Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-Tap served into a pint glass.

Hands down, this might be the best porter I have ever had. So rich and complex, but yet, easy to drink.

A- Dark black color, tan head about a quarter of an inch. Insane spider web lacing throughout- sticking to the glass without a problem.

S- Smell was like chocolate ice cream with a touch of vanilla followed by some caramel.

T- Lots going on here. Coffee, chocolate, cake batter like flavors, decent hop punch, all rolled into one and rounded out so perfectly. This one made my taste buds go crazy as there were so many flavors involved.

M- Mouthfeel was rich and creamy, sticky aftertaste.

D- This is a great porter, top notch. Easy to drink, not too heavy, although the flavors would usually indicate that this beer could make you tired.

Amazing stuff from Founders, once again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goodness me. Rich, Dark and Sexy indeed. Thanks for making further review reading obsolete you crazy-talented dudes at Founders. By that I don't mean others who post should not be read, I just mean that tthe rest of my review can simply be boiled down to...Rich, Dark and Sexy. Here is what I can add. Is it possible to liquify charcoal briquettes? If so, it looks like this porter pours. Not only is is truly black, even when held to the light, it seems to intimidate the rest of the illumination in the room. I think my screen just dimmed a bit. A rich mocha head crowns the glass. Aroma is redolent of roast, dry cocoa, hints of hazelnut, kahlua, earthy hops and a faint, faint hint of alcohol. Yeah, this is going to get good. Flavors mirror what the nostrils anticipated with coating dark malts, whisps of smoke, deep bittersweet chocolate, black coffee and simple deliciousness. This puppy finishes dry and roasty with a lightly lingering, taunting residual temptation to continue drinking it all night long. Forget Double Trouble, Devil Dancer and Breakfast Stout (all freakin' amazing too), why isn't Founder's better know for this year-round powerhouse?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Midnight pour...so dark and mysterious for a porter. Big tan head lingers for some time. Great lacing right off the bat. As beer consumed - it just got better.

Nose is dominated by rich chocolate. Can almost taste a lush melted chocolate off the nose. A hit of roast malt and just a bit of floral hop aroma in the back. The roast came out more as the beer opened up.

Smooth entry - builds out with the chocolate malt, the roast is more pronounced in the taste. Perfect balance between the two...then the bittering hops add their own balance. No discernable bittering hops, just enought to help clean out the palate for the next sip. Tasting bittersweet chocolate on this long finish. A hint of musty yeast on the finish - but in a good way like the best british porters on cask.

A lovely complexity of flavor...when porter is done to this level, it is one of my favorite styles. Fantastic flavor development and perfect use of hops for the style. They don't take over the beer, rather compliment the underlying flavor and provides a cleansing to the palate.

My goodness, the roastiness develops more and more with each sip.

I put this up with a few of my favorite Porters - Smuttynose and Great Lakes Ed Fitz (on tap circa early 1990's). Those ad few tasty ones I had on cask in english pubs too long ago to remember the brewery...

This may be my favorite Founders beer to date, which is really saying something.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

bottle to pint glass.

aggressive pour to 2 fingers of light khaki head.

great drink, outstanding stout/porter.

great flavor profiles. all clean, nothing bad to say, no wow factor to put it in world class. will drink again.

compared to other beers in this category, this may be my favorite.non - bourbon aged/vanilla/chocolate/java/ stout/porter

12oz bottle into a pint

A- pours almost pure black with a cm of light brown head which reduced to a collar and film quite quickly. fairly heavy lacing for the style. the head didn't stay around for long but it was exceptionally dark for a porter.

S- coffee and bitter chocolate. an evident sweetness from a heavy malt profile. dark and robust.

T- very much like the Breakfast stout I had earlier in the day. tons of chocolate and plenty of coffee. the bitterness does well to combat any sweetness that shows its face. still has that almost sour bitter bready finish that I always expect from a porter. I wish I could give it a 4.75 but I'm really liking this one so I'll bump it up to a 5.

