Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
4.86/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

wattoclone, Nov 14, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

A-Pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly. It is very thick. As a side note, after drinking a six pack it seems like you have to make the effort to pour this beer hard to get a decent head.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malts with a little alcohol creeping in as well.

T-Rich, chocolaty, with some coffee notes. A touch of hops as well. Simply delicious.

M-Silky smooth, delicate, and creamy.

D-To me it doesn't get any better than this. It is exceptionally drinkable due to its remarkable smoothness.

Overall I cannot praise this beer enough. When I think of porters I think of big robust masculine beers, but this beer seems different. It's rich, smooth, and creamy characteristics make it much more delicate than any other porter I've drank. If you are a fan of porters this is a must try. It truly is Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

thegodfather2701, Apr 03, 2009

jennben11, Aug 12, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Founders Porter is black with a massive foamy brown head. Between the pressure released when I cracked it, along with the overly foamy head, I feared infection, but none was found. The foamy leaves heavy chunks, rocky really, a bit Belgianesque.

Smell is caramel, almost nougat like. Really delicious.

Taste is very rich, this is a big ass porter, which I dig. Loads of cocoa, a little milk chocolate really, with a touch of caramel as well. Outstanding, wow.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonation but not overly so, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great, this a fantastic porter. The only frustration is the large head slows down the drinking! This is the best porter I've ever had, period.

ccrida, Dec 13, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12oz shortboy bottle into a pint glass. Pitch black with a stiff, rocky, creamy, tan head of about two fingers in size. Tons of lacing. Very pretty.

Aroma is superbly roasty and full of coffee goodness. Hints of vanilla and chocolate and a subtle fruitiness as well.

This one is damn good. Lots of coffee in the flavor. Plenty of other roasted cereals as well with a touch of choclate. Tastes just like Breakfast Stout with less alcohol.

I love this beer. Maybe closer to a stout than a porter, but damn is this beer delicious. Whatever category this is in, it is in a class of its own. Easily the best drining porter I have had. A bit pricey at over $11 for a six, so this cant be a standard offering in my house, but this was an really good beer.

SaCkErZ9, Jan 02, 2009
4.89/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This has clearly become my favorite porter over the past few years. The first time I had this porter was from a bottle and I fell in love instantly.

When I learned that my local distributor carried 1/4 barrels all year long I switched to the porter on tap. What a wonderful difference...on tap it is very creamy, smooth, and tasty with a thick, foamy head that leaves you with a beer mustache. Wonderful blend of coffee and chocolate hits you right away with a noticeable hop kick on the back end.

Founder's hits another home run with this delicious brew. You will not be disappointed!

gunnerlincoln, Aug 03, 2014
4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Founders Porter has a medium-to-thick, beige head, an extremely dark brown appearance, and a touch, here and there, of lacing left behind. The aroma is rich, sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, cream, and chocolate. Taste is of the same, with significant acidity and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and slick, and Founders Porter finishes semi-dry, delicious, and super-drinkable. Just a great, great beer!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Apr 20, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

gangstafaceclay, Feb 18, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, I am not a fan of Porters. I tried this in a sampling at a local brewery supply house where we were having a beer tasting. The aroma just carried into my skull, intoxicating my senses. As I took my sip, I dreaded it, but suddenly, a burst of creamy goodness splashed against my pallet. I look back up at the bottle and first scan the label... Porter?! Then I read a little higher... Oh, its Founders... obviously!

So, ya, this was a great experience.

UltramagnusX, Jun 02, 2013

Nolo, Sep 18, 2014

jbman73175, Aug 28, 2014

thebowski, Oct 09, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

This pours a dark molasses-cola color. There’s a big roasty aroma on it, full of dark chocolate and espresso beans. Great roasty flavor on it as well with a bit of a hop sharpness at the finish thanks to the 45 IBUs. The bitterness becomes most present as the flavor tapers off, not a floral/citrus hoppiness but a sharp bitter bite that complements the roast and dark chocolate flavors. Well-rounded and amazingly enjoyable. Wishing I brought a sixer of this back with me as I finished this one all too easily.

elNopalero, Jan 11, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my absolute favorite porter! Every time I'm at my local beer store, Peabody's, and I'm looking for a libation to warm me up on these cold mountain winters, the Founder's Porter is what I reach for. I love everything about this beer! The taste is awesome with dark, roasted malts and just enough hop flavor and aroma to compliment that dark, rich, and sexy mouth of real beer. The only thing I've had as good if not better is Caldera's "Mogli".

janglang34, Jan 25, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about.

yesyouam, Oct 08, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +16%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Deep black coloured ale with a coffee coloured, tightly packed bubbly head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Coffee, dark chocolate,charred wood, molasses, dark sugar, liquorice, treacle and raisins.

T. Milky , bitter chocolate, smoky, cured ham, liquorice.

M. Full bodied.

D. A beautiful porter, very drinkable and so pleased it is better than the Pale Ale I had. Caresses your taste buds and throat.

AEK, Apr 16, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +16%

I was really impressed by this one. The nose is filled with a strong presence of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and hints of coffee.

The aromas present in the nose all come through in taste as well (thankfully), with nothing really feeling lost of left out. It's a little hoppier than other offerings out there, but in a good way - I think it helps counterbalance the sweet components nicely and give this porter a little bite.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a slightly syrupy coating being left on the palette. While a lighter nature in the finish might make the beer a bit more drinkable, it would come at the expense of losing the great mouthfeel that (amongst other things) makes this one stand out from the crowd.

All in all, one of the best porters I've ever had. Highly recommended.

DCX, Nov 21, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pours black as night with no light penetrating this beer

Head: Rich malty dark brown head

Smell: Roosted malts with a light coco on the nose

Taste: Big burnt malts with an espresso bean and hops hit the sides of the palate, yum

Weight: Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Hops and burnt malts with a little stickiness on the lips

Snow81, Apr 02, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks MaxSpang

Appearance: A very dark brown, almost black. A light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer. Decent lacing still.

Smell: Coffee, light chocolate. Very pleasant, not overwhelming. Very good for the style.

Taste: Follows the nose. The chocolate is slightly more abundant. The taste packs a punch and is yet still mellow and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. I like how drinkable it is.

Overall: I'm a fan. Its too bad I don't have easier access to this beer. I highly recommend if you have the chance.

TheFlern, Dec 18, 2011
4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

jaramilr, Sep 01, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

Andrew61923, Jan 23, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

12oz bottle purchased on 2/26/11 one day after it arrived at the store. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass at cellar temperature (about 55 degrees.)

Pour reveals a very dark brown beer with a perfect tan head which dissipates to thin lacing which sticks to the edge of the glass from beginning to end (which didn't take long.)

Aroma of deep dark toasted malts. I smell chocolate milk. A hint of mocha. This is what I want to smell when I pour a porter.

Rich creamy malt flavor engulfs my whole palate. finish of semi-sweet chocolate and bitterness work together beautifully. A little coffee flavor too. Toasted raw barley flavor with the alcohol at the very end. Great balance of flavors.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Smooth with a medium carbonation that a porter should have.

Drinkable? Hell yea! Smooth as silk. Didn't take long for me to get through this one. Could hardly wait for each next sip.

This is a perfect porter. I'll be buying another six pack asap.

jongullotti, Feb 28, 2011