Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,409 | Reviews: 1,480
4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Served chilled in my stemless wine glass, for no other reason than it's a cool new glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a one-finger tan head. Head recedes rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Smells of a good dark roasted coffee, with a hint of vanilla. Some notes of good dark chocolate in there as well as a touch of toffee.

T: First sips reveal a very tasty dark roasty bitterness that I love. A hint of sweetness rounds it all out. This is one tasty porter.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. A nice creamy porter that packs alot of flavor in each sip, and has a pleasant aftertaste. Carbonation is on par with the style.

D: Very drinkable and inviting. I am thrilled that we'll soon have Founders available in Minnesota, as they make world-class brews. This will be my go-to porter.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

poured from the bottle with that old-school victoria woman on it to frosted pint glass:

looks nearly black, very very dark brown. the head that rises is also brown and dark, with somewhat larger bubbles that dissipate quickly. a ring of head hangs around the edges. no lacing noticed.

smells like a touch of coffee, then rich chocolates, and some roasty-ness. if it smells like this, the taste must be nice. mmmm....

the taste is nice. rich and flavorful. the roasty-ness is there for sure, with the rich chocolate flavor and only a touch of coffee. a some bitterness is there for sure, but only for balance. robust. i like.

the mouthfeel is nice. there is some carbonation dancing on the tongue but not a whole lot. which leads to a somewhat creamy and slightly thick feeling. a fuller body than some other ones for sure.

easy drinking here. i could probably polish off more than a few of these without struggle... but there's other beers so no need...

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this a few times but never got around to reviewing it. Bottled 6/27/12 Poured into a pint glass.

A: About one finger of mocha colored head after a very vigorous pour, which dissipated into some patch lace on top. Not much lacing on the glass itself. The beer is almost completely opaque with the slightest tint of red on the edges. Even tried to shine a flashlight through it and couldn't see anything.

S: Malt dominated with caramel and black malts coming though big time. Roastiness with some earthy tones in there and a hint of chocolate too.

T: All grain on this one. Nice deep dark flavors here. The roastiness in the nose gets swallowed up right away with caramel and earthy flavors. The earthyness in the middle does a nice job of balancing out the bitterness of the dark malt. Is there also a bit of licorice flavor in there? The after taste in this is just delightful! Roasted malt and dark chocolate linger on the palate to make you hesitate taking that next drink.

M: Medium to medium heavy mouthfeel. Very silky smooth.

O: A great example of a porter. Once again my home state comes out with a winner. If you like porters this is one to check out for sure. Great beer.

On-tap at Bar Louie.

A - Pours dark-dark-brown, almost black, like Guinness. About a finger of thick cream-colored head, but dissipates after a short time. Moderate lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, caramel malts. A touch of alcohol, even. All very roasty/toasty.

T - All the same as the smells, and additionally a healthy amount of bitterness, in a good way. Excellent.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-low carbonation. Almost warms you up as you drink it. Great body. Easy to take another healthy-sized slug right after.

O - You're not supposed to give many fives, but it's happening here...it almost feels like there should be more to say. This is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The best beer I've had to date.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. It has a very American smell. It’s pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It’s balanced perfectly. It’s bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, bordering on black with a slight reddish tint and two-fingers of super foamy dirty white head. I'm a big fan of a nice head on craft beer and this definitely fits the bill.

Aroma: Dark chocolate, roasted malts and some coffee and caramel. Really rich, really tasty smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coffee up front with some chocolate lingering close behind. Coffee bitterness dominates the after-taste. This is a good beer, I think it represents the style very well. There's definitely a heavy roasted malt taste but also nice chocolately and coffee notes that remind me a bit of a stout. Mouthfeel is super creamy and medium bodied with nice carbonation.

Notes: Drinkability is pretty good but this is a relatively heavy, bitter, and flavorful beer. Therefore I'd probably stop at just one of these, but the one is really good.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Haven't reviewed a beer in quite some time despite trying many many beers over the past few years...but this porter, wow! Had to write a few comments.

To be honest, it totally caught me by suprise. I haven't kept up with rankings and have really only heard the occasional hype about x or y special release beers. So to take a flyer on one of the couple of Founders beers I hadn't yet tried...man, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Appearance: Starts off with a great pour. I had mine from the bottle, but it poured a deep deep brownish black with tons of frothiness to it. The head was super pillowy and incredibly appealing

Smell: Equally alluring after the impressive pour. The smokiness really stands out to me here. Some of the same feedback I get when enjoying a good singlemalt...some smokey, almost peaty tones come through.

