Follow our progress ...

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Reviews: 1,546 | Ratings: 7,040
3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours deep brown/black with about a finger of tan head, little retention or lacing.
S: Roastiness, chocolate, coffee.
T: Coffee, roastiness, a little hoppy, slightly sweet, bitter, very strong with alcohol.
M: Thick, creamy, pretty carbonated.
D: The ABV isn't too high with this beer, but for whatever reason I felt like the taste of alcohol or something was too overwhelming. Almost enough to make me not like this beer. Overall its a good beer, but I would probably look for other porters.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Here's my first of my first set of reviews! Let me know how to improve!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

I used a fast pouring technique, but the head remainged small and it disipated quickly.

It's a pitch black porter. I held it up to my kitchen light and absolutely no light was penetrating it.

It has a nice smokey smell, reminds me of old homes (in a good way). A hint of dark chocolate mixes with it.

The initial taste is almost woodsey and that slightly earthen taste mixes well with the scent. It's a treat for the senses. It's not a "filling" porter, but it's a great sipping beer.

Possibly, in part, due to the lower alcohol content of this porter, it has a pretty high drinkability. This is my "go to" porter, my favorite style as a craft beer newbie, and I always make sure I grab a bottle or two when I hit the craft beer store.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours a solid black body with a very minimal mocha colored head. Minimal amounts of lacing.

S- Roasted malt character up front. Notes of coffee, caramel, and bittersweet chocolate. The slightest hint of alcohol pokes through.

T- Exceptional, and similar to smell. Roasted malts and coffee flavors immediately strike the palate, followed by the dark chocolate and caramel flavors. There is a somewhat pleasant bitterness in the aftertaste. The coffee flavors become extremely more prevalent as the beer warms up.

M- Very full and rich. Relatively low carbonation, even for the style. Nothing I'll ever complain about, though.

D- Sits rather heavy. I'm not sure if I could drink more than two. Great after dinner beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Big and dark brown, with a milk chocolate head, this thing checks in a little heavier than most, at 6.5 percent ABV. There's a full rounded mouthfeel and excellent head retention, indicating a nice protein body, with a generous and completely balanced hop finish.

Although not as well known as many of their offerings, this is an above average porter, an excellent winter warmer, and one well worth seeking out.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours nice and thick with a dark cream colored head.

Smells like coffee and molasses sweetness bundled into one nice package

Taste is pretty strong for a porter. For an american porter it is pretty heavy and thick. It is a nice taste though, much like the smell. Perhaps with a touch of chocolate bitterness and earthy hops not present in the smell.

Overall, a strange porter. It is very thick and very flavorful. Not something I could have more than one of, which is disappointing for the style. This is more like an american stout in my opinion.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Holy cannoli ravioli! This beer is a blast of complex flavors. What I get from it is roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and hops.

The appearance of this beer is outstanding. Pitch black! The smell is quite good for this style, and the taste is well balanced.

This isn't my type of beer. The people that I can imagine loving this beer are coffee drinkers, smokers, lumberjacks, people with thick beards, and unicyclists. This is the sort of beer you'd drink with a cigarette in the other hand , a donut (it would probably pair well with certain desserts), or an axe (psychopaths are not welcome to have this drink with an axe. no sir.)

I certainly could not drink more than one of these. It is so strong with its taste/flavor that I can still taste the roasted coffee even minutes after my last sip. Even Juan Valdez would think this coffee is strong.

This is certainly interesting! I haven't had a lot of porters but I can't imagine there being one better than this. Again, this isn't my style and I can't say that I really enjoy this beer, but you have to respect greatness. This beer is expertly crafted! If you are into the sort of flavor profiles listed above, this might be your new favorite drink! Coffee that gets you drunk. haha.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Bitter in the front, smooth and slightly chewy in the back.

I love the surprisingly bold addition of hops that bucket balances the smooth chocolate base.

Good when its cold but better as it warms up

Chocolatey and smooth as heck.

Can't go wrong with a 6 pack of this in your fridge.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Dark brown to black color with thin tan head with nice lacing

S-Very clean and malty smelling almost like a lager, hints of dark roasted malts

T-Cacao, dark chocolate malt flavors up front balanced by a modest hop bitterness

M-Full bodied, medium carbontation, very satiating

O-Would be definitely one of my top picks for a beer to sustain oneself with over a long cold winter, rich and malty without being cloying.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is quite possibly my favorite beer that I can actually afford to buy on a regular basis. Just now getting around to reviewing it.

