Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Porter | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,508 | Hads: 6,854
4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Thick head, over an inch that is brown with big bubbles. Head dissipates slowly. Completely opaque with a reddish tint near the edges.

S - Malt, prunes, chocolate

T - Dark sweet fruits at the front. Chocolate in the middle. A mild hoppy bitter finish. No strong alcohol taste.

M - Minimal alcohol and carbonation burn.

O - A solidly good beer, but nothing exciting. Does what it needs to as a porter. Not too bitter, with a nice taste.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Haven't reviewed a beer in quite some time despite trying many many beers over the past few years...but this porter, wow! Had to write a few comments.

To be honest, it totally caught me by suprise. I haven't kept up with rankings and have really only heard the occasional hype about x or y special release beers. So to take a flyer on one of the couple of Founders beers I hadn't yet tried...man, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Appearance: Starts off with a great pour. I had mine from the bottle, but it poured a deep deep brownish black with tons of frothiness to it. The head was super pillowy and incredibly appealing

Smell: Equally alluring after the impressive pour. The smokiness really stands out to me here. Some of the same feedback I get when enjoying a good singlemalt...some smokey, almost peaty tones come through.

Taste: This is what its all about. The smokiness came alive with a burst of accompanying coffee, chocolate, caramel....all of which lingered. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich. Someone else mentioned that it was almost stout-like. I came away with the exact same impression. This isn't to say that it's untrue to the style. On the contrary, I think Founders has packed so much flavor into this particular porter...that the mouthfeel is just so much richer than what is typical.

This is one of the better beers (especially since Porters are not my favorite) I've had in a long time. It's actually got me excited about reviewing beers again...ha!

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Served chilled in my stemless wine glass, for no other reason than it's a cool new glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a one-finger tan head. Head recedes rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Smells of a good dark roasted coffee, with a hint of vanilla. Some notes of good dark chocolate in there as well as a touch of toffee.

T: First sips reveal a very tasty dark roasty bitterness that I love. A hint of sweetness rounds it all out. This is one tasty porter.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. A nice creamy porter that packs alot of flavor in each sip, and has a pleasant aftertaste. Carbonation is on par with the style.

D: Very drinkable and inviting. I am thrilled that we'll soon have Founders available in Minnesota, as they make world-class brews. This will be my go-to porter.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

poured from the bottle with that old-school victoria woman on it to frosted pint glass:

looks nearly black, very very dark brown. the head that rises is also brown and dark, with somewhat larger bubbles that dissipate quickly. a ring of head hangs around the edges. no lacing noticed.

smells like a touch of coffee, then rich chocolates, and some roasty-ness. if it smells like this, the taste must be nice. mmmm....

the taste is nice. rich and flavorful. the roasty-ness is there for sure, with the rich chocolate flavor and only a touch of coffee. a some bitterness is there for sure, but only for balance. robust. i like.

the mouthfeel is nice. there is some carbonation dancing on the tongue but not a whole lot. which leads to a somewhat creamy and slightly thick feeling. a fuller body than some other ones for sure.

easy drinking here. i could probably polish off more than a few of these without struggle... but there's other beers so no need...

On-tap at Bar Louie.

A - Pours dark-dark-brown, almost black, like Guinness. About a finger of thick cream-colored head, but dissipates after a short time. Moderate lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, caramel malts. A touch of alcohol, even. All very roasty/toasty.

T - All the same as the smells, and additionally a healthy amount of bitterness, in a good way. Excellent.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-low carbonation. Almost warms you up as you drink it. Great body. Easy to take another healthy-sized slug right after.

O - You're not supposed to give many fives, but it's happening here...it almost feels like there should be more to say. This is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The best beer I've had to date.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. It has a very American smell. It’s pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It’s balanced perfectly. It’s bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, bordering on black with a slight reddish tint and two-fingers of super foamy dirty white head. I'm a big fan of a nice head on craft beer and this definitely fits the bill.

Aroma: Dark chocolate, roasted malts and some coffee and caramel. Really rich, really tasty smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coffee up front with some chocolate lingering close behind. Coffee bitterness dominates the after-taste. This is a good beer, I think it represents the style very well. There's definitely a heavy roasted malt taste but also nice chocolately and coffee notes that remind me a bit of a stout. Mouthfeel is super creamy and medium bodied with nice carbonation.

Notes: Drinkability is pretty good but this is a relatively heavy, bitter, and flavorful beer. Therefore I'd probably stop at just one of these, but the one is really good.

