnt up malts shining throughout. Slight coffee flavor. Good mix of hops though it's not bitter; it provides a good balance. Some cocoa taste. Dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Not boozy.

M - On the thicker and more full bodied side. Low to moderate carbonation which is very likable. No astringency only the lingering taste of burnt up malts.

O - This is how a porter should be.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 3/31/11. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a beautiful shiny pitch black, nice mocha head that sticks around, and very thick lacing. Great looking porter! The aromas get better as this one warms up. Lots of milk chocolate, with some coffee undertones. The flavors are bitter, but balanced. Once again, more milk chocolate w/ a slight roastiness. The coffee/expresso is still present. Extremely bold flavors. Mouthfeel is awesome.. extremely silky and velvety, creamy and smooth. Awesome beer!

This kind of blurs the line of a traditional porter, but it is what it is.. there's no denying its' overall complexity. It's a highly enjoyable treat and is up there w/ Eddy Fitz, IMO. Awesome brew, definitely recommended.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company