A: Looks like your standard porter--nearly black and nearly opaque, but when held up to the light proves to be a dark reddish-brown. The head is tan and has a sort of rolling foaminess to it.

S: You can smell this from several feet away. It smells like coffee and dark chocolate and roasted barley. It smells like a porter, but more so than most porters.

T: What you smell is what you taste. There's nothing too surprising here once you've smelled it. It's richly sweet, balanced by a strong coffee-like bitterness and a bit of earthy hops. Again, it's just what you expect from a porter, just better than you'll get from other porters.

M: The mouthfeel is full without having that almost syrupy consistency that a big stout would have. It's recognizably a porter, but on the thick end of that spectrum. Similarly, it's less carbonated than most porters, but it's still a little more carbonated than, say, Breakfast Stout, which keeps it pretty drinkable. The coffee-like finish lingers, giving you the sense that you're still drinking it for a while after you no longer are.

Overall: For my money, this is the best non-imperial porter out there.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this a few times but never got around to reviewing it. Bottled 6/27/12 Poured into a pint glass.

A: About one finger of mocha colored head after a very vigorous pour, which dissipated into some patch lace on top. Not much lacing on the glass itself. The beer is almost completely opaque with the slightest tint of red on the edges. Even tried to shine a flashlight through it and couldn't see anything.

S: Malt dominated with caramel and black malts coming though big time. Roastiness with some earthy tones in there and a hint of chocolate too.

T: All grain on this one. Nice deep dark flavors here. The roastiness in the nose gets swallowed up right away with caramel and earthy flavors. The earthyness in the middle does a nice job of balancing out the bitterness of the dark malt. Is there also a bit of licorice flavor in there? The after taste in this is just delightful! Roasted malt and dark chocolate linger on the palate to make you hesitate taking that next drink.

M: Medium to medium heavy mouthfeel. Very silky smooth.

O: A great example of a porter. Once again my home state comes out with a winner. If you like porters this is one to check out for sure. Great beer.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Dark, smooth, goth mouthfeel. Pours dark with a nice dark brown head. Chocolate notes with some nice roasted malt. Very very well done porter.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Served chilled in my stemless wine glass, for no other reason than it's a cool new glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a one-finger tan head. Head recedes rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Smells of a good dark roasted coffee, with a hint of vanilla. Some notes of good dark chocolate in there as well as a touch of toffee.

T: First sips reveal a very tasty dark roasty bitterness that I love. A hint of sweetness rounds it all out. This is one tasty porter.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. A nice creamy porter that packs alot of flavor in each sip, and has a pleasant aftertaste. Carbonation is on par with the style.

D: Very drinkable and inviting. I am thrilled that we'll soon have Founders available in Minnesota, as they make world-class brews. This will be my go-to porter.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

poured from the bottle with that old-school victoria woman on it to frosted pint glass:

looks nearly black, very very dark brown. the head that rises is also brown and dark, with somewhat larger bubbles that dissipate quickly. a ring of head hangs around the edges. no lacing noticed.

smells like a touch of coffee, then rich chocolates, and some roasty-ness. if it smells like this, the taste must be nice. mmmm....

the taste is nice. rich and flavorful. the roasty-ness is there for sure, with the rich chocolate flavor and only a touch of coffee. a some bitterness is there for sure, but only for balance. robust. i like.

the mouthfeel is nice. there is some carbonation dancing on the tongue but not a whole lot. which leads to a somewhat creamy and slightly thick feeling. a fuller body than some other ones for sure.

easy drinking here. i could probably polish off more than a few of these without struggle... but there's other beers so no need...

On-tap at Bar Louie.

A - Pours dark-dark-brown, almost black, like Guinness. About a finger of thick cream-colored head, but dissipates after a short time. Moderate lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, caramel malts. A touch of alcohol, even. All very roasty/toasty.

T - All the same as the smells, and additionally a healthy amount of bitterness, in a good way. Excellent.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-low carbonation. Almost warms you up as you drink it. Great body. Easy to take another healthy-sized slug right after.