12oz bottle poured into a dimpled Guinness mug. Pours deep dark brown, nearly black. Nice tan head. Sweet malty aroma. Coffee/chocolate/caramel in the nose and palate. Nice roasty, bitter finish. Very thick, rich, velvety mouthfeel. Tiny bit of alcohol warmth. Very nice stuff all around, I'll have another!

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark chocolate color into a pint glass and formed a half inch cocoa-colored head that dissipated over a few seconds.

Smells artificially smokey with some malt hints.

Tastes kinda acrid in it's bitterness with the smokey flavor coming on a little too strong for my tastes.

Crisp yet heavy feeling as it swishes around the palate.

I don't care much for the taste of this one, really smokey and bitter but not in a subtle way.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Another memorable Founders experience! An opaque, dark brown body with lingering tan head. Smells clean with caramel sweetness. Taste is somewhere between toasty malts and caramel, but this porter is well-hopped too. As it warms, roasted notes really come through. Mouthfeel is a pleasant, creamy carbonation with slight alcohol warmth. Overall, a roasted malt concoction perfect for a winter night. Definitely recommend.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Can Founders make a bad beer?
This is a top of the line porter.
Beautiful color and rich head that entices a drink.
The firs taste is a tease that asks for another.
Very rich and full of aroma with sweet after taste.
Similar but lighter than Founders Imperial Stout which is world class.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured 12 oz into mug.

Like others have said this brew pours solid black with a thin gold/bronze head which goes away and leaves a ring with nice lacing.

Smell a bit of licorice and alcohol. Also toasted/burnt malts.

Taste exactly how I want my porters to taste. Complex flavors battle for top billing... smoke, dark chocolate, toasted grain, licorice. Delicious

mouthfeel smooth and silky.

Overall this is a damn good porter. I highly recommend and I will definitely buy again

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Holy cannoli ravioli! This beer is a blast of complex flavors. What I get from it is roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and hops.

The appearance of this beer is outstanding. Pitch black! The smell is quite good for this style, and the taste is well balanced.

This isn't my type of beer. The people that I can imagine loving this beer are coffee drinkers, smokers, lumberjacks, people with thick beards, and unicyclists. This is the sort of beer you'd drink with a cigarette in the other hand , a donut (it would probably pair well with certain desserts), or an axe (psychopaths are not welcome to have this drink with an axe. no sir.)

I certainly could not drink more than one of these. It is so strong with its taste/flavor that I can still taste the roasted coffee even minutes after my last sip. Even Juan Valdez would think this coffee is strong.

This is certainly interesting! I haven't had a lot of porters but I can't imagine there being one better than this. Again, this isn't my style and I can't say that I really enjoy this beer, but you have to respect greatness. This beer is expertly crafted! If you are into the sort of flavor profiles listed above, this might be your new favorite drink! Coffee that gets you drunk. haha.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

General: I found this at a little craft beer spot. I'm a big fan of their breakfast stout and figured that since they had the porter I should try it. I poured this out of a standard 12 oz bottle into a chalice style glass.

Appearance: Great light tan head, the color of the beer itself is black, no two ways about it. There is lovely lacing on the glass after each sip. Very nice.

Aroma: Alcoholic aroma with a touch of coffee. It's got a nice chocolate note also that is really nice. It is a pretty straight forward porter, nice and clean flavors.

Mouthfeel: On the thicker end of the style but still acceptable. I really like it. Carbonation is moderate and is very nice. There is a touch of alcohol burn to this which is ok.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee and heavy maltiness. There is a touch of alcohol too which is fine but it's not that big because it's only 6.5% ABV.

Overall: I like this, I'm not crazy about it like I am their breakfast stout but this is a pretty good porter. I'm a fan and will drink it again, if you see it and you like porters this is a good example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours black with a dark-brown tint when held up to the light, a beautiful light-brown, 1/4" head forms in my Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass. Aroma is expected-roasted and chocolate malt dominate the nose, hints of cocoa and earthy aromas.

Taste is roasty, coffee, burnt caramel, hints of dried fruit (apricot maybe?) and a clean bitter finish. Note for note, everything a porter should be. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too heavy which would push it into the stout porter territory, slightly dry with light carbonation.

Highly drinkable and recommended. A near perfect porter-it seems that some people are under the impression that porters should be extreme-I can understand a hopped up porter (I'm looking at you Alpha Klaus you tasty devil), but I can't understand the grain bill being upped-doesn't that make it more of a Stout Porter. Regardless, this is a near perfect porter. As Kurt Vonnegut said time and again, "if this isn't good, I don't know what is."

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

poured from 12 oz bottle into stange

A - Pours dark, almost black with a very nice 2 finger tan head with great retention. Slowly settles and leaves decent lacing

S - Mocha, chocolate, grains...nice

T - Exactly as the nose. Mocha/coffee, slight hint of chocolate, tasty malts. Warm and earthy!