M/D- a full body, pleasantly low carbonation, and creamy feel make this a very nice drinking porter. it does have some heavy flavors that could weigh on you after having a few, but its delicious enough to keep you going

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Guinness Half & Half pint and the brew is a dark clear brown with a nice frothy 1 finger mocha colored head that receeds to cover the brew nicely. Nice heavy lacing on the glass.

The smell is of dark malted barley and a hint of dark chocolate.

The flavor follows the aroma with the chocolate being bitter sweet and the malts giving a roasted flavor. The bitterness is enough to keep the sweetness in check, giving way to a nice balance.

The mouth feel is smidge above medium with the alcohol well hidden. This is a very good straight up porter to me, no oatmeal, no coffee, and just some minor bitter sweet chocolate. I'd give it an A fer sure.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark, dark, DARK. I don't think I've seen a darker beer. You expect a porter to be dark, but typically you can see some reddish hues and light at the edges - not so here. Evenly opaque from the middle all the way to the side of the glass.

Smell: Probably the weakest quality of the beer, Not bad, but not as aromatic as I would like. Definite coffee and chocolate, but subdued. It doesn't jump out of the glass and punch you in the nose.

Taste: Burnt bitterness from the roasted malts. Perfect balance of coffee and chocolate - neither overwhelms the other. There is some sweetness, but it's at the back-end - you have to stop and think about it to notice. Carmel starts to come through as it warms a bit. I don't detect any vanilla, which is fine with me. The most balanced porter I've had, and I've had a few.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. On the heavy side of medium-bodied, with the ideal amount of carbonation to cut through the stickiness. Slides down smooth and easy.

Drinkability: Way up there. I could (and have) easily consume a full six-pack over the course of a long evening. I know a lot of IPA fans think of this as a winter beer, or something that you have one bottle of before moving on to your regular session brew. For me this is as "sessionable" as anything out there. But I feel that way about any beer I like. You can't have too much until you know it's time to stop drinking anyway.

This is my undisputed #1 favorite beer, of any style. Makes the much praised Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald seem clumsy by comparison. Porters are my favorite type of beer anyway, and this beer is so far above all the others that it's in a class of it's own. If you like dark ales, and you can get this where you live, you NEED to buy a six-pack at the earliest opportunity. As near perfection as it's possible to be.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours nearly jet black, small quickly dissipating head.

Smells robust and delicious.

Roasted coffee, chocolate malts, nice balanced bittering.

Very smooth, Creamy, rich mouthfeel. Warm in my belly.

In my opinion this is the finest porter I have consumed. Love you

12oz bottle poured into a goblet

Pours a dark brown/black with a fairly thin (1/2 finger) tan head. This looks like a beautiful porter.

Smells of roasted malts and a bit of chocolate. A hint of coffee as well.

This is a very tasty beer, strongly flavored by the roasted malts. Some of the chocolate, but a very vice bitter finish with the hops. An all around great tasting porter that is full of flavor.

Nicely carbonated - with a fairly light mouthfeel for such a full flavored porter

Overall this is one of my favorite porters I have had. When living on the west coast my go to porter was Deschutes Black Butte, living in the Midwest this was my go to porter. Noe with a move to the east coast I need to find a replacement (though I was fortunate to find this on the shelves in RI)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A - Pours thick, black, and viscous. When pint glass was held up to a light, it was completely opaque. About a half inch of toffee-colored head formed on top.

S - Roasty and sweet - kind of like a chocolate cake cut with the slightest hop aroma.

T - First, a bit of astringency from the roasted malt and carbonation. Then, the palate opens up with the sweetness from the rest of the malts. The aftertaste is of roasted coffee. Slight northwest-style hop biterness lingers on the tip of the tongue, too. Yeast esters open up as the beer get warmer.

M - Thick and glutinous. Delightful.

O - One of the best takes on the American style porter, up there with Black Butte and Smuttynose Robust Porter. Comes of as not too boozy or bitter for dinner, mid-afternoon, or, hell, even a breakfast beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a nonic. This beer pours very smooth, and it was honestly difficult to pour head. The little that I got was very dark. The beer was also quite dark, like a strong coffee color. Lacing formed all the way up the glass whenever tilted.