Taste: This is what its all about. The smokiness came alive with a burst of accompanying coffee, chocolate, caramel....all of which lingered. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich. Someone else mentioned that it was almost stout-like. I came away with the exact same impression. This isn't to say that it's untrue to the style. On the contrary, I think Founders has packed so much flavor into this particular porter...that the mouthfeel is just so much richer than what is typical.

This is one of the better beers (especially since Porters are not my favorite) I've had in a long time. It's actually got me excited about reviewing beers again...ha!

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent porter pours a dark malty color into a mason jar. ( thats all the glasses they had left)
Nice flavor of roasted malts. Head didn't last long maybe it was the glass. And to top off this great beer it was on special for 2.95 a bottle.

12oz bottle poured into a dimpled Guinness mug. Pours deep dark brown, nearly black. Nice tan head. Sweet malty aroma. Coffee/chocolate/caramel in the nose and palate. Nice roasty, bitter finish. Very thick, rich, velvety mouthfeel. Tiny bit of alcohol warmth. Very nice stuff all around, I'll have another!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark chocolate color into a pint glass and formed a half inch cocoa-colored head that dissipated over a few seconds.

Smells artificially smokey with some malt hints.

Tastes kinda acrid in it's bitterness with the smokey flavor coming on a little too strong for my tastes.

Crisp yet heavy feeling as it swishes around the palate.

I don't care much for the taste of this one, really smokey and bitter but not in a subtle way.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overall pretty good, nothing that really stood out but the common sweet taste that I like from these porters/ stouts

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured 12 oz into mug.

Like others have said this brew pours solid black with a thin gold/bronze head which goes away and leaves a ring with nice lacing.

Smell a bit of licorice and alcohol. Also toasted/burnt malts.

Taste exactly how I want my porters to taste. Complex flavors battle for top billing... smoke, dark chocolate, toasted grain, licorice. Delicious

mouthfeel smooth and silky.

Overall this is a damn good porter. I highly recommend and I will definitely buy again

3.75/5  rDev -12%

a - pours dark. you can maybe make a head if you our hard. dark. even the pour looks roasted.

s - ok here you can small the roast. hints of chocolate and coffee. not to my nose. but my nose is currently stuffed up. i smell the dark roast appeal.

t - ok here we go ..... nice dark taste. not heavy. not light just right for a porter. if you want porter this is it! no problem!

m - ok here is the deal. with stouts and porters sometimes i a drinking a beer milkshake. not here. IMHO good balance.

overall - U know in the 80's a polar vortex was called a COLD FRONT! . During these cold weather days this porter does the job. I drink it slow and enjoy it.

this is my review.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

General: I found this at a little craft beer spot. I'm a big fan of their breakfast stout and figured that since they had the porter I should try it. I poured this out of a standard 12 oz bottle into a chalice style glass.

Appearance: Great light tan head, the color of the beer itself is black, no two ways about it. There is lovely lacing on the glass after each sip. Very nice.

Aroma: Alcoholic aroma with a touch of coffee. It's got a nice chocolate note also that is really nice. It is a pretty straight forward porter, nice and clean flavors.

Mouthfeel: On the thicker end of the style but still acceptable. I really like it. Carbonation is moderate and is very nice. There is a touch of alcohol burn to this which is ok.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee and heavy maltiness. There is a touch of alcohol too which is fine but it's not that big because it's only 6.5% ABV.

Overall: I like this, I'm not crazy about it like I am their breakfast stout but this is a pretty good porter. I'm a fan and will drink it again, if you see it and you like porters this is a good example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black with a dark-brown tint when held up to the light, a beautiful light-brown, 1/4" head forms in my Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass. Aroma is expected-roasted and chocolate malt dominate the nose, hints of cocoa and earthy aromas.

Taste is roasty, coffee, burnt caramel, hints of dried fruit (apricot maybe?) and a clean bitter finish. Note for note, everything a porter should be. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too heavy which would push it into the stout porter territory, slightly dry with light carbonation.

Highly drinkable and recommended. A near perfect porter-it seems that some people are under the impression that porters should be extreme-I can understand a hopped up porter (I'm looking at you Alpha Klaus you tasty devil), but I can't understand the grain bill being upped-doesn't that make it more of a Stout Porter. Regardless, this is a near perfect porter. As Kurt Vonnegut said time and again, "if this isn't good, I don't know what is."

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

poured from 12 oz bottle into stange

A - Pours dark, almost black with a very nice 2 finger tan head with great retention. Slowly settles and leaves decent lacing

S - Mocha, chocolate, grains...nice

T - Exactly as the nose. Mocha/coffee, slight hint of chocolate, tasty malts. Warm and earthy!

