Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

A wonderful porter, poured into an imperial pint glass from the bottle. Beer is dark like coffee and produces a nice two finger chocolate head that leave a rich lacing with each drink.

The porter immediately hits you with its coffee, chocolate tones and at first seems like any ordinary porter, but after the first couple mouthfuls more complex flavor become present. There is a hint of licorice or mint, but a nice floral tone that finishes off each sip (or gulp). I can't quite place the floral tone but I feel like there is a lavender-like or maybe sweet-grass tone to the palate but it is a wonderful after-tone to the heaviness of a porter.

I highly recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a porter that goes beyond the typical "dark" flavors of a porter and wants a more complex experience

jahilgen, May 20, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

A- black chocolate color with minimal head

S-Smokey, coffee, cocoa, somewhat nutty

T- Taste explosion of smokey chocolate balance with a smooth

M-lighter than you'd expect from a Founder's Porter (but this is what I like)

D-extremely drinkable due to the smooth character and 6.5% ?? Very smooth for this and therefore a perfect choice for any Porter lover like me.

klink40, Oct 02, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a bottle to a tulip shaped glass.
This beer pours a very dark brown if not black with a dark tan 1.5-2 finger head.
The smell is of roasted malts and dark chocolate.
You get a lot of bitter chocolate roasted malt in the flavor as well.
The beer is so smooth creamy mouth feel and is extremely drinkable. This is by far my favorite porter.

JoePat, Feb 14, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle to a tulip - real fresh bottle. One of the top porters out there, for sure. Chocolates, roasts, coffees dominate in aroma and taste. Very well balanced without any unwanted bitterness. Presents nicely, being nearly pitch black with a creamy off-white head. Can drink this one forever and not get sick of it.

stealth, Jan 12, 2012
4.79/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears pitch black in color aside from a ring of mahogany highlighting at the bottom of the glass. Nice creamy looking one inch head that sinks down to a centimeter thick cap. It sinks down a bit more as the session goes on but is always present. Moderate lacing is left behind.

Aroma is nice and chocolaty, more so of the milk variety than dark. There's a bit of a charred wood and roasty coffee smell as well.

Taste is very chocolaty from the start with a nice caramelly sweetness to it as well. Midway through a bit of a wet wood character comes through followed by some light roasted coffee tones in the finish. The chocolaty flavor seems to be much more prominent though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and extremely creamy. It just floats on down your throat.

This is an excellent Porter, possibly the best I've had. It's almost like a cross between a Porter and Oatmeal Stout to me. That residual sweetness adds a nice dimension to it. I hope some of this stuff gets here soon so I can get more.

roadhouse, Jan 13, 2009

A: Black, Black, Black, with a great mocha hued
head.

S: Coffee, chocolate toastiness with the malt
and hop in perdfect balance.

T: Deep rich malt flavors with understated cocoa
coffee, and a slight hop finish

D/M: Rich and creamy with a body that allows
for service at breakfast, lunch, or dinner

ArrogantDeadGuy, Jul 01, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

another great beer from founders. Appearance is black like motor oil. Smells of malts, chocolate and some coffee. Taste better than its smells. Smell isn't bad but the taste supersedes it though. Mouthful is just undescribable and drinkabilty this probably the best porter ever

yuenglingfan101, Mar 29, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark, Rich, and Sexy, yes it is!

While I am still new to the characteristics of beer, I will try my best.

Nice dark color, and comes to a good head.

Tastes amazing, creamy and sweet with hints of coffee and cocoa

Texture is a little thin but the flavor makes up for any shortfalls in this beer.

This beer is amazing, and I have yet to find another Porter that is equal!

incucrash, May 23, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Thick, black liquid pours into the glass with a thick brown head that has great retention and coats the glass in sticky lacing. Never thought a porter would look this well.

S/T - Fresh roasted coffee up front mixed with hints of dark chocolate, and finishing with a robust, earthy roast bitterness.

M - Full body, low carbonation, thick and oily across the palate and smooth going down.

O - A quintessential example of a robust porter. Everything is spot on about this beer. I will definitely get this again.

garuda, Jun 24, 2011
4.81/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The pour produces a two fingered khaki colored head. This dissipates slowly taking on a pillowy appearance. The liquid is completely opaque. A strong expresso aroma. Tastes of burnt toast, sweet coffee, a little maltiness.... exceptionally well balanced. Silky smooth mouthfeel with just a little carbonation. One of the best porters I've had the pleasure of sampling. This will be a regular!