O - You're not supposed to give many fives, but it's happening here...it almost feels like there should be more to say. This is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The best beer I've had to date.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. It has a very American smell. It’s pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It’s balanced perfectly. It’s bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Another memorable Founders experience! An opaque, dark brown body with lingering tan head. Smells clean with caramel sweetness. Taste is somewhere between toasty malts and caramel, but this porter is well-hopped too. As it warms, roasted notes really come through. Mouthfeel is a pleasant, creamy carbonation with slight alcohol warmth. Overall, a roasted malt concoction perfect for a winter night. Definitely recommend.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, bordering on black with a slight reddish tint and two-fingers of super foamy dirty white head. I'm a big fan of a nice head on craft beer and this definitely fits the bill.

Aroma: Dark chocolate, roasted malts and some coffee and caramel. Really rich, really tasty smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coffee up front with some chocolate lingering close behind. Coffee bitterness dominates the after-taste. This is a good beer, I think it represents the style very well. There's definitely a heavy roasted malt taste but also nice chocolately and coffee notes that remind me a bit of a stout. Mouthfeel is super creamy and medium bodied with nice carbonation.

Notes: Drinkability is pretty good but this is a relatively heavy, bitter, and flavorful beer. Therefore I'd probably stop at just one of these, but the one is really good.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great porter! I'm actually very surprised that the class 6 here on ft polk carries such high quality beer. I guess they figure some soldiers actually want top notch beverages. Anyways, I recommend it to anyone who loves beer.

12oz bottle poured into a dimpled Guinness mug. Pours deep dark brown, nearly black. Nice tan head. Sweet malty aroma. Coffee/chocolate/caramel in the nose and palate. Nice roasty, bitter finish. Very thick, rich, velvety mouthfeel. Tiny bit of alcohol warmth. Very nice stuff all around, I'll have another!

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark chocolate color into a pint glass and formed a half inch cocoa-colored head that dissipated over a few seconds.

Smells artificially smokey with some malt hints.

Tastes kinda acrid in it's bitterness with the smokey flavor coming on a little too strong for my tastes.

Crisp yet heavy feeling as it swishes around the palate.

I don't care much for the taste of this one, really smokey and bitter but not in a subtle way.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had been meaning to try this one for a while and actually hadn't intended on buying it yesterday, but when I was charged twice for another Founder's single, I just picked it up. Boy am I glad I did. No bottle date, poured into my Delirium tulip. The last beer I'll have had out of it since I knocked it off my counter top shortly afterwards. Can't really drink out of a million tiny shards of glass.

A: Dark as night, much darker than I expected it to be. No light coming through on this one. Small light tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Coffee and dark malts. A bit of cocoa as it warms up. Smells delicious and I can't wait to get into this one.

T: Wow x 100. Coffee and cocoa all over again, almost like a mini Breakfast Stout in my eyes. I haven't had many robust porters I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I want an IV of this.

M: Smooth doesn't begin to describe this. Decently thick, but not as much as FBS. Amazing. Great lingering aftertaste. Want more.

O: This is probably the best porter I've ever had. This has officially supplanted Smuttynose Robust Porter as my go-to porter. Thanks to Table and Vine for charging me twice...otherwise I don't know when I would have bitten the bullet and gotten a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Can Founders make a bad beer?
This is a top of the line porter.
Beautiful color and rich head that entices a drink.
The firs taste is a tease that asks for another.
Very rich and full of aroma with sweet after taste.
Similar but lighter than Founders Imperial Stout which is world class.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Appear : Black, brown foamy head.
Aroma : Roasted, little bit of burnt, chocolate, coffee, some earthy hops.
Mouthfeel : Medium body, Medium-high carbonation.
Taste : Soft chocolate, coffee taste first, and then roasted, burnt, hop bitter finish.
Overall : Great stout, soft but strong. This beer is like a "American Stout 101", the malt characteristic is so well-presented.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured 12 oz into mug.

Like others have said this brew pours solid black with a thin gold/bronze head which goes away and leaves a ring with nice lacing.

Smell a bit of licorice and alcohol. Also toasted/burnt malts.

Taste exactly how I want my porters to taste. Complex flavors battle for top billing... smoke, dark chocolate, toasted grain, licorice. Delicious

mouthfeel smooth and silky.

Overall this is a damn good porter. I highly recommend and I will definitely buy again

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company