M - Medium, moderate carbo, warm, lingering alcohol. Exactly as I would expect a porter to be.

O - Simply awesome. For a straight up porter its hard to beat this one I would think. I used to love this style and drifted away from it for a long time into the IPA world but I'm coming to love them again. Founders does it again! I love this brewery

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle poured black with almost no head into a pint glass. Smells of malt, dark chocolate and coffee. Front forward taste of strong espresso, not just the usual coffee flavor here. Sweet malt follows suit to balance some bitterness from the espresso, dark chocolate and surprisingly a little hops. A subtle smoky wood flavor in the finish. Another pleasant surprise is the nice amount of carbonation for a Porter, very silky in the mouth, not as thick as it looks. Overall a great example of everything a Porter should be.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great porter! I'm actually very surprised that the class 6 here on ft polk carries such high quality beer. I guess they figure some soldiers actually want top notch beverages. Anyways, I recommend it to anyone who loves beer.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle

A: black with a two finger head light brown mocha head.
S: dark roasted coffe in the initial smell a dark chocolate and roasted malt in the back of the nose.
T: At first a very dark roasted coffe flavor, dark chocolate roasted malt flavored very mild burnt Carmel .
M: a big porter full body very tasty.
O: this is one of my favorite porters and one of my favorite from founders very filling beer. Very nice to sip on.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served into my Tremens glass!

Appearance: The body of this porter is black as night. And, it devours any light that would even think about passing through the void. However, this beer has NO head. Even with a vigorous pour, only small, copper colored bubbles decided to join the party. Disappointing.

Nose: Malty, malty, and yep....malty! Typical chocolate malt notes mixed with some of the classic roasty notes are here in my nose! Though there is a nice twing of some hop brightness.

Taste: If it looks like a porter, and smells like a porter, and tastes like a porter...yes...by god its a porter! Again, the typical chocolate maltiness mixed with some good toasty and coffee notes. There is a nice amount of hopping, nobles or hallertau? Pretty tasty.

Mouth: First thing is a pretty bright carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely, but isn't terribly thick and uncomfortable.

Drink: Not a session due to the slightly higher abv, but still pretty drinkable.

Overall: A pretty typical porter in my opinion, I've had better, I've had worse. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Pours so dark of a brown that it is essentially black, completely opaque; not a hint of light gets through. The head is dark cream and stays for a long time and leaves cream lacing on the glass. Best looking beer I ever poured so far.

S: Heavy on the chocolate even with my bad nose, some coffee and malt as well.

T: Chocolate and coffee come through strong, malty, and a little bitter from hops as well.

M: Smooth and well crafted, good carbonation level.

D: The one and only thing that I don't like about this beer is how heavy it sits in the stomach. It won't stop me from drinking it though and otherwise it is utterly amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

This porter pours a dark color with a nice tan head. Good retention along the glass.

Founders Porter has a sweet and roasted malt aroma. It also has an aromatic dark malt and molasses nose.

This porter has a noticeable dark roast coffee at first taste. I also detect roasted malt and chocolate next. There's also a slight hops bitterness to cut the sweetness.

Founders Porter is not too thick tasting and is rather silky.

This beer has decent drinkability--even better for its style. The slight bitterness from the hops make it very drinkable for multiple beers. I rank Founders right up there with Bells and Shorts.

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle into a snifter glass. Paid £2.70 for a single bottle.

Pours an opaque, dark, black body, that when held to the light displays lovely ruby tinges and a small amount of slow rising carbonation bubbles. A two-finger in height, dense, mocha coloured head reduces quickly to a thin film and foamy collar, leaving behind small amounts of spotty, soapy lacing on the glass.

On the nose it is sweet overall, with mild aromas of toasted malts, milk chocolate, lightly roasted coffee, dark fruits, and a subtle smokiness hidden away in the background. The taste mimics the nose but as a bolder more intense and complex version. Upfront, rich, roasted dark malts, burnt toast, and roasted coffee are followed by lighter, sweeter malts, along with a touch of milk chocolate and tangy dark fruits. The body has a satisfyingly generous amount of weight and heft for a porter, which combined with fittingly low but not flat carbonation give it a deliciously smooth, creamy and silky mouth feel. A combination of charred, roasted dark malts and crisp bitter hops give a smooth, complex, dry, earthy, smoky finish that lingers on the palate.

Overall this is an excellent beer. Incredibly well balanced, easily drinkable, and reasonable value for money, I would certainly recommend it to a friend and will looking to try it again in the near future.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company