Steamer, Jan 26, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

"Dark, rich, and sexy." Indeed. Our eyes met from across the brewpub. She stood at the bar, all decked out in righteous finery. It was when she peered over her shoulder that her beauty took hold of me: those dark brown, nearly black eyes; those burnt ochre tresses, somehow simultaneously thick and light, that she nonchalantly brushed away from those aforementioned eyes; she certainly appeared nearly perfect. I had to speak to her. As I neared, her perfume caught my nose, sending me further over the edge before we've even met. It was dark, it was roasty, it reminded me of a chocolatier's workshop. Finally, I made it to the pinnacle: I old-fashionedly cleared my throat loudly, springing the trap. I thought she'd bite, but instead she ended up trapping me within those dark eyes, which in turn were reinforced by that rich, creamy skin. I was stunned. Luckily, she took the lead. As we spoke, grew closer, her very essence dove into my senses, recalling and complimenting her perfume. The sweetness, the roast; the chocolate, the molasses, the brown sugar (how come it tastes so good!?), the nutmeg, the coffee, the subtle vanilla. I don't know how I survived the encounter. In fact, she was so rounded, such a complete package, full of energy yet more than willing to slow down and savor the moment, that we talked, nay connected, far after the doors were closed. I had fallen hard. And we've been together ever since. Now, Dean-o, THAT's amore!

TMoney2591, Mar 28, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance - Pours a midnight black hue, nice creamy mocha head

Smell - Nice hints of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, smoke, peat, campfire

Taste - Big rich coffee and espresso flavors right up front, so gorgeous. I am getting vanilla, milk chocolate, toasted almonds, roasted barley, tobacco. It tastes so rich.

Mouthfeel - This thing is silky smooth, perfect.

Overall - Founders makes the best dark stouts ever, its no doubt i would love their porter just as much. This thing is the tastiest damn drinkable thing I've ever had and EASILY MY FAVORITE PORTER. wow founder, wow.

aorloski, Mar 10, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Pitcher at Winking Lizard in Mentor Ohio. I had 1 and my friend had 1. Two beautiful black Pitchers of Goodness . Nose is milky cocoa, smokey, nice malted milk character, some dark fruits & really dark caramel. Flavor is sweet roasty malt, rich dark fruits. A touch of burnt in the slightly smokey & malty finish, along with a bit of hop that balances things perfectly. 1 of my favorite Porters "Ever" along with a Founders Breakfast Stout...mmm Good.

beergod1, Mar 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This by far the ideal porter that one can have or rather the benchmark all other porters should be compared to. The color and head are spot on, smell is sweet chocolate/coffee which tastes almost as it smells but better!

I go to Founder's weekly and this is one that I usually will get if nothing else catches my fancy.

vandeg, Jan 16, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A. Poured into a snifter from a bottle. Pours dark, cola like with moderate carbonation. Condensation sweats on the outside of the snifter as a creamy tan head forms with a frothy ring of lace.
S. The aroma of freshly cut wood. A whiff of smoked malts and burnt sugar. It smells like black coffee thats been on the burner for a while. Dark chocolate and roasted nuts with a faint hint of alcohol. The slight aroma of a smoldering campfire.
T. Founders Porter is a fantastic tasting Porter. Upfront it's smokey, earthy bitter and sweet. The taste of rich dark chocolate and almonds. Burnt sugar, caramel with a hint of vanilla. Bready like pumpernickel. Espresso like bitterness with a warmth of alcohol.
M. A medium body feel. Creamy slick and oily. Slightly dry at the end.
D. A slow sipper with everything you could ask for in a Porter. It has a big taste for a little beer. The very last sip was as good as the first.

oneeye, Sep 07, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

After hearing about this brew for a couple of years and never being able to find it, I picked up a fresh sixer at the local Binny's...

A terrific blend of hops and dark roasted malts present in the aroma... This is pungent and powerful... Hints of cocoa and chocolate... This is amazing...

A smooth delicious flavor experience present here with those dark roasted malts... the piney hops.... the vanilla beans... the tinges of booze... An amazing beer for the style... Founders nailed this one... Easily one of the best examples of the style...

Finally get to try this one and I'm not disappointed at all.. Just an amazing beer...A truly top notch porter here... World class brew... I loved every minute of this...

Tilley4, Nov 09, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

The best porter of my recollection. Extremely good.

Aroma is rich and inviting. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle, even with my nose more than a foot away from the bottle. Lots of toastyness.

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a beautiful dark tan head .

Flavor is intense. Rich toasted malt. Dark chocolate. Nice balance of bitter and rich notes. Not at all sweet but definitely rich. Maybe a tinge of fruit in there, maybe a tiny hint of cherries and raisins.