The aromas were roasted malt and coffee with a subtle presence of cocoa.

The taste fits the description of the smell. Very smooth, malty, a little chocolatey (not sweet), and somewhat fruity.

The mouthfeel was lacking in nothing. Very full, not watery at all. Very little carbonation, but that would ruin it

Overall this is excellent. One of my overall favorites.

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer was purchased as a sixer from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - fresh - poured into a tulip - live review - the beer is in front of me.

This beer. mama mia.

Black as night and just damn sexy lookin. The head is perfect and the carb is perfect. The crown is a mocha color that leaves a trail of tight lacing behind.
Smells dark.. yeah. Smells of roasty malts with coffee and bittersweet chocolate
Tastes like love. Honestly I really don't have words. Perfect balance of bittering hops and malt sweetness with a pinchy bite on the back of the tongue from the dark malts bitterness.

I want to shake the hand of the man or woman that brewed this beer.

Go buy it or trade for it. I have not personally had KBS or FBS but this is the best of 4 founders beers I've had. get it. now.

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance - Black and opaque in color. Has a heavy head which diminishes in a few minutes leaving a nice lacing.

Smell - Smokey molasses aroma.

Taste - Light hops and molasses taste.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, light carbonation, hint of bitterness.

Overall - It's full body, smokey, and not too bitter flavor make for a satisfying and easy to drink porter. I highly recommend this beer!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I am a fan of porters, and this one is excellent. I would recommend this beer in a heart beat if one was desiring a strong satisfying dark beer.

Appearance: Very smooth.

Smell: The aromas of the mixtures really cut through.

Taste: Very smooth, not hoppy, really quite delicious.

Mouthfeel: Slightly more bitter than I hoped for, but still good.

Drinkability: When I am stuck in the mid west I drink this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Pours black with a small, tan, frothy head. Great retention and lacing.

S- Really, really rich, dark coffee. Underlying sweeter scent, maybe chocolate. Also hints of caramel on the nose. Smelling this makes you not willing to wait to taste it.

T- This is the flagship beer for porters in my opinion. Great coffee and burnt malt notes off the bat. Not quite as strong as on the nose, but very well balanced. After the burnt malt profile, sweet hints of chocolate and caramel intermingle on the palate providing a lighter side. Only improvement to be made is the slight metallic ending.

M- Perfect wait to drink all night long. Somewhat heavy flavor profile is made sessionable but the relatively light weight on the palate.

Overall, this is going to be a staple of my fridge for years to come. THe flavor isn't quite as heavy and full as the other Founders I've had (FIS, FBS), but this is a year-round brew that is easily drinkable no matter the season.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Super dark brown my note says, although I remember it being not pitch black or anything. Almost a little red. Chocoalte brown head.
S: Great smell. A good amount of maltyness and reminded me of a good stout. Some coffee flavors in there. Also chocoalte.
T: A nearly (if not so) perfect beer here. Oh man that's good is my first note. Malty, roasty, a good caramel flavor that stood out just enough. Super smooth.
M: Sits perfect. The flavors come out with no harshness at all.

Overall a absolutely wonderful beer and certainly one of the best I've had. It was a great showing for the category and I will be hunting down more for sure.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Nice dark pour into a nonic. Tight head more like foam than bubbles. Very nice.
Taste is wonderfully smooth. Chocolate, coffee, malt smoothness. Very enjoyable. No bitterness or cloy at all that I usually get from a Porter.
Not a big fan of Porters but this is an exception.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Paid $1.99 for a 12oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a pint glass to review.

An aggressive pour leaves a very small tan head that dissipates quickly leaving little behind. Appears opaque black in color and leave no lacing.

Quite a pleasant and strong aroma, especially for a porter. This one actually reminds me of a bigger Baltic Porter or even an Imperial Stout. Simple yet quite robust and very effective; a perfect blend of sweet malts, dark chocolate and hints of coffee.

Taste brings the flavor as well. Similar in characteristic to the nose. Clean, robust, tasty and simple.

Medium full body and highly drinkable. Lightly carbonated with a long chocolaty sweet malt finish.

This is an excellent porter.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company