M - Medium, moderate carbo, warm, lingering alcohol. Exactly as I would expect a porter to be.

O - Simply awesome. For a straight up porter its hard to beat this one I would think. I used to love this style and drifted away from it for a long time into the IPA world but I'm coming to love them again. Founders does it again! I love this brewery

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle poured black with almost no head into a pint glass. Smells of malt, dark chocolate and coffee. Front forward taste of strong espresso, not just the usual coffee flavor here. Sweet malt follows suit to balance some bitterness from the espresso, dark chocolate and surprisingly a little hops. A subtle smoky wood flavor in the finish. Another pleasant surprise is the nice amount of carbonation for a Porter, very silky in the mouth, not as thick as it looks. Overall a great example of everything a Porter should be.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Holy cannoli ravioli! This beer is a blast of complex flavors. What I get from it is roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and hops.

The appearance of this beer is outstanding. Pitch black! The smell is quite good for this style, and the taste is well balanced.

This isn't my type of beer. The people that I can imagine loving this beer are coffee drinkers, smokers, lumberjacks, people with thick beards, and unicyclists. This is the sort of beer you'd drink with a cigarette in the other hand , a donut (it would probably pair well with certain desserts), or an axe (psychopaths are not welcome to have this drink with an axe. no sir.)

I certainly could not drink more than one of these. It is so strong with its taste/flavor that I can still taste the roasted coffee even minutes after my last sip. Even Juan Valdez would think this coffee is strong.

This is certainly interesting! I haven't had a lot of porters but I can't imagine there being one better than this. Again, this isn't my style and I can't say that I really enjoy this beer, but you have to respect greatness. This beer is expertly crafted! If you are into the sort of flavor profiles listed above, this might be your new favorite drink! Coffee that gets you drunk. haha.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served into my Tremens glass!

Appearance: The body of this porter is black as night. And, it devours any light that would even think about passing through the void. However, this beer has NO head. Even with a vigorous pour, only small, copper colored bubbles decided to join the party. Disappointing.

Nose: Malty, malty, and yep....malty! Typical chocolate malt notes mixed with some of the classic roasty notes are here in my nose! Though there is a nice twing of some hop brightness.

Taste: If it looks like a porter, and smells like a porter, and tastes like a porter...yes...by god its a porter! Again, the typical chocolate maltiness mixed with some good toasty and coffee notes. There is a nice amount of hopping, nobles or hallertau? Pretty tasty.

Mouth: First thing is a pretty bright carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely, but isn't terribly thick and uncomfortable.

Drink: Not a session due to the slightly higher abv, but still pretty drinkable.

Overall: A pretty typical porter in my opinion, I've had better, I've had worse. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours so dark of a brown that it is essentially black, completely opaque; not a hint of light gets through. The head is dark cream and stays for a long time and leaves cream lacing on the glass. Best looking beer I ever poured so far.

S: Heavy on the chocolate even with my bad nose, some coffee and malt as well.

T: Chocolate and coffee come through strong, malty, and a little bitter from hops as well.

M: Smooth and well crafted, good carbonation level.

D: The one and only thing that I don't like about this beer is how heavy it sits in the stomach. It won't stop me from drinking it though and otherwise it is utterly amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This porter pours a dark color with a nice tan head. Good retention along the glass.

Founders Porter has a sweet and roasted malt aroma. It also has an aromatic dark malt and molasses nose.

This porter has a noticeable dark roast coffee at first taste. I also detect roasted malt and chocolate next. There's also a slight hops bitterness to cut the sweetness.

Founders Porter is not too thick tasting and is rather silky.

This beer has decent drinkability--even better for its style. The slight bitterness from the hops make it very drinkable for multiple beers. I rank Founders right up there with Bells and Shorts.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Can Founders make a bad beer?
This is a top of the line porter.
Beautiful color and rich head that entices a drink.
The firs taste is a tease that asks for another.
Very rich and full of aroma with sweet after taste.
Similar but lighter than Founders Imperial Stout which is world class.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Served from a bottle in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark black with a thick caramel colored head.

Smell: Tons of roasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate aromas.

Taste: Follows the aroma with a lovely chocolate flavor and a bitter roasted malt/coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation. An easy drinker.

Overall: I had never had this beer before and I picked up a single just to give it a try. Holy crap! Now I know what I have been missing. Next time I am at the liquor store I will be picking up a six pack.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company