Exquisite mouthfeel. Supremely smooth but with just a tiny bit of carbonation. Lingering richness in the mouth. Not too sweet but not too bitter. Hops are in the background but are not dominant. Some spices too.

An extremely good beer. This one is worth seeking out.

jmbranum, May 01, 2014
4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

roughboyrob, Aug 18, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied brown colored head that laces the glass a bit on its way down.
S: Smells of deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, hints of chocolate, coffee, and a touch of earthy hops fill the nose.
T: Tastes of sweet and bitter deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, a nice chocolate and coffee flavor to this one with hints of brown sugar and a hint of hops at the end.
M: Very smooth, rich, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this beer is an excellent version of the porter. All the flavors and then some that really go well with it were in there and not too much alcohol to make it pretty sessionable. It was excellent. Just like it says, Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

erosier, Feb 27, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer pours an opaque dark brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is roasted malt, milk chocolate, and smores. It is very aromatic, and quite complex. The taste is like the aroma. Nothing over the top, and nothing far out there. It simply has all the qualities a good porter should have. Lots of roasted malt, ample chocolate, and an overall smores like quality. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great porter that is sure to become a mainstay in my refrigerator. It reminds me of a slightly more robust Bell's Porter in that it isn't over the top in any one area, but is balanced in everything a porter should be.

KarlHungus, May 31, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Haven't reviewed a beer in quite some time despite trying many many beers over the past few years...but this porter, wow! Had to write a few comments.

To be honest, it totally caught me by suprise. I haven't kept up with rankings and have really only heard the occasional hype about x or y special release beers. So to take a flyer on one of the couple of Founders beers I hadn't yet tried...man, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Appearance: Starts off with a great pour. I had mine from the bottle, but it poured a deep deep brownish black with tons of frothiness to it. The head was super pillowy and incredibly appealing

Smell: Equally alluring after the impressive pour. The smokiness really stands out to me here. Some of the same feedback I get when enjoying a good singlemalt...some smokey, almost peaty tones come through.

Taste: This is what its all about. The smokiness came alive with a burst of accompanying coffee, chocolate, caramel....all of which lingered. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich. Someone else mentioned that it was almost stout-like. I came away with the exact same impression. This isn't to say that it's untrue to the style. On the contrary, I think Founders has packed so much flavor into this particular porter...that the mouthfeel is just so much richer than what is typical.

This is one of the better beers (especially since Porters are not my favorite) I've had in a long time. It's actually got me excited about reviewing beers again...ha!

supernaut, Feb 08, 2012

12 oz. bottle dated 2/22/10 poured into a snifter

A- Black with a huge tan head.

S- Chocolate, roasted coffee, roasted malts, and a hint of caramel and hops.

T- Rich, complex, and balanced. A great blend of roasted coffee and chocolate with a great malt backbone, and had a nice bitter bit in the finish.

M- Thick, creamy, and silky smooth.

D- This is a great beer, one of the best I have had. With how big the taste is I would really only have one as a dessert, I could not drink more than one in a sitting. I got this in a Founders variety pack with Centennial IPA, Dirty Bastard, and Red's Rye PA, and this is the best out of the four.

larryi86, Aug 02, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a pitch black with a small head that fades into an even and minimal lacing. The aroma has strong coffee notes with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is almost the opposite - predominant chocolate notes with a hint of espresso. It's amazing - and gives their Breakfast Stout a run for the money. Minimal carbonation and a very balanced beer (sweet for a porter) make this a very drinkable beer.

I'd probably buy this over the Breakfast stout since it was (I think) $12 for 6, vs. $14 for 4 breakfast stouts. I'd very highly recommend this beer.

*It's going to be difficult to save a couple bottles for my beer-buddies!

msolar, Feb 04, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Another brew Kevin hooked up in our trade, thanks man! Poured from unstamped bottle to mug the beer pours an oily viscous opaque black with a 1 finger mocha colored head with good retention and lacing throughout. The nose is an impressive blast of rich coffee, cocoa, roast. Terrific. If I didn't know better I'd say this is a stout. More character than any non-imperial porter I've sampled. Awesome. The flavor follows suit with again tons of coffee, roast, cocoa along with a mild bitterness, and hint of caramel and nut. Unbelievably smooth. Creamy. I can't believe how much flavor is packed into this brew, no hint of alcohol but with so much going on I'd think this was a much bigger beer to accommodate the character. Medium bodied. Well carbonated. To say this is a treat is an understatement. New standard for me.

hopfacebrew, Apr 26, 2012
4.86/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

wattoclone, Nov 14, 2012